Zapproved Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2020

3.5
Zapproved Founder & CEO Monica Enand (no image)
Monica Enand
Pros
  • "Fast paced environment, lots of growth opportunities(in 5 reviews)

• "We are known for our DE&;I initiatives and community efforts, which are authentic priorities for Zapproved(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "We're growing and with growth comes growing pains(in 6 reviews)

• "Frequent political drama and backstabbing leads to highly toxic work environment(in 5 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Great Employer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zapproved full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Great benefits and transparent leaders. Over the past six months, the company has added some smart people - the new Security Analyst, Legal Operations Manager and Technical Project Manager have been wonderful additions and good fits with the company culture. Office Manager continues to be amazing.

Cons

There seems to be some uncertainty lately. Fears.

Continue reading

"People & Purpose Sets Zapproved Apart"

5.0

I have been working at Zapproved full-time

Pros

Zapproved is a business created by and filled with folks that are passionate about the opportunity and solving problems for the industry, our customers and internally. What this leads to is working with people across the business who contribute to our success as an organization and the success of others. Zapproved's commitment to inclusion move beyond just words in to actions - from the DE&I programming to how we think about our space to the expectation of all to live this as a value. Zapproved has set a new tone & bar in my career as an organization that exudes passion, not apathy and inclusion at its core.

Cons

As others have shared before, finding balance in process and procedure (enough to be nimble but not too much to create bogs) can be challenging and those challenges are amplified when attempting to move fast.

"Some Pros, But Mostly Cons"

2.0

I worked at Zapproved

Pros

Sincere efforts in regards to DE&I. Reasonable benefits and compensation.

Cons

A painful lack of long term planning. Constant reactionary change. No system in place for reviews. A lack of follow-up from HR and senior leadership when concerns are raised. A willingness to sell vapor-ware. Customer base is filled with companies of questionable ethics.

Zapproved Response

February 21, 2020Director, Employee Success & Business Partnership

Hi, this is Amy Dobler, Sr. Director of People at Zapproved. Feedback is really important for us as a company and for me personally so I appreciate you taking the time to share. In reading your comments, I wanted to address one in particular- that HR has not followed up with you when concerns are raised. It is our intention and commitment to follow up with everyone that raises a situation and it reads that has not happened for you. If you are open to speaking now, my door will continue to be open. Thank you again.

"Happy Zapprovian"

Current Employee - Manager of Workplace Experience DE&I in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zapproved full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the reasons I took a position with Zapproved was that we have a woman CEO. I had worked for years in hospitality where misogyny was rampant. I really wanted to be a part of a team that was led by a woman and where being inclusive was a core value. That has been at Zapproved’s core since I started. Zapproved has trusted me to grow with them and explore my strengths and push myself to be a better human and a better Zapprovian. We have a learning culture, which I appreciate. I take pride in managing their workplace experience and leading their diversity, equity and inclusion work. This work is so important not just for our team, but for the community. We truly care about creating a culture where folks can thrive. We recently released our salary bands to the company and I have never worked for a company that has done this before. The best part is that Zapproved has an awesome team of people to work with. Not just my immediate team, but as a whole I couldn’t work with better group of individuals. Every day I am excited to come to work with people who are passionate about what they do.

Cons

We are having some growing pains as we put systems in place as we continue to grow.

5. "Poised for Growth"

Current Employee - Marketer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zapproved full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Strong, experienced and above all HUMAN Leadership -Solid foothold in the market, but lots of room to grow - Recent investments in Product & Engineering are starting to pay-off, feels like everyone is rowing in the same direction - Clear, open lines of communication across functions - Plenty of culture, food, all the "Tech things" - Fail-fast mentality keeps everyone open to keep pushing the envelope -

Cons

The office has gotten a bit crowded (but we move to a bigger space in April, HOORAY!)

Continue reading

"Starting Impression is Great"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zapproved full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been with the company for a short period, and my first impression has been great from the interviewing process, onboarding, diversity, transparency + communication, benefits, etc. It is still early on in my employment, but I love coming into work at Zapproved. I had a positive team experience at my previous job as well, but the contrast in job satisfaction simply from being surrounded by a very diverse group of people in terms of gender, ethnicity, work experience and educational backgrounds is striking. Quite frankly, I could never go back to a more homogeneous environment. I love that I was able to jump in and start contributing right away. My manager and teammates are very supportive for the short AND long term in terms of goal-setting and planning. Before coming in, I did check out Glassdoor and was a bit concerned about some of the negative reviews. However, most of those worries have been alleviated since I started working at Zapproved. It is very apparent that there has been a lot of change in the last year at the company, and I'm quite impressed with the transparency I've witnessed as a newcomer. Every company will run into obstacles. I want to work at the company that will adjust their trajectory to overcome obstacles rather than stay rigid. Some notable changes seem to be a strongly agile work approach, adjustments to milestones, and a re-org -- all for the better. Overall, I sense that a lot of people are quite happy working here. I look forward to updating this review after I have been here longer.

Cons

Parking waitlist. However, we will be moving locations next year, and there are benefits to help with this.

7. "Tough challenges, amazing community"

4.0
    Current Employee - G&A

I have been working at Zapproved full-time for more than a year

Pros

- A Community of genuine, smart, and kind people - Dedicated office managers that do the most to make us comfortable/happy - Fast paced environment, lots of growth opportunities - Transparency across all levels - the most I've ever had at a company - Autonomy; no micromanagement - Unlimited PTO & flex work environment

Cons

- Growing pains - trying to meet ambitious goals, adding new coworkers/leadership, trying to improve outdated or ineffective processes, etc. - We don't all fit in our current office, which can be a struggle for some teams that have to collaborate together (but this is changing soon!) - Limited resources

"Tech bro world"

I worked at Zapproved full-time

Pros

Recently remodeled office space Pays well especially sales team

Cons

Quintessential tech bro atmosphere Unfulfilled promises to employees

"Well intentioned, room for growth."

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zapproved full-time for more than a year

Pros

Zapprovians are some of the kindest, smartest, most dedicated colleagues I've worked with. Generally, people really care about their work here and want the team to succeed. We receive many of the perks you'd expect to see at a tech company - snacks, catered team lunches a couple times a month, alcohol, a sparkling water machine, etc. Our benefits are decent and we have access to well discounted TriMet passes. We are known for our DE&I initiatives and community efforts, which are authentic priorities for Zapproved.

Cons

The company is experiencing a wealth of growing pains, we're no longer a start-up but are struggling to establish ourselves as otherwise. Priorities, roadmap, and direction change constantly which leads to a break down of confidence and trust throughout the organization. Opportunities to move up in ones career is hit or miss depending on the department you are a part of.

"Incredibly Positive Experience"

Current Employee - Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zapproved full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience at Zapprioved has been incredibly positive, so much so that I left and came back! (And I'm not the only one who's done that!) I am surrounded by wildly intelligent problem solvers that care about me as a person and want to see me and the greater company succeed. There is SO much room for growth. It is not uncommon for someone to start in a position like Support or Sales and work their way into Engineering or Product. Every manager I've had has advocated for me and helped me succeed. The take what you need vacation policy is amazing - no accruals, no complicated approval process. Managers and senior leaders explicitly encourage time off but take it themselves, so there is an implicit and explicit example being set. Zapproved follows through on its values. My unique perspective is appreciated and valued and I feel like I can really be myself here. The Employee Experience team pours their hearts and souls into creating an inclusive, welcoming environment for everyone. (Crystal and Stephanie are amazing!)

Cons

Zapproved is a tech company - things change. Sometimes change is big and fast and that can be tough. Personally I find it exciting but it might not be your cup of tea. Zapproved isn't perfect. Sometimes the wrong person is hired for a critical position. Sometimes change management isn't handled well. Communication hiccups happen. Where Zapproved differs from other companites I've worked for is that actions are not only taken to correct these sorts of things but prevent them from happening again.

Found 55 reviews