Work for Progress Reviews | Glassdoor

Crystal Bergeman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Office Manager"

I have been working at Work for Progress part-time

Pros

Awesome work place and great start.

Cons

None as of now and no problems

2. "Many Try but Few Succeed"

Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Canvass Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Work for Progress full-time

Pros

Their campaigns work on important causes, and winning a campaign is a good thing for people and the country.

Cons

This organization, and many of the other organizations within the public interest network, have a really hard time with employee retention when it comes to the canvass director and campaign organizer roles. In a lot of cases you end up working so many hours per week it works out to be less than a minimum wage salary. In many cases the canvassers that you hire as a director, make more an hour than you do.
    There are a few situations involving canvasser's concerns/safety that were not handled well by higher management in my opinion.
    I also feel that you are very much just a number in the overall organization of the team. When myself and others raised concerns or decided to quit because we were uncomfortable with the way things were done, the management seemed more than willing to drop us and find the next person who would be willing to blindly follow their game plan. Because of that, I really didn't feel valued.

Advice to Management

For the whole of TPIN, please, get a human resources department. Suck it up, and pay your employees what they deserve. You hire really motivated and intelligent people, don't waste them, make them feel valued. Instead of dropping anyone who disagrees with how you run things, maybe listen to them every once in awhile and you might have better retention rates.

3. "Worst Job of My Life"

Former Employee - Canvass Director in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Canvass Director in Boulder, CO

I worked at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very easy job to get

Cons

was scheduled for 100+ hours per week, made on average $4.25/hr, was forced to do unethical firing, was treated as a person with no worker righters (fair wage, reasonable hours, specific job requirements)

Advice to Management

If you are going to fight for progressive agendas like a $15 minimum wage, then do not pay your employees $4.25 an hour.

"Canvassing Work"

Pros

Really flexible and amazing people

Cons

Long-hours and hard to find times that work

"Hypocrisy at its Finest"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Work for Progress full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Training program. Great way to build organizing experience and leadership. Many wonderful, passionate, hard working people.

Cons

The "model" runs everything. Management/senior staff prioritize numbers and expediency over people. I was hired to help direct a canvassing office, and was shocked on the first day to find out that senior organizers firmly endorsed sending out canvassers, including young girls (as long as they were 18 or older) out to canvass ALONE in the dark in unfamiliar neighborhoods. Mind you, by the time I left staff, the sun went down at 6:45, but the canvassing shift ends at 9pm. When I and other directors in training expressed concern about safety issues concerning this, our concerns were blatantly shot down and ignored because they went against the expediency and effectiveness of their canvassing model. Moreover, during our training, one of the directors got hurt because she couldn't see the driveways and sidewalks in the dark. We were assured that flashlights would be supplied, but they weren't until at least a month later.

Second point about safety: the office I directed in operated in a CO area that was highly conservative with white supremacist roots and a lot of homelessness and joblessness. Moreover, it was not a densely populated urban area like Denver, which would be highly lit with streetlamps and activity; it got dark immediately. Throughout the course of our campaign, not one but FOUR of our canvassers had guns pulled on them at the door, including one of the directors-most during the later half of the evening. When I asked my supervisor about shifting the canvassing hours to earlier, so that we might preserve the SAFETY of our canvassers, she refused, as well as telling me that if people of color don't feel comfortable canvassing with us for fear of their safety, then this job is not for them, and that there was nothing she or anyone could do about it. The reasoning I was given for this was that there was no evidence based on canvassing success and rates to move the hours earlier-or in other words, numbers over people.
    Final point: I was given extremely high recruitment goals for the fall campaign and was pushed to exceed those by my Canvass director and the same supervisor above, and then a month later told that we did not have enough neighborhoods and doors to knock on to continue to send out all of those people I had just recruited. Their solution? Lay off the unneeded staff, move one of the three directors, and fire one director (me). I was given no reason for their decision other than "it's not a good fit" though I asked them for the exact reasons for the dismissal. Major targeting team oversight. Needless to say, anyone who is not upper-level staff is completely disposable.
    This organization values numbers, politics, and results over the safety, experience, and wages of their staff.
    And finally, everything in the other reviews about the wages is true. Directors are expected to work 90-100 hours a week, with no day off, and host after work "socials" at 10pm almost every day. The lowest level staff, the canvassers, are paid anywhere from $10-16 an hour-nearly twice as much, if not more than the directors are paid hourly, because the directors are salaried staff.
    And finally, directors are encouraged to let people go if they don't meet the daily canvassing standards, even if the neighborhoods are extremely spread out, poorly lit, difficult terrain, crossing highways, or hidden with conservative gun-touting residents. Regardless of age, fitness, education, etc. everyone is expected to meet the same standard. The "model" does not account for individual variance, or even local context.
    This organization is a poor excuse for progressive ideals; it operates more like a chinese sweatshop than a paragon of democratic ideals. Avoid at all costs if you're actually interested in human decency.

Advice to Management

Pay your directors a living wage. Treat your employees like human beings; practice what you preach. What good is it to fight for democratic candidates and democratic ideals if you can't follow them within your own organization? Anyone who is silent on the matter, or just dismisses the tactics I outlined above in favor of "the numbers" and getting the work done, is endorsing the hypocrisy and indecency of this model, its organization, and its decision makers. If you're reading this now and currently employed by Work for Progress, you have a moral obligation to speak on behalf of your own living standards and those of the people you may employ. Silence is deadly.

"Great experience and training on elections. Hard work"

I have been working at Work for Progress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, its an exciting-and seems pretty effective-election nonprofit. Work for progress seems to have a track record of elections and runs a pretty big /impressive program.
    good training-learned a lot about elections/political campaigns
    people obviously care a lot about what they're doing, which i liked; they're great to work with

Cons

have to be flexible.
    hard work. long hours

"Hard work on important campaign"

I have been working at Work for Progress full-time

Pros

Working with lots of awesome, passionate people.
    Getting to work on election and have an impact on important outcomes.
    Learning campaign skills

Cons

You gotta work a lot on the election project -- but it's an election!

"Good place for some quick, short-term money"

Former Employee - Field Manager in Golden, CO
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Golden, CO

I worked at Work for Progress (Less than a year)

Pros

People were all nice
    Hourly rates get better the closer you get to election season
    You generally get out the effort that you put in
    Reimburse you for travel expenses if you are a driver

Cons

Canvassing can generally be a demoralizing experience
    Lots of downtime that is technically not counted as part of your workday--you do not get paid for time driving to and from a canvassing location, or time spent at meetings before you go out. If you have an 8-hour shift, you might get paid for 5.5 hours of it.

Advice to Management

Do a better job cultivating employees--most of the "management" I got was obviously rote pieces of encouragement or advice by overworked college kids who were operating on about 2 hours' sleep. Take better care of yourselves, and your employees.

9. "Spend your time on something that matters"

Pros

As an employee of Work for Progress I've gotten to work on meaningful and urgent campaigns where I'm actually making an impact, and since management is very willing to give you high levels of responsibility, I've been able to advance and watch others advance in the organization quickly--much faster than at almost any other organization hiring entry level candidates. At the end of the day though, my favorite part of the job is getting to meet and work with a wide range of really incredible people, all of whom care deeply about changing the world for the better.

Cons

The hours are long, but the urgency of the campaigns and the people you work with make it totally worth while.

10. "Great way to make a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Work for Progress part-time

Pros

You really feel like you're having a big impact on the issues you're working on, and you can take on a lot of responsibility pretty quickly. Fun coworkers!

Cons

You'll know this going in, but the work is hard and the hours can be long around elections.