Wonderlic Reviews | Glassdoor

Wonderlic Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Charles F. Wonderlic, Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The future looks super bright..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Wonderlic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderlic has 80 years of business experience and brand strength behind it. For being an "old" company, Wonderlic seems to be working very hard to drive a fresh culture and compelling vision. The company is in the process of evolving into a SaaS organization and embracing agile practices. More and more women and young people are emerging as leaders and influencers. Employees seem to be learning a lot and the future is looking super bright.

Cons

Transforming from an 80 year old test publisher into a startup-like SaaS company is a big change, and change isn't easy.

Advice to Management

Keep driving the ORCHIDS cultural values into everything we do - its working.

"Hard Work Doesn't Go Unoticed"

I have been working at Wonderlic full-time

Pros

I was able to snag an interview with Wonderlic after moving to the northern suburbs. I thought it would be cool working with such a recognizable name, (for those who don’t know, Wonderlic provides pre-employment tests to all sorts of companies around the world) and at that time I knew them from their work with the NFL combine every year.

I started working in the marketing department qualifying leads which turned out to be an integral part to the sales process and after gaining confidence along with better understanding about the company and the product offerings, I was quickly recognized by my supervisor and given more and more responsibilities. Since then, I’ve been able to keep progressing through the company and now I’m on a new-product development team which has been a fantastic experience for my career.

Overall, my experience working at Wonderlic has been overly positive and I can assure you that if you truly put in hard work, you will be recognized and rewarded. If you are motivated and have an entrepreneurial spirit, you can definitely go far and you will work on really exciting projects.

I’m definitely looking forward to the years to come! The company has a very well designed vision which makes me feel good about sticking around.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the company culture is great. You won’t find drama here, dress code is casual and they have always emphasized that family comes first.

Cons

Some policies seem a little dated such as time off and maternity leave but I assume these policies will eventually be revisited as they continue to work on company culture.

3. "Exciting place to work with great values and culture"

I have been working at Wonderlic full-time

Pros

It's tough to find many 4th generation companies that continue to innovate their model throughout the years. The leadership has been able to maintain a strong brand name and timeless values while also self-disrupting the business model/culture when necessary. The current focus on technology and market-driven development gives team members a lot of freedom to create and try new things.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but could be considered as such to people who are looking for a lot of handholding. The culture here rewards people who take initiative.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in development opportunities and in the culture. The efforts to improve are noted and making a difference.

"Honestly? Wonderlic is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Wonderlic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Just an overall great culture. I felt welcome and accepted right from the start. Management seems to really care about the employees and has a vested interest in maintaining the standard of excellence they are known for in their field.
    There is an excellent work/home life balance and management is very flexible and understanding, especially for working parents.

Cons

Nothing outside the normal, small things all businesses face from time to time. Overall, nothing I would really consider a "con".

Advice to Management

Keep the traditions the company is known for. Move forward to stay current with the ever changing and advancing field but always keep that tight knit "family" dynamic within the corporate world. Keep striving to show you understand that content, fulfilled, thriving employees ARE your key to continued business success! This is something you do well now, and I hope you continue in the same vein.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Wonderlic full-time

Pros

Wonderlic is the most well known pre-employment testing company due to a long history of working with some high profile clients. I think the new product "Wonscore" has a ton of potential and the outlook is trending up.

Work/ life balance and an increased focus on culture are two of the reasons why I want to stay here for the duration of my career.

Cons

Nothin big comes to mind other than the location being in Illinois. Wish the company was somewhere warmer!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people as they are the ones that will help you reach your potential. Keep up with the recent culture movement as it doesn't go unnoticed.

"Good place to start out of college / Not a good long term career"

Pros

Work environment is mostly relaxed, most people are caring, intent to do good work from most of the managers

Cons

Upper management focused more on financial results and less on the employees, little-to-none employee development, management use of manipulation was at times unethical, perception of lack of trust from managers, contradicting goals to actual work and behaviors was challenging to deal with,

Advice to Management

Focus more on people-they are the driving force behind the results

"Great culture, great people"

Former Employee - Corporate Training Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Corporate Training Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Wonderlic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company does a ton of stuff for employees. From an Olympic competition to cooking thanksgiving turkeys to an ice cream truck drop by, they are always showing appreciation to the employees.

Cons

Upper management does not really support work from home time. Many great people have left because this benefit was not offered or was taken away. Also, the company has big vision, but the execution is often poor. A ton of time is spent getting new products to market, but then support and follow through is limited.

"senior software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at Wonderlic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has a very relaxed and laid-back atmosphere. You don't need to work extra hours. There are a lot of friendly people who seem to genuinely want to do well.

Cons

It has very much of a "family business" mentality, where people who fit in and get along with the right people get the assignments they want. As a consequence, there are a lot of people in positions they are completely unqualified for. The annual raises are terrible. Most new development is being outsourced, so there isn't even any worthwhile software development to do, mostly just bug fixes. What little code there is to write, all the decisions are made by the technical architects, so there is no autonomy or decision-making for developers. I think any experienced developer who is used to writing their own code, having ownership of a project, and making coding decisions will hate it at Wonderlic. It might be a decent place for an inexperienced developer to learn some things before moving on to somewhere that will give them the opportunity to do some things on their own. The whole development process is constantly changing, but never improves. There are way more meetings than anywhere else I've been, so a lot of time is wasted. The team is pretty inefficient in general. You have to wait over a year to be eligible for the 401K (which I only found out after I started working there). The developers and QAers are often left out of the loop by the department leadership, even though it's only about a 12 person department. Most of the people in leadership positions have never really worked anywhere else but Wonderlic, so don't really know much about how things could be done better.

Advice to Management

Work somewhere else to see how it is done. Or bring in some people in leadership positions who know what they're doing.

"Account Manager"

I worked at Wonderlic full-time

Pros

I have worked at MANY places and have never experienced such a positive work culture and co-workers. It was a place I looked forward to going to every day. There was one morning where my back was killing, but I made it to the office anyway. Work was fun and challenging and there was healthy competition among the team. The company has almost monthly events for staff- they celebrate Thanksgiving with a potluck lunch and fried Turkeys, Fall with Octoberfest at a Paintball place (with canoe races, carnival games, and a cookout), cookouts at a local forest preserve, etc. From the moment I started, I was invited to participate in a company book club and an after work hours volleyball league. You will have FUN here and you will do well- because when you have a good time, you will have great productivity. I only wish ALL work cultures were this way. Also- the work life balance. This place even provides pet insurance!

Cons

The only reason why I decided to leave this awesome company was to have greater advancement potential. Wonderlic has less than 100 employees and people hang around a LONG time, because it is such a great company. If you are itching to move up, it may take a little longer than a larger company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. I will miss you guys!

"Remember, they really don't care about you."

Former Employee - Sales in Libertyville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Libertyville, IL

I worked at Wonderlic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pet insurance, free parking, occasional flexible hours, dress code and my co workers. It was a fun product to sell, and the assessments were respected and well known.

Cons

Office politics and favoritism can not be avoided here. Management seems to make decisions by flipping a coin, and has no interest in others opin, experience or the facts. Don't get to comfortable, or think your extra work will be rewarded or appreciated in the "family" business. Make sure you get any promises, reviews, recommendations, awards or acknowledgement of work documented and on paper or it will disappear.

Advice to Management

Make time to gather the facts before making decisions. Quit listening to so called industry experts that keep pitching the "new best thing" for your business. Appreciate the talent you have, and give them the respect they deserve, even after they are no longer your employee.