Vertical Screen Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tony D’Orazio

Pros
Cons
  • The supervisors act like it is high school (in 11 reviews)

• The amount of pressure and stress that comes with the job is worth so much more than the very low pay (in 11 reviews)

1. "Scarce on PTO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA

I have been working at Vertical Screen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual Dress, very diverse work environment.

Cons

Never allows you to earn more PTO no matter how long you work there or show loyalty on staying.

Advice to Management

More benefits for those who put in time with your company.

"Going From Bad to Worse"

Current Employee - Public Records Researcher - Actions Department in Warminster, PA

I have been working at Vertical Screen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule, Nice Supervisors, Unlimited Overtime and Easy Job that's about all that's good about this company. There is always something to do.

Cons

The pay is only $12 per hour. They are getting sticker about rules and firing more and more people. They also took away incentives for working the summer months. It's too demanding for too little pay. Literally everyone including supervisors are leaving for better jobs.

Advice to Management

Bring back incentives and rise pay.

"Great starter position"

Former Employee - Court Records Researcher in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Court Records Researcher in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, nice managers, flexible hours, relaxed culture. Data entry for the most part. Loved the facility itself and the employee garden program in place while I was there.

Cons

Overtime sometimes became mandatory and pay rate could've been higher.

"HR Researcher"

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Medical benefits. Free garden

Cons

The pay is horrible, the favoritism is absolute. The floor supervisors and their pets are on a power trip. The work load keeps on going up, without compensation. Now the autos are taken away, and your queue is 120 in 7 1/2 hours. That is 1 component per 3 1/2 minutes, but you don't get credit for autos you find, you don't get credit for anything that has to be escalated for the supervisors to handle (unless it comes back to you, which it rarely does}. Errors are issued random, usually it is the last person handling the component.

Advice to Management

I've seen what 1 or 2 good reviews on here, the rest have stated over and over again the same issues. Lousy pay, favoritism, bad handling of the work, the lack of respect given to the average worker, etc... what do you think your clients are thinking when they do their research and see this over and over and over again . You can keep on saying that it is unhappy workers but not when almost every one is repeating, from all different departments. You have serious problems within your company. And your high turn over rate should tell you everything. How much do you waste training people, and then they walk out within 3 weeks or a couple of months? How many clients have taken their business elsewhere because of mismanagement of components?

"Vertical Shaft is more like it"

Former Employee - Public Records Researcher in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Public Records Researcher in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work itself is pretty easy (too easy in fact)
    Casual dress code - you can pretty much wear whatever you want
    They actually train people, so no experience necessary
    Benefits after 3 months of work (but good luck trying to make it that long)

Cons

Off hours - very hard to get a 9-5 position here. You WILL work either 6a-2p, 2p-10p, or 10p-6a for a significant amount of time before you are able to switch to a different shift on a permanent basis (and the chances of that are pretty slim).

Meager pay - Sure $12/hour FT is great if you just walked out of high school with no skills and still live with your parents. But most people there have a Bachelor's if not higher. You get a raise that doesn't even come close to covering cost of living once a year.

Half hour lunch, no breaks - it's in the middle of an office park with no real food options immediately near by, so unless you're super into leftovers or freezer meals every day, you're going to spend most of your "lunch" in your car going to get food. They also skirt around legally required breaks (30 minute lunch, 2 fifteen minute breaks) by saying that (and I'm quoting a CEO or something here) "technically, you're only working 7.5 hours and we just pay you for your break".

Deceptive practices - They don't tell you in the Public Records department that the 3 divisions are tiered. Courts are the lowest, Actions in the middle and Validators at the top. I was switched from Courts to Actions without my consent and was lied to my face when I directly asked if I was being moved. Technically it was a "promotion" as Actions are allowed to "quality" (think of it like a demerit from high school) Courts workers. But there's no pay increase, no title change, no other benefit and a TON more work. Plus in Actions, you constantly have Validators breathing down your neck. So it was a promotion in that I got 5x more work to do but absolutely 0 benefit.

Meaningless rules - They mention it over and over and over again in training that you're not allowed to be on your phone (no texting, no facebook, etc.) if you're in the building. Supposedly this is for security reasons. But once you're actually working EVERYONE is on their phone because they let you use it listen to music while working. I've even had supervisors tell me they don't care if I'm on my phone on Facebook or texting. If they were serious about not letting people be on their phones for the whole 8 hours, they should take people's phones away.

Not enough bathrooms - They say that about 600 people work for Vertical Screen. There are about 20 total toilets in the entire building. And because of the phone "rule", this leads to people sitting on the toilet for 20 minutes playing on their phone. Don't work here if you have urgent digestive issues because there WILL be a time when you can't immediately go to the bathroom.

Validators are the tail that wag the dog - Validators have final say on someone's record being reported to a client. Trainers will train you how to do something one way, but then a validator will quality (remember, it's like a demerit) you for not doing it how THEY like it. This leads to cases bouncing back and forth between departments and then the queue (the total number of cases the entire company has to process) getting high and the higher ups freaking out which makes poop roll downhill.

Advice to Management

Fix how your company is internally run. If you have to say during the interview that "we have so much turnover because we promote from within so much" (which is a half-truth: turnover IS extremely high here, but it's not because of internal promotions) then maybe you should address why people leave so quickly and so often rather than just chewing through people like a meat grinder.

Be honest. I would probably still be at Vertical Screen, but moving me to Actions without my consent and then lying to my face about it really soured me on the company. That took it from being a boring job with minor annoyances to something I needed to get away from.

Pay your employees what they're worth. This would also help with the turn over issue. Like I said above, $12/hour (Before taxes!) full time is great if you walked out of high school with no skills whatsoever and still live with your parents. But most people working here have a Bachelor's or higher, and live on their own and a lot of people have kids. $12 an hour before taxes isn't going to pay the bills or buy diapers.

Let people take breaks. This is mind-numbing work and 1 half hour break isn't enough to recharge to get through your shift. I found it so ironic when Vertical Screen kicked off a health and wellness fair but company policy meant that you should be sitting in a chair for 7.5 hours a day, which will kill you just as fast as a smoking habit will. Currently it feels like the CEOs care more about the environment than the health and wellness of their employees.

"There are multiple pros and cons but the pros do NOT outweigh the cons."

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was nice to work my preferred shift and not have to wake up in the morning since my shift didn't start until 2:00 PM. I was also grateful that I established a full time job just months out of college.

Cons

I didn't make nearly enough to move out and support myself financially on my own which is not at all surprising considering I had only been given one raise in the 1 year and 7 month time period that I worked there. (My starting salary was $11.50 per hour and I was bumped to $12 per hour after the first few months I agree with some family members and former co-workers that we were underpaid for two main reasons. Firstly, we were supposed to average handling 15 research components per hour but were paid less than $1 per component. This is especially disappointing since one research component can be quite a tedious process considering a multi-step look-up list process whether it be a GED request, mailing request or a no record question procedure or lengthy reference interview for instance.) Secondly, I was making roughly $20,000 per year without taxes taken out and this is less than half the average salary, (which is roughly $51,939.)

It was also a bummer that my supervisor would not ALWAYS get back to me/us when I/we would forward an error alert to them which I/we was/were basically disputing and bringing to their attention. (This was important because errors reduce your quality ratio.) The error system wouldn't be perfect even if your supervisor made sure that he/she ALWAYS responded to them because some errors weren't even fair in the first place considering the rationale or reasoning behind them wasn't even covered on the work instructions in or out of training.

Another important con to note is that the Human Resources department never got back to me after I internally applied to two other departments. I did this hoping they would provide or offer more room for growth/advancement at least but it was done to no avail. Being happier in another department could have changed my mind a bit but the pay may not have been much better at all regardless.

Advice to Management

Always be sure to respond to error alerts and they should be validated by supervisors before they are even issued in the first place. Also, a researcher should get at least one raise if they've been with the company for over a year since the first raise which was given after only the first few months. This is especially important if they have a higher than average quality ratio, action per hour count or completion per hour count.

"Absolutely terrible"

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are okay.

Cons

I was with the company for 4 years. I worked my way up and was an exceedingly hard worker so I had decent raises. I STILL did not make enough per paycheck to afford my bills. I worked 20+ hours of overtime every check. There is no home/work balance. It's very rare that they hire competent people. People are not treated equally. If you slack off, sleep at your desk, come in late, etc. there are no consequences. But if you're an actual good employee you're treated poorly.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If you have someone come to you multiple times about issues within a department, don't just tell them "there's nothing we can do." Listen to them. Do something about it. Maybe this company wouldn't have such a poor turnover rate.

"Good for those with no outside life"

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time

Pros

Flexible with schedule changes. Free gardens that they supply everything for. Unlimited overtime if you hit your weekly targets, which can be and usually is difficult. You can listen to music while you work.

Cons

There is major favoritism. If you're not a favorite be prepared to get targeted. Upper management relies on lower management to know what is going on. It's extremely over crowded in the massive open floor office. It's like high school with the drama and constant talking behind people's backs. Mid-level management is very under-qualified, inexperienced, and constantly begs for overtime. This is a good job to have while you're looking for a real job. This is also a good job if you have no outside life or responsibilities as the "management" team expects staff to be working every waking moment of the day, 7 days a week. The amount of pressure and stress that comes with the job is worth so much more than the very low pay. You're constantly watched via computer, e-mail, abundant amount of cameras, eye scanner, ID badge scanner. The "management" team that is on the floor while you work are always looking for ways to write people up, reprimand, or treat staff like prisoners. If you want to succeed at this place you need to be a favorite of the assistant managers as they pick their friends or people they know will abide by their commands. The moment you challenge their decision is the moment you turn into a very big target.

Advice to Management

More like advice to the CEO: Get to know your staff. Realize your management team is killing your business, office morale, and you're ultimately losing employees that dedicate a lot of time to helping you and your business grow and succeed. Pay your employees what they're worth. Twelve dollars an hour isn't going to get you very many employees who put their heart and soul into a job. Increase PTO or add personal days. The amount of PTO an employee accumulates is virtually nothing. Take care of those who have been there for more than 5 years. Your staff feels unappreciated and the office feels more like a sweatshop than a place of business. Reconfigure your "management" team. The assistant managers have taken over your office and your department manager is never taken seriously because they never leave their office long enough to know what transpires on the floor. Stop the favoritism your assistant managers show on a daily basis. Realize your staff has other responsibilities other than working insane hours or being demanded to work overtime just to make your pockets thicker.

9. "Underrated"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warminster, PA

I have been working at Vertical Screen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The negative reviews on here are most likely from all of the lazy people who work or have worked at VS. There is a lot of growth opportunity at this company. I started here 3 years ago in the lowest department (data entry). I needed a job while I finished school. I got promoted to another department less than a year later, with a 3$ raise. I now work in the corporate office since I finished school, after only 3 years of being here. Another person from the data entry department was recruited to work in Human Resources. Don't let anyone tell you there's no room for growth. There are constant emails going out to everyone about new job openings within the company. They provide a lot of complimentary luncheons, and the overtime is unlimited. They are extremely flexible with schedule and very understanding for those who have kids and difficult lives! As a single mom I always had to call out or be late, and not once was I reprimanded or warned. They understand that life is tough sometimes. The company hires a lot of the lazy complainers because it is desperate to fill positions, but these people hate doing any amount of work and therefore knit pick at anything that is wrong with the company! Their benefits are great as well. Free dental, medical, and vision, and a 401k plan for each employee (benefits for family cost extra). I DO recommend this company, despite its (minor) flaws.

Cons

Yes, depending on the department you start in, the pay is low. You get a 4% raise every year. But you know the pay rate going into the job, so don't complain about it if you were the one who accepted it! 30 minute break time sucks too, but again, I think the pros outweigh the cons. The amount of opportunity they provide for growth is outstanding. They give anyone a fair shot at job opportunities. I went from living with my parents to owning my own home in just 3 years because of this company's growth opportunities.

"It's not worth the stress!"

Former Employee - Public Records in Warminster, PA
    Former Employee - Public Records in Warminster, PA

I worked at Vertical Screen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hours a week. The work is easy. There's a paid but pathetic 30 minute break. The hours are sometimes flexible.

Cons

Omg... where to begin? This entire place is trash. The management in the public records department is hysterically unprofessional. These people live off their "power" positions and bring down the ones who actually work hard. They don't even do anything... it's pathetic. They are rude and disrespectful, but can't handle it when you give them a taste of their own filth. If you're exceeding the department expectations then don't expect recognition, because they only reach out if you're making errors. They have favorites (of course) and will make sure you know they don't like you. The place is gossip central so beware. You really can't move up unless you suck up to them.

Advice to Management

GET A GRIP!!! You're all a joke. You act like you're these amazingly professional leaders but slack off and talk smack all day.