TigerDirect Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
TigerDirect Canada Chairman & CEO Richard Leeds
Richard Leeds

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall this is a great place to gain entry level experience (in 3 reviews)

• Great place to meet all the vendors and to understand the way the business works (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to sell when you're miserable (in 2 reviews)

• This job is basically a waste of time with poor pay (in 2 reviews)

1. "I worked at TigerDirect when they were CompUSA"

Former Employee - Trainer in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Trainer in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at TigerDirect Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The positions paid well, had good benefits, and offered lots of training.

Cons

There is a lot of competition in the technology industry, there are new developments almost daily. It can be demanding at times to stay on top of all the information coming at you. There was also a lot of cross training of positions. A lot to learn. But me, I like learning.

Advice to Management

Management was top heavy.

2. "it was a learning experience."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at TigerDirect Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount when it was available, all the technological toys and keeping updated with the latest gadgets

Cons

discount wasn't always available, only certain time of the month which discourages you from buying. management needs better training and growth in the company was limited.

3. "Unprofessional company in dying industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Company is undergoing a transformation from a very toxic culture very poor legacy management. There is opportunity for someone that is a knowledge worker - standing out and getting ahead is not very difficult.

Cons

The culture is rather inflexible and there is not much employee support or communication. There was toxic management in place which led to a lot of unethical behavior and theft from the company. Even though this exec management team was displaced, many mid managers still exist that were connected to some of the unethical behavior. The workforce and talent is rather scarce and can be frustrating for a high performer. There is a general lack of professionalism and not much collaboration throughout the company. Performance management operates from a more traditional "methods management" approach vs. results oriented.

Advice to Management

- Clean house with all mid management and hire all new management externally
    - Poach talent from competition (Amazon, NuEgg, etc.)
    - Provide training and set stretch goals for managers
    - Provide more flexibility for employees -- better mobile capability, etc.

4. "There for a little over six months and that was six months too long"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Naperville, IL

Pros

It was Monday thru Friday so at least you didn't have to work weekends.

Cons

Where do I start? The place will basically hire you if you have any sales experience at all and they know that of the 10 people they bring on, 9 will be gone within 6 months or less.
    The firings seem to be random. Some reps have terrible numbers yet still keep their job and then they let go a rep who was doing pretty well but had a bad couple of weeks. Odd.
    A few of the managers were OK but a few of them had horrible people skills. How they became managers is beyond me.
    Also, the B2B segment of the company is not very important to the suits. The website is what they care about. Very little room to move up. Just kind of an odd place.
    The training was a joke. 2 weeks of complete nothing. Sadly, towards the end of my tenure I started envying the people in the sessions. At least they didn't have to listen to the crap.
    The senior reps somehow have a sense of arrogance about them. Not sure why. Any good accounts a rep that leaves or is fired had goes directly to them. YOU are NOT going to get good leads. Everything is cold call. They give you a list of like 100 "leads" at the beginning and they are all garbage.
    They bold faced LIED during the interview process about salary and when you were eligible for PTO or vacation. You don't even get paid for a freaking holiday until you've been there 90 days?!!! That's the first job I've ever had where that was the rule. Nothing mentioned about that in the interview. I should've known as it was an unsolicited call from Career Builder. I was unemployed at the time and needed a job. They were looking for heads.
    You start out at 30K with a paltry commission and then at six months or something they drop you to half that and a higher commission but you have to have huge numbers just to get back to what you were getting per paycheck at 30K. No choice. That's contrary to what they told me (and a few other new hires with me) in the interview! We were told we would have a "choice". Not the case.
    I tried my best and did pretty well the first 4 months I was there but the demoralizing air of the place just weighed me down and it showed in my work. It's hard to sell when you're miserable. I was fired and to be honest, I was relieved. Got a new job a few weeks later and can't believe I actually wasted six months of my life there.

Advice to Management

Give your reps some leads. Actually just shut the department down. You're worthless.

5. "A place that only looks after the senior reps and is full of false hopes and miscnceptions"

Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL

Pros

Loved the customers and the fellow co-workers. Hard work to develop the right relationships but it pays off in the end. Great place to learn. But...... I WOULD NOT RECOMEND this place to anyone.

Cons

Watch out!! It's all about the numbers baby! All your hard work bringing in new accounts is not appreciated if you don't have the numbers. There is only one thing they look at, numbers. When there are other values a sales rep brings to the table. Had over $1.1 million in sales YTD, but.... missed one too many pay periods. Watch for ever increasing quotas until you can't do it any more than BAM! Your out the door. Very inconsistent in the termination process. Many reps let go for under performance while a select few can miss their numbers constantly and still keep their job. Some reps receive multiple third warnings before the final,and still have their job. It's a "Throw them on the wall, and see who sticks" mentality. Except for the special reps. Absolutely zero coaching from the managers. And if you do create a nice account...poof. Its gone and a senior rep has it the next day.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent in the termination process. I thought rule was at least two warnings in a row before the final. i got one. I guess the coach can choose to only hand out the one than the final. hold the coaches just as accountable as you hold the reps. And stop giving out multiple third warnings. It creates false expectations for the other reps.

"Watch your back, someone is always willing to stick a knife in it..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Depends on position - but most positions have a high turn over, so they are always looking to fill those positions.

Cons

Think of the movie Office Space, but replace the cause of bad policy and the lack of efficiency from incompetence to machismo/ego/just being mean

Advice to Management

I know Fiorentino is a busy guy. And when I first came on board, the Notes from Gil were interesting - but you have to work on building Moral - it felt like my soul was being sucked out everyday I was there....

7. "If you wanna join the Army"

Current Employee - B2B Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - B2B Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Play on the internet for min. wage

Cons

Military style micro management. Hopefully you do not get placed on the team where sales manager thinks he is still in the army. Sales manager constantly looks over your shoulder and wonders why you are on the internet when in reality that is all there is to do. This job is basically a waste of time with poor pay. Time working is actually time looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Start over from scratch.

8. "Another day in the life..."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

You get paid on time, albeit a poverty-level wage, even in NC. So far, I've been able to fly under the radar, getting my work done in about 5 hours, while spending other time focusing on professional develolpment opportunities and my job search.

Cons

Micromanagement. Lack of an effective CRM database. No lead-gen activity. "Old-school" smile and dial operation...not a clue about Web 2.0 marketing strategies, even email marketing.

Advice to Management

Totally re-engineer the business, by hiring an outside consultanting firm to bring in fresh unbiased ideas and do some benchmarking and gap-analysis. Oh wait, that would cost real $$$'s, you'll never do it. OK, then sell the place to a competitor like CDW, oh wait that means you'd all likely lose your jobs...that'd never work.

9. "Nonsensical business model"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Commission is uncapped, potential to make a lot of money

Cons

The many reasons why you won't get paid your commission

10. "Tigerdirect... great if you are really needed. Terrible if you are a regular worker."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Stability. Some flexibility when it comes to leave. Depending on who you work for, the company is amazing... or terrible.

Cons

Hours are horrible. Raises only come when you hand in your resignation.

Advice to Management

Loosen your grip on the employees. Remove the 45 hour requirement. Be more fair about raises and reviews. Only then will you be able to build company loyalty. Make long term plans and stop thinking day to day and week to week.