Weedmaps Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Stealth Unicorn"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* People here are on a mission
    * Supportive, collaborative culture
    * Fun to be in a business that's growing exponentially
    * Chance to really make an impact

Cons

* Irvine can feel a bit sterile
    * Lots of growth means = legacy systems can slow us down

2. "Found my Tribe -After embarking on a journey to find a Tech role in SoCal after relocating from the Bay in NorCal"

Current Employee - People Team in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Culturally conscious of all walks of life - the most diverse team and company I have ever worked with
    -Pioneering the Cannabis Tech Space -pushing the ball forward not just in the US market but globally
    -An abundance of career progression opportunities - having fun with a great team while tackling complicated challenges
    -The benefits package, team outings, off-sites, company event's and many more additional perks

Cons

We are currently scaling and team's are growing. Have to be agile and ready to take on additional responsibility when the team needs it. In the fun and challenging growth stage of a rapidly growing tech company.

3. "Building something bigger"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I turned down an offer and relocated my family to join Weedmaps. I confidently say I made the right choice. We are fast-paced, collaborative and innovative. I am being challenged and learning from incredibly smart people. I have the autonomy and freedom to try and express new ideas. You can actually feel your impact within the first month you are here. Everyone is genuinely driven by the mission and the opportunity to navigate this booming space.

Cons

With the industry changing rapidly and us growing significantly, it is almost hard to keep up. There are times we try to bite off more than we can chew. It is great to see we are hiring leaders to help prioritize and execute with quality.

Advice to Management

Keep the high bar with caliber of talent we are bringing in.

4. "Hypergrowth startup with great new and existing talent"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to make an impact. If you're itching to apply your knowledge and experience, this is the place to be. The direction and focus is all about scalability. How awesome is it to be part of an org that is dominant in it's industry? We're barely scratching the surface!

Cons

Given we're fully dependent on the government's decision making, we cannot scale as fast as we want. We're trying to solve for issues much larger than Weedmaps, which is a lot of pressure. So ignore the outside noise/growing pains and focus on what's important. Unicorn style.

5. "Dream Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate and motivated people. I have the opportunity to work alongside some of the most driven and talented people, and they truly enjoy working here.

Cons

We are fast-paced and that can be difficult for some, but that is where I thrive.

Advice to Management

Just more communication

6. "Photographer"

Current Employee - Photographer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Photographer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours.

Cons

No benefits, or 401k, etc.

"Good technical team but terrible management"

I worked at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

Some great people in the development organization. You can smoke treats in the office when you want. Catered lunch.

Cons

Benefits are very mediocre if you don't smoke marijuana. 401k matching is laughable, no employee stock or bonus compensation.
    First week I was there an entire team was fired because the CEO wanted to shake things up. This happened again a few months later within the tech organization. Everyone works out of fear. HR accidentally hired a guy who was a raving lunatic because they didn't read an email and bother to check with the hiring team. The tech organization was without a CTO for months, and when they finally found someone he was let go two weeks later as he was found out to be working another CTO job at the same time. So many mistakes, it's laughable.

Advice to Management

Stop managing out of paranoia; this is a software company not an illegal grow op. Or, just quit and hire someone who knows what they are doing.

"Ever Heard of the Titanic?"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

Pros

There’s not one good thing to say about this company.

Cons

Executives are socially inept noodles
    Leadership operates out of fear
    State of California is onto their illegal activity
    Legal and Compliance team do nothing at all to remain compliant with State of California
    Company culture is like a German hospital
    CMO is a robot from the past (sadly)

Advice to Management

Secure your life raft fast and get out before you’re in over your heads. You’ve successfully failed at leading a company forward. The water’s cold! Good luck!

"Good and getting better every day."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like going to work. In the time that I have been here, every thing that could be improved on has been improved on: internal communication, planning, system level design, code quality, infrastructure, management skills, and a lot more. Each month, the company runs better than the one before it. Also, it's really cool to build products that I know people are using.

The company has really stepped up its game, pushing to be a leader in engineering in a way that previous companies I have worked at claimed they were going to, but never put the resources towards. For example, they support lunch and learns, 10% time, engineering blogging, chapter-wide discussion about engineering practices, and even hired an Elixir core team member full time to support us and to give back to one of the languages that we use every day.

Cons

The company is growing up, and while it is heading in the right direction, that can mean changes fairly regularly. So, there can be some inconsistencies over the long run in what my day to day looks like. Additionally, I know I am helping build some really cool stuff, but I don't own any of it. The pay is good and the challenges are really interesting, so it could be worse.

Advice to Management

Start moving on making employee ownership opportunities possible. If not for everyone, for those who go above and beyond. Keep pushing to develop the technical career path beyond senior engineer.

"You missed it, good days are very much behind WM (mass exodus in 2018)."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Weedmaps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well, many departments let you smoke at the office.

Cons

With very few exceptions, management and execs don't communicate their goals well or understand what it takes to accomplish them. As a result, every meeting seems exactly like the one before it, nothing really gets accomplished. Say goodbye to work/life balance, expect to stay 11+ hours at the office and work some weekends because your boss cant figure out his/her job.

Advice to Management

You've ignored your core demographic in trade for another more mainstream demo that doesn't really exist. Hire more managers/execs with a connection to the industry, high paid outsiders are ill equipped because their legitimate experience doesn't translate here.