WesTech Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Applications Engineer"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer

I have been working at WesTech Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family friendly and goal of 40 hour max weeks

Cons

Inconsistent policies and fast growth cause confusion and inconsistent rules

2. "A decent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at WesTech Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands on learning opportunities
    Year round 'summer' hours type schedule available

Cons

ESOP requires 7 years to be fully vested
    Salary is based around Utah cost of living not IL/Cook County

3. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Group Leader in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at WesTech Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people, good intentions, headed in the right direction.

Cons

Very conservative culture, generally underpaid, can be frustratingly disorganized.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people to important logistics and systems-related positions, like shipping, purchasing, and IT.

"Good Company that needs to care more about it's employees needs."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at WesTech Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They are one of the best run businesses I have ever heard of. They know their target market, what they need to do to get business. and for the most part they have really do try to take care of their employees as a group. They are an ESOP, and induct everybody into that shortly after their first year of working. They have great benefits, a 401K match ($ for $ up to 4% of your income). Medical, Dental, Vision. I believe it started on the first day of employment, but it might have been at 30 days.

The culture is one where, for the most part, they will try to develop you into something more. If you can justify a training they will try to get it to you. There aren't many walls between departments, and there is little "us vs them" going on between groups that work together.

There is a very active and concerned quality control department - they will take the time to develop your skills of perception so that superior quality product comes out. Further there are mature systems in place to prevent large problems from developing.

There is a well developed bonus program that affects everybody.

At the time I left they had an effective 9 hour day M-Th, with every other Friday alternating 8 hours on and the other on call. It was very nice.

Cons

Most every con comes back to being very very tight about money. As a result of being so concerned about their business there is a tendency to micro manage.

Every trip must be approved by at least 2 levels of management, unless reason can be given it must be the lowest cost fare. There is no per-diem to travelers, at the time I was there they were expected to spend $35 or less on food per day of travel, and you would be questioned if you went over.

Raises are at best 2% per year. After receiving my Professional engineering liscence (which they were very supportive of me getting), the only raise I got was because I was promoted from a Project manager II to a III.

They are notorious for not paying as much as could be had elsewhere for similar experience. As an engineer out of School I received 44K starting which was ok. They are good for starting people. as time progressed however I could not achieve more. at one point a newer employee with a lifetime of experience was made a leader of a group to which I was going. He approached me and said he had no idea how much I earned, but felt I was a great dilgent worker and that, though he didn't know how much I was paid, he felt I worked enough to earn at least 40K a year. At the time I was making 60K. I should have realized that once he knew how much I actually earned suddenly I wouldn't be as good of a worker. And that's exactly what happened.

I finally left for a 20% raise at a different company.

Due to the other Friday being "On call" many managers don't take them. This leads to a culture from the management that looks down on people who actually do take those Friday's on call actually on call instead of being at the office.

Advice to Management

When your people say they are underpaid they are not lying to you. They want to stay, but they need their families taken care of in ways that benefits and retirement money cannot do.

5. "Work on the most important natural resource."

Current Employee - Field Service Technician
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician

I have been working at WesTech Engineering full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team work.
    Benefits.
    Training.
    Travel a lot if you like.

Cons

More coordination with purchase department.

6. "Review"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at WesTech Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee Owned, Good work environment.

Cons

No cons at this time.

"For an Engineer...WesTech is perfect"

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist

I have been working at WesTech Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WesTech management works hard to foster a family environment and the people are truly superb. They live by the values they preach and try to accommodate their employee's as best they can. All things considered it's a decent place to work.

Cons

Really the only downside is the lack of growth opportunity. There isn't a clearly defined path for progression for anyone other than engineers.

Advice to Management

More growth opportunities and a deeper focus on business development should be critical for success. Adding emphasis on a big picture process over just selling what's hot.

Jan 3, 2017 – HR Generalist/Recruiter

We want to thank you for taking the time to provide some valuable feedback regarding WesTech! We feel very strongly about our values and are committed to providing a workplace where we champion our... More

8. "Former employee"

Pros

Cool products, great customers, great history of company

Cons

VC ownership, ownership turnover affects operations and employees

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you would want to be treated.

Jan 3, 2017 – HR Generalist/Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking some time to provide feedback to us. It is greatly appreciated! We value the feedback because we are continuously looking to improve.

We are an employee-owned company... More

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Designer/Checker in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Designer/Checker in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at WesTech Engineering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee-owned. Excellent Core Values. Leadership that listens. Excellent benefits. 401k matching. Steady work. Room for advancement. Employees are constantly in the loop, and have access to company information at any time.

Cons

I can't think of even one negative aspect.

Advice to Management

Keep doing it right.

Jan 3, 2017 – HR Generalist/Recruiter

WesTech greatly appreciates the feedback you have provided! We are committed to continuously improve. Keep us in mind in the future as a place of employment again.

Thank you!

"Steady work and a friendly environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at WesTech Engineering (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance - you have a choice to work a 5-4/9 schedule in which you work 8 9-hour days and 1 8-hour day in the pay period and get an extra day "on-call"
    Open books. Bonuses based on entire company performance.
    Employee owned. Your ESOP account grows more the longer you stay with the company.
    Rex Plaizier is an amazing CEO. His door is always open. I would feel comfortable walking into his office at any time and speaking my mind if something wasn't being handled right.

Cons

The company is grouped by products, not roles. This has pros and cons, but it makes it difficult to share the work load.
    There are a lot of engineers who are promoted to be managers. Engineers aren't often the best bosses and there is a lot of variability between managers. Your experience here will be as good as your manager. Most managers are fun, hard working leaders.
    Margins are very slim on sales. There aren't a lot of opportunities for growth outside of what you were hired to do.

Advice to Management

Upper management often balks at WesTech's Glassdoor score because "anybody can just login and passive aggressively say whatever they want."
    Glassdoor needs to be used as a recruiting tool. There are plenty of employees who love it there, but don't know about Glassdoor because they aren't looking for another job. Advertise Glassdoor to all employees. The majority will speak up and the average rating will go up.