Universal Electronics (WI) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 15, 2017

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Quality Assurance Manager"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Whitewater, WI
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in Whitewater, WI

I worked at Universal Electronics (WI) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aggressive - forward thinking company

Cons

Location - very stressful at times

Advice to Management

Understand more of the customer expectations prior to becoming contractually obligated, in regards to potentially large customers

2. "Upward mobility is possible."

Former Employee - Program Manager/Customer Service Representative in Whitewater, WI

I worked at Universal Electronics (WI) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers were great to work with, and the last boss that I had was fantastic. Also found that I was able to move up in the company, which was very rewarding.

Cons

Executive management was not approachable, and heaven forbid if you didn't agree with them. Since I was promoted within, I did find that I made $10-20K less than my counterparts.

Advice to Management

Be willing to hear from all employees, regardless of their position. Everyone has something to offer.

3. "Process Writer"

Current Employee - Process Writer/Engineer in Whitewater, WI
    Current Employee - Process Writer/Engineer in Whitewater, WI

I have been working at Universal Electronics (WI) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company, lots of room for low level advancement and learning. Great environment for experience in contract manufacturing to start your career.

Cons

Menial benefits, pay for skilled positions is not on par with the rest of the industry. I love my position here but after 5 and a half years of service the fact that I could walk away from an Engineering position and make the same amount and more at Starbucks or as a production assembler elsewhere is disheartening.

Advice to Management

"Take care of your employees, and they will take care of your customers."

5. "Just keep looking. Nothing to see here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitewater, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitewater, WI

I have been working at Universal Electronics (WI) full-time

Pros

I have nothing to report that is good about this company. I advise you to keep looking for a job elsewhere.

Cons

Fly by the seat of their pants. Guaranteed wages? Think again. You won't like it here. You'll have no friends. Always on your guard. For what? Your job.

Advice to Management

Everyone is a YES man in this company. No bonuses for hourly production workers? All executives and salaried employees get nice incentives. How unfair is that. The owner of the company doesn't care about anyone but himself and it really shows. Start showing more appreciation for your people.

6. "My experience at UEI has been and still is very educational and interesting."

Current Employee - Sub Assembly in Whitewater, WI
    Current Employee - Sub Assembly in Whitewater, WI

I have been working at Universal Electronics (WI) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, awesome learning experience, willing to train new employees, willing to work with their employees, employees can order take out for breaks, can have a cellular device on the work floor if there is an emergency in the family or you have family in army, military, marines etc. as long as it gets approved by the employees supervisor and it is a very clean facility to work in with a great atmosphere.

Cons

No smoking on breaks and cannot leave on breaks.

Advice to Management

None

7. "If you need a job and plan on moving on in a year or two."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitewater, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitewater, WI

Pros

The workers are very friendly and real Americans with families. The benefits are comparable in the industry. It's a typical small company.

Cons

Advancement into upper management will not happen. Middle managers are replaced on a regular basis. No notice terminations and lay offs.

Advice to Management

Worry about the people more than the processes . The people make your business. You will not recruit top performers until the vision changes.

8. "Program Manager"

Pros

Good leadership. Always focused on doing the best that could be done for the customer. Fair treatment of employees. Working for UEI was a good experience for me.

Cons

Any con I could come up with would be less about UEI and more about the challenges any employee would face in this role. I worked for UEI and UEI worked for me.

9. "This was one of the most fulfilling jobs I ever had from a personal and professional standpoint."

I worked at Universal Electronics (WI) full-time

Pros

A real team effort. A lot to do but organized. Low level of politics that can "derail" progress.

Cons

Once back on the "profit track" not aa challanging a position.

Advice to Management

Need to diversify products.