Toptech Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Eric Gasvoda

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Real Listening and Real Appreciation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longwood, FL

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I actually love working for Toptech! I've been here for 5 years and feel like it's an extended family. There are only about 80-90 people in the US building and 15 people in Belgium. They do so many things to really make it clear that they care about the employees. After every large customer project the team celebrates and is recognized by company leadership. We actually have a wall of fame with pictures of the teams that have worked on large projects. Also, we throw a baby shower whenever one of the women are pregnant. The most recent one was mine and they even had me invite my husband and mom. It was incredibly sweet!
    I've never witnessed a company so dedicated to being a great place to work that they allow 10% of the workforce to spend time each month on projects and events for the employees. Toptech actually seeks employee feedback all the time and uses it to make real improvements. There are plenty of growth opportunities, and since we're owned by an umbrella company, there are also some opportunities to work on projects with other companies. I think the best part is that because it's a small company, you're never stuck doing one thing. We all wear multiple hats so you're never done learning.
    The GM is pretty cool too. He really cares about improving the culture and making the company a more fun place to work. Since he started, we've had some awesome things happen like a Toptech Spirit Day. Each month we give a Good Neighbor award to a different employee and the GM always wears a Mr. Rogers style sweater to present it. He also approved cool lounge/collaboration areas for employees throughout the building. He has an open door policy and he attends our Daily Management meetings every morning.
    I also love that we do a lot of work with the local Boys & Girls Club. It's optional, so not everyone is involved, but for those who are it's extremely rewarding.

Cons

I wish the company was more progressive with their benefits and offered things like paternity leave and flex scheduling as part of the policy. Also, much of your experience depends of your manager. A really large percentage of the managers are awesome and the other percent is getting there. Toptech actually does a ton to train the managers and help them improve. Still, some managers just aren't as passionate about developing their employees and providing feedback. Unfortunately, pretty much all the managers are working managers (are as hands deep in each project/task as the employees) so actually leading their employees can only be a certain percentage of their job. You can train them all day but if their workload is huge then they literally don't have time to do important leadership things like give quality feedback, recognize good work, and have career conversations. This makes it really important to be aggressive about seeking face time and that's just not everyone's style.

Advice to Management

Let's hire managers purely to manage. It's easier to teach someone technical skills than it is to teach them leadership skills. Also, why couldn't we offer more flexible scheduling options as a policy?

Jun 13, 2017

We were so moved to see your feedback and the wonderful summary of all the wonderful attributes of the Toptech culture. We are proud you are a part of our team and that your experience being a team... More

2. "Great Company!"

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While still relatively new to Toptech Systems, so far, it's been terrific! Toptech work in a niche market within the Petroleum industry and supply hardware and software to fuel terminals around the globe.

The onboarding process was very extensive (which is a good thing) clocking in at 5 weeks of training. Two weeks of "core onboarding" where key figures within the company would present a variety of different topics about the company or the industry itself. Then, one week of shadowing in your department and two weeks of technical boot camp. Onboarding is a great opportunity to meet people and learn about the industry and the technology Toptech use.

The people are really great, salary is competitive, benefits are good, management are proactive and listen to feedback and there's never a shortage of food (ice cream Thursday!)

Cons

Much of the software (and hardware in some cases) technology Toptech was built a decade or more ago which means support for products can be a persistent pain in the neck, especially where software has just been added over the years without consideration to any refactoring. However, Toptech are always developing new products to stay competitive in the market and have great people who genuinely care about the work they do and how they can make products better. In fact, a lot of the frustration comes from employees who care so much about making products better but are restricted by how or when they can do it.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees and adapting. There are some really key people sitting in the building who need to be given more responsibility to execute their vision. Continuing their (and everybody's) growth will ensure these people stay with Toptech for years to come.

3. "Onboarding Review"

Current Employee - Manager in Longwood, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Longwood, FL

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The onboarding sessions are a great way to not only meet the other new people that are starting but also learn about the company as a whole. You are exposed to well structured presentations by key people from all departments of the business. The presenters are extremely knowledgeable and happy to answer any questions. It was a great experience!

Cons

I do not have any cons as this was a great experience!

Advice to Management

We had Hosted Solutions come up and perform some support calls with us there. That was great experience and would love to see that expanded.

4. "Trying to move forward but holding itself back"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Longwood, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Longwood, FL

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many awesome people, but don’t get too attached because the good ones tend to leave.

Cons

Old tools, little traction upgrading
    Ideas to improve employee happiness are often stifled
    Very hierarchical - and the hierarchy of whose opinions count is a bit different from the positional structure. Office politics, but found it difficult to manage.

5. "Fast-paced"

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time

Pros

Great coworkers. Not the least bit stingy with company-provided meals and other goodies. Flexibility in working hours. Senior management seems to genuinely care about employees and puts a lot of effort into showing it.

Cons

Unrealistic estimates on projects. Technology base is very out of date. Processes are often very ad-hoc. Requirements management is practically non-existent. Design is minimal and often not well thought out.

Advice to Management

Employees are well aware that you care about them. Increase focus on design. Implement traceable, testable, end-to-end requirements management. A company cannot produce high-quality without these things and without sufficient staff.

Jul 17, 2017

Sincerely appreciate the feedback AND knowing that people recognize the care and the effort that we put into taking care of our people. I've emailed your constructive feedback to the staff, the... More

6. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Longwood, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Longwood, FL

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Toptech is really committed towards the happiness of their employees, providing one-on-one training with directors of the company and occasional rewards/food to keep spirits high. There is always a challenge to take on at the company, and with great support from your co-workers you are encouraged to succeed.

Cons

With oil and gas being a lucrative industry, there are high demands and short deadlines causing stress and long hours.

Jul 5, 2017

Thanks for the feedback - we're glad you feel the true commitment to happiness! wish we could say there'd never be long hours, but with some large Global projects with short deadlines it just can't... More

7. "An awesome company to work for"

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Toptech provides a 5 week onboarding/boot camp training when you initially start where you get to learn about key areas of the business that would help you understand the business & succeed in your role.

The people are nice & friendly, with the mentality of work hard play hard.

The company is focused on being a High Performance Organization so the management is always looking to enhance processes & improve productivity. You will learn a lot here.

As part of a big company (IDEX corp) you get the benefits of a large organization.

Cons

Nothing obvious that I can think about, of course every company has it's cons but there is nothing outstanding to highlight here.

Advice to Management

Invest more in R&D to add more innovative products to your portfolio.

Jun 29, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to share about your experience. We truly obsess on providing an outstanding onboarding experience for people joining our team. We are thrilled you chose to join us! Welcome... More

8. "Office worker"

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with good benefits

Cons

Some departments are very small with limited growth

Jul 5, 2017

thank you for the post - we are grateful that you have made your career with Toptech! time and time again it is the PEOPLE that are referenced as a key reason people love working here - and if you... More

9. "Fast paced fun environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longwood, FL

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company in the Oil&Gas niche industry provides fuel terminal automation solutions and efficiencies. It's an incredible place to work because:

- the people really care about the customers, their teams, and the products - these are continually getting better
    - the company is one of 50+ business units in a parent company IDEX - you get a small company family feel with excellent benefits of a larger company
    - the staff are investing heavily in continuing to build a collaborative and family culture
    - the teams are empowered to make a difference by continually improving their processes and products
    - much stronger initiatives in the last 5 years for code quality, process control, and employee morale
    I've found a home here for many many years and at the heart of my decision to stay here over the years has been the challenges and the opportunity to make a difference with employees and customers who have become partners as we work together to shape the industry.

Toptech is winning on the culture and quality product side of late and is a great place to call home!

Cons

The company grew fast through offering customization and customer specific one offs. With a tremendously complex code base based on the permutations it's a continuing exercise to simplify and streamline the product. Recent initiatives are taking shape to make the products more efficient and robust but are early in development.

Don't come here if you want to work on projects for months and months - the project duration is typically in weeks and the tasks are short.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the voice of your employees- they have great ideas and we're stronger together.

Invest more in support staffing, customer satisfaction, and the next generation of products especially software.

Jun 13, 2017

Thank you for the thoughtful review. We're so proud you are a part of our super smart team. We've been working hard this year to focus energy and resources on the user experience - time will tell if... More

10. "Empowered and Encouraging"

I have been working at Toptech Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at Toptech for almost 5 years. My favorite thing about it, and the reason I stay when I have other options, is I am truly trusted and empowered every day within my function to do what I do best. Nobody micromanaged me. It's very collaborative and people around me support me and help me. Every day I learn something new and have fun using my strengths to make the business better.

Cons

Our business is owned by a huge corporation which owns 60+ other businesses and sometimes we are not always as connected or as influential on corporate decisions which impact us. But at the same time we definitely benefit by being owned by a large healthy corporation- awesome benefits, cool tools, great programs which we could not afford if we were a stand alone.

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge yourself and your managers to be better so we can have an even better place to work in years to come. Continue to support employees and fund cool ideas like ice cream Thursdays and team project recognition celebrations. They are awesome.

Jun 13, 2017 – Manager of Marketing Communications

Thank you for your feedback about how Toptech Systems is doing. We strive to create an environment in which employees feel empowered to be their best, so it is very encouraging to hear we've created... More