VSCO Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
VSCO Co-Founder and CEO Joel Flory
Joel Flory

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Things have only gotten better"

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at VSCO for 2.5 years, and things have consistently gotten better and better. Particularly in the last year, we've really matured as a company and honed in on who we are, who we're for, and what our business model is. I've seen the whole team rally around the focus, and it's so refreshing to see that happen while we still maintain a really thoughtful and kind culture. People work really hard here, but we have a lot of flexibility around the "how" - there is a lot of respect for your health and life outside of work. Perks are getting better as we grow, too.

Cons

Less cons, more things I look forward to...
    - We've been through a lot of changes (as all startups do), each one with the passion and intent you'd expect from a super creative team, but I think the team is ready to maintain this focus we've found for a while.
    - Learning and development have fallen by the way-side in favor of finding our purpose, so I think the team is craving more training and more learning opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep being humble, keep caring so deeply, and keep things consistent for a while.

"Lacks strong leadership"

I worked at VSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at VSCO for 2+ years and met some of the best people and co-workers of my life there. In the beginning the culture was great and the leadership felt like they were aligned and had a strong vision for the future of VSCO and it's staff.

Cons

Somewhere along the line leadership failed and we lost (fired + resigned) a lot of people, including the New York office. We brought on new "advisors" which killed the culture and confused the future vision that everyone was so excited about.

Advice to Management

I don't believe any advice could help VSCO now.

"Great people, exciting challenges, constant learning"

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Strong leadership team, clear business priorities and direction, and supportive work culture
    - Transparent and cohesive collaboration across functions
    - Opportunities for professional growth and leadership development opportunities at every level
    - Creative, honest, sharp and humble employees
    - Comprehensive benefits and competitive salary

Cons

Structural changes are more frequent than at larger companies, but communication is proactive and support is given to ease transitions

Advice to Management

Very strong, open and transparent leadership style - clear and direct priorities without being intimidating or unapproachable; keep up the great work and thanks for all that you do!

"Pains felt in engineering department"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at VSCO full-time

Pros

- The people are humble, very down to earth and nice. Every coworker could be a friend you'd want to hang out with after work
    - Leadership makes effort to hear from you
    - Office is beautiful
    - Delicious lunches
    - Lax policy on working from home even though most people opt to be in the office

Cons

- Engineering salary not competitive
    - No matching on 401k
    - Management/leadership especially in engineering is lackluster
    - Leadership makes effort to hear from you but whether or not anything actionable comes out of it is questionable. Engineering retrospectives don't appear to change. Lots of talking and less acting. No one is held accountable for change here.
    - Product design process is not great. Not enough testing and emphasis on user experience. Not enough collaboration between engineering, design and product together from the get go.
    - Felt like an engineer was at the end of the product process and was there to build products. Our opinion was not weighed as much as other teams. This fact has been acknowledged in the company but change has been slow.

Advice to Management

Product design process needs to be rethought and a more serious process needs to be outlined. Don't leave it up to the product managers to lead the process however they feel is correct for their individual projects/features. Worked with various product managers and some had better processes for group collaboration than others. A good process should be shared between all product managers. Have engineers in the room from the early stages of a product idea.

VSCO Response

Oct 4, 2016 – VP, People Operations

Thank you for your perspective and feedback - we're listening and are actively taking steps to set the team up to be the most impactful (across product, engineering, design - and operations... More

"Great place to work"

Pros

- Humility: The people that work at VSCO are intelligent and talented, but you're not going to find any egos or people fighting to be loudest person in the room. Working with humble people makes work far more enjoyable and a collaborative experience.
    - Work/life balance: My worry about coming to a start up was that I'd have to be working late nights, weekends, going to mandatory happy hours, etc. While there's definitely the occasional day where you have to put your nose to the grindstone, the overall balance at VSCO is outstanding. They have flexible vacation policy, close over the winter break, and — most importantly — the leadership team and managers really encourage people to have balance and interests outside of work (family, photography, travel, etc).
    - Mission driven - The mission probably fluctuates a bit depending on the person you ask, but there's an overarching theme of being proud to work here, and proud of what we're building.

Cons

VSCO is still a small company, so if you're looking to climb a corporate ladder or are very title driven, we don't really have that kind of structure yet.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, keep listening to your people, and lets try to maintain this culture as we grow

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at VSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VSCO is rare in that it genuinely cares about its employees. It's not just lip service. Everything from the way stock is structured, to vacation time, to perks, to the 1-1 conversations you have with the managers and leadership team really proves it.

In addition to that, the biggest pros are:

- Phenomenal leadership team.
    - Focus on building a sustainable business.
    - Talented, friendly, and humble coworkers.
    - Competitive pay, benefits, not to mention the awesome food.
    - Opportunities to grow in your career, which is rare in my experience among young companies.

Cons

The only thing worth mentioning is that the time and cost of large projects are underestimated. There are lots of big, exciting projects being worked on, but some of them don't receive the attention/resources they need to be successful within the allotted timeframe. It's not a huge problem in my opinion, but it's something worth keeping an eye on.

Advice to Management

Thanks for all your hard work. VSCO has a bright future ahead of it thanks to your leadership. You are my heroes.

"Great People, Great Place, Great Leadership"

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is on point, pay is competitive, the people are great.
    Phenomenal free food included every day.
    Interesting technical challenges!

Cons

No 401k match.
    There is sometimes a disconnect between engineering and design, and occasionally there are a litany of unneeded meetings.

"VSCO is full of extremely talented creatives but lacks strong management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at VSCO full-time

Pros

- Creative environment
    - Humble, talented coworkers
    - Company with integrity
    - Inspiring founding team
    - Incredible product aimed at a wonderful creative community

Cons

- Hectic startup environment
    - Lack of clear direction and strong management
    - Possibility of staying a late night
    - Not many established industry leaders to learn from

Advice to Management

Focus on aligning employees behind focused company vision while catering to individuals' aspirations and expectations.

"Great people, strong engagement, and high potential!"

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people are great and very engaged with and loyal to the company and products, not to mention inspirational and talented in their individual rights
    - The products are beautiful and there is something for everyone
    - People work hard as necessary, but there is a strong focus on balance and family life here from the top down
    - Unlike so many tech companies in the area, every role and every team is important and valued
    - Good benefits, perks, food, and coffee!
    - The most beautiful office space

Cons

- It's difficult to identify cons, but if I had to choose, communication can be a bit inconsistent. I think this is true at most startups (if not companies), but something to work on

Advice to Management

Stick to your integrity and keep doing what you're doing.

"I love working at VSCO"

I have been working at VSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you care about visual art like I do there aren't many other places like VSCO that are genuinely dedicated to it and that successful at it. VSCO is a company that has discovered its identity and purpose, and the users have responded.

The project is awesome and very ambitious.

The execs are pretty low key and not egotistic, which is huge in my book. Notice how they don't their face and bio on the company website? How awesome is that. VSCO aims to be a very employee oriented company and they mean it.

It's a young company so there is a wealth of opportunity for people joining now.

The benefits are great.

Incredible work environment, from the amazing office, the food, the perks, the benefits, the project, the quality of the people.

The downtown oakland location works great for me.

Cons

What makes VSCO great come at a price: It's still a young company with long term uncertainties, things change very quickly which can be unsettling for some people.

The location works for me but can be an issue if you leave in SF or the peninsula. Downtown Oakland is still "transitioning"...

Salaries are good but not industry top.

Advice to Management

Keep at it, it's amazing company and culture you are building.