iCore Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
iCore Networks CEO, Chairman & Founder Stephen G. Canton
Stephen G. Canton

Pros
  • s great to be aligned with a growing company which offers career development paths for its employees (in 3 reviews)

• Everyday and every minute is something new (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours make work life balance difficult (in 12 reviews)

"I love iCore Networks!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at iCore Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office atmosphere. Free coffee and sometimes snacks. Gym free for employees.

Cons

None so far so good

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Great company, but lacks management"

Former Employee - Cloud Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Cloud Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at iCore Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Technology
    + Friendly and helpful co-workers

Cons

- Long hours
    - Lack of management and policies
    - No bonuses

Advice to Management

* Add more knowledgeable employees

"ENGINEERS BEWARE!!!!! Don't drink the Kool Aid!!!! Great for sales!"

Former Employee - Cloud Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Cloud Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at iCore Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to negotiate a nice salary and bonus (on Paper). There is a lot of energy and initially perceived positivism. It took a lot for me to find something good to say about this company honestly. Icore gave me the checklist I now carry for traits and tendencies I refuse to accept at my place of business. This is a place that will help you fully appreciate it when you get somewhere great!!!

Cons

This place is nothing more than a sales machine. They send non-technical sales personnel to essentially architect their solutions and throw a massive jumble of ridiculous demands on your lap that are not possible given the circumstances and refuse to address critical issues and potential points of failure. They have a just do it attitude (Engineering doesn't work that way). They will not have platform changes properly vetted they just buy third party products that are not right for their environment and install them instead of doing their own integration work. They WILL. Repeat WILL; ask you to lie to clients that are experiencing difficulties with their service which will reflect badly on you after you wise up and leave. You will be asked to engage and assist in perpetuating their questionable accounting practices also. This company has the most hacked together platform I have ever experienced and a low uptime rate. They refuse the wisdom of their engineering team and collaboration is frowned upon, creativity is condemned, and how/why are questions that will get you in some trouble here (because most don't know). And that salary; Cut it in half because of the hours you wind up putting in. You also have almost no hope of receiving the negotiated bonus. They will work you for two days straight to try to cover their image internal to the company in order to keep the confidence of the sales staff; without really implementing the huge amount of changes they need to create a stable cloud platform; so nothing is getting better. The director has a frat boy mentality and will throw his team under the bus at a whim. Don't let them sell you a job; or do the choice is yours.

Advice to Management

Everyone buying into the scheme you are selling will be the demise of what could be a good company. With yes men all around nobody progresses. If you can't be honest about things you are doing you probably shouldn't be doing them. Paying attention to details is not optional in engineering. Last but not least stop the questionable accounting practices (counting chickens before they hatch).

"Runnnnnnn Away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

You can learn alot and gain knowledge.

Cons

No compensation. Overworked. No family time or a life if you work here. Salary looks good on paper, but once you are working 24 hours a day, you are making way less. Not worth it.

"Run!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at iCore Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commission structure is really good - higher than competitors. If you're in sales you can make a lot of money.
    Nice office space.
    Colleagues are mostly pretty cool.
    Benefits package is stellar.

Cons

This is the absolute worst work environment I have ever witnessed. First of all, expect to work extremely long hours every single day - if you have a family, RUN! This is only feasible for individuals who are either A.) Single, or B.) Fresh out of college and don't know any better.
    Secondly, management will try and motivate you by telling you how disposable you are and how everyone who has ever left practically begs to come back because it really is "the best job you will ever have" and it takes leaving the company to realize it. The truth is, you are 100% disposable, but no one wants to come back because any company is better than this place. Personally, I've never found this to be motivating - just stressful...more stressful than what it's actually worth.
    This is the epitome of a boys club - sorry ladies, you will have to work a full day while the gentlemen go golfing, or drinking, or whatever else they can find to do. You can also expect to see men get promoted really fast...females, good luck.

Lastly, those positive reviews you see on here are all fake - marketing requests people to write positive reviews to bring the rating up (notice that the posting dates are all within the same few days? That's not a coincidence.)

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees, you'll make even more money if your team actually wants to work for you.

"If you like going door to door this is for you"

Former Employee - Account Executive in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in McLean, VA

I worked at iCore Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They start you out at an ok salary.

Cons

Everything, they want you to advance within the company but you have to walk door to door ALL DAY to do it. There is minimal training and honestly it was one of the worst jobs I ever had. Yes some sales position you have to walk door to door, but you lie to people in order to gain their business and feel terrible about yourself.

Advice to Management

Invest on you back end in order to support the loyal customers instead of just running through them.

"I've done more in 2 years on the job than most can do in 5 years, elsewhere"

Current Employee - Product Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at iCore Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job challenges are always present, but they accelerate my career quickly with all of the on-the-job experience I get. I get to travel to multiple markets and learn the trends, competitors and opportunities in each of them.

Cons

It's easy to work 50-60 hour weeks when you're dedicated to getting the job done.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture alive as you grow and expand to other markets

"Great Overall"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in McLean, VA

I have been working at iCore Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the work environment. For me it is important to work with a management team and co-workers who are willing to work together to maximize output and really get work done, I found those people at iCore.

Cons

I didn't want to work at iCore long term, so I left. It is a great company to work for for a few years but the upward mobility isn't what it should be. I guess the managers they have are so good why change a bad thing when it works. Just wasn't a good long term career option for me.

"Enticing at first, but I was never more ready to leave"

I worked at iCore Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Young, hip culture. iCore tends to hire recent grads as they tend to be more eager, willing and hard working. CEO likes to use slang terminology. Music blasting after 4PM in the Sales Dept.
    -Free breakfast Wednesdays during All-hands meeting with the entire company
    -Reward and recognition. iCore awards top performers with plaques, fancy dinners, tropical getaways, and sometimes monetary compensation.
    -Company/team events. Holiday party, summer outing, in-office happy hours, monthly close-out pizza and beer.
    -Occasional sporting event tickets are up for grabs if Sales doesn't need them
    -Rapidly expanding offices in other major cities, opportunity to relocate if you're good enough
    -Onboarding/training process is comparable.
    -Hire generally above average-looking employees

Cons

-Recruitment process is 3 interviews. Initial, meeting with director, day in the field, and meeting with CEO or President.
    -13-14 hour work days are normal/daily. Work-life balance is nearly non-existent.
    -Starting base pay is very, very low. Even after negotiations, a $5000 increase ONLY after 6 months performance review.
    -"Coordinators" are basically personal assistants to the directors.
    -Two weeks PTO (vacation, sick, family leave).
    -Although high-energy, environment is always in an "emergency" state. MUST pick up phone on the first ring, MUST respond to e-mails right away, MUST come back to office immediately at the director's beck and call.
    -Sales Director pins subordinates against each other. Encouraging aggressive, hostile working circumstances. Almost too competitive. Many instances of crying in the office.
    -Sales team promises this and that to the client, but unable to deliver due to lack of technical skills/understaffed by the engineer team.
    -Sales team is the almighty. Anything goes for them.
    -A lot of office gossip and inter-office dating, hooking up.
    -Stressful, stressful STRESSFUL.

Advice to Management

Nothing left to say.

Good riddance!

"Fast-Paced Rewarding Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at iCore Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High-energy, fast paced, opportunities to learn and grow with the company. There is a focus on becoming better every day, and growing the company. If you work hard and perform at or above expectations, promotions and salary increases are yours for the taking.

Cons

Very busy place to work. You start early and leave late, but in the corporate world, that's the norm. You aren't going to "make it" by working 6 hours a day. This place is for the serious employee only. As they say, if you want a career, this is the place for you. If you just want a job, you won't last/make it. Due to it's fast growth, some things fall through the cracks, but they are aware of that and are constantly working to improve/fix/get better.

Advice to Management

More structure/controls/processes in place to better control/manage the phenomenal growth of the company.