Zayed University Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Lubna Al Qasimi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Dedicated and great colleagues, good professional development opportunities, students are sweet (in 7 reviews)

• Benefits, nice colleagues, flex work hours (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • At the same time the cost of living increases each year (in 9 reviews)

• Organizing more social events for faculty and staff (in 8 reviews)

"operations staff"

I worked at Zayed University full-time

Pros

well meaning staff and diverse group

Cons

housing allowance too small to manage

Advice to Management

listen to staff

"Asst Professor"

Pros

Good work environment and great students

Cons

Highly centralized decision making process

"Professor"

Pros

The few students who really want to work hard and are there for a reason

Cons

Majority of students expect easy grades, have a poor working knowledge of English and therefore writing essays is of a challenge. The University needs to build up its credentials with a solid staff however with no salary increases along the path, there is little room for professors to stay long term.

Advice to Management

Once you leave you are out of their system and have 48 hours so save all your contacts!!!

"OK"

Pros

Generous benefits, fun colleagues, many colleagues mean well

Cons

No direction in leadership, no follow through

Advice to Management

Find competent people

"Promises not kept, ill-prepared students"

Pros

Not a thing. Nada. Zilch.

Cons

We went to Abu Dhabi because of the promises of a dean, a former stateside colleague. A major part of her pitch was all the other opportunities for earning, especially for my husband whom she promised would be a major part of Zayed's external seminar and teaching program. In fact, at the first faculty meeting she singled him out as an important asset for the school. Nothing she promised ever came to fruition. He did end up teaching high-level diplomats for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but agreed upon fees were always late, reduced, or argued about after the fact.
    As for myself, I was appalled at the quality of the undergraduates; ill-prepared but quite willing to blatantly cheat and plagiarize. The colleagues I arrived with became disillusioned as quickly as I did, and we shared the same stories of broken promises and indifferent students.
    Colleagues who had been there for a few years fell into two camps: Those too scared to make a peep, and those who toed the party line, and did the dirty work for the sheiks and deans.
    I taught one graduate course, but only after the original curriculum I proposed was completely "dumbed down." I cannot imagine a graduate degree from Zayed having the same academic heft as a typical U.S. high school diploma.
    Their undergraduate degree is utterly worthless, as students are passed along so as not to offend their influential fathers.
    This was a horrid waste of time, and we left in June for a "visit" back home, leaving a fully furnished apartment behind, never to return. It's the only way to do it; tell them you're quitting and the cancel your visa and hold your money hostage. After we left a colleague and his family were booted out of the country with no reason given - and 30 days to clear out!
    I see they've posted job listings for the coming year; hopefully prospective applicants will stop at glassdoor first.

Advice to Management

Shut it down. This place is such a joke the "honest" thing to do would be to pass out diplomas at the door. That's all they're worth.

"Broken Promises"

I have been working at Zayed University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, some smart students, Emirati culture

Cons

Faculty and staff were promised a 5% raise we are yet to see. Contracts are broken for no reason. Getting research funding is a joke.

Though, it is easy to appease the masses. Frustration, anger, and anxiety due to issues neatly summarized in other reviews are now temporarily ameliorated in large part thanks to the upper management's vision of shiny teeth and dental insurance for all. For all, that is, except for the support personnel who are still being treated like slaves and working 12 hour days. ZU has no concept of social responsibility.

Advice to Management

Raise admission standards for students. Decrease faculty teaching load. Provide research support.

"Happy Days are over"

I worked at Zayed University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Family life balance was good. Lots of holiday time and opportunities to travel. PD opportunities

Cons

Management insists on employee feedback only to completely disregard it.

Advice to Management

Nothing to add to what has already been stated on this site.

"No faculty governance"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Zayed University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The vast majority of my students are great! Most are committed to working to make the UAE the best country in the world. When properly engaged, they are inquisitive and focused.
    Great faculty around the university. The cohort model used during orientation for new faculty creates bonds amongst faculty in different departments that are lasting.
    Great country! The UAE is probably the best country in the world, albeit not without problems.
    Minimal taxes and housing allowances create competitive salaries and quality lifestyles.
    Fair online library with easy access to full text journals and e-books.
    Great modern environment and smart classrooms.

Cons

Currently (2017) no longer any faculty input into decision making. All decisions, including curricular, are made by the deans and one elected faculty member from each campus.
    No job security. Any contract can be, and they often are, cancelled with 6 months notice, no reason needed. If you are not Emirati, you will have to leave some day (but you know that coming in)
    Heavy teaching loads (4-4) with minimal release time for research or administrative duties.
    Research expectations inconsistent with high teaching loads
    A lot of last minute 'hurry up and do this'. This is often coupled with...
    A lot of time invested in projects requested by admin who then just seem to lose interest or move into a different direction so the work is no longer needed.
    All sections of a course must use identical syllabi, textbooks, content and assessments.
    Most faculty underestimate our students' abilities and I often hear talk about 'dumbing things down' for the students, which is offensive
    Tensions between Abu Dhabi faculty and Dubai faculty.

Advice to Management

Stop your top-down control of the educational components of the university. Embrace faculty input. Tell the truth and be more transparent. Provide a minimal sense of job security by not terminating contracts except for legitimate (and stated) cause. Put money into study abroad opportunities for our students. Increase funding for students to present their research internationally. Make it easier for guest speakers to come to campus (I could have the same person lecture to my class using distance technology without anyone's approval but I wanted them to lecture in person, I would have to go through a lengthy process to get approval).

"Rotten from the top down"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Zayed University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus, nice offices, the colleagues who stand their ground and speak up are nice... those who have been there a long time share a history of knowing how great ZU used to be

Cons

Where do you start... there is no transparency from senior management and the arrogance of the VP and Provost knows no bounds. How the Provost can stand up in town hall meetings and lie to a room full of of faculty is beyond credulity. She says she has an open door policy but that only applies to those who say things she wants to hear. Deans wield unwarranted power and they don’t listen to anything faculty have to say, decisions are made that affect people’s lives with no no consideration to how it affects those around them. Worst of all is that hard working faculty are punished for the few who milk the system, so all faculty have to teach four days per week because some faculty only came in in the two days they taught them went home or worked as consultants... another example of punishing everyone is the ridiculous PD week which everyone hates but has to endure simply because some people didn’t come in during the first non-teaching week... how nice would it be if faculty were just left to their devices and were left to have a week of preparation or research without onerous meaningless meetings, but would mean trusting faculty which just does not happen. Shared governance is a talking point but that is all it is. The trio of the CAO, the VP and the Provost should all hang their heads in shame for taking what was once a brilliant place to work to a place of despair.

Advice to Management

There is no point, they don’t listen and don’t care.

"The worst provost and Assoc provost of research"

Former Employee - Professor in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
    Former Employee - Professor in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

I worked at Zayed University (More than 5 years)

Pros

Zilch, nada none there aren't any.

Cons

Worst provost in the history, She is an American white lady in her 70s who desperately wants to please Emirati employers. Her reputation among the faculty members is so bad. She is considered as someone who lies a lot. The Associate Provost for research has not published anything in the last 15 years his sole motivation for coming to Zayed was to recruit more Mormons. That tells you something about this place doesn't it. The president is a woman who apparently is so busy that she has left everything to a VP about whom I can say without a doubt that he doesn't even have an ability to draft a simple email.

Advice to Management

You should all be sent to prison for your worst illegal acts.