Weedmaps Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Stealth Unicorn"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* People here are on a mission
    * Supportive, collaborative culture
    * Fun to be in a business that's growing exponentially
    * Chance to really make an impact

Cons

* Irvine can feel a bit sterile
    * Lots of growth means = legacy systems can slow us down

2. "Best Job I ever had"

Former Employee - Media Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Media Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Weedmaps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a fun laid back atmosphere. It promotes creativity and hard work. Imagine Apple meets GoPro meets Cannabis. This company has only just begun to make a permanent mark on popular culture and I guarantee will be on a list some day of best places to work. By far the best job I ever had.

Cons

Because they promote from within and in courage people to aim for the next step there is a bit of competition for roles and positions that may come off as a bit stressful, but if you work hard you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! And don't forget about the little guy!

3. "hotbed for learning, sink or swim kind of place"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool tech, Fun people, Good vision

Cons

they dont pre plan too much, so employees are left figuring ish out

Advice to Management

slow down and gather some requirements

4. "Massive Growth"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weedmaps is growing insanely fast, which makes it super interesting to be a part of as a software engineer. There are so many problems to solve and processes to improve. We get to work the lastest tech and make a ton of individual contributions. Also, there are a lot of smart people to learn from.

Cons

Currently undergoing massive growth, which makes things chaotic sometimes, but worth it

Advice to Management

Drive us to greatness and we will be the first MJ unicorn and beyond

"GREAT place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of places have their happy happy joy joy "corporate values" that is on the HR site and/or posted in the break room. Here, they actually DO it. While not unheard of but not that common, we have a catered lunch provided EVERY day and there are lots of snacks and a wide variety of drinks always available. The benefits are great and very low cost. Even special "events" such as (at the time of this writing) the kick off to Movember: They brought in a very well known barber shop, had a full on barber shop with chairs and the rest set up and had the full-on hot towel on the face straight razor shaves to get us started off clean and smooth into the month of moustache growing. That'll have been significant effort AND cost to do but it got people stoked and boosted the overall morale here.

I noticed, even immediately after starting work here, that on any given day a low estimate of how many people are wearing corporate swag was about 1/3 of the population. In every other place I’ve worked, the people actually wearing corporate swag to the office were either those that had to wear corporate branding or happened to be the type of individual one would rather poke away with a sharp stick. Here, it is obvious that people at minimum like and more likely are proud to work here and happy to advertise that fact. To my mind, this is one of the most obvious barometers of employee morale.

For all that the average human here is rather more relaxed and freewheeling than found in typical corporate America, I can, without reservation say that I have never worked with a finer group of people. The bobbles and foibles of any company notwithstanding, which we do have, everyone I have met and/or work with here is a consummate professional who are very good at what they do and are serious about it without taking themselves too seriously. Moreover, beyond the high caliber of professional stature, I consistently find kind, considerate, and interesting people to talk and work with who are just very pleasant to be around.

Here's a shocker for a corporate population: They say "thank you". I am paid to do what I was hired for and in every other place I’ve worked, the implicit attitude is “be grateful you have your job”. I would work hard at what I do because I am paid to do it and I happen to be one of those lucky enough to enjoy the work he does. But… “thank you”???? And they mean it???? What a pleasant and, sadly, an increasingly unusual thing to hear.

I suspect the other negative reviews came from those not in their careers long to compare this place to and realize it's pretty great or not good enough at what they do to survive in a fast moving, fast changing environment.

I’ve had many jobs in which I was happy was proud of the work I did and enjoyed doing it. Here, I am proud, not only of the work I do, but also I am very proud of the company I work for. After all these years in the corporate world… this is a new thing for me.

Cons

For my part, there really AREN'T any real "cons" to working here. As the transition to a larger company evolves, there WILL be changing priorities, bootleg turns, and all other types of hubbub that can occur. Some may find that to be a con and want the plodding, inflexible, highly controlled, and drab type of work life. Many do and they should probably go work for a defence contractor where fun and spontaneity seem to be against corporate policies.

However, for this reviewer, this is actually a plus and it keeps one's creative imagination and knowledge sharp. I have learned more and stretched my legs more than anywhere previous and, as a result, have done some of my finest work here.

Advice to Management

There is something rare and precious at Weedmaps; it must be preserved. We're ALREADY the "after" picture from an HR/management training film. We will ALL ( both you and me) have the work in each of our roles cut out to keep the best parts of this culture here as we become larger and more mature. To my mind, more mature doesn't need to equate to the "cranky old man".

"Decent place to start, don't suggest staying too long!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits - health, 401k, snacks, lunches, etc
    Great people - some of the smartest and talented I've worked with
    Culture is held together by a shared love of the industry
    Lots of technologies to play with, some old and some shiny news ones
    Leader in our market space
    Real potential to be a great company

Cons

Large amount of turnover, from Exec level all the way down. Have watched several teams get wiped out. Job security here in general is very low.
    New leadership in a cycle of about every 6-8months. Always trying to change without giving time for those changes to take hold.
    Newest COO and CPO (there is not CTO...) do not engage or talk to the normal employees. They push down their changes through the VP's forcefully which in turn has created some morale issues recently.
    Annual raises, bonuses, or advancement do not exist. You may get a review but nothing will come from it. Make sure to get your starting salary large enough to cover your time here.
    Leadership is lacking in experience, motivation, and direction which flows down hill into the teams.
    Lack of unity amongst the teams towards a common goal.
    As a normal employee your voice will most likely not be heard.

Advice to Management

Change takes time, it can be painful and slow but requires time to show it's merits. Your employees are your product and instilling fear is no way to promote motivation. Spend some time fixing the leadership models so you can tackle the morale issues and inspire everyone to move forward in order to reach your goals.

"The worst company I've ever been with"

I worked at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

Your coworkers you work with

Cons

Where to start? Management is a joke, projects that make no sense, ridiculous hours, extremely high turn over, piling more work onto employees with no room for advancement or pay. You get sold the dream in the interview but after being there you really see the true colors of the company.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans, not just a number.

"Stay as far away as possible"

I have been working at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

- Some good teammates
    - Occasional interesting things to work on
    - 401k match (but no company stock incentives/ownership options)

Cons

- Executives that only care about $, but won't tell you how much money the company makes during the few all hands they hold because you can't be trusted
    - Mistrust is rampant and throwing people under the bus is a common practice.
    - Management is worried about losing their own jobs more than taking care of their employees and treating them right.
    - Developers are treated as a "resource" that costs the company money.
    - Be ready to be low man on the totem pole no matter how good the work is that you do: seniority rules
    - This is a 100% technology based product without a CTO.
    - Ideas/new features come only from product teams with deadlines not attached to actual estimates.

Advice to Management

Your product IS your people; treating them like expendable chess pieces is not conducive to a positive culture. Treat your employees with kindness, decency, and respect and you will be amazed at how much more productive your employees are.

And hire a CTO already!!

"Creative Project Manager / Marketing Manager"

I worked at Weedmaps full-time

Pros

Lots of money if you know the game and have Proper connections.
    You will make the same in 3 months that you would in a year elsewhere. You'll be terminated after 89 days though.

Cons

Being cool pays. It's a private company. Sycophancy is required.

You get out of this job what you put into it. You will not stick, so get as much out of this job as it does out of you.

Advice to Management

You're bleeding money without a quantifiable ROI. Brands lost. Good luck, all the best.

"Finance & Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounting & Finance in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting & Finance in Irvine, CA

I worked at Weedmaps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, good environment, and emerging industry

Cons

I can't think of anything bad to say about them