VisionIT Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
David H. Segura

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people at VisionIT are great people and it makes it a great place to work (in 5 reviews)

• Great team leads on the recruitment side (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I am not sure I would refer anyone to the VisionPro line of business (in 2 reviews)

• Little to no employee appreciation (in 2 reviews)

1. "Feeling Good about Where I Work!"

I have been working at VisionIT full-time

Pros

Great place to work. The team are knowledgeable, fair and use valuable data to make decisions.

Cons

Can't think of anything. Maybe we could have more team events.

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication and continue to allow employees to share their ideas for improvement.

"Concern for employees"

I worked at VisionIT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not too many reasons to work here. They do seem to have visions of future grandure, which may hold promise in the future

Cons

The company seems to be fractured and dis-functional, making it hard to get anything done. Any decision of any significance whatsoever must be routed through a single person. While the company puts on the appearance of being a large multi-national IT services and consulting company, it’s really quite small, centered in Detroit with an auxiliary office in Mexico. This small company approach becomes very apparent when it comes to having any sort of impact in the industry. The management is not composed of "business people" who have real management skills and experience.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a company that has a future.

"Dropped like a hot potato"

Former Employee - Analyst/Developer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst/Developer in Detroit, MI

I worked at VisionIT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic company that may succeed eventually. Comfortable working environment.

Cons

Benefits package has improved since last year, but is still average at best. Still finding their way in a new business model (for them); growing pains moving from a strictly placement service to a combined placement and IT services model.

I was let go by the company 6 months after having relocated to Michigan by their request. The work they expected to get in did not materialize, which can happen, but this was their mistake, not mine and I was told that my performance was not an issue. However, I, and my supervisor, were given no advance notice that I was going to be let go. No severance pay and my remaining PTO was not cashed out.

Advice to Management

Consider instituting a 2-week notice policy, at least for layoffs. Be more open with your mid-level management about the company's future direction and personnel decisions.

4. "Good opportunities"

I worked at VisionIT full-time

Pros

The CEO is truly excited about their lines of practices and exudes optimism about the future of the company. Great positivity! They have a diverse talent pool and a variety of technologies and opportunity, with changing opportunities all the time. Also, they recently rolled out new benefits and updated their 401K rules, looking to make these better for their employees.

Cons

Nothing currently to comment here.

Advice to Management

No comments.

"disfunctional"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Detroit, MI

I have been working at VisionIT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VisionIT is a small family owned family company that specializes in minority set asides for staffing and the occasional custom IT project. The Brother and Sister team that owns and runs VisionIT have a good roster of contacts that they farm quite well within the Detroit area.

Cons

The company is rather dis-functional. It is hard to get anything done. Any decision of any significance whatsoever must be routed through a single person. While the company puts on the appearance of being a large multi-national consulting company, it’s really quite small, centered in Detroit with an auxiliary office in Mexico. This small company approach becomes very apparent when it comes to benefits and simple things, such as accruing vacation time (which many of my ex-coworkers have been cheated out of). The culture is also very strange. It is NOT the culture of a high-tech company; rather it is the culture of an HR department, with focuses on minutia and 80's style work rules. Rules that do nothing to advance our mission, but rather come across as rules with the only purpose of pleasing what an HR person would do. The company is also amazingly bureaucratic. It is HARD to get anything done. While we have a tagline of "Fast Simple Smart", I laugh inside each time I hear it. This company moves internally at a snail pace. We do hire allot of very smart people, but they do not stay. Which leads me to my last thought - the turn over. This company has the most turn over of any company I have EVER seen. Smart people join but then either leave quickly when they realize their hands or tied, or get fired because they weren't effective (probably because their hands were tied)

Advice to Management

Address the turnover problem. It's really quite ridiculous how many people come in, and leave quickly. Our customers DO notice this. Get this company moving faster. While it's nice that it is a motto, come on. I've never seen a company this slow moving internally. Finally - start treating our people right when they leave. Pay them their vacation time - regardless of what state they live in, pay them their severance if they are due it due to country rules. And pay it on time. This non-sense of dragging it out over months is immoral. If you want to pretend to be a big company, then act like it and pay people what they are owed - WHEN they are owed.

"Used to be a great company!"

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Detroit, MI

I worked at VisionIT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a great team of people and when I originally started, the leadership seemed to genuinely care about their people. They had a lot of business mostly on the VMS side due to the minority status of the company

Cons

Took on business that many times was unrealistic and not fillable. Recently, the leadership seemed more interested in their own interests rather than the interests of the people who were making them the money. It was sad to see this change

Advice to Management

Care about your people, they are the ones enabling you to live the lifestyle you are living but they need to make a living as well. Undercutting commissions does not drive motivation. Listen to the recruiters who are talking with candidates on a daily basis instead of discounting their thoughts and opinions. Recognize that this is a difficult job and appreciate your employees

"Good company for contractors"

Former Employee - Tape Librarian/Tape Media Analyst in Georgetown, TX
    Former Employee - Tape Librarian/Tape Media Analyst in Georgetown, TX

I worked at VisionIT (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are very efficient form beginning to end of the hiring process. They are also very good at keeping in contact with you during the contact period. Never had any issues with benefits or pay. Great company.

Cons

Not any cons that come to mind. Allowing for human error, they really do make the effort to be on top of everything.

"Worst head hunter group I have ever been with"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at VisionIT full-time

Pros

Cannot think of one pro. No communication, no performance reviews, no overtime pay, no raises, no employee handbook, websites do not work fully, eg. dynamichr.com, misleading information. Could never recommend to anyone. They just collect money at workers expense.

Cons

Never a performance review in 3 years. No raise or cost of living adjustment. No overtime compensation even when working consistent 65+ hours a week for 3 years. No employee handbook, and when questions are asked, they are not answered. Have no idea who the people are. Have never ever met them. One time they wanted to meet, but at my expense. Their employee websites have minimum info. DID I MENTION NO, NONE, ZIP performance review in 3 years. NO, NONE cost of living or raise and I am considered a stellar, invaluable performer at the company that pays them "god knows how much". No transparency at all. A true uninformed slave to some unknown system and company. Where are the employee rights? This company has to be paying politicians off. Where are my rights? Why cannot I find out if other employees get raises, or overtime, or any bonuses. I bring in enormous overtime to this sleezy group and get nothing, zip, not even a performance review! No yearly feedback as to why no raises occur. Horrid place.

Advice to Management

I hope a class action lawsuit is brought against you some day. I basically see your company as thieves.

"Questionable Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at VisionIT (More than a year)

Pros

They offer Reasonable PTO, health care, you can wear jeans. You get to work in mid town. Flexible with your schedule.

Cons

They use a lot of smoke and mirrors when they provide their quarterly updates to the company. Certain members of their leadership team are always angry and you start to wonder why they are even working here. There is ALOT of turnover. I am not sure I would refer anyone to the VisionPro line of business. It just seems very dysfunctional.

Advice to Management

Look into replacing some of your leadership at the executive level. The reason two out of your three lines of business are failing could be because of members at the executive level. Check your exit reviews and see how many people leave because of them.

"Unfair treatment"

I worked at VisionIT full-time

Pros

The headquarters appears to show a fun yet professional culture. Some of the employees genuinely care about the quality of their work and about others.

Cons

Pay raises and promotions are only given to those who are "friends" with management a merit increase is not based on the quality or amount of work you do. I witnessed unfair treatment to minority employees. One of my former coworkers was asked to cover several different responsibilities outside of her actual role and was not compensated for it. She was given less money than the person they hired in after her although she was the one training them and she had more education. Many employees were let go without reason. I noticed that most of the individuals that were let go were those who did not suck up to management.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees their worth. Reward good work ethic and not just your "friends". Do not take advantage of good people who are willing to be team players when others are not.

VisionIT Response

Jun 10, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take these issues very seriously and would like the opportunity to address the situation. Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, but if you'd like... More