Volume Nine Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Volume Nine CEO Natalie Henley
Natalie Henley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun place to work, but can be volatile"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Volume Nine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, flexible work schedules, work from home days make this a super-flexible job with a great work-life balance.

They do try to provide innovative solutions to all clients -- programs are not cookie cutter.

Cons

High turnover creates stress for employees and managers. Production workers are often spread too thin.

2. "Absolutely a Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Volume Nine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the, if not the best company I have worked for in the past 20 years! Management is always going above and beyond to take care of the employees. As it is a fast paced environment, they really do take the time to make sure everyone is included and make you feel like you are actually a part of the company, not just an employee. A lot of the little benefits make it all a worthwhile place to work, ie can work remote 2 days a week, unlimited PTO.

My previous fellow employees were some of the best and smartest people dedicated to making clients and V9 a success.

Cons

It is a smaller company and some challenges do come from that in a work environment. Fast paced, can be stressful at times with so few employees which can lead to burn out for some. Although some do thrive in these types of situations, not everyone does.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! As V9 expands and grows, make sure to keep the value on the employees and not just clients. Good help is hard to find.

3. "Rewarding Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Volume Nine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, Volume Nine is a great company to work for. Management truly cares about the employees here and tries to make the company as transparent as possible - you feel like you're a valued part of the company.

V9ers are some of the smartest and most creative people I've worked with. Everyone is committed to creating great work for clients, and are constantly coming up with innovations and new ideas for clients.

Volume Nine is definitely a fast-paced company - things can change quickly, and you're expected to wear more hats outside of your defined job. It's definitely not for everyone, but it always keeps the work engaging and interesting.

Unlimited PTO and two remote days per week are great perks!

Cons

The company has been through a lot of changes in the past year as we try to find our niche in the evolving SEO industry. It feels like there is some trial and error involved in this process, so you sometimes find yourself working on an internal project that becomes irrelevant a few weeks later. Fortunately, the majority of projects you tackle actually become implemented and you can see the positive effect your work has on V9.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It's very refreshing to work for a company that clearly values transparency and their employees. As we continue to grow as a company, continue to keep employees involved and informed.

4. "Personally and Professionally Rewarding Work!"

Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Volume Nine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like to be challenged at work, and even after having worked here for a while, I still always feel that the work is challenging and pushes me to always improve my skill-set. The executive leadership team is always very supportive and willing to listen to all feedback. Every job has its stress-points, but what I really appreciate is leadership's willingness to listen to all criticism (negative and positive) and give the team permission to have a voice in the company's future.

In every job I've ever had, they always say that the job is what you make it. At Volume Nine, I truly feel that they believe that and I have always felt appreciated for my efforts. Over my years at Volume Nine, the next step in my career path was always up to me and I've always appreciated the freedom to determine my own next step.

Lastly, I love that this is a company where our executive leadership team is always willing to get in the trenches with us. It's not the type of environment where the CEO locks herself in a room or the Founder is inaccessible. The open door policy is the real deal here, and they are always willing to hop in and help.

Cons

It's definitely challenging work that likely isn't for everyone. There are certainly times where the company will challenge someone's upper limits to adaptability and personal accountability, and this certainly can be stressful. That all being said, after working with Volume Nine for a handful of years, I appreciate the level of transparency and support I have received in these challenging moments of personal and professional growth.

Advice to Management

Coming from a small agency that definitely lacked a clear direction or due north, I have always appreciated the transparency behind where we wanted to go as a team and how we were going to get there. Stay committed to that as it has benefits ranging from pushing the team to be more adaptable to change while also making sure we're all rowing in the same direction. It's one of the things I appreciate most about working for Volume Nine, so let's never lose sight of it!

5. "Terrible Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Volume Nine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a young company, so it should be a fun and energetic place to work. Upper management ruins it. Stay away!

Cons

This is a terrible place to work! They burn through employees faster than any other agency I have ever worked with. Example, almost everyone in their main company photo for their Glass Door profile is gone. The annual turnover rate rate was over 60% during my time there. Don't be fooled. They say that they value employees but really don't care.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees better if you want to build a successful agency. Clients notice when your employees leave at the rate they do at Volume Nine.

Mar 16, 2018 – VP, People & Finance

Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback and I honestly regret that you've had such a negative experience with Volume Nine.

Your sentiments sadden me quite a bit, as we have worked very... More

6. "V9 - Fun, Energetic, Fast-Paced"

Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President Technology in Denver, CO

Pros

For those who thrive in a fast-paced ever changing environment working with super talented, highly motivated, and energetic crew full of personality then this is the job for you! The digital marketing landscape is constantly evolving and V9 has always been among the best at evolving with the times.

Cons

For some, the pace of evolution may be too much to handle. V9 is not the place for those looking for a slow and steady workplace.

Advice to Management

As with most small/medium businesses offering competitive "traditional" benefits like 401k and affordable healthcare can be a challenge.

7. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Volume Nine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked at Volume Nine for several years now, I can echo many of the positive comments in regards to industry expertise, company culture, and non-tangible benefits. Working remotely for 2 days per week is a great benefit that shows the company's flexibility and trust in its employees. The same goes for the very generous unlimited PTO policy. But aside from that, the company really puts energy into building employees' knowledge, skills and accumen. You do have to be sharp, organized and driven to do well at Volume Nine, but I see this as a pro. We are surrounded by peers who choose to do a great job, learn more every day, and drive the company and our clients forward as a result.

Cons

Some challenges come from being a smaller company. One of them is that often employees find themselves "wearing a bunch of hats" and doing split roles. This comes as a result of growth and can pose a challenge for many employees. Shifting job descriptions and expectations can be daunting and difficult to manage. It can also lead to burnout, which is a very unfortunate consequence.

Advice to Management

I think V9 is a fabulous place to work, and I think that management is well aware of most of the challenges faced by employees and tends to address them. Sometimes management fails to see or address stress points adequately, but this is not an issue all the time. One other area of improvement could be the option of adding benefits such as short-term disability (which has been in flux for 2 years) and 401(k).

Feb 8, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to ​write​ a review and ​offer up ​some ​valuable insight​s​ into what is great about being part of the V9 family. ​

Volume Nine is a small and growing company, and... More

"A great place to work and learn"

Former Employee - Senior SEO Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior SEO Specialist in Denver, CO

Pros

Volume 9 is a good group of smart people. I worked there for just about 2 years in an advanced SEO production role. I grew my skills a LOT because of the freedom and autonomy I was provided after the first few months of establishing myself within the team.

My work was comprised of a good mix of templated standard projects and "free form" consulting projects where I could problem solve, set strategies and communicate with clients on complex SEO initiatives. One of the best parts about working for Volume 9 is the ability to make it what you want it to be - as long as the client gets the best service and results at the end of the day.

Many of my colleagues had an option to learn new specialties and try new industry tools to better do their job - based on their own initiative. There is a strong spirit of collaboration amongst the teams if you make the effort to keep your colleagues in the loop and set the right expectations for how they can help you on a project...or how you want to contribute to theirs.

Employees are encouraged to contribute to the blog, holiday party planning and community service projects.

The company provides two remote work days per week!

Cons

The vacation time is limited and accrued slowly. That being said, I didn't work more than 37-42 hours any given week so burnout wasn't too much of an issue except in temporarily short staffed periods.

Team structure shifted several times in my two years. I believe it was a genuine effort to better serve clients and make employees happier but there was some friction during those transitions. Seems like that has settled down though.

Advice to Management

Set very clear expectations for employees' roles and revisit them periodically or reinforce them verbally. While it's nice to have freedom to define your own role, a basic set of responsibilities may help employees feel they're on track - the shining stars will outgrow that list on their own.

Encourage leadership to exert authority. Mid and lower level employees want direction and decisive decision making even if they don't ask for it.

Jan 7, 2016 – CEO

I am a little late in responding to this review, but we have had some great changes at Volume Nine including some that were mentioned in your review.

Thank you for your review of your experience... More

"Challenging and Rewarding Work Experience at Volume 9"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Volume Nine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Volume 9 is a company that strives for excellence both internally and externally. As a smaller company it was a strength for Volume 9 to be able to react quickly to what we all see as an ever fast changing business environment (on the client/industry side).
    Volume 9 was very fair on compensation. I have never worked somewhere that gave people unexpected raises and often did salary reviews mid-year as well for hard working employees (not just annually). Volume 9 did.
    Being in the digital media space, Volume 9 was definitely more on the relaxed side in terms of office culture, but it also was a more focused place relative to what other agency people that came there would say. That was a positive for the development of the employees and the results that were delivered for clients.
    I worked their for 2 years and enjoyed every bit of it and have missed it every day for the last year + that I have been gone.

Cons

Younger employees these days don't really value staying at any one place for a long period of time, so turnover was a challenge, although pretty typical for the industry. But from what I can tell, better at Volume 9 than other shops.

Advice to Management

Continue to push for excellence. Volume 9 is one of those places that makes the employee a very desirable and talented asset for their employer because of the skill sets they develop. In business ( in general), the good ones stick around and are rewarded when both they and management align their goals. Volume 9 is no different. Just work harder to help the younger (entitled by nature) employees see the vision for the company but to also help them develop their own goals and vision and try to align that with the company as much as possible.

"Stay Away! Awful Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Volume Nine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few knowledgeable people work here that can teach you about SEO, but they are outnumbered by upper management who don't give a crap about their employees.

Cons

Stay away! I strongly recommend you do not work here or hire this company! They only specialize in SEO, they know nothing about paid search, website development, conversion marketing or any other area of online marketing...do not let them fool you! Their SEO tactics don't really work and they only give clients advice that doesn't work. They will charge an arm & a leg to implement anything that they recommend, and most employees are just making it up, they have no idea what they are talking about. They fake reporting to keep clients and are constantly laying off employees once they figure out what is happening. You can get a much better value at any other online marketing firm! They treat their employees like total crap and micro manage EVERYTHING. They will read every email you write and give you "feedback" on every sentence. They do not value free thinkers. You will only get ahead if you think exactly like the founder Chuck and screw over your customers.

Advice to Management

Value your employees! Don't just say you do and them treat them as completely disposable. They may actually have some good things to say about the company.