Transphorm Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 5, 2017

3.8
Mario Rivas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intership here was my best work experience so far."

Current Intern - Testing and Reliability Engineering in Goleta, CA
    Current Intern - Testing and Reliability Engineering in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Transphorm as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

First and foremost: very supportive bosses. I feel motivated to do good work here because it's a collaborative environment and work assigned to me is consistent with my skill level. I'm trusted to make decisions, despite only being a college student. They fully work with my hours, as I'm a student. The pay is generous for a college internship, and although I am the youngest one in the building, I'm never talked down to or dismissed. I have made friends with coworkers and higher-ups, and pretty much all my interactions in the workplace have been positive ones. I see the CTO and founder sometimes as I grab coffee, and I'm pretty sure he knows me by name, which is cool.

Cons

The reason I'm leaving: no real room in my specific field of interest to grow. I have learned useful information I can take with me into my career, but since it's still a small company, the type of design work I want to do here is saturated. If you can get a job doing what you like here though and you don't mind working at a startup, I would recommend. Also, note that my internship here only lasted about 4 months, so while I have had a very positive experience overall, I don't know what the long term experience is. For what it's worth, most of my coworkers seem happy.

Advice to Management

As you grow, keep listening to your employees. If you can maintain some of the environment you have today in the future, people will want to work here.

2. "Transphorm Review"

I have been working at Transphorm part-time

Pros

Lots of very intelligent and motivated people working towards a worthwhile goal, industry leading technology, the potential for future growth is enormous

Cons

Sometimes stale work atmosphere, salary and options are less than competitive, rare to see promotion from within, little respect for work/life balance

Advice to Management

Realizing that Transphorm is still a startup, people are willing to work long hours but management should keep a closer eye on company morale and maybe try to make the working environment a bit more sociable and fun.

Transphorm Response

Apr 19, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your insight both positive and negative. I am sorry to hear that you feel that the work environment is stale and we are actively working to change that. We... More

3. "Great startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Transphorm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of smart people. Founders have history of startup success. Recent funding and changes by KKR improve changes of success. Has a lead in the market.

Cons

Some bureaucracy, but appear to be addressed one by one.

Advice to Management

As lots of new people are hired, be careful about not allowing politics and bureaucracy to take root. Make use of 6 month window to let go of hiring mistakes. Address the existing bureaucracies that create inefficiency and irritate employees.

Transphorm Response

Apr 19, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your response and advice! We will be sure to make sure to keep the politics to a minimum as our company grows. I can also appreciate your frustrations with the bureaucracy as I have to... More

4. "Second boost to a mature start up"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Goleta, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Goleta, CA

I have been working at Transphorm as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone who I have worked with so far have been really friendly and it is clear that everyone here is passionate about the work that they do. Looking at the past reviews and from what I hear from current employees it seems like the company had gone through some rough times in the past few years.

However with the new investment from KKR and new addition to management, it seems that they have made it a focus to grow sales and start bringing in revenue which has allowed to company to grow some. But it is clear that it will never be a giant company like Texas Instruments or Fairchild.

Cons

The company is still pre-revenue so stability might be an issue.
    Some internal processes are not streamlined yet.

Advice to Management

So far I think that the direction of the company is going in the right direction.

5. "Meh"

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities if given the chance.

Cons

Favoritism keeps bad employees around. No raise policy. Bad morale.

6. "Decent company to work for."

Former Employee - Process Technician in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Goleta, CA

I worked at Transphorm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very knowledgeable staff. There is always help you can go to if you don't fully understand how to approach a problem. A lot of learning and growth is possible here.

Cons

The pay is a little sub-par, and they don't give raises. The general mode of the company is to squeeze as much out of you before draining the life out of you.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth, man.

7. "Growing company with lots of potential but still not yet established as a great place to work"

Former Intern - Product Development Intern in Goleta, CA
    Former Intern - Product Development Intern in Goleta, CA

I worked at Transphorm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Loose working atmosphere, team is comprised of mostly young, active engineers, good appreciation of employees

Cons

One of the biggest downsides to working at Transphorm is the lower than market value pay and long hours typically expected out of management. The interview process is pretty much a joke, with little organization or planning on their part. There is an distinct imbalance in the levels of experience in the workforce, which contains a combination of inexperienced fresh college grads, and highly experienced non-degree holders, but very few (if any) in between those levels. Management is comprised of PhDs with little to no prior semiconductor experience and do not readily take advice from experts in the field.

Advice to Management

Balance out the team with members from all experience and education levels, seek out more help from outside consultants in solving complex problems, and pay fair salaries to the hard working employees. Listen to the employees that have a lot of experience from other places and take their valuable input.

8. "Good startup company"

Pros

A group of nice and telented people working hard. We can learn a lot from each other

Cons

The salary and bonus is relatively low, which depress many employees