YPO Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
YPO YPO-WPO Chief Executive Officer Scott Mordell
Scott Mordell

"Change and Progress is a great thing!"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at YPO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

YPO continues to evolve dynamically and innovatively. The organization is in a growth and high change mode and although that creates stress and tension it is a very exciting time. Engagement is at a high.

Cons

Continual care and communication with team members is important. Listening to pain points can be improved.

Advice to Management

Listen proactively to team members in the field who know more deeply what is concerning them or not working. Lead by example with work/life balance.

Jun 8, 2016 – YPO

Thank you for your feedback. Having an individual, healthy life/work integration strategy and actively listening to the pain points of our organization are very important to our senior leadership ... More

2. "Director"

I have been working at YPO full-time

Pros

flexibility, professional development, networking and bonuses

Cons

not transparent and the lack of communication

Advice to Management

to really pay attention to the management survey and take heed of the information that given.

Feb 21, 2017 – YPO

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that the engagement survey is a good tool for gathering feedback from across our management team. The survey revealed that we have a highly engaged and ... More

"Gaslighting at its Worst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at YPO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home. Professional development opportunities. Reimbursement for phone and Internet. Annual bonus. Opportunities to travel around the world to exciting places. Many great team members to work with who become lifelong friends (like friends you bond with during a war or other traumatic experience).

Cons

Working here is like being in an abusive relationship. Everything starts off great, but a few months in you realize you've been fooled by promises that will never come to fruition and people begin to show their true colors. This is a membership organization for some of the world's wealthiest (mostly) men. Many of the members are inspiring and a joy to work with, however one or two difficult members can make your life miserable -- especially on a long-term project. My first year here a member threatened to kill me, in writing, for a mistake in an email. Not only was nothing done (it was explained to me that the members are very "passionate" and he was likely not serious, just letting off steam), this was seen as par for the course. Members are regularly verbally abusive to the management team (mostly women), and have successfully gotten women fired when they don't get their way. If you are a woman and you stand up for yourself in any way you get labeled as aggressive and a troublemaker. You're expected to work 24/7, 80-100 hours a week and only get paid for 37 hours. If you don't do this you get told you're not a team player. Good luck trying to take any time off without getting called or texted by your boss as early as 6 a.m. during your vacation for things that aren't actual emergencies. Most everyone leaves vacation time on the table at the end of the year as it is simply not possible to take time off and get your work done as there is often no one to cover when you're out of the office. You're given 100% accountability and only 10% authority to do your job. Disclosing these problems to HR does nothing to help fix the situation. One or two people are often expected to execute a workload that in other organizations would be spread out between multiple departments. The technology is at least five years behind so you don't have the resources or tools to do what is being asked; many processes are still manual. I have had a lot of jobs in high powered organizations, but this is the only place I have worked where people take medical leave for stress, which was caused by the job. The CEO and COO work people to the bone and lead with fear and threats. This is the most unethical place I have ever worked, and I'm ashamed I stayed as long as I did. By the time you realize you need to leave this place you're so beaten down and exhausted you think you don't deserve any better.

Advice to Management

Listen to your engagement survey. Stop being in denial about why people are fleeing in droves; read your exit interviews. Give your team the resources to successfully do their jobs. Stop changing the entire organizational structure every year. Senior leadership team needs to be totally revamped. A little kindness goes a long way.

Sep 26, 2016 – YPO

Thank you for your feedback and insights. What you have shared in your post is very concerning. The mistreatment of a team member by a peer, supervisor or member is never condoned nor expected ... More

"Service for old BOYS club"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Irving, TX

I worked at YPO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff training on service topics.

Cons

Lack of gender equality in staff and membership! BEWARE! Teams of women expected to service needs of demanding, wealthy men. No work/life balance. 24/7 culture is helpful to members but horrible for staff. I worked 14-16 hour days regularly, and this was expected. Culture of fear with regular restructuring! CEO loves to try "flavor of the day" organizational structures.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Stop changing over and over, as staff need to count on some continuity.

Sep 22, 2016 – YPO

Thank you for your feedback and insights. Like every organization, YPO is not the environment for everyone. YPO has a strong culture as a fast-paced organization made up of predominately female ... More

6. "A great place to start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at YPO (Less than a year)

Pros

The international team while far flung, was one of the tightest units around. Service oriented and excellent.

Cons

Vast majority of members are professionals who are good to work with, though definitely a few who like to let you know how wonderful they are.

Sep 22, 2016 – YPO

Thank you for your feedback and insights.

"Constant Change"

I worked at YPO full-time

Pros

Great salary, programs for employees and a huge budget for software programs the company uses and 70% of the workforce works virtually. There are some great staff and members who it was a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The way departments and staff are structured changes frequently as the members in charge or "in power" change. Powerful members also have a lot of pull, and in many instances have successfully had employees fired or moved to another area. There are many horror stories of dealing with difficult members. Very bureaucratic, lots of paperwork and processes involved in everything you do.

Advice to Management

Keep egotistic/overly powerful members in check.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at YPO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Flexibility in working location and hours is key. The goal is to get your work done and do a great job. There's no one watching to see if you start at 7 or 9 am though, which I highly treasure.
    2. Opportunities to expand your worldview and possibly travel too. So many companies put you in a bubble of information and opportunity; not YPO. You will learn and grow simply by being in the midst of members and upper management.
    3. Open minded colleagues to work and play with! I've never worked with a more diverse group of intelligent and interesting people. It makes the long days shorter and when we do go out after a long day or at the completion of an event, it is with lots of laughter and fun.

Cons

1. Work / life balance is a little off. Some departments are REALLY bad at it, while others respect your time more. Personally, I'm doing well with the balance, but because the workload is so high and your customers - the members - are world wide, it can be exhausting and tough to find balance here.
    2. Pay is lower than the average for my skill set in my area of expertise. Maybe that won't apply to you - I've heard that some people make great money here - but it is a common theme that because they are not-for-profit we work for the mission, not the money.
    3. Continuous change. This could be a pro for some of course :) but it can be difficult too. Because we have a new chairman every year, many things change yearly. You must be comfortable with change to survive here.

"High Engagement with Incredible Opportunities to make an impact on the world of business"

Current Employee - Senior Management in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Dallas, TX

Pros

This is a cause based organization whose mission is the support of Better Leaders through Education and Idea Exchange. In reality it is so much more. The programming and structures of learning and confidential connections for CEOs and their families has a deeper and more profound impact. The caring, support and trust that gets established is cascaded through over 125 countries with no political or other discriminatory aspects in play. Unique in the world and worthy celebrating

Cons

The shear volume of activity requires a 7 day a week mentality from staff and member champions as there is something scheduled every day of the year. Stress can be high and care needs to be taken not to burn people out.

Advice to Management

Celebrate successes, nurture a culture of support and take a long view on strategy and goals.

Jul 6, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your post! YPO-WPO offers and supports a virtual work environment that allows our team members flexibility in how and where they work. We understand it is a process to create ... More

"Great Organization - Amazing People"

Pros

YPO is a great organization focused on building better leaders through education and idea exchange. The leadership team is results oriented and focused on delivering products, programs and benefits that drive member value both professionally and personally. The culture is relationship driven, collaborative, open and evolving to meet the demands of the current business environment.

Cons

As with any business that is evolving, the change can be challenging for some team members.

"YPO is an AMAZING place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

I joined YPO this year and have had a blast. My role is challenging with a lot of stretch goals. I love that I get to own the work and have gotten to develop some pretty amazing relationships with my peers and other colleagues around the organization. It makes the work and the work day a lot of fun. Our Senior Leadership team is a exceptional. Both our CEO and COO are active members, so they understand and have reaped the benefits personally of what YPO is all about - making Better Leaders Through Education and Idea Exchange. My team is great - we support, challenge and encourage each other as well as laugh and celebrate our successes. They made me feel welcome even before I started as did the HR team. I'm told the HR team has undergone a complete change this past year. My experience has been wonderful. They were terrific throughout the interview and on-boarding processes. Each person I got to interact with were very professional, timely in responding and proactive in sharing information and answering my newbie questions. A few of the perks of YPO includes flexibility with nearly 65% of our employees working remotely and for those in positions that travel - we get to visit great global cities and stay in some pretty amazing hotels. For those of us working in the Dallas office, it is centrally located which makes the commute not so bad. The office also offers great views of Lake Carolyn in Las Colinas and the Dallas skyline. YPO is a great place to work!

Cons

We are a membership organization which causes some confusion for our regional based member focused positions. I've heard some say they report to the members when in fact, they do not. We all serve the members and report into our management team leaders. YPO is growing up. We are setting goals, measuring ourselves to a set of competencies and goal performance - much like most other organizations. We have access to incredible tools and resources - that I don't think many employees realize these can benefit us and our individual growth and development too. YPO exists to help young presidents' grow their skill-sets through both education and idea exchange, I think we can grow ourselves using these same tools and resources. It's really a wonderful opportunity for those who seek it out!

Advice to Management

1 - Keep listening to management team ideas. We have some creative and innovative thinkers across the organization.
    2 - Keep the Strategic Framework simple. More than a handful of strategies and people lose sight of what the real goal is.
    3 - Celebrate both success and failure. When we fail, fail flamboyantly. It shows we tried something new. Then we will debrief and pull the nuggets of success that came out of the failure to refocus for the next great attempt.
    4 - Keep investing in our #1 resource - our management team. Leadership development is an area of continued growth and focus.
    5 - Always say Thank You. Manners matter and when modeled at the top, it quietly sets the tone of respect, candor and integrity throughout the organization.