UnityPoint Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
UnityPoint Health President & CEO Kevin Vermeer
Kevin Vermeer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Nice co workers, great team work, enjoyed my job (in 5 reviews)

• Great People who truly care about their patients (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequently short-staffed - makes it hard to provide high-quality patient care that they emphasize and expect (in 6 reviews)

• No work life balance due to management and there inability to see things for their staff members point of view (in 3 reviews)

"Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really focused on making it great place to work for employees. Employee focused

Cons

Nurse shortages statewide
    PTO could be better overall decent

Advice to Management

Keep striving to help your success in providing quality patient care outcomes

"Not Terrible"

Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great and sterile processing is a great way to get your foot in the door if you're interested in a career in the medical field

Cons

The pay is honestly not very good. Sterile processing is a very important job and very physically demanding. There's also a lot to learn but it's not worth the effort for such low pay when you live on your own and have lots of bills.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay other wise you'll continue to see great people leaving this great place because of financial situations.

3. "Gave me some of the best experiences in my career"

Current Employee - Clinic Administrator in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Clinic Administrator in Peoria, IL

Pros

Excellent internal growth options for anyone entering the medical field, with both clinical and clerical positions to serve the community.

Cons

Aggressively growing within the market so there are times the resources are limited and staffing can be challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Know your job expectations and perform audits for employee functions to ensure you're meeting the needs of both the organization and the providers, as some performance is directly related to physician compensation and the supervisor is responsible for teams capturing that data.

Jun 26, 2017 – Social Media Reputation Specialist

Thank you for your kind review of UnityPoint Health!

4. "Toxic Work environment, High Stress"

Former Employee - CBO Follow Up in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - CBO Follow Up in Des Moines, IA

I worked at UnityPoint Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Billing Follow up. Being able to work independently. But if you make a mistake you get this in your review and it counts against your average.

Cons

Constant Micromanagement, New people get constant babysitting. If you have a question be prepared to get several different answers. Pick one and hope its right. Lots of Gossip and unhappy employees. Favorits come to play in this department, especially for the non productive employee. As for benefits, you pay for your own holidays off and sick leave. 1500 deductible for your medical. 6 holidays off. You buy your own office supplies and there always talking about its not in the budget. Raises are 20 cents a year. Employees that have been there forever are unfriendly. There is lack of team spirit. Focus is the theme they try to enforce, this does not excsist in this Office and that's from management to employees. Once hired be prepared to do all your learning yourself . NO HELP exist once you hit that floor.

Advice to Management

Look at your lack of benefits and pay more to keep great talent. Get managers and Supervisors training on team development and how to motivate. Not everyone you promoted is management material. That is why you have such high turnover. Bullying does exsist in your management team. Stop saying you don't have time to help your team because of meetings.

Jun 26, 2017 – Social Media Reputation Specialist

Hello, thank you for your review. We take all reviews very seriously. If you wish to speak with a Human Resources representative, please visit https://www.unitypoint.org/contact-human-resources.aspx... More

5. "RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People who truly care about their patients

Cons

Staff is overworked due to poor staffing to patient ratios.

Advice to Management

Approve more positions to relieve high staffing ratios.

Jun 26, 2017 – Social Media Reputation Specialist

Thank you for your review of UnityPoint Health.

6. "Good company, okay managment"

Current Employee - Pct in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Pct in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, PTO, education assistance, very supportive of education, Holiday pay

Cons

Too many stupid training sessions about being a 'good' coworker, expensive insurance, always short staffed, management in some departments is terrible.

Advice to Management

Spend more time caring about your employees.

Jun 6, 2017 – Social Media Reputation Specialist

Thanks for your feedback.

7. "Great Place to work for"

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Scientist in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Insurance and savings options. Most fellow employees are very nice. Lots of opportunities for personal health and wellness, as well as continued education, learning opportunities, and progression towards career/education goals.

Cons

Management is hit and miss, some are great, others are poor. Unusual amount of employee churn, they don't seem to work hard to keep employees they have. Advancement opportunities are available but difficult to advance unless you have significant years of company dedication.

Advice to Management

Take the extra time and effort to keep the good employees you already have! It costs so much to re-hire when you could have saved a good employee from leaving. Understand the admin management isn't perfect, and it will never be, but address issues that you can control, and don't promote individuals to management if they don't have a positive attitude and personality to manage.

Jun 6, 2017 – Social Media Reputation Specialist

Thank you for writing a review. We take all feedback very seriously. If you wish to speak with a Human Resources representative, please visit https://www.unitypoint.org/contact-human-resources.aspx... More

8. "Staff RN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I worked at UnityPoint Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved my co-workers
    Benefits improved over the years

Cons

They are very concerned with the appearance of things rather than the actuality of things and spend a great deal of time with corrective action plans that amount to correcting only minor dificiencies and ignoring the big ones or have little effect on outcomes at all

Advice to Management

more energy needs to go toward making real change instead of making it look good on paper

Jun 6, 2017 – Social Media Reputation Specialist

Thank you for reviewing UnityPoint Health.

9. "sorry there is not a lower score"

Current Employee - Phlebotomy Technician in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - Phlebotomy Technician in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers and support staff are good to work with

Cons

No work life balance due to management and there inability to see things for their staff members point of view. Some days I start at 6am some days at 2pm and everywhere in between. They spend to much time with workplace psych. Literally forcing the staff to send a “note” to fellow employees for doing their job “ I guess it is a feel good thing”. Raises are minimal. HR nor management care for the staff, no schedule provided more than 1-2 weeks out and then it is revised an average of 2-3 times even though we are well into it.
    This place could be great if they just started caring about employees, and stop treating them like just a body to staff a slot.
    Most of the staff I encounter daily are very caring and professional to the patents but Unity Point takes advantage of this and burns them out.

Advice to Management

Start to hear what the employees are saying, and act on it. 40% of the staff I talk to are looking of another place to work.

Jun 26, 2017 – Social Media Reputation Specialist

Hello, thank you for your review of UnityPoint Health. We take all feedback seriously. If you wish to speak with a Human Resources representative, please visit... More

10. "PCT for 3+ years"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at UnityPoint Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful hospitals, great reputation, fair wage, co-workers are great, teamwork-oriented environment.

Cons

Becoming bigger and bigger every year. Frequently short-staffed - makes it hard to provide high-quality patient care that they emphasize and expect.

Advice to Management

Being short-staffed all the time makes me dread going to work sometimes.. I feel I am letting my patients down when I can't give them the attention and time they deserve. I understand the pressure to keep costs down, but it's unacceptable to only have 1 PCT for 20+ patients. I can't even begin to imagine how the nurses feel.

Apr 17, 2017 – Social Media Reputation Specialist

Thanks! We take all feedback very seriously and appreciate you providing a review of UnityPoint Health.