Veritiv Reviews | Glassdoor

Mary A. Laschinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "VLS"

I have been working at Veritiv full-time

Pros

Opportunity for growth
    Feels Like a Startup
    Good Pay

Cons

Focus on margin not revenue

2. "Account manager"

I have been working at Veritiv full-time

Pros

Good Job security if you dont mind being stressed out

Cons

Extremely stressful work enviroment and not paid enough

"The Implosion Continues"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Veritiv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely None at this time

Cons

Customer Service is expected to make the Magic happen. How can we make the Magic happen when the teams we need to work with are unable to understand what is needed. I have been with this company since 1982 and have gone through numerous buyouts and mergers. This one, by far is the hardest and the most frustrating. I have experienced stock outs of commodity product. Yet the product is overstocked in another division that is unfortunately not available for overnight transfer. The warehouse receiving product but the product is truly not on their floor. Requesting LTL shipment to arrive next day to only find out that the decision was made ,unbeknownst to me, that option was too expensive and the order would not be delivered in time for the customer's need even though it was blessed by a manager. It got so bad and so mixed up that even managers just said to me " Just Fix it". Yep - Make the Magic Happen. All of these issues were in just one warehouse in a matter of 3 days where the Legacy U employees had been laid off or "retired". The only people who knew the systems and how to manage the systems. The employees left were not trained properly and have admitted they do not know what they are doing. My customers are suffering! And honestly I am suffering. Work Life Balance is not a good thing with this merger.

Advice to Management

Just stop what you are doing and read all of these reviews. We use Glass Door to tell the truth about what is happening here on the ground. Just stop and listen to what we are experiencing each and every day. The customer is suffering - your employees are suffering.

"Given up on sales. Imploding internal operations"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Veritiv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits package
    Lucrative vendor spiff programs

Cons

Unfortunately the true customer of Veritiv's service is not the customer anymore, but the shareholder. Decisions reflect quarterly earnings and executive management is beginning to make knee-jerk reactions. The company has completely given up on organic sales growth, sales reps are quickly disengaging, and morale is at an all-time low. There is a terrible disconnect between the street and upper management. Middle management lives in fear, toes the line and pedals lies on behalf of executive management. So far it’s clear that Veritiv's strategy is to make more EBITDA on the back of existing sales, annoy an aging sales force into retirement, replace them with young underpaid drone-like sales reps, and acquire small to mid-sized packaging companies to increase revenue. General managers are now essentially full-time cost accountants living by the cut first, ask questions later mantra. It's demonstrable in the company's "synergies" by way of reducing inventory, reducing head count in warehouse staff, customer service, sourcing, replenishment buyers. Largely we're seeing these key internal operations downsized, siloed and centralized in southern states, again for lower labor costs. This has made internal ease of doing business extremely cumbersome. A simple task as setting up an item which once took one person and one day to complete, now must be touched by ten people and takes two weeks to complete with no continuity in the process. Sales reps are becoming overburdened outside customer service reps, drowning in the operations side of the business, continually fixing service errors and apologizing to customers rather than focusing sales proposals. Sales reps are hamstrung with padded and loaded costs on commodity paper, packaging and facilities supplies that make Veritiv uncompetitive. The company is attempting to capture additional cost savings through changing order minimums, more stringent delivery criteria, that is tailored to a very specific customer. Veritiv tends to walk from lower volume, higher margin business. With its current customer base Veritiv is trying to change the customer and its failing. Customers have choice and there are plenty of mid-sized, regional competitors with deeper, wider inventories and better sales propositions that are taking your business. Sales rep commission structure which was once the most lucrative in the industry has been on a steady decline since the merger through straight slashes in commissions, passing on logistics fees, various hidden cost-side adjustments and additional pads mentioned above. Commission plans are complex, convoluted and ever-changing, but one thing is certain. Sales reps are finding to maintain the same level of income as the prior year, they must grow their business by 15% to offset the squeeze the company is putting on them, making actual income growth near impossible. Most intelligent, successful $5-10 million dollar sales reps have witnessed the decline of the company and are leaving or already have left for greener grass.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately Veritiv cannot continue to cut its way to prosperity. Your investors want to see the hockey stick upwards. That takes sales revenue. Develop a sales culture within the organization and re-engage the sales reps. Don't let quarterly earnings lead to near-sighted decisions. Drop your assumptions of sales reps, empower them, give them proper support, put some faith in them, and reward them. Get back to the basics, don't put all the focus squarely on asset (inventory) management but start focusing on the customer, what their needs are, and get back to delivering the perfect order. Stop relying algorithms to try to manage the efficiency of your operations. Simply put service is failing and customers are leaving. Take a hard look at that layers of VPs and analysts you hired from Deloitte, McKinsey and various colleges in GA. Some of them are making a buck-fifty to two bills. Are you really getting what you could from them? Are they directly tied to the success of the company? Quantify their contributions. Perhaps some "synergies" can be made there. Make the compensation plan enticing to the sales force of tomorrow. Stop promoting yes-men and women general managers and shake things up. Challenge the status quo mindset, and hire people that can intelligently inform you when you are doing things wrong. Put some youth and energy into your local sales management teams.

"A real dumpster fire"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Veritiv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I made great friends and still talk to them

Cons

I left Mac papers, a big mistake, and for whatever qualms I had about them it pales in comparison to Veritiv. I brought over a few big customers and the service was downright abysmal or even laughable at times. They could not fill an order or make a simple delivery. My customers were frustrated that one order with five lines had ten invoices and shipped from three different warehouses and delivered on three separate days. Trucks were never on time and orders were never picked correctly, always losing product. This was the story every day.

The company is downsizing overnight and has no infrastructure. They are cutting commissions. It’s turning the reps into zombies and most of them don’t leave the house in the morning. Walking into a sales meeting was like walking into the county morgue. The hostility between my colleagues and management was palpable so much so that my manager went into hiding. Things were becoming so corrosive. I’m glad I’m back at Mac. Had I stayed at Veritiv my reputation would have been ruined. A real nightmare

Advice to Management

Realize your service sucks
    Stop downsizing customer service
    Invest in your salespeople

"From bad to worse"

Current Employee - Director in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I have been working at Veritiv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long time coworkers who have become good friends

Cons

So many, stock price, poor to possible no bonus payouts, CEO who each year demands T&E budget cuts yet she continues to fly private!

Advice to Management

Save yourselves

"Customer Serivce"

I worked at Veritiv full-time

Pros

People are great - Coworkers

Cons

Management - they say one thing and do another - no respect for the business anymore.

Advice to Management

Look around and see the people you work with that make you look good

"Horrible culture and treatment of hard working employees"

I worked at Veritiv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

some good people, although on edge all the time

Cons

24-7 Work environment--abusive management. No respect for employees hard work. Let a lot of good employees go for no reason.

Advice to Management

upper management needs to respect employees who work hard and know what they are doing.

"Administrative"

I worked at Veritiv full-time

Pros

great folks to work with.

Cons

none at this time, thanks

"Probably similar to most 3PL's"

Former Employee - 3PL Account Manager in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - 3PL Account Manager in Norcross, GA

I worked at Veritiv full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good customer service/sales experience. Commission is good some months depending on what accounts you randomly are assigned to. Casual fridays are extremely casual.

Cons

0 room for advancement. 1 year ago they were creating new leadership positions left and right. Today they haven't back filled any of multiple supervisor positions that have opened. Lack of communication about strategy for the segment. You do what you're told and you are expected to be perfectly okay with it even if you were told something completely different the month before.

Advice to Management

Stick to a strategy for more than a couple of months. No one knows what direction you are trying to go. This is very apparent in the extremely high turnover and rapid decline in employ base.