Trace3 Reviews | Glassdoor

"T3"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Denver, CO

I have been working at Trace3 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Good culture and work/life balance. Multi-vendor solutions - not isolated to 1 vendor.

Cons

As the company has grown internal silos have as well - less overall team.

Advice to Management

Prioritize keeping the good parts of T3 DNA (internal and customer facing) as company grows.

2. "Nothing Special Anymore"

Former Employee - Nobody Special in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Nobody Special in Irvine, CA

I worked at Trace3 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed office environment.
    PTO isn't tracked.
    Annual Vegas trade show.
    Sales and engineers get paid above industry standards.
    Some growth potential from entry level roles onto sales teams for motivated people.

Cons

The only people who have ever mattered are sales and their engineers.
    Operations is a meat grinder with high turnover and no career growth potential.
    Inside sales will NEVER make the jump to sales, unless you go to another VAR.
    Engineers are good, but overpaid by industry standards.
    Engineers are the life blood of the company, but HR has a horrible reputation for finding IT talent for either internal or to fill the professional services bench.
    Hardware sales is the main focus, not professional services.
    Too many under-utilized engineers and project managers just collecting a fat paycheck and not contributing to much.
    No 401K matching.
    Just marginally OK health insurance.
    More of a corporate type atmosphere is ruining the culture.
    Engineers and other employees are leaving to other VARs constantly.

Advice to Management

Take a good long-look in the mirror, then look around to see who is left surrounding you. What direction are you telling your employees you are going, and more importantly are you going there? What have you told your employees, and can you even remember your promises? Are you even relevant anymore, and do you really add value to the organization? Where do you see yourself in a few years?

"The Team of ME"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Denver, CO

I worked at Trace3 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally great people, welcoming, fun, and hard working. PTO policies and generally very good salaries. At the beginning it's a great place to work.

Hayes Drumwright is a visionary.

Cons

Hayes stepping away from the company to follow other interests (PopIn, Memento Mori) has dramatically changed the culture and personality of the company.

The change of the company from a team of specialists supporting all account managers to each account manager having their own team has changed the company from a district model to a franchise model. This can be very good for the account managers as they don't have to share their engineering toys but it's very bad for the engineers that are part of the district and not part of one of the AM teams. The halfhearted creation of specialty groups across the company was an attempt to paper over this issue.

Management is completely subservient to the account managers. Trace3 likes to say that they're an engineering company that has sales people, this is exactly backwards. Trace3 is run by and for sales people with engineers along for the ride.

Advice to Management

I offered my advice while I was employed at Trace3, I offered it again when I left. My feeling is that as long as sales are good no one in management will want to change or see a need to so there's no point in giving advice.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Trace3 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment with the ability to work on cutting edge solutions.

Cons

Engineers are dedicated to existing teams, making it hard for new employees to build a business other than "pushing boxes."

"Lack of direction and knee-jerk reactions"

Former Employee - Delivery in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery in Denver, CO

I worked at Trace3 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the co-workers i had a trace3. The office locations were nice and generally everyone was friendly.

non-accrual (unlimited) PTO

Cons

With the decline of hardware sales the company is trying to create a services presence in the market. Unfortunately when the sales teams are not meeting numbers they will not push services since its a harder sale and the GP isn't clear. This causes the services teams to be in a state of flux. Then with the lack of services sales they bench or cut their PS team to help manage cost. With a weakened and benched PS team when business does have an uptick they are consistently having to sub out work because they don't want to pay to keep people on staff.

The sales teams when they do sell a services engagement have the final say of how it gets charged to the customer. If they massively under bid hours on a project it's not the sales team that takes the hit but the PS org which causes more instability due to rising costs.

Management turnover is an issue, new management doesn't want to honnor what old ones put in place even if it's in writing (they will find a loop hole)

Questionable ethics from some org's of the company

Insurance costs alot if you want anything other than a HSA since the company doesn't want to contribute much to their PPO option

No 401k match

Advice to Management

Make the sales teams responsible for their SOW's and if they don't properly allot for hours take it from their bottom line not PS's.

Stop benching/cutting people to the point where you can't sustain a PS org without subbing out to other companies

Hold management accountable for what previous managers put in place

7. "Great People and an Amazing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Vice President of Innovation in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Innovation in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Trace3 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’ve been with Trace3 in my current role for over six years. I help our team and clients map out the future of the technology landscape, so that we can be informed and strategic about focus and partnering, both for our company and for our clients.

Entrepreneurship is the key to Trace3’s culture. Most places are so structured and so focused on dollars and cents and profitability that you’re never encouraged to take a risk or think outside of the box, but here you don’t ask for permission because the execs trust you’ll make the right decisions. If what you want to do takes significant capital you’ll have to get approval, but they’re going to say yes 99 percent of the time. No one asks where you are, you can come and go as you please, and your performance proves how you’re spending your time. If you’re a self-motivator this is the place to be.

I’m in a unique position to really understand the self-motivation aspect of this job because I’m one of a very small number of Trace3 employees that works across all sales teams—I have the best view of their struggles and successes. I see our top sales teams out there who are doing a significant amount of business, driving value for our clients, leveraging dedicated resources—and I see the up and comers building their teams and business. All of Trace3’s sales teams have access to Trace3’s engineering talent and thought leadership, so they’re in a position to succeed for clients and grow their personal brands.

A major way sales teams differentiate is by leveraging Trace3’s innovation team. From our Venture Capital Briefing program to our dedicated research team focused on nothing but understanding where technology is going and why—this is super unique, something none of our contemporaries have. The big four consulting companies have dedicated teams, but nothing so focused on our space as here—and where you’re going to find “kidsultants” fresh out of school (of which I was one…great place for me to learn but not always best for the clients), Trace3 has people with an average of fifteen plus years of experience—real experts with theoretical and hands-on, in-the-trenches experience. Technology matters to Trace3, and that’s why you get access to cutting-edge technology and engineers who love working here and clients who love the company and account teams who drive value for their clients. Behind each sales team are the resources and integrated departments of Trace3, enabling account managers to help each client drive their technology roadmap, ahead of the competition.

Cons

If I could change one thing it would be to find the caliber of talent we need faster. We have a great vision, a leadership team that is extremely transparent, and a very strong sales organization. The only thing holding us back is finding the technical talent that will thrive in Trace3’s entrepreneurial model.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on our growth and where we need to make investments to stay relevant to the companies and people we sell. Talent drives Trace3...we need to make sure we are bringing the best and brightest.

"Time Well Spent at Trace3"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Partner in Irvine, CA

I worked at Trace3 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Unique company culture
    -A lot of autonomy
    -Accessibility of leaders at all levels, from line management all the way up to the Executive team.
    -Some of the best people that I've worked with.
    -Flexibility of schedule. Trace3 is more focused on results than tasks. As long as you meet your deliverables, all is good.
    -Annual Evolve conference = highlight of the year that all of Trace3 employees look forward to.

Cons

-Trace3 is not the right company for you if you're too process-oriented.

"A Company I am Proud to Work For"

Current Employee - Purchasing Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Purchasing Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Trace3 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An amazing company to work for Trace3 is like a second family to me. We are all here to encourage and support each other. A flexible schedule allowing us to work from home when needed, or leave early. Our department never fails to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries, making each of us feel important. Great benefits. Relaxed atmosphere, yet when it is time to get to work, we do.

Cons

Unless you have a background in IT, it might be harder to find open positions within the company. Most open positions are for engineers or architects, however, i know many people who have moved up in the company and didn't have IT experience at the start. So it is possible, you just have to put in the extra work.

"My Time @ Trace"

I have been working at Trace3 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees are highly motivated and reminds of the .com days where I was able to typically work with an eclectic group of people that worked in collaboration to achieve an end state. Compensation, available training programs to engineers and overall benefits package is better than other competing companies and they truly believe in developing/evolving the employees.

Cons

If you are looking for a fortune 500, process oriented org that is burdened by process and forms, this is not the company for you. Processes are kept lean intentionally to keep things dynamic, but is also a limiting factor for those who say they want to be entrepreneurial and need to look for approval to make any next steps and do not feel comfortable in providing feedback, ideas or taking any risks.

Advice to Management

Keep up the approach in limiting the "Barrel Rolls" every 9-10 months and remain steadfast in support of the most valuable asset of the company - The Employees.

11. "I'm Surrounded by Talented People Here!"

I have been working at Trace3 full-time

Pros

I like the fact that I don't have to go very far to find an industry expert in almost any area of the business. Love the weekly All-Hands meeting hosted by the CEO

Cons

Annual employee event is in January - wish it was moved out

Advice to Management

Let's try annual event at a later date