Zayed University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Lubna Al Qasimi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits, nice colleagues, flex work hours (in 8 reviews)

• Dedicated and great colleagues, good professional development opportunities, students are sweet (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Organizing more social events for faculty and staff (in 8 reviews)

• there is no transparency from senior management and the arrogance of the VP and Provost knows no bounds (in 7 reviews)

1. "Asst Professor"

I have been working at Zayed University full-time

Pros

Nice colleagues, wonderful research opportunities

Cons

Always contractual appt for 3 years.

"Asst Professor"

Pros

Good work environment and great students

Cons

Highly centralized decision making process

"operations staff"

I worked at Zayed University full-time

Pros

well meaning staff and diverse group

Cons

housing allowance too small to manage

Advice to Management

listen to staff

"Professor"

Pros

The few students who really want to work hard and are there for a reason

Cons

Majority of students expect easy grades, have a poor working knowledge of English and therefore writing essays is of a challenge. The University needs to build up its credentials with a solid staff however with no salary increases along the path, there is little room for professors to stay long term.

Advice to Management

Once you leave you are out of their system and have 48 hours so save all your contacts!!!

"OK"

Pros

Generous benefits, fun colleagues, many colleagues mean well

Cons

No direction in leadership, no follow through

Advice to Management

Find competent people

"Promises not kept, ill-prepared students"

Pros

Not a thing. Nada. Zilch.

Cons

We went to Abu Dhabi because of the promises of a dean, a former stateside colleague. A major part of her pitch was all the other opportunities for earning, especially for my husband whom she promised would be a major part of Zayed's external seminar and teaching program. In fact, at the first faculty meeting she singled him out as an important asset for the school. Nothing she promised ever came to fruition. He did end up teaching high-level diplomats for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but agreed upon fees were always late, reduced, or argued about after the fact.
    As for myself, I was appalled at the quality of the undergraduates; ill-prepared but quite willing to blatantly cheat and plagiarize. The colleagues I arrived with became disillusioned as quickly as I did, and we shared the same stories of broken promises and indifferent students.
    Colleagues who had been there for a few years fell into two camps: Those too scared to make a peep, and those who toed the party line, and did the dirty work for the sheiks and deans.
    I taught one graduate course, but only after the original curriculum I proposed was completely "dumbed down." I cannot imagine a graduate degree from Zayed having the same academic heft as a typical U.S. high school diploma.
    Their undergraduate degree is utterly worthless, as students are passed along so as not to offend their influential fathers.
    This was a horrid waste of time, and we left in June for a "visit" back home, leaving a fully furnished apartment behind, never to return. It's the only way to do it; tell them you're quitting and the cancel your visa and hold your money hostage. After we left a colleague and his family were booted out of the country with no reason given - and 30 days to clear out!
    I see they've posted job listings for the coming year; hopefully prospective applicants will stop at glassdoor first.

Advice to Management

Shut it down. This place is such a joke the "honest" thing to do would be to pass out diplomas at the door. That's all they're worth.

"Broken Promises"

I have been working at Zayed University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, some smart students, Emirati culture

Cons

Faculty and staff were promised a 5% raise we are yet to see. Contracts are broken for no reason. Getting research funding is a joke.

Though, it is easy to appease the masses. Frustration, anger, and anxiety due to issues neatly summarized in other reviews are now temporarily ameliorated in large part thanks to the upper management's vision of shiny teeth and dental insurance for all. For all, that is, except for the support personnel who are still being treated like slaves and working 12 hour days. ZU has no concept of social responsibility.

Advice to Management

Raise admission standards for students. Decrease faculty teaching load. Provide research support.

"Happy Days are over"

I worked at Zayed University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Family life balance was good. Lots of holiday time and opportunities to travel. PD opportunities

Cons

Management insists on employee feedback only to completely disregard it.

Advice to Management

Nothing to add to what has already been stated on this site.

"Could be Worse"

Pros

Good money, some nice people, good holidays, and none of the competitive posturing you sometimes find at universities whose faculty are proud to be there. Not bad compared to other universities in the region, but people who are expecting a real university will be disappointed, and the disillusionment process can be brutal. That being said, I do think that the faculty here would complain less if they had worked at some of the other educational institutions in the region.

Cons

Though there is theoretically research funding, for one reason and another the time away from teaching, and the grant money, rarely materialize anymore. The students are quite nice, but you can't expect much from most of them -- nor do they expect much from you. Take the job if you don't care too much about working at a real university, need the money, can keep your mouth shut in the face of absurd and self-contradictory policies and decisions, and have a high tolerance for senselessness, busy work, and surveys about happiness, innovation, and workplace satisfaction. Most of the faculty are afraid to tell the truth on these surveys because they don't believe that they are really anonymous, and they fill out glowing surveys for fear of repercussions. Read Kafka for a sense of the transparency regarding institutional structure, policy and process, that you will find. I would say that people in this environment become desensitized to an unusually skewed ratio of appearance to substance, and in general tend over time to become more dishonest, and/ or a bit batty, as a result.

10. "Asst. Professor"

I have been working at Zayed University full-time

Pros

Great faculty and some good benefits.

Cons

Students not well prepared for university, more like junior high school students in ability and focus.

Advice to Management

stop thinking about international accreditation and focus on enriching the students lives.