ThinkGeek Reviews | Glassdoor

Kathryn McCarthy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Anonymous"

I have been working at ThinkGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. The employees are friendly and work hard. Pet Friendly environment.

Cons

You'll gain weight. Special food day it seem's every other day.

Jul 12, 2017 – VP, Human Resources

Thanks very much for your review and we agree...it is a great place to work! And don't ever forget, one of the biggest reasons ThinkGeek is such as great place to work is because of the... More

"Really fun place to work!"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ThinkGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Previously, I worked at a pretty large, traditional accounting/consulting firm, and I am truly loving ThinkGeek so far. The culture is super relaxed and right up my alley. I get to wear a t-shirt and jeans to work, and there's tons of free geeky swag at the office. At least for me, the commute is totally reasonable (about 15-20 min). Also, I never realized how much I was missing out by not having a real desk with two monitors and a docking station. The people really do make this place though. Everyone I work with from management on down is really honest, understanding, and fun. But yeah overall, I couldn't be happier.

Cons

The holiday season is pretty hectic, since November-December is when we do a good bit of our business for the year, but no different from any other gift retailer in that respect. Because it's a smaller company where people wear a lot of different hats, there is a lot of task switching which can sometimes make it harder to focus on the long-term projects you want to get done, but I imagine this occurs just about everywhere, and ThinkGeek is still way better than where I used to work where we'd be working on 5-10 different client projects at once.

May 4, 2017 – Employment Manager

We are happy that you joined the team; it wouldn't be the same without you!

"The Best Possible Idea of a Workplace."

Current Employee - Senior Packaging Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Packaging Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ThinkGeek full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly joyful place to work full of creative, intelligent, and humorous people. Every idea is listened to. A very "sure we can" place rather than a "No, we can't" workplace. Dog friendly environment makes for a fun workday. Very casual atmosphere makes it very relaxed and the stress level is lowered.

Cons

Not having set hours makes it hard to schedule meetings sometimes. Older, less spry employees have to step over dog gates in a lot of the office cubes.

Advice to Management

Keep the fun aspect intact as the company continues to grow.

May 4, 2017 – Employment Manager

We are so glad that you are a part of the team! Be sure and watch out for those doggy gates!

4. "Sunny!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ThinkGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at ThinkGeek more than 2 years now and have seen much positive improvement & growth. The Since becoming part of GameStop, there have been a few normal growing pains but they are working themselves out nicely and it appears that we are on our way to greater things...

Cons

There are a few negative people, (some have left) who should either "get onboard" or find another company that will make them happy. Be a part of the solution...

Advice to Management

Stay the course!

Jan 23, 2017 – Employment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really value our employees feedback and are glad that you enjoy working here!

"SOS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Free coffee and beverages. The air conditioning problem is no longer an issue.

Cons

After almost two years of misguided directiion from gamestop, thinkgeek is lost.
    The office is a ghost town and people are demoralized. Apply for a job here only if you are desperate. There are great companies in the area that treat employees well and have a future. Thinkgeek is not one of them. SOS.

Advice to Management

We are sorry you have to deal with gamestop.

"Eeeehhhh"

Former Employee - Creative in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Creative in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ThinkGeek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with - very passionate and loyal colleagues. Very relaxed atmosphere in terms of dress code and everyone was always down for getting lunch together!

Cons

Low pay. Given the specialization of the job and company location, the salary offered to employees across the board is too little - I found it impossible to afford the area. Management and company strategy was in constant flux and I had constant anxiety about the direction and viability of the company.

Advice to Management

As long as TG fails to compensate employees fairly, they will continue to struggle with high turn-over and having underqualified ppl creating products and strategy. Stop buying startup gurus that know nothing about the space as some kind of quick easy fix for your company. Invest in your team and promote from within.

"Excellent benefits, but Outlook is cloudy."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Great benefits. I should say absurd benefits. 401k match vests immediately. Almost no deductible on insurance. I really can't stress how crazy good the benefits are. Is a cool place to work.

Cons

Company is wildly unstable and not ran properly. You sell $150 million dollars in Doctor Who T-shirts made in China, but can't turn a profit? Company should never have gone public. A last ditch effort was made to save the company by bringing in Top Employees from CVS and JC Penny, but it just sunk the company even further, because of the price tag those employees carry. I'm sure the situation is further deteriorating as Game Stop the new owner is also unstable.

"Mean Geeks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ThinkGeek (More than a year)

Pros

Open to creative ideas and concepts, very casual and informal, decent pay, bring dogs to work

Cons

Not very professional, not welcoming to new people, lazy and rude employees

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your employees and their values - it will produce better work and create a better work environment

9. "At ThinkGeek work is no longer a 4 letter word for me"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I love the environment. People here take their jobs very seriously but not themselves. If you enjoy working with uber-creative "out of the box" thinkers, you'll love it here. It makes for a fun and energetic workplace.

The benefits offered here are comparable to and in many cases surpass offerings at multi-national companies where I had I worked in the past.

Cons

I can't think of anything so significant that it would be called a "cons".

"Was an amazing place to work until the board fired the founders"

Former Employee - Monkey in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Monkey in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ThinkGeek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at ThinkGeek was once a dream come true. Amazing office culture. Flexible hours. Work life balance was great (although work felt like play most of the time). It never felt like there were "bosses"... just friends who happened to have different job duties than you. I will always cherish my memories of ThinkGeek in the "good ol' days" because it was absolutely amazeballs.

Cons

None of the pros are true anymore.
    Management believes employee morale is "not our problem" and high turnover is "normal."

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow.