Weedmaps Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Doug Francis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "This is a 100% technology based product without a CTO" (in 2 reviews)

• "There has been no raise and no bonus in this very profitable company in the fastest growing industry" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Review of Weedmaps.com"

Current Employee - Software Guru in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Guru in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps (Less than a year)

Pros

Good management, Flexible hours, Culture is probably tops in Irvine on Irvine Company property surprisingly. Gym. Outside rest/relaxation areas. Near Irvine Spectrum entertainment center. Free fancy catered top-drawer Lunches in-house M-F, Medical currently free (huge park) first time I've seen in Irvine, advanced technology all over the place (Apple, AWS, bleeding edge DevOps), great talkative Developers holding lots of presentations with their product and QA managers. Many activities for drawings and winnings. Roth 401k. Cigna insurance. Company on parabolic curve. Self-funded. Riding the wave of the Cannabis revolution. You don't need to be a toker to work here. The birth of a new industry is all that the new employee fundamentally needs to appreciate and the desire to profit from it.

Cons

Non-IPO'd, no RSU, no options/bonus, etc. Just straight-line super-solid salaries with great medical and strong culture (typically anything in the room can be branded due to the Cannabis connection so sky's the limit.)

Advice to Management

You own the space currently for the most part and have done well for yourself and your employees and should be proud though it's been a long haul. Aim for an IPO in 4 years which has a strong ownership for all employees. Aim for removal of Cannabis as a Federal Schedule I substance.

"Operations"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

Perks, benefits, and office were great

Cons

Upper management is a mess and they do not care for their employees

"Not one redeeming quality"

I worked at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are none. Please stay away if you care about yourself

Cons

One of the worst companies I have worked at. Management, especially product has zero clue about how to build and launch anything. They squabble about internally and never launch anything substantial. Just take a look at how their application looks. This place will fall under it's own weight. The CEO is actually not bad and geniunely seems to care. It's the Csuite below him that is extremely unethical.

Advice to Management

None. Just keep doing what you are doing and weedmaps won't be around in a few years from now.

"Don't do it. Avoid this place like the plague. Most of the positive reviews are staged by the hiring team."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

There isn't any. Management has made this a toxic fearful environment. No even Ghost Train Haze can survive this buzz kill.

Cons

- Toxic Leadership
    - Lack of company direction
    - CMO can't differentiate retail from brand communication and makes decisions based on fear rather than what's right.

Advice to Management

Remove the CMO and get someone that not only understands the consumer, but speaks their language. #NoKnuckleheads

5. "Great place to work"

Pros

Surrounded by smart and skilled people

Cons

Regular pains of growing industry

"Unethnical Leadership"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

- Some great colleagues
    - Paycheck always clears

Cons

- No growth potential
    - No bonus plans
    - Toxic Leadership
    - Questionable business practices
    - Lack of company direction

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like cattle

7. "Found my Tribe -After embarking on a journey to find a Tech role in SoCal after relocating from the Bay in NorCal"

Current Employee - People Team in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - People Team in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Culturally conscious of all walks of life - the most diverse team and company I have ever worked with
    -Pioneering the Cannabis Tech Space -pushing the ball forward not just in the US market but globally
    -An abundance of career progression opportunities - having fun with a great team while tackling complicated challenges
    -The benefits package, team outings, off-sites, company event's and many more additional perks

Cons

We are currently scaling and team's are growing. Have to be agile and ready to take on additional responsibility when the team needs it. In the fun and challenging growth stage of a rapidly growing tech company.

8. "Building something bigger"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I turned down an offer and relocated my family to join Weedmaps. I confidently say I made the right choice. We are fast-paced, collaborative and innovative. I am being challenged and learning from incredibly smart people. I have the autonomy and freedom to try and express new ideas. You can actually feel your impact within the first month you are here. Everyone is genuinely driven by the mission and the opportunity to navigate this booming space.

Cons

With the industry changing rapidly and us growing significantly, it is almost hard to keep up. There are times we try to bite off more than we can chew. It is great to see we are hiring leaders to help prioritize and execute with quality.

Advice to Management

Keep the high bar with caliber of talent we are bringing in.

9. "Hypergrowth startup with great new and existing talent"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to make an impact. If you're itching to apply your knowledge and experience, this is the place to be. The direction and focus is all about scalability. How awesome is it to be part of an org that is dominant in it's industry? We're barely scratching the surface!

Cons

Given we're fully dependent on the government's decision making, we cannot scale as fast as we want. We're trying to solve for issues much larger than Weedmaps, which is a lot of pressure. So ignore the outside noise/growing pains and focus on what's important. Unicorn style.

10. "Dream Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate and motivated people. I have the opportunity to work alongside some of the most driven and talented people, and they truly enjoy working here.

Cons

We are fast-paced and that can be difficult for some, but that is where I thrive.

Advice to Management

Just more communication