Verticalmove Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Verticalmove Founder and President Matthew Allen
Matthew Allen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun, aggressive and getting it done."

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Verticalmove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place inspires me to take my professional-game to the next level. I’ve worked at other firms where we had to scrap for clientele, this place literally has to turn away clients because it can’t hire good enough people, fast enough, for its own self. That’s a pretty awesome situation to be in.

I can’t speak for everybody else, but I’ve been given access to a bevy of tools necessary to do my job more efficiently (LinkedIn Recruiter, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Sourcing Department and I’ve been paired with a TQSr). Getting your job done isn’t rocket science and you get a lot of support and training from management and your peers in order to be successful.

The commission plan is straight forward and is structured like any other sales oriented career with no glass-ceiling. It doesn’t matter what sales organization you work within, it doesn’t matter what you’re selling ~ manage your time poorly, work 40 hours or less and you’ll be disappointed.

Cons

Perception is everything. Turn the negatives into positives, or just sit there and complain about the negatives. This is a small enough company where you have a lot of impact where your reaction to the pros and cons are felt across the company. Similar to other sales environments where I’ve worked, hit the numbers and management will do everything to keep you happy and advancing.

Advice to Management

I’d like to see a more defined path for career advancement, example ~ do XYZ and you get promoted to the next level. I’ll leave this open-end as I’m sure I’ll have more advice as my time at Verticalmove continues forward……………..

2. "Work Culture More Toxic than Flint Michigan Drinking Water"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I worked at Verticalmove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer good tech training. They also have a decent roster of clients and it's nice that they are located in the Bothell area. It's an easy commute from the North.

Cons

Abusive and integrity-free upper management and ownership. They are kings of the over-promise-under-deliver with both clients and employees. Higher turnover than industry average. If they find a way to screw employees, they will take the first opportunity to do so. There are agencies with higher integrity bars out there. Go work at one of those instead.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect people and maybe this company will actually grow instead of feeding better companies like Amazon and Facebook.

Jun 18, 2017

We appreciate the time you took to convey your thoughts and concerns. We believe that negative feedback can sometimes be the best feedback, especially when constant improvement is deeply rooted... More

"Challenging environment with great growth!"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Verticalmove (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a challenge that keeps me on my toes and I love it because it is so fast paced and it keeps me on my toes! I'm a woman and my experience has been nothing but professional. I love that of the 12 people in the company, there are 3 women and 1 is a Director! Being new to the industry, people are always willing to take time out of their VERY busy schedule to help me grow and develop. I'm always encouraged by the CEO, Matt, to come to him if I have any questions or want more training in another area. I really see myself growing in the company long term.

Cons

It definitely isn't a 9-5 Job. In order to be successful, it does mean that we are looking at a 10-12 hour work day (2-4 hours outside of office). But that is offset by the uncapped commission structure and great PTO policy.

Advice to Management

It can be a bit of an intense environment sometimes, it would be good to have some team activities every once in a while to create some levity.

Jun 18, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review. We take your comments very seriously. If you have any further advice for improvement please get in touch: hr at verticalmove dot-com.

4. "Changed my Life. Great Company to Grow at Professionally."

Current Employee - Lead Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Lead Technical Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Verticalmove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get out what you put in, like anything. The culture is conducive for individuals / professionals who:

1.) Don't care for Politics
    2.) Are open and receptive to learning.
    3.) Driven & passionate about what they do day-in / day-out.

Like any review, it's subjective. Mine is no different. Though this reviewer can say that joining Verticalmove was by far the best decision that he's made professionally. Joined late 2014.

I love the People and Management, who is generally open to new ideas and critique of existing frameworks / methods. There is a tacit understanding at Verticalmove amongst Leadership. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and benignly expecting different results. This is the type of company where, if you need help, just flag someone down and ask questions. Fact: You'll get all the help you need and more at this company! One of the benefits of working alongside people who are very passionate about they do is, generally, that they love to talk about what they do and teach others what they know.

When I first joined, I needed A LOT of help. I can honestly say that it was there at every turn. If you're the type of person who need only be told something once or twice to self-correct, or the kind who gets excited by new & large ideas and/or concepts and like finding creative new ways to do things, then Verticalmove is a great place for you to blossom as a professional. My case in point.

I was a sponge and soaked up everything when I was new. I watched some of the best Technical Recruiters in the industry day-in day-out--actually, maybe THE best. The CEO of Verticalmove is passionate, he cares enough to get down on YOUR level and teach you directly. I learned everything I know from him (and other Members). He also believes that you get-out what you put-in.

From the top down trickles a culture of apprenticeship and dedication to employee / personnel.
    After only a short time in the industry, I was confident enough with my skills--having been given more than adequate training and attention from Top Earners.

My professional goal prior to joining Verticalmove was always this: Make $100,000 in a fiscal year. I believed with all my heart, that if I could achieve this mark that I'd be worry free. For me, this magic number was a measuring stick for how I defined success, at that time.

After achieving this mark in year one, I have a new stick for measuring "what-is" professional success and, needless to say, and now have set different goals.

That pretty much sums up Verticalmove.

Cons

Sometimes I forget to take my Lunch break so, I have to set an alert / reminder occasionally.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your employees in ways that you have in the past. Also, continue being open and receptive to new ides that elevate the Company and various Teams.

Jun 18, 2017

5. "Challenging and worth it"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Verticalmove full-time

Pros

I have worked in several different agencies here in Seattle and while I absolutely think no firm is perfect (this one isn't) for everyone there are some firms that are better fitted to certain mindsets and personality. We work hard her, which is why we are successful. Yes it can be long days sometimes, and yes we are a very passionate group but I've worked in an agency where people come in, put in their 40 hours, then clock out. It's utterly demoralizing. Here I am challenged, well compensated, and get a voice in how this firm grows. I've never had that anywhere else.

Pros:
    Single best commission structure I've seen in any other agency

The ability to disagree with my boss and it is ok

Autonomy - I'm not micromanaged. We all align to specific goals and I need that sort of structure.

Cons

Like I said the culture isn't for everyone. We are aggressive hunters and that culture isn't a fit for everyone. There's nothing wrong with that and there are plenty of other agencies that will fit that mentality. We simple aren't it. If someone is looking for a calm and slow moving group this is absolutely not the right fit.

Advice to Management

Take a breath and slow down.

Jun 18, 2017

"If daily threats of being fired is your thing, this could be a great opportunity for you,"

I worked at Verticalmove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Verticalmove has a very curated client base and generous compensation structure. The CEO is truly an elite recruiter with unmatched work ethic who can and will teach you everything he knows to the best of his ability.

You'll be taught advanced recruiting methods, deep insights into the silicon valley industry and how to identify the top 5-10% of engineers..

Cons

Unfortunately, there are serious business process and management issues which have kept the company small and high turnover for many years. Combine that with a hostile micromanagement leadership style and it's a place you'll mostly likely be glad you left and wish you had left sooner.

For example: a consistent theme and rhetoric in the morning meetings, after the CEO berates the team for 30 minutes about call numbers and metrics, is a blanket threat over the organization that if they don'd achieve "X" this day/week is that they'll be fired without discrimination.

In my experience and opinion; the cons severely outweigh the pros at VerticalMove.

Advice to Management

It might a good idea to just go solo.

Feb 27, 2016

Thank you for your professional and incredibly well-written review. Sometimes the best feedback is not always five-star (positive) and we welcome constructive criticism. Continuous improvement is the... More

"So bad they made fake reviews"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Verticalmove full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The potential is great as well as the PTO.

Cons

Micromanagement, no work life balance, realistically you will not be making anywhere near the seniors.
    It is honestly so bad that you can tell half these reviews are fake and made by management in the company.
    Be smart, save yourself the time, do not fall for a corny email saying they are looking for a certain personality and its yours.

Advice to Management

Stop making fake reviews.

Mar 19, 2016

I can be sure that we’re NOT manufacturing fake reviews. Curious about what it’s like to work for our company? Please feel free to drop by our offices anytime or get in touch with any of our current... More

"Hostile work environment, Unveiling of the CEO"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Verticalmove full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make good money $$$
    Become one of the most technical recruiters in the industry
    Colleagues are somewhat helpful
    Commission structure is unbelievably well constructed

Cons

CEO demonstrates sexual misconduct towards his female employees to protect his own interests as CEO. Women, if you TRUST Matt to take care of you as an employee and treat you with respect and dignity, you will be sadly mistaken.
    Account managers do not share reqs and will only submit their own candidates.
    Must work from 7am - 8pm or LATER and must work weekends in order to meet Matt's standards. If you DO NOT you will be let go within a few weeks.

Feb 29, 2016

Your remark about sexual misconduct is absolutely concerning and egregious. We maintain a very professional relationship with all our current and former female employees. In fact, our HR Director... More

"Don't fall for it..."

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Verticalmove (Less than a year)

Pros

You may learn a lot of information about technology, but save yourself the time and google it instead!

Cons

The owner of this company thinks he is a gift to the world. You could call it Kanye West syndrome. He will "teach you everything he knows" so that you can be successful but really only a couple of people in the office make real money and the rest are just work horses for the top couple producers. He expects you to work night and day but is passive aggressive about it and will make you feel guilty for not dedicating your life to perfecting your new recruiting skills outside of work hours. He will act like he best mentor you could ever have and then fire you for personal gain, or to cover up his own mistakes. I saw it happen to a few coworkers while there. The way this company is run and the "inspiration" and "motivation" that is used is very similar to that of a brainwashing MLM scheme. The office is DEAD silent and extremely boring with just a few employees. Definitely not recommended, glad I got out sooner rather than later!

Advice to Management

Take a chill pill.

Jan 25, 2016

We’re sincerely apologetic that you didn’t have a better experience while at Verticalmove, Inc. Please allow me to touch upon some of your grievances: (a) Compensation: As many others have stated... More

10. "Hard Work Pays"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at Verticalmove full-time

Pros

Great training and resources, good reward, clear expectations, and lots of positive energy.

Cons

This is not a 9-5 job, it's tough, and definitely not a place to be if you want to be mediocre.