The Emily Program Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Steve Troutner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Eating Disorder Technician"

I have been working at The Emily Program part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid team morale, good communication, free education credits towards learning more in the field through the company, health care if full-time

Cons

No weekend pay differential, senior management does not understand day-to-day activities in residential treatment and limit resources available for residential staff because of this

"Great Coworker Atmosphere, But No room for Individual Growth"

I worked at The Emily Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked at residential site

- Had wonderful experience connecting with coworkers and getting observations or feedback, or bouncing ideas off each other.
    Supervisor was also pretty transparent about changes as they occurred and had open door policy to discussing challenges.
    TEP advocated independent decisions and flexibility instead of strict rules for clients
    TEP emphasized person centered approach to client treatment
    Good for Pre-graduate work experience in mental health treatment (Don't recommend for anyone with Masters, little growth potential, despite promises.)

Cons

-HR and corporation as whole didn't seem to care about workers and cared more about cutting the budget to expand the company nationally.
    Very "for profit" mentality in a mental health care site (short staffed, high caseload, constant budget cutting measures.)
    Budget cuts, short staffing created high burnout, and unbalanced work/life expectations such as coming in on days off, staying late consistently.
    -Job offer promises/expectations at hire were drastically changed midway through year in a way that bordered questionable practice:
    a.k.a. free supervision for licensing was revoked, chance to carry an outpatient caseload was "frozen" indefinitely.
    -Transition to full-time was presented as incentive for hire, took half a year to become eligible for benefits and full time hours.
    -Turnover cited at about a year for EDTs
    -HR had huge disconnect with staffing needs at residential sites
    -EDT role not really suited for professional growth with anyone ABOVE Bachelors looking for pre-licensed work. Unfortunately was advertised as suitable because they're looking for more skilled workers, but want to treat and pay them the same as B.A. level employees.
    -Client population was one with chronic mental illness and challenging co-morbidities, staff didn't always receive support or training necessary to feel competent

Advice to Management

To direct supervisors, try more to create open forms so staff can voice concerns to higher ups instead of become more frustrated talking among themselves.

To MANAGEMENT: Don't put company expansion to new states over the QUALITY of the care. (Even clients can see the decline of care.)

Do more to create incentive and growth for employees. DON'T budget cut positions after you've ALREADY HIRED individuals with expectations, it's bad practice!

3. "Pretty great place"

Former Employee - Therapist
    Former Employee - Therapist

I worked at The Emily Program full-time

Pros

Extremely talented team of therapists and dietitians, a culture that values input from all employees, decent pay and benefits, lots of opportunities for learning and training.

Cons

High caseloads and high productivity requirements can lead to burnout. Rapidly growing office that needed more space than was being provided by upper management. It can be difficult that the head office is in MN. Health benefits kind of sucked.

Advice to Management

It might be nice to get health benefits that are based in the same state as the employees, as having out of state coverage meant I lost a lot of health coverage I had before I had this job.

"Little Value in Employees"

I have been working at The Emily Program (More than a year)

Pros

Site team created a great community of support. Staff genuinely cared about the clients and dedicated to each individual client's treatment and recovery.

Cons

Health benefits could be better
    Upper management makes quick decisions with little regard for employee impact
    Quick to overspend (show a pattern of over investing in new prospects versus spending as needed and applying more budget as the prospect become more succesful).

Advice to Management

Plan out new investments better. Value your employees more. It's okay to be business focused, but when that comes at the expense of your dedicated employees and interrupting client care, it shows the company's values in a negative light.

5. "Good Company, Good Mission"

I have been working at The Emily Program full-time

Pros

Growing fast, laid back atmosphere though.

Cons

The fast growing is also a detriment, they struggle to keep up sometimes.

Advice to Management

Streamline the HR portion, define career paths, build in salary increases each year instead of randomly.

"Very satisfying place to work"

I worked at The Emily Program full-time

Pros

I love my job and everything we have to offer our clients. I can't speak for every site but my manager is absolutely amazing- she genuinely cares about her team of employees. I likely would have quit 10x over without her there and if she left I would also likely follow.

Cons

Higher management is for profit-they're lucky they have hired passionate employees but they are the reason for the turnover rate in employees. Over time education funds have diminished to nothing for employees - main issue from high up is feeling undervalued

Advice to Management

Not everything on paper works in practice. You went into this field to help others and yes at times you're disconnected from that but spend time in the field and reconnect!!!

"Lies"

I worked at The Emily Program full-time

Pros

Unsure, ok at the beginning g, then true colors came out

Cons

Broken promises, to,d our jobs were safe. They ruined me

Advice to Management

Quit lying

"Anonymous"

I have been working at The Emily Program full-time

Pros

Competitive pay
    Beware... this is how you get sucked in
    Nice facilities
    If you want to work with ED this a place that treats ED

Cons

High turnover
    Incoherent management
    Little concern for patients from upper management
    Many clinical decisions made my individuals with no clinical experience
    Top heavy
    Too many committees that do nothing
    EMR system is poor
    HR is disorganized

Advice to Management

If you'd like to make more money, which appears to be your sole concern, reassess the number of people you employ who provide no billable services. You may even provide better client care at the same time.

"Proceed with Caution Someone is Fired Weekly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at The Emily Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The program has a good mission. Compensation is good, lots of people leaving so they are hiring!

Cons

You need to understand going in the door it is a FOR PROFIT company. What matters most is bottom line.

Advice to Management

Provide clear expectations and written feedback. The high turn over is very hard on morale. You're quick sand.

"Wasting Grant and Investor Money"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at The Emily Program full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great care for clients with eating disorders

Cons

Continuously adding offices that are empty. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars decorating EMPTY buildings at the expense of tax payers, insurance companies and investors to create high paid jobs for themselves. Most of the properties they lease are empty or nearly empty. When I pointed out the need to fill the spaces or sub-lease them, I was 'laid off' the same day.

Advice to Management

Trying being ethical and honest. You treat client well become they are a source of revenue but staff is treated badly.