Cover image for Weedmaps

39% Recommend to a Friend
39% Approve of CEO

Found 205 of over 221 reviews

2.9
Weedmaps CEO Chris Beals (no image)
Chris Beals

77 Comments

Tech

564.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Weedmaps~1013617
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Weedmaps? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Weedmaps employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Incompetent leadership (constantly changing processes/priorities, failed reorgs, no empathy)(in 19 reviews)
  • "Bad management(in 14 reviews)
  • "There has been no raise and no bonus in this very profitable company in the fastest growing industry.(in 5 reviews)
  • "functional team in a functional team environment(in 4 reviews)
  • "The CEO is absolutely naive and does not posses any of the skills of a true leader(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Nov 18, 2022 - Customer Success
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome environment Great leadership Top notch benefits

Cons

Not much that I can think of

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Higher level management was just.... trash

Dec 27, 2022 - Client Success Representative in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Snack Boxes (discontinued at the start of 2022) *Re-Up Fridays (Free Friday a month or you can float it if you volunteer to work that day) *Occasional Swag *(some) Cool Employees *Office Stipend *Amazing Benefits - and I mean it I was fortunate enough to have worked under amazing direct managers who worked closely in supporting me with training, strategy, and resources and were also our voice to the next tier of management when trending issues would occur. I loved my POD. I loved many of the employees - even ones that I communicated with on a minimal level - (mostly) everyone was cool.

Cons

The quarterly targets were not assessed properly - one target in particular really just didn't make sense for growth/core markets. The environment became very hostile at one point - Managers had their managers and their managers breathing down each other's necks - in turn, we're getting a lot of micromanagement-like conversations. Too many book changes and partner changes - too many egos - too many internal meetings. Too many resources in different places - nothing was centralized. The burnout was real.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Weedmaps team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0

Do not work here.

Jan 12, 2023 - Support Worker
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Good benefits -Re-up friday. -Individual contributors are wonderful people.

Cons

-Constant leadership turnover. Many leaders in a year. One of the leaders had no leadership experience and left. One of the leaders had borderline sociopathic levels of empathy for their reports and is still there micromanaging and being an overall menace to their reports. -Company is not trustworthy. Read SEC filings. They inflated MAU numbers with pop under ads. Company then uses these pop under ads numbers to drive prices from dispensaries for predatory business model. Business model depends on pitting dispensaries against each other to drive up advertising costs. As you can imagine, they love working with us. -Company is not good for cannabis. Distrust any social justice aspects of the company- they will do anything for the money and commitment of MSOs and MSOs are who are lobbying state governments to keep minority and other small owned business out of the picture in cannabis. -Company moves excruciatingly slow. Barely automate processes. Lots of manual data entry. -Company is not a tech company, but an advertising company that exists solely from premium advertising sales.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Exhaustion outweighed reward

Dec 28, 2022 - Client Partner in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cannabis is a very interesting industry to be a part of. Tons of room for creativity and things are constantly changing so I was never board.

Cons

Way too much self tracking on day to day activities. Very little creative support from management who was largely coming from outside of the industry. Male dominated, but this is more of an industry issue High stress and long hours

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0

A nightmare and a half

Nov 25, 2022 - Client Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

-One Friday off per month -Laid back environment (can consume during work) - work from home

Cons

Where do I begin, this company has been a nightmare from the start. I had to go through the most rigorous interview process to get hired in. They want the best of the best. After getting hired in 2 years ago, training was non-existent. Spent months asking for help from absent managers. Every quarter I told myself things would get better and it never did. Incompetent, ego driven managers in a male dominated company. Cringey, uncomfortable weekly all-hands meetings with leadership saying tone deaf things that’s offensive to all IC workers. Unrealistic KPIs. Fluffing of opportunity creation for “transparent sales pipeline” as goals. Pointless projects that are always not completed. Sales contests that never made any sense to anyone. Unorganized processes. The worst operational team in the history of companies. If a company could be a poser, it would be weedmaps. You think it’s going to be chill and awesome but you’ll realize a bunch of narcissistic dweebs who have never touched weed in their lives treating everyone less than human and doesn’t care about the industry and culture of cannabis are leading. If you find yourself excelling at Weedmaps, chances are you’re too good for this place. New CEO Doug Francis doesn’t know what he’s doing.

10 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Technically a Job

Dec 27, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Decent benefits - No one asks about the hours I clock, I just get my stuff done - the list of things I need to do could be a mile long or a single thing to check. changes day-to-day - my direct management has been fantastic and I feel confident in those close to me

Cons

- Lots of c-level thrash - still unclear business goals - not sure what we're doing with random business acquisitions

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Run, like the building's on fire!!!

Nov 30, 2022 - Sales Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

good base salary made great friends

Cons

Where do I start? I guess at the top. Management is horrible. Underqualified leaders who's only concern is the bottom line. Sell, even if they can't afford. Upsell when they want to cancel. Promises we were told to make to clients we weren't able to keep. Horrific lack of communication. No room for growth. Little to no training or assistance. No concern for the well being of their clients or employees. Unlimited PTO but not able to take time off due to over inflated / unattainable goals. Huge shows of favoritism. HR is not on your side! Many friends who wanted me to submit their applications and I would absolutely NEVER submit or refer them. Hands down, the most unprofessional company I've ever worked for.

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Nosediving

Sep 30, 2022 - Assistant Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The environment is laid back.

Cons

Non existent product roadmap. Leadership is grasping at straws. Every year there are layoffs to cover up past failures and reorganization efforts that only make things worse. No stability. No career growth - Bogus titles and promotions don’t equate growth. Every failure results in a reorganization. This has happened annually. The last time it was blamed on recession|covid|gasprices. Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. This fosters a confused and anxious atmosphere. Sales is constantly gaslighted when customers don’t/can’t pay their bills. Weedmaps is the first thing cut from their budget. Engineering gets weeks at most to work on any project, and it shows by the /lack of/ attention to detail. This results in massive tech debt that is getting perpetually worse each iteration. There have been few impactful changes recently other than search, which barely works today. The rollout of the employee stock options has been embarrassing, but that blame is on others as usual. “this is the best we get” or “nobody in finance wants to work with the cannabis sector”. This stock offerings are lacking compared to what’s offered by FAANG *If you’re around long enough to see them vest. Employer provided hardware comes preloaded with spyware to keep tabs on your productivity. It’s constantly locking people out of their work and grinding their system to a halt.

12 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Leadership is was over ambitious to please shareholders and current leadership is shortsighted.

Jan 4, 2023 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There were amazing people across all departments. There wasn't really an "office jerk" like usual.

Cons

Company never should have went public. They overextended themselves to try vertical growth to compete and show growth. Problem is they aren't making enough money to justify all that growth. Just poorly run and not ready for the big time.

5 people found this review helpful
  11. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company culture is awesome, leadership is not.

Oct 30, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Company is empathetic towards it's employee's lives - Good WLB - Extra days off - Caring culture - Good benefits

Cons

- Upper management pivots direction constantly - Reorgs every 6 months (disruptive) - RIFs - Some middle management doesn't actively look out for the needs of engineers

5 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 205 Reviews
</>Embed

Weedmaps Reviews FAQs

Weedmaps has an overall rating of 2.9 out of 5, based on over 221 reviews left anonymously by employees. 39% of employees would recommend working at Weedmaps to a friend and 33% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Weedmaps employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Weedmaps. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.

39% of Weedmaps employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Weedmaps 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Weedmaps to be workplace, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be career development, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Weedmaps Job Seekers