Transphorm Reviews | Glassdoor

Transphorm Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2018

Found 11 reviews

4.2
Transphorm CEO Mario Rivas (no image)
Mario Rivas
  1. "Great Semiconductor Company"

I have been working at Transphorm full-time

Pros

- Lots of opportunities to learn from some of the best technical people in the field - Flexible work environment

Cons

- Projects are not always well structured

Transphorm2018-07-03
  2. "Application engineer intern experience in Transphorm"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Transphorm

Pros

The works in Transphorm are pretty challenging. And I got involved in miscellaneous works they assigned me.

Cons

The pros is also the cons, because of the miscellaneous works, sometimes the work in hand needs to be stopped for coming work.

Advice to Management

Right now is pretty solid.

Transphorm2017-09-29
  3. "Transphorm Review"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Transphorm full-time

Pros

I respected the amount of freedom and trust my bosses have given me as entry level intern. They were always supportive; giving opportunities for me to tackle problems on my own. There is always new tasks to stimulate interest and productivity. In addition, the environment is friendly and cooperative. Everyone is willing to help when I'm in need and even dropping their current task to assist me.

Cons

The first few weeks were tough. I was only given a 30 minute to a hour training by the previous intern. Although this sounds grim, there were plenty of material hidden in the databases which would was enough to prepare me for my position.

Advice to Management

Give new interns more of a boost. If possible maintain this homey environment. Clean up the databases, seems like there are plenty of files that aren't necessary.

Transphorm2017-09-14

"Intership here was my best work experience so far."

Current Intern - Testing and Reliability Engineering in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Transphorm for more than a year

Pros

First and foremost: very supportive bosses. I feel motivated to do good work here because it's a collaborative environment and work assigned to me is consistent with my skill level. I'm trusted to make decisions, despite only being a college student. They fully work with my hours, as I'm a student. The pay is generous for a college internship, and although I am the youngest one in the building, I'm never talked... down to or dismissed. I have made friends with coworkers and higher-ups, and pretty much all my interactions in the workplace have been positive ones. I see the CTO and founder sometimes as I grab coffee, and I'm pretty sure he knows me by name, which is cool.

Cons

The reason I'm leaving: no real room in my specific field of interest to grow. I have learned useful information I can take with me into my career, but since it's still a small company, the type of design work I want to do here is saturated. If you can get a job doing what you like here though and you don't mind working at a startup, I would recommend. Also, note that my internship here only lasted about 4 months..., so while I have had a very positive experience overall, I don't know what the long term experience is. For what it's worth, most of my coworkers seem happy.

Advice to Management

As you grow, keep listening to your employees. If you can maintain some of the environment you have today in the future, people will want to work here.

Transphorm2017-06-05
  5. "Transphorm Review"

I have been working at Transphorm part-time

Pros

Lots of very intelligent and motivated people working towards a worthwhile goal, industry leading technology, the potential for future growth is enormous

Cons

Sometimes stale work atmosphere, salary and options are less than competitive, rare to see promotion from within, little respect for work/life balance

Advice to Management

Realizing that Transphorm is still a startup, people are willing to work long hours but management should keep a closer eye on company morale and maybe try to make the working environment a bit more sociable and fun.

Transphorm2016-03-24

Transphorm Response

April 19, 2016Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your insight both positive and negative. I am sorry to hear that you feel that the work environment is stale and we are actively working to change that. We have had a few speed bumps in the past which did not allow us to invest in programs to improve the work environment and morale. If you have any suggestions we would be happy to hear from you! As far as promotions from within, it was a few days after this post but we had just promoted 3 of our employees as well as brought a former employee back. We are looking to make Transphorm more of a place to build a career rather than just a job.

6. "Great startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Transphorm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of smart people. Founders have history of startup success. Recent funding and changes by KKR improve changes of success. Has a lead in the market.

Cons

Some bureaucracy, but appear to be addressed one by one.

Advice to Management

As lots of new people are hired, be careful about not allowing politics and bureaucracy to take root. Make use of 6 month window to let go of hiring mistakes. Address the existing bureaucracies that create inefficiency and irritate employees.

Transphorm2016-03-06

Transphorm Response

April 19, 2016Human Resources

Thank you for your response and advice! We will be sure to make sure to keep the politics to a minimum as our company grows. I can also appreciate your frustrations with the bureaucracy as I have to deal with them as well but we are working to streamline them one by one. If there are any processes which are bugging you, please let us know in HR.

7. "Second boost to a mature start up"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Transphorm for less than a year

Pros

Everyone who I have worked with so far have been really friendly and it is clear that everyone here is passionate about the work that they do. Looking at the past reviews and from what I hear from current employees it seems like the company had gone through some rough times in the past few years. However with the new investment from KKR and new addition to management, it seems that they have made it a focus to... grow sales and start bringing in revenue which has allowed to company to grow some. But it is clear that it will never be a giant company like Texas Instruments or Fairchild.

Cons

The company is still pre-revenue so stability might be an issue. Some internal processes are not streamlined yet.

Advice to Management

So far I think that the direction of the company is going in the right direction.

Transphorm2016-03-02
  8. "Meh"

I worked at Transphorm

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities if given the chance.

Cons

Favoritism keeps bad employees around. No raise policy. Bad morale.

Transphorm2014-08-08
  9. "Decent company to work for."

Former Employee - Process Technician in Goleta, CA

I worked at Transphorm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very knowledgeable staff. There is always help you can go to if you don't fully understand how to approach a problem. A lot of learning and growth is possible here.

Cons

The pay is a little sub-par, and they don't give raises. The general mode of the company is to squeeze as much out of you before draining the life out of you.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth, man.

Transphorm2013-05-19
  10. "Growing company with lots of potential but still not yet established as a great place to work"

Former Intern - Product Development Intern in Goleta, CA

I worked at Transphorm for less than a year

Pros

Loose working atmosphere, team is comprised of mostly young, active engineers, good appreciation of employees

Cons

One of the biggest downsides to working at Transphorm is the lower than market value pay and long hours typically expected out of management. The interview process is pretty much a joke, with little organization or planning on their part. There is an distinct imbalance in the levels of experience in the workforce, which contains a combination of inexperienced fresh college grads, and highly experienced non-degree... holders, but very few (if any) in between those levels. Management is comprised of PhDs with little to no prior semiconductor experience and do not readily take advice from experts in the field.

Advice to Management

Balance out the team with members from all experience and education levels, seek out more help from outside consultants in solving complex problems, and pay fair salaries to the hard working employees. Listen to the employees that have a lot of experience from other places and take their valuable input.

Transphorm2012-08-04