Weedmaps Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Stealth Unicorn"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* People here are on a mission
    * Supportive, collaborative culture
    * Fun to be in a business that's growing exponentially
    * Chance to really make an impact

Cons

* Irvine can feel a bit sterile
    * Lots of growth means = legacy systems can slow us down

2. "Dynamic tech company going through tons of change"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Serious tech company in SoCal (beyond rare)
    - Really strong talent and colleagues
    - Great package and benefits
    - Fascinating industry and challenges to solve

Cons

- Fast growing means lots of change, not always easy
    - Company could use some more processes and structure
    - Understaffed in some areas

Advice to Management

Please keep staying on the course that we are on. I've seen how the company has changed and it is for the better. Lots of people are going to be upset because things aren't staying the same but we're in such an exciting place and that's due to the decisions being made. And I never mean to speak poorly of anyone but there are many people on the way out (who are likely complaining here on this site) who are just upset because of the changes. It's understandable but it's not right. They aren't thinking of the company, only themselves. The majority of us are so excited to see where we go next!

3. "Good and getting better every day."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like going to work. In the time that I have been here, every thing that could be improved on has been improved on: internal communication, planning, system level design, code quality, infrastructure, management skills, and a lot more. Each month, the company runs better than the one before it. Also, it's really cool to build products that I know people are using.

The company has really stepped up its game, pushing to be a leader in engineering in a way that previous companies I have worked at claimed they were going to, but never put the resources towards. For example, they support lunch and learns, 10% time, engineering blogging, chapter-wide discussion about engineering practices, and even hired an Elixir core team member full time to support us and to give back to one of the languages that we use every day.

Cons

The company is growing up, and while it is heading in the right direction, that can mean changes fairly regularly. So, there can be some inconsistencies over the long run in what my day to day looks like. Additionally, I know I am helping build some really cool stuff, but I don't own any of it. The pay is good and the challenges are really interesting, so it could be worse.

Advice to Management

Start moving on making employee ownership opportunities possible. If not for everyone, for those who go above and beyond. Keep pushing to develop the technical career path beyond senior engineer.

4. "Good technical team but terrible management"

I worked at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

Some great people in the development organization. You can smoke treats in the office when you want. Catered lunch.

Cons

Benefits are very mediocre if you don't smoke marijuana. 401k matching is laughable, no employee stock or bonus compensation.
    First week I was there an entire team was fired because the CEO wanted to shake things up. This happened again a few months later within the tech organization. Everyone works out of fear. HR accidentally hired a guy who was a raving lunatic because they didn't read an email and bother to check with the hiring team. The tech organization was without a CTO for months, and when they finally found someone he was let go two weeks later as he was found out to be working another CTO job at the same time. So many mistakes, it's laughable.

Advice to Management

Stop managing out of paranoia; this is a software company not an illegal grow op. Or, just quit and hire someone who knows what they are doing.

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

Industry is great
    People are great
    Benefits are outstanding

Cons

Legal status of the industry makes everything interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep maturing

"Avoid this Company at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

No Pros. Negative overall rating. Negative 5 star rating for Career and compensation. Executive management unable to think beyond themselves, filling their bank balance etc.

Cons

1) Nepotism at it's best. If you know folks at the Company, they will skip interview and offer job directly. The rest have to bite their tongue and suffer these idiots.
    2) No diversity.
    3) Insipid, inexperienced, lack-luster CEO with ZERO dynamism, charisma, impressiveness, people or leadership skills.
    4) Executive Management team's Only job is to find faults for silliest reasons and fire people. Product is best example for this. There are more ex-employees on the street than employed at Weedmaps. Seems they rewards VPs on target of how many people demotivated, written up and chased out weekly.

Advice to Management

1. Sell Company to someone who does not make a mess/mockery of it.
    2. New CEO sorely needed.
    3. Get rid of All (but Engineering) Executive Management.
    4. Write a thesis on 'Art of Mismanagement' and a book 'Obsessed with Firing employees' as you undoubtedly Excel in it.

"HIGHLY recommend to your enemies"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

running water
    internet (sometimes)
    food
    parking
    smoke weed on the clock
    wear sweats if you want
    year-round sub-zero A/C
    located in the Mecca of corporate buildings (Irvine)

Cons

colossal incompetence at executive level
    scattered priorities that go unchecked
    nepotism ushers in unqualified leadership
    mishandled information that leads to conflict
    lack of transparency breeds anxious culture
    crippling sense of organization and function
    company culture reflects a penitentiary

Advice to Management

Take a step back, look at the mess you have created and start extinguishing the fires by hiring leadership consultants. people wont stomach your dishonesty and spineless posturing for long. Second, reevaluate the business model — it’s a sinking ship and the core competencies are 10 years behind. Third, be realistic. You’re never going to be an authority in the industry when you have no desire to truly understand your users and community. finally, put on some cargo shorts and take a hike up the mountain of humility.

"Probably not the ‘cool experience’ you are expecting"

I worked at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

Free food and drinks and good benefits

Cons

Rampant cronyism, unfriendly environment, no sense of team. Most unprofessional company I have worked for.

"Family politics overides personal performance"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Weedmaps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very few, it turns out the Weedmaps kills your resume

Cons

Worked like slave, constantly pressured to smoke marijuana at work

Advice to Management

GROW UP

"Amazing Place and Amazing People"

Former Employee - Operations Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Weedmaps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Environment is amazing
    Management is on point
    Executive staff is top notch

I enjoyed my time at Weedmaps simply because they taught me a lot about startups. When it comes to
    Building a brand, these guys have really done a great job. A lot of people hate but simply because they don’t understand the inner workings and what the company represents. In short, they believe in freedoms and fight for the rights of every consumer that believes cannabis is either good for them medically, or they believe in the culture it represents. Those of you who think they funded a recreational market for personal gain, are dead wrong. Weedmaps put in over a million dollars and advocated for every small business owner to have the right to start a business in this industry, large or small. At the end of the day though, there are other powers that had more money who lobbied more then Weedmaps resulting in the regulations being more strict then what they wanted. However, others say they are the reason the regulations are so strict and that’s simply not the truth. I know this first hand.... nothing bad to say other then they should focus more on the medical market to help patients across the globe.

Cons

It is a cannabis company, so it’s hard to be accepted in the mainstream. But, if you like the industry, you can’t find a better place to work.

Advice to Management

More continued training for new employees about the industry in general.