Trainline Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trainline CEO Clare Gilmartin
Clare Gilmartin

Pros
  • Free fruit and free soft drinks (in 16 reviews)

• Aside from the soft drinks and fruit provided, the company lays on regular events for food and boozing (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is undergoing massive transition resulting in lot of chaos and lot of decisions being taken with short term view (in 8 reviews)

• no career progression, too laid back, work is not chanllengable (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good opportunities, but tendency to be technology led"

I have been working at Trainline full-time

Pros

For development, there are good working practices, market leading tools coupled with a strong drive for innovation, and excellent learning opportunities. A very brisk pace, but generally a good work-life balance. Outside of development teams, can be more turbulent - particularly support roles, given the very public face of the service, in an industry which itself has experienced many problems. Overall, it's a company that's having a big impact on the industry and making a positive contribution.

Cons

Restructuring of organisation, coupled with some single-mindedness on certain initiatives has led to an absence of cooperation across teams. These initiatives can crowd out all other work, even if they are core businesses. Consequently, these areas don't slow down they suffocate.
    At the practical level, facilities management is very amateur in London office, and about to get worse given imminent over-crowding.
    Immature HR, with poorly administrated appraisal procedures, and few levers to incentivise - e.g. no bonus structure.
    Huge exodus of senior staff over last couple of years (for broadly justifiable reasons), and general high staff churn rate means it has somewhat lost clarity of purpose and has no distinct culture.

Advice to Management

Reasons to remain loyal to Trainline are rapidly dwindling, which can be at the loss of significant industry experience and expertise.

2. "Alright"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trainline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lucky enough to be in a team that's not in the spotlight, I have a decent work and life balance

Cons

there seems to be 2nd class teams which do not get enough business support, making work really difficult, mainly when it's external facing

Advice to Management

Listen to what your team member has to say, they are normally full of good ideas. Work shouldn't be a hierarchy, and management are not necessarily always right (which has been seen recently)

3. "A great company with a big and strong team"

Current Employee - Full-Stack Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Full-Stack Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trainline full-time

Pros

Has a real product, lots of customers and is striving for more. Teams of lots of talented people.
    Work-pace is relaxed, teams have time to make the best. Lots of tech and lots of places to involve and make the product better.

Cons

i have to add cons, but I don't want to

"Valued as an employee? I don't think so"

I have been working at Trainline full-time

Pros

Fast moving, fast growing. lots of money to invest

Cons

Treat employees as slaves
    Managers only interested in achieving their own goals and bonuses without any consideration of their teams
    Managers undermining their team members and degrading them in front of own and other teams
    Too focused on satisfying investors without any thought for employees
    'Live with it or leave' management attitude
    Told what to do rather from above than collaboration and team involvement
    No clear vision. Priorities changing on a daily basis
    Managers only focused on themselves
    Expected to work 24/7

Advice to Management

Your employees are human beings and are entitled to some respect.
    Learn to stand up for the employees
    Challenge investors when they make demands which are not achievable within the timescales
    Throwing more staff at a project isn't always the answer
    Monitor and review Exec / Senior Management. As their team what the managers are really like

6. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Trainline full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere (although it has changed to become more corporate now)
    free fruit and soft drinks
    positive strategy and business outlook

Cons

now too corporate and target focused
    work can be hard

"Marketing team is young and energetic"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Trainline full-time

Pros

The marketing team is a really energetic and exciting team to work in. Everyone is very supportive of each other and you really feel like you are able to be your own person. There are great perks; free fruit, Chistmas and yearly company away day along and flexible working options. Opportunities are always available to you and there are people willing to make the time to speak to you to discuss your career plan.

Cons

The main negative aspect of working at trainline is that senior management can sometimes not be the best communicators. When the direction or strategy of the business shifts there is a bit of a delay before it hits the ground. This sometimes leads to a feeling that initiatives and projects are suddenly imposed on the team/business without much background and explanation.

Often senior management is also very risk averse and likes to hire people who are perhaps over qualified for their roles. This can make current employees feel as though their progression may not be as fast as desired.

Advice to Management

I would say, improve communication to the more junior members of the team, especially when making big strategic decisions. I would also suggest that senior management allow their current team to step up to fill senior roles rather than bringing people in above them.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - UI Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - UI Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trainline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very techy company, lots of interesting projects and products delivered quickly. My team pairs a lot and we all contribute heavily to sprint planning and estimation. Devs are encouraged to upskill and go on training courses and to conferences, both in London and abroad. Moving into other teams and taking on other roles is encouraged.

It does feel like our efforts are recognised and rewarded here, and achievements are shared at Friday weekly wins sessions.

Lots of company perks: fruit, soft drinks, pizza, great location, beer on Fridays, social events, salsa classes, board games night, yoga, showers & bike storage, big training budget, flexibility to work from home (perms and contractors), 2x company parties a year... :)

Cons

I think communication between the dev teams could be better.

One manager managing too many people/multiple teams.

Advice to Management

I don't think managers should manage multiple teams as it is limiting the amount of guidance, involvement and support they can provide to each.

9. "Good company trying hard"

Current Employee - Developer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Developer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Trainline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good balance in most things. People respect each other, no comments if people need to work from home or leave early. Willingness to invest in new developers (training/time) which I appreciate.

Cons

Lots of changes recently and it feels like the trainline is still sorting itself out at a company level, but things seem to be slowly settling down now. Introduction of on-call rotas for developers worrying.

Advice to Management

Fix 20% time for experimental/greenfield projects. Keep hiring new developers so we can improve our grad/training schemes.

10. "fast moving"

Pros

people, product, company direction, free drinks

Cons

social element has decreased over the last year.

"Working in Trainline marketing team"

Current Employee - Strategy and Planning Marketing Executive in London, England (UK)

Pros

I joined the Trainline marketing team 10 months ago. Great team spirit, I learn new things everyday. My manager is really involved in my carrier plan and is always enthusiastic when I want to work on a new project.
    The recruitment process is very quick. It took me 3 weeks to join the company (1 interview with HR, 1 interview with my direct manager + 1 written test).

Cons

It is not really a cons but to enjoy working in Trainline, you need to like the start-up way of working. Everything goes fast, there are new projects all the time.