ZipRecruiter Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
ZipRecruiter Co-Founder & CEO Ian Siegel
Ian Siegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company pays well and also provides excellent benefits like stock options and fully paid health insurance (in 8 reviews)

• ZipRecruiter means what they say about work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is working to build a "world class sales organization" when in reality it's just a world class joke (in 9 reviews)

• A lot of times it creases confusion for the sales team (in 5 reviews)

1. "This company is a Rocket Ship, going to new heights..."

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at ZipRecruiter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Innovative products that work great
    - Fun, energized work environment
    - Smart and motivated people that are encouraged to acknowledge the contributions of others
    - Excellent benefits (Healthcare, 401K, stocked kitchen, Team Building events, Volunteer Time off)

Cons

- Aggressive goals in a highly competitive industry (not necessarily a bad thing)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - it's working!

2. "Great place to work and grow"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at ZipRecruiter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits: Full PPO health insurance paid for entire family, 401k matching, unlimited vacation, annual bonuses, excellent maternity and paternity leave, meals and snacks, and more.

- Startup vibe but with more job security: Despite growing in size over the past several years, the company strives to keep a fast pace, innovation, and a startup feel while having secure financial health and business economics.

- Strategic leadership: Tech industry veterans with lots of experience and thoughtful business strategy.

- High caliber peers: Working with really smart people that I get to learn from everyday.

- Interesting problems to solve

- Autonomy

- Data-driven decision making

- Ability to see how my contribution impacts the greater business objectives

- Working near the beach

- Excellent work-life balance

- Annual reviews

Cons

- None that I can think of

Advice to Management

- Continue to focus on the ability to be agile and innovative as we grow
    - Continue to think about how we communicate internally as we grow teams and the business becomes more complex

3. "Existing Account Manager"

I have been working at ZipRecruiter full-time

Pros

The company is currently growing so there is a lot of room for growth and development. The company offers amazing salary growth as you move up into different roles and is currently increasing efforts to make this happen.

Cons

Goals have recently gone up significantly, so the ability to increase salary in a sales position has become more difficult. However, if you ignore negativity and have the expertise to sharpen your skills by reaching out to the people that are succeeding, this challenge becomes less difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue the training across the floor, especially to new employees who have never worked a role like this before.

4. "The Product gets better every month"

Current Employee - Product Management in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at ZipRecruiter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy to work for a company where they are so focused on improving the product. Proud to be contributing to such a clearly defined vision. We fill jobs.

Cons

Growth pains. Offices in many different locations means an increasing number of meetings are by hangout vs face to face. Company is metrics driven (and sometimes painfully so.) Every time comp plans for sales are changed there is heavy turnover.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the product and the culture. Invest in travel budget so people can build face to face relationships.

"Not worth it anymore"

Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ZipRecruiter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture
    Tech brand name resume equity

Cons

Inability to contribute
    Slow growth opps
    Only care about bottom line revenue
    More of a you're replaceable attitude from Seniors

Advice to Management

More to Founders (one in particular) on your next venture, stop racing to drive bottom line and pretend you're doing great in the world. Pay people more. Be careful of many of your borderline illegal practices. Quit the tech bro culture, lot of people w substance issues and the culture promotes it. Getting close to serious lawsuit.

ZipRecruiter Response

Jan 19, 2018 – SVP, Sales

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback, and I’m sorry to hear this was your experience. At ZipRecruiter, we work hard to create a culture where everyone feels welcomed, valued, and... More

"Reception/administrative/sales"

Former Employee - Reception/Administrative/Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Reception/Administrative/Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ZipRecruiter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The clients were wonderful to work with

Cons

Chaotic, disrespectful, unprofessional, lack of integrity, poor management

Advice to Management

Threats, intimidation, micro managing, disrespect, unrealustic expectations do not produce happy employees

"Upper Management Wants You To Fail"

Former Employee - Existing Sales Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Existing Sales Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at ZipRecruiter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers that want to help you succeed.
    Free lunch
    Unlimited PTO
    Free Benefits

Cons

ZipRecruiter was a great company and an amazing opportunity when I first started there. As the time passed things started to go down...quickly.

Accounts were being taken from the majority of sales reps without much explanation or warning. Goals for talk time and sales quota change consistently with little warning. This is especially true after a time when accounts were "redistributed". They push this idea of being a consultant for your clients but throw this idea out the window when they take away all the accounts you have been working on for months. You are told to consistently call accounts sometimes the same account up to 3 or 4 times a day. This used to be a sales job that I enjoyed, but I quickly found myself becoming a telemarketer and dreaded every day I had to go in.

Upper management makes zero effort to help you with any situation since you can be easily replaced. When changes were made and questioned, upper management would not comment on the situation.

As far as growth goes within the company, don't bet on it. Rather than promote from within to have someone lead a team that already knows the product and how to sell it properly they bring in external management who do not know what they are doing.

If you want a fulfilling career in sales, avoid this place at all costs.

Advice to Management

Communicate with the sales floor about changes and why they are happening. Pushing the fact that you want reps to be a consultant for their book of business and then taking that book of business away with little to no warning is not okay and should not be a practice that happens regularly.

Start appreciating your sales team and they work that they do for you instead of beating them down month after month.

"Screwed me out of a career path and compensation for my work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at ZipRecruiter full-time

Pros

- Free lunch
    - Free snacks
    - Free health/dental/vision

Cons

- Claims integrity is a core value, but shows none
    - Makes promises to employees for doing additional work outside of normal responsibilites, then finds a way to not pay you.
    - Office politics run rampant in Tempe. If you speak up, or don't agree, then good luck working there.

Advice to Management

You promised me a career path if the special project I worked on was picked up by ZR, which it was. Then I wasn't given the career path for unknown reason. Then I was told after bringing it up to HR that I would be compensated on the sales during the test project to make up for it. Then the very next day told me, we are taking back the offer, because you don't have anything in writing. Luckily, I didn't sign the arbitration agreement. To potential investors, if you are smart, you will stay away.

"Growing pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at ZipRecruiter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive/fair salary/wages, plentiful snacks, free breakfast (M-W-F), Santa Monica-central location, and (depending on your department) nice co-workers. Benefits are good too (with the exception of dental explained in Cons). In addition, depending on your department, WFH perks.

Once again, I want to reiterate that dependent on your department, your manager and co-workers can be the nicest and coolest people in Los Angeles. This includes the person who audits these Glassdoor reviews. (Hi! If you're reading this.)

Cons

For those who are practicing their due diligence and reading Glassdoor reviews first prior to applying/accepting an offer, please note this company will lie to your face.

For my specific position, I asked my manager why there was a similar position listed on the careers site. They lied and said they had no idea what was going on. Weeks later I was laid off. This may be specific to my department but please note they will play games with you.

Dental benefit is strange. It's the type you have to self-report and pay upfront first and then get reimbursed. So if the dental insurance does not cover a procedure you had done it's going to have to be out-of-pocket.

It's no secret ZipRecruiter is gunning for the big boys like Indeed. However, greed does not equate to a motivated and good working environment. C-level is desperately trying to go public. Thus the entry-level and sales employees are under heavy pressure to perform. If you are an employee from one of the early days and/or just this amazing/perfect worker, you will do well in this environment.

Read those sales position reviews below. If a company treats their bottom-level employees like that, how are they going to treat you?

Advice to Management

Sometimes honesty is the best policy. These are people's livelihoods being played with. Although product/engineering peeps are the most important towards a great product, don't forget the other players that shape the service, brand, and your salaries.

ZipRecruiter Response

Nov 28, 2017

I appreciate the time you took to share this feedback. At ZipRecruiter, we work hard to create a culture that is transparent, open and direct, where everyone has a voice and diversity of thought is... More

"I spent 1.5 years at ZipRecuiter that I'd never take back!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at ZipRecruiter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a ton! From free health benefits to catered lunches to a leadership team that makes every effort possible to connect individually with even the most entry level positions. I've seen a lot of negative comments in the past that occurred in the midst of a change but I'd bet that a lot of those would be taken back within a month of when the change occurred. This company tries to innovate even at the employee level, they also recognize when those changes don't benefit everyone and adjust if not. I've worked at many companies and this was the best I've ever worked for.

Cons

It's an ever changing organization so you have to learn to roll with what gets thrown at you. Something may occur that is viewed as being a negative but give it time, if it truly is it will get fixed.

Advice to Management

Continue to be employee focused and remember how important culture was to the shared succes of the company. Never stop cultivating that side even while fine tuning the revenue model. Also, take the person currently acting as facilities/office manager/go to for everything, and give her a big title and salary bump! Nothing has ever been more deserved. Overall though, management at this company knows what they're doing and do it well. Final suggestion, move the manager comp upward, there are too good of leaders to let them get pillaged.