Vertical Screen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Tony D’Orazio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Casual dress code, flexible shifts, can listen to music at work, food trucks on Friday's (in 20 reviews)

• Offer good benefits and casual dress code (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of pressure and stress that comes with the job is worth so much more than the very low pay (in 13 reviews)

• The supervisors act like it is high school (in 11 reviews)

"A Good Place to Work"

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time

Pros

Bosses really appreciated your work, recognized when you put in the extra effort. Flexible with advanced notice as far as working a different shift than usual. For a single employee, benefits were simply provided by the company at no charge to the employee.

Cons

Can feel repetitive; working the evening shift was late, and if you start with evening, it's hard to move to an earlier shift.

2. "You either luck out with this job or it’s just a pit stop unfortunately."

Former Employee - Human Resources Researcher in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Researcher in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was nice to work my preferred shift and not have to wake up in the morning since my shift didn't start until 2:00 PM. This allowed me to have much more time to prepare for work than people stuck with the early bird shift whether here or somewhere else. I was also grateful that I established a full time job just months out of college and that we were allowed to dress casually since business casual attire is not always as comfortable to wear. (Business casual dress was only required to be worn on days when clients would visit, and, luckily, Marcine from Human Resources would notify us roughly one week in advance and then again like two days before the client visit day.)

Cons

Full disclosure; Salary is never the most important job factor or aspect to me but it is only rational and reasonable to make enough to live on your own and then focus much more on the competition of the job and/or the nature of the work. I didn't make nearly enough to move out and support myself financially on my own which is not at all surprising considering I had only been given one raise in the 1 year and 7 month time period that I worked there. (My starting salary was $11.50 per hour and I was bumped to $12 per hour after the first few months. I agree with some family members and former co-workers that we were underpaid for two main reasons. Firstly, we were supposed to average handling 15 research components per hour once fully trained but were paid less than $1 per component. This is especially disappointing since one research component can be quite a tedious process considering it involves a multi-step look-up list process whether it be a GED request, mailing request or a no record question procedure or lengthy reference interviews for instance.) Secondly, I was making roughly $20,000 per year without taxes taken out and that is less than half the average salary, (which is roughly $51,939.)
    It was also a bummer that my supervisor would not ALWAYS get back to me/us when I/we would forward an error alert to them which I/we was/were basically disputing and bringing to their attention. (This was important because errors reduce your quality ratio.) The error system wouldn't be perfect even if your supervisor made sure that he/she ALWAYS responded to them because some errors weren't even fair in the first place considering the rationale or reasoning behind them wasn't even covered on the work instructions in or out of training.
    Another important con to note is that the Human Resources department never got back to me after I internally applied to Public Records. I did this hoping they would provide or offer more room for growth/advancement at least but it was done to no avail. Being happier in another department could have changed my mind a bit but the pay may not have been much better at all regardless. The H.R. department not replying to my internal application was fairly minor compared to the fact that who you know within the company could easily get your foot in the door regarding promotions rather than rewarding workers for their attendance and/or statistics such as action per hour counts, completion per hour counts or their quality ratio which should truly matter and make the job scenario more fair. Also, another current or former employee confirmed that PTO is automatically used for both sick time and call outs.

Advice to Management

Errors should be validated by supervisors before they are even issued in the first place and at least respond to an e-mail disputing one if not required to be validated. Also, a researcher should get at least one raise if they've been with the company for over a year since the first raise which was given after only the first few months. This is especially important since entry level researchers were underpaid in the first place earning $12 per hour after one raise plus some probably had higher than average quality ratios and/or action per hour counts and/ or completion per hour counts to prove their competence and focus on the job which was overlooked and not rewarded. They reward you for having perfect attendance during an entire quarter, (three consecutive months), but not for having impressive stats during that same time period. (It’s kind of ironic if you think about it.) Perfect attendance doesn’t mean a lot if you often make errors and slow down the research process.

3. "Ugh"

Former Employee - Researcher
    Former Employee - Researcher

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time

Pros

Co-workers are friendly because we all know this place is terrible. Anyone who is an hourly worker is cool. It’s a resume filler but to be honest I feel like when people see I work here it hurts my consideration for other jobs.

Cons

Still waiting on that tax cut money from Trump to trickle down to us hourly workers. There are no words that can describe how awful the work to pay ratio is

Advice to Management

Please stop putting misleading reviews on this site. Anything above two or three stars is probably Tony himself trying to get people to come in. People need to know how terrible this place really is and how little you appreciate your workers.

4. "Applicant Services Team Member"

Current Employee - Applicant Services Representative in Warminster, PA
    Current Employee - Applicant Services Representative in Warminster, PA

I have been working at Vertical Screen full-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Health Insurance
    Available Overtime
    Multiple locations
    Up to date security setting
    Travel pay
    Holiday pay and bonuses
    Accessible Parking
    Transition departments is common.

Cons

Environment is dull.
    Work moral is a low.
    High turn around rate
    Supervise can be hostile.
    Favoritism is obviously shown.
    Work systems/programs are not up to date.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to ease the load of existing worker. Explore other methods of training other than modules. Allow trusted workers to study the work and program so they can be more efficient with the work production.

5. "Public Records Researcher"

Former Employee - Public Records Researcher in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Public Records Researcher in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent benefits, the work is not difficult, can listen to music at your desk, building security is good, it is entry-level, they walk you through orientation paperwork well

Cons

training is almost non-existent (was trained not even 2 hours on first day, then for 1 hour 4 days later, nothing in between), very very repetitive job/almost entirely on computer, no feeling of success because more work is always coming in so you make no dent on workload, mostly weird hours offered (6am-2pm/2pm-10pm), fun or friendly co-workers depends entirely on your department within Records--some are nice while others are completely silent/non-welcoming, a state of emergency was declared due to extreme weather and the office stayed open despite extreme danger to employees--they do not care about you.

Advice to Management

Actually train your employees. Put less pressure on supervisors/workers and maybe they can actually focus on training people. CLOSE for the day, or tell your employees to stay home if they feel unsafe, when extreme weather is literally destroying the roads surrounding the office. Nothing says "we don't care about our employees" like requiring them to risk their lives twice in two weeks due to horrendous weather.

6. "Not Terrible... But not the greatest"

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time

Pros

If you work hard you can easily move up in rank. Also, during the busy season you get lots of over-time. Fully paid benefits!

Cons

PTO is automatically used for sick time and call outs

"Take negative reviews with a grain of salt"

I have been working at Vertical Screen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Anyone with good references (even in a completely different job, ex. retail) and a clean record has a decent chance at a job here, so this is a good opportunity for someone who needs office experience.
    - Company likes to hire internally, so after 6-12 months in an entry level position, you will have the opportunity to move up or apply for roles that are more interesting or that match your degree or prior experience.
    - If you're not that ambitious, you can get away with doing the bare minimum (just don't be surprised when you are passed over for promotional opportunities). On the other hand, if you go above and beyond (high quality of work, doing overtime, making suggestions, being proactive, helping colleagues, etc.) management will notice and you will advance quickly.
    - Many departments offer unlimited overtime, sometimes with added incentives.
    - All of their buildings are nice, especially the main one in Warminster.
    - Casual dress (except on client visit days).
    - Paid lunch break and some paid holidays.
    - Big incentives for referrals.
    - Many departments are open 24/7, so you can work outside of normal business hours.
    - Good health benefits if you are single (unfortunately not if you have dependents).
    - The company continues to grow, so there are many positions to be filled.

Cons

- Work demands a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail. You also need to be self-driven and adaptable to change, enjoy problem solving, and not take criticism personally. If these qualities do not describe you, you will not be happy here. I am pretty sure that this is the reason for most of the negative reviews. The high turnover can be depressing, but a lot of people simply aren't a good fit for this company.
    - Starting pay is not very competitive.
    - Overtime is sometimes mandatory.
    - Socializing on the job is discouraged, which can be frustrating if you have an outgoing personality.
    - Supervisors and trainers are overloaded, so it can be difficult to get timely answers to work-related questions.

Advice to Management

- Bring back hourly overtime bonuses.
    - Extended training for new hires, or make trainers more accessible for the first few weeks on the job.
    - Allow (and encourage) all employees to bring their suggestions directly to upper management.
    - Try to be more family friendly by offering better health insurance for employees with dependents, and paid sick leave / family leave that is separate from PTO.

"better off dead"

Former Employee - NCD Research in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - NCD Research in Horsham, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you make money, but not very much

Cons

abusive, high stress work environment; horrible work place bullying

Advice to Management

GTFO

"Avoid at All Costs!"

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing! Love that they are a "green" company but that's all they have going for them. They do NOT care about employees.

Cons

I have never seen such a negative culture and abuse of employees in all my years of working. They manage with intimidation and threat. All departments are treated differently depending on mood of upper management. Super toxic environment. I have worked for many companies over the years and have never felt this type of negativity. It's their way or no way at all. They do not value individuality or your thoughts or ideas. Just keep your head down and do it their way and you'll be ok. They gave one woman trouble for wanting to attend her Grandmother's funeral because it was held 6 months after her passing. She told them at her passing the funeral would be in 6 months and they approved that delayed bereavement day for her. But when the time came, they said they would fire her if she left work to attend the funeral. Please trust me. HR will not be on your side. I was yelled at, full blown screaming for no reason at all. Others said they do this to everyone to beat you down to make you submissive and follow their rules and adhere to management's direction. SAVE YOURSELF and DO NOT WORK FOR THESE MEAN HEARTLESS PEOPLE. I cried every day driving to work and on the way home. I was lucky enough to get out in less than 3 months and I am writing this review years later, as I was so upset at the time, that I couldn't even write this. When you are at the coffee machine and someone whispers to you that you seem nice and why are you working here- you should get out as soon as you can, you know there is a huge issue going on.

Advice to Management

You are mean and heartless. People are the heart and soul of companies. Please start to trust and value your employees. You are better than this and shame on you for all the heartache you have caused to numerous employees.

"Only If You Are Desperate"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Analyst in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual Attire Is Encouraged There

Cons

Mandatory Overtime paid at a regular hourly rate, not time and a half. Not allowed to speak to your co-workers unless you are both on a break and in the break room. No cell phones are allowed to be powered on while not on break and do not even think about using them in the restroom because they say they are watching you in the restroom. No personal calls are allowed either to you or from you even if it is the school or your daycare calling to report a problem with your child. All personal calls will go to your supervisor and they will decide if they will notify you about it then or not until your break. It doesn't matter if it was an emergency call or not. You must ask permission to use the restroom and are told by your supervisor to hold it until it's your break time or until they decide you can go to the restroom.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like prisoners by depriving them from urinating or passing a bowel movement. Allow emergency calls to reach the employee when the call comes in not hours later. Allow the employees to speak to one another. In fact, you should encourage your employees to speak to one another. Make the work schedule clear to the candidate before you hire them, not tell them after they have become an employee that their hours include mandatory overtime that isn't paid at time and a half after 40 hours like every other American Employer. Wake up that your building really is not that special. You may use reclaimed water in your restrooms, but the water actually stinks. The building is cold in the winter and hot in the summer not to mention dark all of the time. No matter how much you tout it to be so energy efficient. It may use less energy, but it most certainly isn't efficient. Being efficient would mean that the place was comfortable to work in and cost less money to keep it comfortable than other similar companies. Learn that employees are human beings, not cattle to be discarded. Treat them right and they will treat you right. I've been working for over 40 years now and I would love to pass some of my hard earned business knowledge onto you with these comments.