Woolpert Reviews | Glassdoor

Woolpert President & CEO Scott Cattran
Scott Cattran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are so many layers of leadership at the company who make it known they are more valuable than the people who make the company money (in 3 reviews)

• Stop rewarding people who make the company face look good and the people who work hard to meet deadlines (in 2 reviews)

1. "Woolpert has been an excellent place to grow and develop professionally."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Woolpert full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Woolpert's leadership are engaged and approachable. The project portfolio is well rounded, diverse, and interesting. There are some very good employees, and have made several, what I expect to be, life long friends.

Cons

At times it can be challenging to introduce new technology and processes. It's also challenging to discern where the company is investing internally.

Advice to Management

Internally advertise development opportunities and education.

2. "Not everything is perfect"

I worked at Woolpert full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most staff is friendly.
    Flexible with hours.
    Dress code is relaxed but professional.
    President is realistic and easy to speak with.

Cons

A lot of sexism in professional fields.
    Supervisors not on location do not have a realistic idea of what you work on.
    Definite favorites throughout the different markets.
    If you don't play well with others, you are treated like an outcast. Similar to high school 'it' crowds.
    Some unprofessional behaviors in some offices.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on 'key' players that talk a good game, but deliver little real results.

3. "Growing Company, Lots of Opportunity,"

I have been working at Woolpert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has committed to being a Great Place to Work and is regularly soliciting feedback from employees and responding to concerns or issues.

The company is high-tech and on the cutting edge of many engineering and GIS applications, ahead of many other firms. This is exciting and leads to lots of opportunities to grow and learn with the firm and stay ahead both personally and as a company. The company has committed to providing work-life balance.

The firm invests in its people and provides and pays for training and professional organization memberships to advance careers and keep performance on top. At Woolpert, I feel like most any training request I have will be approved (and paid for) as long as it relates to my job and each person works with their manager to create an individualized training plan and 2 year and 5 year goals.

Our projects are challenging and diverse. It is also a good team atmosphere with generally minimal conflicts - it feels like we are all working together towards a goal. Everyone feels like they have ownership and buy-in on projects and decisions.

Cons

There have been some growing pains, and some groups could use reorganization given the level of growth achieved over the last few years to balance out manager loads and number of people supervised. Too many employees under one manager makes it more difficult for the manager to be involved and responsive to each employee, and may make them seem more distant.

Advice to Management

Promote from within or bring in talent from without, possibly creating new positions to help move people upward as the company grows and maintain the right manager to staff balance.

4. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Woolpert part-time

Pros

Very friendly while having the chance to explore different departments in the company. Works well with school schedule at the time.

Cons

No training at all, had to learn everything by myself

"Cool projects/low salaries"

Former Employee - GIS Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - GIS Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Woolpert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects to work on

Cons

Pay was not competitive for field.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you want them to stay around, pay them a competitive salary for their field and push them to grow and stay with the company.

"Amazing growth potential"

I have been working at Woolpert full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunity to advance my career. Lots of possible career paths that I see as available for me to transition in to. Upper management is very open to discussing my growth within Woolpert. Corporate culture is amazing and respects my work/personal life.

Cons

It can be difficult to understand what each Market within Woolpert is responsible for. Sometimes I see markets working on projects that don't appear to belong to that Market.

Advice to Management

Keep our culture how it is. Keep allowing flexibility when it comes to work/life balance. Let's modernize our offices, they're getting a bit dated.

"Poor Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Woolpert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Traveling positions are great. It's a chance to get out of the office.
    The work is good but there's not much in the way of variety.
    If you are a young healthy male this is probably the place for you

Cons

HR is great at responding to issues initially but drops the ball on following through with their promises.
    Management is completely out of touch with their employees and insists on a structured work schedule with little flexibility.
    The work environment is noisy and unprofessional. There are lot of frat like groups.
    Quality of work doesn't matter to the company so much as the amount of hours spent working.

Advice to Management

Flexibility is a must in today's world especially for companies like Woolpert which gives out little PTO. Stay in touch with your employees and actually talk to them BEFORE making decision which affect them

Woolpert Response

May 10, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

The HR team at Woolpert works to maintain a service-oriented approach to support employees. Woolpert proudly employs a wide variety of people, thus we understand the importance of being flexible... More

8. "Compensation and Employer Expectations Do Not Match"

I have been working at Woolpert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

geospatial oriented, fun, small, connected, innovative

Cons

sexism, lack of talent, poor healthcare benefits, cronyism, un-balanced

Advice to Management

hire more talent, don't over-compensate men and under-compensate women, be logical about your hiring decisions - if you want good talent then make it worth their while, don't treat employees in different regions the same, tighten your leadership closer to the bottom

9. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Woolpert full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like working for Woolpert - the business is large enough to provide adequate support to our employees, clients, business partners - a true accounting, HR, and marketing staff that can support all. However, Woolpert isn't too large thus rendering it unresponsive to employees and clients alike.

Cons

Lack of diversity in the senior management.

Advice to Management

Allow some pre-determined amount of personnel wellness time be charged to overhead. Something as simple as three hours of fitness time a week that can be on overhead would go a long way.

10. "client services"

I worked at Woolpert full-time

Pros

excellent provider in certain markets

Cons

in a constant state of change

Woolpert Response

Mar 3, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

At Woolpert we have a diverse set of products and services. These diverse offerings often require our employees to adapt quickly and maintain flexibility as we adjust to the changing needs of... More