Windes Reviews | Glassdoor

John L. Di Carlo

1. "Good firm"

Former Employee - Tax Intern in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Intern in Long Beach, CA

Pros

The culture here is chill and relaxed. People are nice and willing to help. Even though busy season could be very stressful, management try every way possible to alleviate the pressure. Managers are approachable and willing to help as well. Overall it was great experience interning here and the firm pays really well.

Cons

well, I really cant find cons. I enjoyed my experience a lot at this firm.

2. "If you want to be a CPA, be a CPA here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Windes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supportive of work/life balance within the bounds of the industry requirements; relatively open to adopting new technology; the size of the firm allows exposure to different types of clients, industries and entity types; open door policy for every level including partners; lots of training; fun activities to get to know your co-workers.

Being a CPA comes with an expectation for long hours during busy season and the requirement that you meet minimum charge goals and professional standards, but this firm does a good job of trying (and sometimes succeeding) to support a work/life balance, develop the whole person and continuously strives toward improvements in efficiency and technology.

CPAs are relatively resistant to change, but in my time at this firm they have adopted a number of new policies and technologies to try to improve their service and the ability of their employees to work effectively. Some worked well, others did not, but it is nice to see a firm that is willing to consider new alternatives and lets employees participate in the decision making process.

For the most part the work of a CPA is the same no matter where you are, but here I like the people that I work with and I feel like there is a real chance that I can help make it a better place to work for me and my co-workers. As a result, even during busy season, I feel like most people have a pretty good attitude and are enjoyable to be around.

Cons

Busy season hours - but that's just true of being a CPA, medical insurance is a little costly

Advice to Management

Keep putting your people first and keep trying new things. They won't always pay off, but the ones that do pay for the ones that don't and the willingness to change gives you the reputation for innovation which will attract better talent.

"Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Great place to work. Beautiful offices and amenities, partners and managers who care.

Cons

Health insurance is a little expensive.

5. "Very standard experience"

Former Employee - Audit Intern in Westminster, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Intern in Westminster, CA

I worked at Windes (Less than a year)

Pros

They really wanted you to learn and were very understanding to your needs as an entry level.

Cons

Lack of work. Half of my internship, I was not given much work.

6. "Great Firm"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Windes (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Down to earth partners with open door policy as well. OT during busy season for licensed staff and seniors.

Cons

Not many cons at firm worth mentioning.

"Not the Right Move..."

Former Employee - Tax in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Tax in Irvine, CA

I worked at Windes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some fun firm events, a few nice people, and that's about it. Oh and there's free soda.

Cons

This firm is small and local, with small time boring clients. Firm management thinks they're some high class firm and are unrealistic about fees, charge ability, and hire and fire people for no reason. Seems like it's a revolving door of staff and seniors coming and going.
    They're really an afterthought for service providers to local businesses and leadership is mostly absent and doesn't think twice in throwing people " under the bus" if something goes wrong. Most are there to think about the next career move to make.

Coaching, or lack thereof, is nonexistent and a joke. They string you along on raises or being eligible for the almost year and a half eligibility of having a 401k and matching.

Health benefits are laughable and extremely expensive if you have a family, and change almost on an annual basis.

Definitely limited for career opportunities and leadership often says one thing, talk behind your back and do another.

Really no difference in work life balance compared to other regional, mid tier or even Big Four firms, maybe less than 5 hour difference between them. Office is understaffed, overworked and not supported. Prospective Clients are hard to come by, and seems like existing big accounts are leaving and going elsewhere.

I'd suggest looking elsewhere if you want to be in public accounting and/or gain relevant accounting experience.

Advice to Management

You should support new hires and keep them motivated by not hiring and firing constantly. Offer better benefits and provide long term career opportunities by mentoring and supporting your professionals. Be realistic about where the firm ranks amongst your peers and have some decency in how you treat people who make the decision to join your firm.

8. "Exceptional work life balance for the industry"

Current Employee - Auditor in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Windes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work Life Balance
    2. Opportunity for Growth
    3. Flexibility
    4. Paid Overtime
    5. Impressive Client-base.

Cons

1. Limited to Southern California office locations.

Advice to Management

Consider the benefits of upward evaluations

"Great place to work in public accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Pros

- Great opportunity to work in different areas.
    - Opportunity to make partner.
    - Input is valued all the way down to staff.

Cons

- Benefits have decreased over the years, but this is more of an industry standard.
    - Deadline pressure common to all cpa firms

Advice to Management

Do a better job of showing appreciation
    Open communication could be improved
    Should be more on the forefront of technology

10. "Great firm that cares for the employees on an individual level"

Pros

The partners look at staff in a very respectful and professional manner. Upper management makes sure to reward hard work and professionalism. The firm has a great managing partner who takes the time to get to know all of the employees' names, even the new ones. The COO does this as well. The work-life balance at Windes is great and they encourage employees to join community organizations and to get involved. Long Beach is a great city to be a part of. Overall - great firm and I am happy with the partners.

Cons

Not too many cons that stick out here Vs. other similar sized firms. Expensive to eat lunch in surrounding areas in Downtown Long Beach.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employees and keep showing there is room for advancement

11. "Staff Accountant"

I have been working at Windes full-time

Pros

Not fun, no personal relationships.

Cons

too stuffy, dry and little personality