Webgility Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Parag Mamnani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Exciting Growth, Expected Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Webgility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Webgility is currently in a stage where things are moving quickly, and the team is gaining maturity and confidence in how they work.

We have started growing our teams and hiring people to fill crucial roles, as well as strengthening our engineering and product presence in the U.S., bringing us closer to our counterparts in the India office.

Our culture has also strengthened, and the executive team understands the need to balance work and play. We have a great office, fun activities on the regular, and have recently added some ringers to our benefits packages, with more things to come.

Cons

Some of the executive staff have problems with micromanagement and we've lost some talent due to this. There is also not enough promoting from within, and not enough appreciation for the variety of jobs that people at this company often undertake.

Advice to Management

1. Micromanagement needs to end. "Managers" are just that by title - we need a real org structure that we follow. We also need our executive team to trust their team members to do the work, or communicate clearly what they need done.

2. We need to appreciate the hard work our people do more. There are people who do the jobs of several and aren't compensated appropriately - in such a competitive city and in such a competitive market, salary is going to matter.

3. We are moving in the right direction culture wise, but teams are still clique-y. This is pretty normal- when you work with people closely and see them every day, you tend to want to hang out with them moreso than the rest of your coworkers. Activities where everyone gets to mingle are good - we should do more of those.

2. "Could be better"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Webgility full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly the product sells itself, but the product could be better considering so.

Cons

The management is difficult. They don't value loyalty or hard work, but rather who's doing what att this very moment.

Advice to Management

Value consistency more than someone's current moment or day.

3. "Treat your employees better"

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Webgility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Software that works. Great customer service and support locally and remote.

Cons

Tough Sales Environment. Calls are recorded, also actively monitored. Insults are lobbied at you for the smallest things. Not a level playing field, favoritism towards certain individuals. I was there for less than a year and 75% of people on the team were gone. High Pressure to close deals, you are pressured to close deals at all costs. Need time off to address family issues, you get pushed out the door instead.

Advice to Management

Not sure why the CEO has the strong belief that he is superior than everyone. No matter how hard you try or how well you perform. No one is at his level. It seems like the CEO enjoys putting people down. It might be a good idea to stop doing that and to treat people better.

"Maturing Organization | Bootstrapped -> Funded"

I have been working at Webgility full-time

Pros

#1 - Our curious and ambitious team members. Beyond their collective effort and desire to win, everyone is caring, honest and helpful to one another. It's a rare combination, but this team handily pulls it off. Nice to contribute at a place riddled with people you want to be around.

#2 - Palpable growth at every facet of the organization. All departments are diligently solving growth puzzles independently and cross-functionally. Thier's room to fail fast, course correct, trade high-fives and move on to the next challenge.

#3 - Our opportunity to seize the market is at hand and the team gets it. E-commerce is here to stay and Webgility's target audience NEEDS the product. This combination doesn't present itself every day.

Cons

#1 - Approaching the tail end of an organizational cultural shift. We've been growing up quickly in 2017 and tenured team members may have felt it. Those curious about our next stage were patient and discovered how they can contribute in our maturing organization. Unfortunately, not everyone was patient or prepared to adjust and lost some talent in the name of growth :-(

#2 - Choppy office experience. 2017 began in a stodgy small office -> extended temp office situation -> Great new digs with a view of the bay, standing desks everywhere, Macbook upgrades and much-needed common areas.

#3 - Benefits exemplify bootstrapped not funded. We've been told it's in the works, exciting!

Advice to Management

The recent Executives shifts are translating into action items. We trust the decisions, obviously, they're working. Noticed recently the lines of communication opening up explaining why we're doing things, this helps us understand and effectively get things done. Thank you!

Don't forget to celebrate the wins along the way...

5. "Great Company to work for !"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Webgility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team! The entire staff is super nice and helpful. The product is awesome and unique in its kind in the industry. Lots of potentials to grow.
    Management is professional, straightforward and supportive!

Cons

Do your job and you'll have an awesome time doing it!

Advice to Management

New hires onboarding process should be more organized.

"Know what you are getting into"

I worked at Webgility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Webgility is a great place to work at if you just need to collect a pay check. While I was there I received very broad and vague instructions from my direct report. The company is professional. The office is close to BART and Cal Train.

Cons

There are NO managers, just C-Level people and individual contributors. Many new hires are unsure what they should be doing day-to-day. They have put a ton of effort into their sales and marketing teams and almost nothing into the product team. Most employees are in an off shore office (India) and the ones in the US office are VERY cliquey.

Advice to Management

If you spend time and money hiring people you should invest in training them. If someone is not sure if they are doing their job correctly, they should not feel like they have to hide and fake it.

7. "Team gets it"

I have been working at Webgility full-time

Pros

Product focused, Expanded / experienced management team, Very attractive market opportunity, Enjoyable work culture, Great office environment

Cons

More challenges than cons. Product is still evolving to best align to market, Business infrastructure is still maturing, Need to move fast to stay ahead of competition, Need to keep focusing on hiring A level staff

Advice to Management

Every day is important, accelerate, accelerate, accelerate

"Going places"

I have been working at Webgility full-time

Pros

Great piece of software in the ever-expanding ecommerce space.

Cons

I wish the company was more aggressive in expanding its functionalities.

"Marketing Manager"

I worked at Webgility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small office so everyone is in one area. There are sometimes team games and sometimes snacks in the kitchen.

Cons

There isnt much culture. People tend to stick to work but do not connect outside of work. Everyone works within their own departments. I do not see much room for growth or opportunity to explore interests. There are no outside events that bring the work place together or workshops that can appeal to the workplace. There are no perks to the work place its just one floor and not much else to do. A lot of these reviews must be fake that have such a high rating and if you dont believe it come onsite.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the needs of your employees in the workplace.

Webgility Response

Aug 24, 2017 – Senior Manager, Content Marketing

We're so sad to see this review, which clearly represents a time period of great growth and transition for Webgility (R.I.P. summer 2017). Maintaining 100% cohesiveness as we've doubled our space... More

"Overworked and Underpaid with No Room for Growth"

I worked at Webgility full-time

Pros

A great learning experience and resume builder. If you're looking to get into e-commerce or SaaS, this is a decent place to start. They are smack dab in the middle of the industry with much opportunity to work with other companies, and make useful connections for your next venture. You may also get the opportunity to get hands on experience with programs like Salesforce and Zendesk depending on your position. Though don't expect any training, you're on your own there!

Cons

Where to start?! There are no special perks. Don't expect free lunch, free insurance benefits, or free commuter benefits like many of the other tech companies in the area. The pay is below standard, and if you are an intelligent hard working person, you will be expected to do much more work, with no extra reward except for blame when things don't go as planned. There is very little positivity or celebrating of success. When things do go well, the goal is immediately raised, making it more difficult to achieve, and sweeping your previous success under the rug, as it is no longer considered good enough, There is little to no job or product training, which should be imperative in this type of business with a complex and ever evolving product. Very few people who work here actually understand how to use the software, and what it is that the customer wants. And so those employees end up doing everyone else's job for them, with no recognition for their efforts. Lastly, there is little to no room for growth. Most people who are promoted either get fired, demoted, asked to resign, or end up quitting due to unrealistic expectations and unending stress. I'm here to tell you that work life does NOT have to be this way. There are tons of companies in the area that are running their business smartly, and treating their employees right.

Advice to Management

Upper management is definitely what is wrong with this company. They are missing out on what their employees and their customers want and need to be happy and successful. It's really a shame, because there is much potential for success that they are blind to because of their greed and ignorance. At the very least, they should properly train their employees, be clear about what is expected of them, and don't change that expectation based on how much extra money is needed that particular month. There is a difference between challenging and motivating your employees, and unwarranted bar raising that's based on reactionary decision making. Their ability to see the big picture is overshadowed by the need to go as fast as possible, by whatever means are immediately available. When you cut corners, you miss the right path, and will never end up where you want to be.

Webgility Response

Jun 23, 2017 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for this thoughtful review, it has been shared and discussed with upper management. While our aggressive revenue goals will continue to grow, we are commited to giving respectful... More