Unity Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
André V. Chapman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great organization to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Unity Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unity Care is an organization that is serving a great need in our community. Throughout the staff there is a sense of pride and family and passion for the shared cause. Working at Unity Care you will have peers that not only want to advance the organization and communities they serve, but also care about your well being and are there to support your growth professionally and personally. I came into Unity Care as a contractor for QI to help with a project and with success in my work goals I was offered a full-time position with the company, an opportunity I wouldn't have gotten anywhere else. Everything I learned with Unity Care has become a definitive skillset that has really prepared me for my overall career endeavors to come. I stand by this company.

Cons

During my time at Unity Care significant improvements in QI and Systems were being implemented, things of this nature aren't always comfortable because it means change. Though some staff may have problems with changes, the improvements will ultimately make Unity Care an even better organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to be leaders. Continue to give staff a voice.

"Family like environment and career growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Unity Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Unity care as a Temporary employee with minimal experience. Within a span of few months my manager recognized my strength and absorbed me into the organization. Unity care as a whole is very friendly, family like and a fun place to work.
    I world highly recommend future candidates to look for opportunities to work for Unity care.

Cons

Would love management to work on retention strategy

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of TAY in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of TAY in San Jose, CA

I worked at Unity Care full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you're looking for a company who seriously believes in the mission and is driven to ensure the success of it staff then, Unity Care Is the place for you.

Never before have I ever worked at a company that invest so much in it staff. Talk about staff development. This company created a partnership with a college just so its employees could obtain higher education. This company allows you to start from the bottom and go all the way up.

I interviewed for a residential councilor position. I was hired on as an facility manager in the group homes. After 4 years I left the agency when my husband PCS for the Army. When my husband retired, we chose to come back to San Jose instead of going home to Hawaii, just so that I could work at Unity Care again.

I came back as a Case Manager for Transition Age Youth. I was later promoted to the Program Manager, then Promoted again to the Assistant Director of the Transition Age Youth program. This all happened with in a 3 year time period.

Andre Chapman truly believes in the people he has hired. His dedication and commitment to the clients and staff are astounding. His Passion and vision for this agency are remarkable. He is usually the last to leave for the evening and is on call 24/7. I have never met a CEO that works that hard.

This company makes you feel like you have found your family. We have monthly potlucks, Summer Olympics, Leadership Retreats, Thanksgiving dinners for the staff, clients and their families, also they have an awesome end of year Christmas party. Where we do Lip-synch battles. Andre does a mean Michael Jackson. Most of the events mentioned above has a DJ. DJ Danny G. Does your agency have a DJ? These are just a few fun things you get to do while you work there.

But the best part of the entire company on top of the above mention... you get to change youth and families lives for the better. You literally save lives working there. I miss working there everyday. I moved out of the area so I no longer work there. However once the agency expends to Fairfield CA. I will be the first applicant.

Cons

Anywhere you go in the nonprofit sector there are what people call politics. Yes there is clicks again due to politics.

The CEO tires not to get involved in the lower level politics. That is because his attention is focus on the clients and the mission he created. He is human and is really not interested in the unnecessary drama.

if you are a good employee you will be able to rise above the politics and not get involved in clicks. You could actually enjoy working as an interwoven team member verses being siloed in the clicks. One thing to remember is that clicks don't last long. But teammates, actual team members. That bond lasts forever. Some of my best friends were once my team members. I am proud to call them my sisters and brothers in life.

Advice to Management

This is advice for all employees. Remeber and truly practice the five working agreements. This will ensure that you love this place as much as I did. As for Management don't forget to go back to your roots once in a while. We staff love when you are working side by side with us in the trenches.

4. "Love the Mission the People the Purpose"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in San Jose, CA

I worked at Unity Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the residential program and was lucky to have started my internship while in college and recently graduated and continued my work until i recently moved. I had an opportunity to see the program transition to the new CCR model which will add more therapeutic services for the kiddos. These kiddos come in so damaged and traumatized by their situations and to see them receive critical services that are culturally sensitive is an amazing thing Unity Care does. The County Social Workers are so over worked they can't keep up with all the needs of these kiddos and Unity Care is doing an awesome job in this area.

Cons

I know our residential staff are paid higher than most other agencies but its not enough pay for the level of work needed to get the job done and to live here in the bay area.

Advice to Management

There should be more protesting to the County to increase the pay rates for the residential staff who are the front line workers.

5. "Director"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Unity Care part-time

Pros

Team members are committed and mission driven to making a significant impact in the lives of youth, families, and communities.

Cons

Need additional work space for company's growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide feedback sessions/Voices for employees to share their experiences and offer solutions.

6. "Great organization"

I have been working at Unity Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unity Care does a great job at really seeking to provide opportunities to its youth, I really value their core beliefs as well as their mission statement. The staff are extremely involved in the kids lives and their well being represents the main concern. It is nice to work with other individuals who also enjoy giving back and helping the community, ensuring equal opportunities for all. I believe everyone gets what they put into a situation, it is easy to get complacent and fall into a routine. However, you need to understand your strengths and weaknesses and play unto them in any situation and any job. This organization is no different.

Cons

working with the county and as a non-profit can be discouraging

7. "Poor Employer"

Former Employee - Care Coordinator
    Former Employee - Care Coordinator

I worked at Unity Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a pay check

Cons

unethical, lack of training, dysfunctional teams, vast majority of one race. No communication. No leadership. High turnover. Lack of professional experience

Advice to Management

don't pretend to be managers and supportive people.

8. "The job is what you make of it. There will be many obstacles and minimal rewards."

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Unity Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

working with youth who all come from different circumstances, great resources for youth and offers classes from time to time that explore important topics of concern with this particular population

Cons

High turnover rate, raises are none to minimal, they are not consistent amongst all tiers of employees, unprofessionalism, micromanagement

Advice to Management

Be leaders who are present and provide structure and advice that you display first. Modeling and leading by example are the only ways you can create a place where not only the employees will respect you, but the youth will also learn to love and see your leadership.

"Advice to county services, grant agents and people in need. Stay as far away from this place as possible."

I worked at Unity Care full-time

Pros

CEO makes Trump look like a “Boy Scout”. He’s dishonest, manipulative, controlling, devious and wrote the book on Unscrupulous Non-Leadership.

Cons

Unscrupulous Management - dishonest, manipulative, controlling, devious; Machiavellian in every way imaginable.

Advice to Management

CEO makes Trump look like a “Boy Scout”.

Unity Care Response

Aug 28, 2017 – Development Associate, Communications

We are sorry that your experience at Unity Care was not a positive one. We are committed to our mission and to the welfare and safety of the youth we serve. We also work extremely hard to be a fair... More

"Real Talk"

I have been working at Unity Care full-time

Pros

Purpose is for the well being of their youth's success.

Cons

They have cliques and if you do not fit into those cliques you will not advance.

Advice to Management

They only recognize their "favorites", not those who do a good job and work hard.