KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Webcor CEO Jes Pedersen
Jes Pedersen

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Webcor and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years
    Featured Review

Growth

Jan 5, 2022 - Senior Superintendent in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been mentored, respected and provided limitless opportunities to learn & grow.

Cons

Some of our clients don’t see value, just dollar signs

2. 5.0

Great Culture

Jul 28, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Webcor has a great culture and atmosphere.

Cons

Working remotely is difficult to do depending on your role and project.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Clearly care about the wellbeing of employees

Jul 10, 2022 - Senior Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Countless benefits mostly focus on self-care and sustainable living

Cons

Just like with the vast majority of construction companies you are expected to work more than 40 hours a week

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Apprentice

Jul 19, 2022 - Apprentice Carpenter in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of random company paid lunches

Cons

Racist and only look out for there own family members, also sexist

Sr. Director, Communications

I am very grateful that you alerted us to your experience. Harassment and/or discrimination of any kind are a violation of our company policy and are not tolerated. To ensure that we are able to address employee concerns, we have an established process for reporting issues or concerns to anyone in HR, in any supervisory role, or anonymously through our ethics hotline, which is administered by an independent, outside organization. Speaking up regarding issues or concerns is a critical component of our safety culture, and we have focused on creating a psychologically safe work environment to enable our people to do so. We do not tolerate or permit retaliation of any kind aimed at employees who raise concerns. Please contact me or anyone on our management team to share your experience details. Just call our main number and ask for any of us. If you're more comfortable using our anonymous hotline, call 1-844-993-2267. But please, do respond. We cannot take action on your experience if we don't have adequate information. At a more macro level, our CEO, Jes Pedersen, affirmed his commitment to combatting racism following George Floyd's murder. You can read his commentary here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-tipping-point-jes-pedersen/ We have been working hard to follow through on Jes's commitment to providing the resources needed to effect meaningful change and for Webcor to take a stand and take action. A lot of people have been working very hard to translate that commitment into concrete actions. We are committed to hiring, developing, and retaining a diverse workforce and actively fostering an inclusive culture of collaboration, which we believe produces the deepest insights and the best ideas. We have an active DEI committee and dynamic Employee Resource Groups, including Women of Webcor, The Collective (our Black employee ERG), and Webcor Queers and Allies. Additional ERGs are in the works. Among the actions we have taken are expanding our talent search beyond traditional sources, particularly Historically Black Colleges and Universities. We are diversifying the panels conducting candidate interviews and have adopted the consistent use of behaviorally based interview guides that help maintain a level playing field for all candidates. We have also developed a bespoke training program that has earned very high marks from employees; it is just the first of several training sessions we have in the works to engrain further diversity, equity, and inclusion into our culture. This is just a brief outline of some of the highlights of our DEI efforts. Mei Lin Wolff Executive Vice President and Chief People Officer

5. 5.0

Good work environment

Jun 1, 2022 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Positive work environment and interesting projects

Cons

Long hours at times but not atypical for the industry

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not great if you’re not one of the favorites

May 27, 2022 - Assistant Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some genuinely amazing, talented, and wonderful people working there.

Cons

They definitely play favorites with people, and if you don’t get in good with those people, your career is going no where. One guy I worked with was an absolute garbage person and employee. He was reported to HR on multiple occasions and basically didn’t know how to or chose not to do his job, but he kept getting promoted. The review/promotion process is not transparent at all. Supposedly management gets together and rates everyone with a number-letter system based on technical skills and core values. This meeting is Calibration, and that really should have been my first clue about this company. At the meeting, anyone can raise an opinion about you even if they have never worked with you. I almost got put on a PIP because the guy described above said that I wasn’t good at my job even though he wasn’t my manager and had never reviewed any of my work product. For reference, I have always had glowing reviews from ever other company that I have worked at over my 15 year career. The rank from Calibration is made BEFORE you sit down with your manager to go over your self-evaluation and their thoughts on how you evaluated yourself, so basically nothing that you say in that meeting influences your raises or promotion. You are also supposed to be told what your score is, but in the three + years I worked there, I only heard of one or two people being told. I worked under three different managers and only one them seemed to show any signs of caring about me as person or wanting to help me grow in my career, but I only got to work with him for a few months before he transferred to another job.

2 people found this review helpful

Sr. Director, Communications

Thank you for your candid review. I want to make sure everyone reading this understands our performance evaluation process, which we are working hard to apply consistently across the company. It is only a few years old and, as you might imagine, it takes time to drive this kind of change through a large organization. But even with that process, our own employees have ranked us a Bay Area Best Place to Work for the last five consecutive years, which speaks volumes about our culture. You are right that "calibration" is a key part -- but not the only part -- of our performance review process. That process begins with one-on-one sessions between each employee and their immediate supervisor no less frequently than every two months. Many managers conduct these more often, ensuring employees know where they stand, what is expected of them, and what both the manager and employee need to do to ensure the employee stays on track. Because of this, employees should not be surprised by their calibration score because they have been talking about the factors that influence it all year long. The calibration process is an opportunity to solicit external feedback from key stakeholders who work with the employee. This feedback includes the employee's technical knowledge and skill level, their leadership capabilities, and discussion on next steps to continue development. One of the great benefits of the calibration process is that it ensures that we are using consistent criteria across the company to measure performance within a role. Another benefit of the process is that no evaluation of an employee is solely based on their supervisor’s assessment. Calibration scores are set based on a well-rounded view of employee performance. After calibrations are finalized, managers should be discussing the score with their employees, sharing feedback, and communicating what steps should be taken to ensure they continue to make progress and succeed. This year, individual calibration scores will be made available to each employee though our performance management system, part of our work to ensure that this information is as transparent as possible. I'm sorry your experience with some of your managers was not optimal. Many of our managers predate this process and we continue to work to bring everybody along. Part of that effort includes leadership surveys, in which employees rate their leaders on several dimensions. We work with those who fall short in any category to help them improve and score better in the future and therefore create a better employee experience. We have implemented a variety of other programs to continue to build a strong culture of management and leadership, including a newly reconfigured "Management Essentials" course that is currently being piloted. I am available if you would like to talk more about your experience. Hearing directly from employees and former employees about their experiences helps immensely in our work to make Webcor the very best place to work. Just call Webcor's main number and ask for me. Mei Lin Wolff, EVP and Chief People Officer

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Just a Number

Apr 20, 2022 - Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay , benefits, cool projects. Lots of happy hours and lunches and outside activities. Great teams if you are put on one.

Cons

First in first out when it comes to cuts. Long hours, no real balance. You either get a great team or a terrible one. All over the board. Really makes or breaks coming in everyday.

Sr. Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience at Webcor. I'm especially happy that you found our pay and benefits to be worth mentioning since we put a lot of work into offering one of the most competitive packages in the industry. I was also pleased to see that you enjoyed the extracurricular activities. Building community is important at Webcor -- Community is one of our Core Values -- and one of the ways we try to achieve this is through team-building sessions, community service, group meals and happy hours, and other activities away from employees' day-to-day work activities. I do want to address your experience with the teams you were part of. At Webcor, we assemble project teams based on the right mix of skills and experience suited to the project. The leadership of the project team is presented to the client during the project pursuit. We have a reputation for winning projects based largely on the team members we present. We are working hard to elevate the experience of every member of the team. As you may recall, Employee Experience is one of the four primary elements of our strategic plan. In addition to focusing on work-life balance, that includes continuing our work to build a culture of managing. We are working on several approaches to accomplishing this goal, from a reinvented Management Essentials class to a leadership survey that identifies areas for improvement among our project leadership teams. It is our goal to have great teams and positive experiences for every employee working on all those cool projects you referenced and for every employee to wake up every morning anxious to get to work. If there are specific experiences you would like to share with me, I encourage you to get in touch. Just call the main company number and ask for me. Again, thank you for posting your review. Jit Pahilajani Executive Vice President

8. 5.0

Awesome Company

Mar 20, 2022 - Assistant Superintendent in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome to work for. Great culture. A lot to learn. Great people.

Cons

Not many I can think of

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Short term future

Mar 14, 2022 - Vice President
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay and benefits plus gas cards.

Cons

Webcor has a horrible pattern of laying off senior level employees after reaching the age of 60+/-. They claim not to age discriminate but their track record says different.

Sr. Director, Communications

The comment left in this review claiming that Webcor's record is one of laying off senior staff is factually inaccurate. I'm speaking from personal knowledge. I was 63 when Webcor hired me in 2017. Clearly, my age was not a factor in the hiring decision. Nor was it a factor in leadership's decision to promote me at the beginning of this year, elevating me to a senior leadership role at the age of 67. It is not just me. I'm aware of at least five senior Webcorians who were hired in recent years AFTER they had reached retirement age. That's why I find the assertion made in this review so confounding. I am well aware of the pervasiveness of age discrimination, but Webcor is one company where you simply will not find it being practiced. It is not impossible that someone over 60 was terminated from Webcor but I can state unequivocally that whoever that might have been, the decision to part ways with them had nothing to do with their age. Shel Holtz, SCMP, ABC, IABC Fellow Sr. Director, Communications

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Decent Company

Feb 2, 2022 - Project Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They are a craft builder that really cares and quality and safety.

Cons

Your experience there will be highly determined by the manager you are placed under.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 153 Reviews

Webcor Reviews FAQs

Webcor has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 188 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Webcor to a friend and 62% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -12% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Webcor employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Webcor. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

81% of Webcor employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Webcor 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Webcor to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, work life balance.

Popular Careers with Webcor Job Seekers