WHPacific Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Todd Berthelot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some of those business lines may never come back, maybe that is for the best (in 5 reviews)

• Too many changes to upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. "The people are great to work with, and I've had a chance to work on many unique projects across the country."

Current Employee - Survey Crew Chief
    Current Employee - Survey Crew Chief

I have been working at WHPacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I've worked with at every office are great. They are all dedicated to getting the work done and will go the extra mile if that's required. I haven't come across very many who are only here to draw a paycheck. New executives are implementing changes to help moving forward. I'm lucky enough to work in one of the offices that has a dedicated, hard-working director who's also a vey good manager.

Cons

After the economy fell apart, the company went through some very hard times. There were a lot of legacy people who were kept on in leadership roles who allowed the reputation of the company to fall apart. That is still affecting us in bigger markets. Many of the legacy people have not bought into new policies and its affecting the stability off the management at the office level.

Advice to Management

The directors at the local levels should communicate with each other better, and try to buy in to the new policies more. The new executives should listen to the local directors more and allow them some autonomy to adjust to changing local conditions.

2. "Pipeline Designer/Drafter"

I worked at WHPacific full-time

Pros

Individuals in office were very easy to work with.

Cons

Management and overall scope of the divisions direction was lacking

"Depends on the office, but corporate management is a disaster"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at WHPacific full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're in a good office the pros are friendly coworkers, office events and good consistent clients. If you're in an office that builds relationships with their clients, knows how to do business development and has a steady stream of clients then the office will do well and work will come in. A few offices have this down and others...not so much.

My advice to anyone who is looking to work here: Ask LOTS of questions during your interview. Don't be afraid to ask about culture, training (good luck) and benefits. If the person interviewing you can answer all of your questions honestly but positively then you're interviewing at a good office.

Some offices have great operations managers, others don't. Some have poor operations managers, but your director may be really great and have lots of business. It really depends on where you are.

Cons

Each office is like it's own company. There isn't really a good corporate feeling or a corporate standard for communicating with clients. If you manage to get yourself into an good office you will (probably) have an invested operations manager who cares about the employees and is willing to fight for you. As far as any potential director you may have, well it all depends on the department and who heads it. As people have left over the past year, those positions at the directer level are filled based on seniority rather than seeing if they're a good fit for the group. This can cause a lot of animosity and cause a lot of the younger staff to quit if they feel they aren't being mentored.

We've had several company Presidents in the last few years and our newest guy is based in Louisiana along with 90% of our new corporate staff, a place where WHPacific has never done business. There's a constant focus on NUMBERS, which is important, but isn't EVERYTHING when it comes to building a business back up. The entire thing is very cold. Anytime there is an operations meeting all the offices are on edge after everyone gets back because people are usually let go.

Even as a white male I have to say that some more diversity would be nice. Especially since we tout the fact that we are a 100% Alaska native owned firm. The leadership tab on the website is full of older white men and only 3-4 directors in the company are women, with even less being minorities.

Advice to Management

With management all the way in Louisiana, communications is KEY. They've tried all sorts of things to communicate better but with such high turnover it's impossible to do a consistent job. Any communications you do get is 'EVERYTHING IS FINE' but if you talk to the employees or look at the data everything is not fine. Honest and open communication about leadership's plans for the offices and company on how to make it better is KEY to retention.

Every office I've been to there is still an US vs THEM mentality with corporate management. "THEY'VE decided to make this change. WE aren't sure what THEIR next move is." It shouldn't feel that way. If we really are ALL WHPacific employees then there shouldn't be any talk like this. It's a big obstacle to overcome.

Also, employees don't get 401k matched until the end of the year and if you quit before that year is up then you get nothing. With one of the health plans, insurance stops the day you quit. Health and dental have gone up in price for the employee as well in the last year since our Louisiana management took over and switched our benefits.

Not a great way to show you care about your employees. In this industry you have to foster relationships with EVERYONE in AEC. If a person quits to go to another AEC company, the corporate management sees you as an immediate enemy who they can never work with again. This is NOT a realistic way to partner and win future work with people who you may not have seen the last of.

4. "None"

I have been working at WHPacific full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very knowledge and friendly staff that would give you the shirt off their back.
    Just great people in my department anyways

Cons

Budgets, budgets, Budgets. Everything revolves around the budget. Which is totally understandable and reasonable to a degree. Not when they ask you to build Rome.... In one day.....everyday.....with little to no tools....or extra bodies for help....or time.....or time.....or time, did I say time? Insane amount of pressure to get the job done in a unrealistic time frame with either limited resources or none to accomplish it

Advice to Management

You have very good people at your organization. Don't drive them away.,
    I plan on being here for a long time. Take care of us please.

5. "We've had our ups and downs."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at WHPacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are hard working and dedicated. In the past our upper management has been poor, shortsighted and petty. Last year WHP was placed under the management of a NANA sister company. The changes have been great for the most part. We also got a new Office Manager 2 years ago. Our backlog has increased and we are hiring new employees. I have been here almost 13 years and I haven't felt this good about the company in a very long time.

Cons

We lost over half the work force and several business line as well after 08. It will be a long road to build back up to where were if we ever get there. Some of those business lines may never come back, maybe that is for the best.

Advice to Management

Slow and steady wins the race. We are on the right track.

"Find the right location to work"

I have been working at WHPacific part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are some of the best people I have had the opportunity to work with. It's like a real family

Cons

Too many changes to upper management. This has caused the company to rapidly go downhill. There hasn't been a lot of work and too many lost opportunities for work.

Advice to Management

Not too much to advise on.

"Going downhill fast!"

I worked at WHPacific full-time

Pros

Good co-workers where I worked.

Cons

The company is well on it's way to the boneyard!
    Too many changes in upper management and the current management is driving it into the ground. Not a good place to work at now.

Advice to Management

It's too late for them to change change courses.

8. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at WHPacific full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are great ti work with,

Cons

Management needs to listen more to the employees

9. "A good company to work for"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at WHPacific (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of motivated professionals. One of the better benefits packages in the industry. Works to provide superior client satisfaction. Gives you opportunities to grow and challenge yourself. Very transparent company in regards to communicating with employees.

Cons

I really don't have any cons worth the mention. This company is on the right track to becoming the premier A/E firm in the west and northwest.

10. "Closing down is what I heard"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at WHPacific full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and good clients. It used to be a good company. Hope most of the good folks find a life raft. I am young so I should be fine.

Cons

New management are inexperienced and driving it into the ground.
    Closing many offices this year. Phoenix, Seattle maybe more.

Advice to Management

it is too late