WildBlue Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at WildBlue full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment was very open and worker friendly. People were always interacting nicely together. Pay was above average for telecom.

Cons

Moved offices further away and into more traffic.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope with the satellite internet technology.

2. "Engineering Research and Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at WildBlue full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful group of people who pioneered the Ka band spot beam satellite broadband for rural markets. We faced many highs and lows but in the end we should be all proud of the wonderful and successful company we created.

Cons

Tough industry! Being in service provider operation requires being available 24x7x365. A niche industry with only limited growth potential.

Advice to Management

Only if we could have found a different buyer or kept the company independent ...

3. "Great place to work"

I worked at WildBlue (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing industry with limited competition

Cons

Satellite versus terrestrial based service

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

4. "Very political with horrible managment"

Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I worked at WildBlue full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was the first company to commercialize Ka-band internet service

Cons

Tension at the senior managment level made the rest of the company very ineffective. WildBlue always had financial problems and was finally sold to ViaSat.

Advice to Management

My advice to the former managment of WildBlue is to please retire.

5. "Fun coworkers but you notice the glass ceiling quickly"

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at WildBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good management
    - Fun atmosphere
    - Shift work can be awesome
    - Decent pay for the work done

Cons

- NOC staff is over worked
    - Leaving a NOC position is extremely difficult and management is vague about how to move forward with the company
    - Office politics plays too much of a role in determining promotions or transferring departments

Advice to Management

Chill out on the politics. The company was great with out it and still can be.

6. "Like DISH, only with decent benefits"

Current Employee - Techy in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Techy in Englewood, CO

I have been working at WildBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pushing the limit of knowledge

Cons

typical corporate "watch your back", not just management but other co-workers

Advice to Management

none

7. "Decent employer, now owned by ViaSat"

Former Employee - Universal Care Agent in Greenwood Village, CO
    Former Employee - Universal Care Agent in Greenwood Village, CO

I worked at WildBlue full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Although I was at the bottom of the food chain, the culture was positive. They try to make it an enjoyable place to work. Training for new employees in my area (customer care) was pretty good. Management seems pretty transparent with employees about how the company is doing, plans for growth, etc.

If an employee is not performing, they do give every opportunity to improve before termination.

While I was there the company was bought by ViaSat. Not much changed day-to-day as a result.

Cons

I was brought on as a temp, which is how they bring in all new customer service employees. When we were hired we were told our pay would increase to a certain level after a certain amount of time. Although it did increase, it was not what we had been told. Also, the department was reorganized several times, and we were simply assigned different responsibilities without any consideration of what we wanted or what we might be good at.

It was somewhat difficult to move up. I had a career before this job, but I had to start over because of the recession. So I was way overqualified for my job in customer care. After being there for awhile I applied for a couple different jobs that were more appropriate to my skill set but it seemed like the hiring manager already had someone in mind.

Quarterly reviews weren't particularly helpful. Seemed pro forma, but maybe that's because I was doing what I was supposed to be doing.

8. "Overall a great place to work."

Former Employee - NOC Technician in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - NOC Technician in Englewood, CO

I worked at WildBlue full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are the best. Benefits were above average. The company vision was well know.

Cons

New management was not sure of what WildBlue really did and how. Some managers were indecisive and often changed their directIons in mid stream. Turnover started to affect day to day.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. They are talking as they leave but you are not listening.

9. "Miserable."

Former Employee - Representative in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Representative in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

Pros

Decent starting salary (very decent compared to some similar positions), but not enough to compensate for the utter misery that was working for this company.

Cons

The longest, most obsessively pedantic hiring process I have ever experienced. Absolutely zero useful training. Almost no useful assistance or communication from management.

There is almost nothing good to say about working for this company. It took them nearly three months just to hire me, due to all the background checks and back-and-forth communications between the Viasat corporate offices in San Diego and the WildBlue offices in denver. I was interviewed no less than three times, by three different people, who clearly did not communicate to each other, because after what ended up being my final interview I was released and told to go home, when in reality they still wanted to interview me with a FOURTH person, but hadn't told the person I was interviewing with previously.

Save for two or three unique individuals, the people I worked with had a tendency to be back-stabbing, gossip-mongering, irritable, unhelpful, and completely unsympathetic. This company has treated its staff so poorly that the only people left are those who love punishment. These are the people who thrive in an environment where they are continually being beaten down by management, and anyone who doesn't love that kind of environment is actively shunned, discouraged, and eventually, given the boot.

What's more, they don't treat their customers much better. They don't follow their own policies, there is no accountability for what's going on "behind the scenes," and they expect people with the skill level of untrained monkeys (in this case, myself) to be able to resolve customer issues about which said monkeys haven't a clue.

While working there I never once received Quality Assurance feedback, nor did I receive any coaching or even basic encouragement beyond a simple "you'll figure it out, hang in there."

I would equate working at WildBlue to walking into a room filled with people who only speak Ancient Greek (angry people, who would rather not talk to you in any language, for that matter), and being expected to immediately begin communicating with them in fluent Ancient Greek yourself, while only given a book to translate from, which itself is written in Chinese.

Advice to Management

How about maybe offering some actual training? And how about some floor-assistance for new recruits on calls who don't know what they're doing? Maybe you could actually create some positions for leads to answer questions, or managers who are actually at their desks when they are needed. Just a thought.

10. "WildBlue is Among the Best"

Former Employee - Engineer in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Greenwood Village, Arapahoe, CO

Pros

People around were caring and friendly. The management above me recognized me with my talent and contributions I made to the company. My direct boss would tell his boss (VP Engineering) to gave me credits whenever he knew the progress and breakthroughs I made in the projects. This made me more motivated at work, no matter whatever I was doing.

I left because the business strategy had changed after WildBlue being bought out by ViaSat and no more R&D was needed.

Cons

I can not recall any Cons for this great company to work for. I have to say something, it might be the processes of doing business is different and may be weak. But again, it was a small size company and they had to do whatever quickly to make things happen for customers' satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Wish everyone there the best to come. Please keep up the legacy of having good spirit and treating everyone like being in a same family.