3D Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3D Systems Interview Questions

Updated Oct 26, 2017

2.5

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at 3D Systems in July 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the SQA manager, then a phone interview with one of the engineers from SQA, then an on-site interview time was setup. During the on-site interview portion, I was interviewed in three sessions: (1) with the SQA manager and an HR personel, (2) the engineer I had the phone interview with plus a second SQA engineer, (3) some of the other engineering staff that I would be interacting with. Following that interview, I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you worked with someone you didn't get along with.   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rock Hill, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 3D Systems (Rock Hill, SC) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was made up of three separate sessions of two interviewers each. Each sessions lasted approximately 30 minutes. Each panel's questions were very similar to the other.

Interview Questions

• With your qualifications, why do you desire a lower level position?   1 Answer
    • Being someone that has a military career, how will you adjust to having to perform the work instead of delegating your work.   1 Answer

Oct 10, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

I appreciate you for sharing your feedback from your interview experience. I’m truly sorry that one of our interview questions caused offense. That was clearly not our intention and your feedback... More

Industrial Automation & Controls Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3D Systems (San Diego, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with three people.

My first interview was with the Advanced R&D Director, Metal Printing. He was mostly interested in project management and working in a team environment. It was a very cordial interview, but he was obviously disappointed that I did not have the level of project management experience that he was looking for.

My second interview was with a mechanical engineer on the team. He started off by telling me everything that was wrong with the company. How there was no central repository for computer code and the fact that there was no drawing numbering system. He went on to explain that the new CEO was moving the company to San Diego because he did not want to be in South Carolina. Most of his questions were related to my college experience from 30 years ago. He asked why had changed my degree major from mechanical engineering to electrical engineering. This was an interrogation and not an interview. He came across as an arrogant college degree snob.

My third interview was with an Industrial Automation and Controls Engineer. He was very professional and I was impressed with his technical skills. We shared a lot in common and I would have enjoyed working with him.

Interview Questions

• The Advanced R&D Director, Metal Printing was very interested in my ability to work within a team. Could I get along with a diverse group of people from different cultures?   1 Answer

Jun 2, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

Hello. I want to personally respond on behalf of the company regarding your interview experience at 3D Systems.

I’m sorry to hear about your second interview experience. It certainly does not... More

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 3D Systems in April 2017.

Interview

I applied through my university to their entry level position. I then had two phone interviews. The first was with HR talking about my experience and why I wanted to work for 3D Systems. The second interview was with an engineer on the team I would have joined. The second interview was all technical questions and it was only 30 minutes. With more time I might have done better. The questions were fair but definitely not trivial. Overall, I thought everyone I spoke with was kind and respectful of my time. They responded to my emails quickly and let me know they weren't going to bring me on for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain the forces that are acting on a block while it slides down a ramp.   1 Answer

Jun 2, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your interview experience with the company. It is great to hear that you found my 3D Systems colleagues to be kind, respectful and responsive and that you... More

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at 3D Systems (Littleton, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

Overall it was an easy interview and very relaxed setting. I had one phone interview and then in-person interviews with four employees. A lot of the interviews were really just talking about my life, my interests, and describe one line on my resume that makes me qualified for the job.

Interview Questions

• If you had a part with many overhang angles and no matter which way the part is oriented, there are overhangs that won't print well, what would suggest as a solution?   1 Answer

Nov 17, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

Hello and thank you for sharing your interview feedback on Glassdoor. I'm glad to hear your hiring experience was positive and I appreciate your outside the box answer to the interview question you... More

Biomedical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3D Systems (Littleton, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

After applying online, I was asked to come in for a brief (15-20 min), in-person, screening interview where I was told a little more about what the job would entail, we reviewed my resume, and I had a chance to ask questions. The first interview was 1-on-1 with the person who would have been my immediate boss, had I been hired (the head of VSP Orthognathics).

After this first interview, I was asked to come back for a second interview. During the first part of the second interview, the same person I met with in the first interview took me on a tour of the facility and explained a bit more about how the company works and the overall project flow (the stages of development that each case goes through). For the second part of the interview, I sat down with a total of 4 people (the head of VSP Orthognathics, the head of VSP overall, the VP of Devices, and the Director of Operations for 3DS Healthcare). I was told that since this position requires interacting with surgeons, some of the higher-ups wanted a say in who filled it. This part of the interview was more of a traditional interview. The questions focused on digging into my experience as it related to the core job functions (tell us more about your imaging experience, education, presentation / communication experience...) and my fit with the company culture (helping, asking for help as needed, what do you like to do for fun...). We also discussed some of the demands / challenges of the job (long hours during the busy seasons, dealing with rude or unhappy customers...) to make sure I was prepared for that. I also had an opportunity to ask my questions. The general atmosphere of the interview was relatively relaxed. Everyone I met with was very nice and friendly.

It took a little over 3 weeks to hear back after the second interview, which was odd after the first 2 interviews happened within a week of each other. I didn't get any responses to the follow-up emails that I sent. But I did eventually get a form email back telling me they were not going to pursue me for the position, which was at least some closure / resolution.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you helped someone / a group of people.   Answer Question

Internal Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rock Hill, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at 3D Systems (Rock Hill, SC) in January 2017.

Interview

My interview process was pretty straightforward. I had a call from a recruiter, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. I was then brought in for face-to-face interviews with the hiring manager and three other people onsite, with a final follow up with the recruiter again. I received an offer a few days after the face-to-face interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was presented with an internal video that was in process and asked to provide my thoughts on editing it.   1 Answer

Sep 11, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

Thank you for sharing your experience of interviewing at 3D Systems and congratulations on your offer. We're so glad to have you on the team.

Kind regards,
    Nicole Helprin, VP Culture and... More

Technical Support Engineer/Biomedical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at 3D Systems (Littleton, CO) in November 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for 2 positions for 2 groups within the company, but each one was different so I'll split them up:

The process for first position was pretty typical: I applied, got a 30 minute phone screen a week later, followed by an in-person interview a week after that. The interview had multiple stages: one with the VP, one with a director and an engineer, and the last with an engineer and an HR person. They asked pretty standard questions, no curveball questions. However, they flat out told me I was a poor candidate for the position after the interview, but to still have hope as upper management might think differently. Wtf? Afterwards, they strung me out for 5 weeks before sending an automated email saying I didn't get the position. They weren't responsive to my biweekly follow ups either.

The second position called me in for an in person interview over a month after I submitted for the position. At first I assumed the person I interviewed with skipped the phone screen because I'd interviewed there before, but turns out he only talked to me for 20 minutes and that interview served the purpose of the phone screen. WTF?? Why make me drive over an hour to get there and take time off of work if you could've just phone screened me first?? And of course, despite my biweekly follow ups I haven't heard from him in a month. It was insulting since I had a special skill necessary for the position that he said none of his other candidates had and that I was a top candidate. Luckily I got another better job offer elsewhere that I took so he screwed himself over. I sure won't be working for him!

To sum it up, 3D systems doesn't seem to have any respect for its candidates as it strings them out with little communication after interviews. They also waste their candidates' time by either bringing in candidates that turn out to be a poor fit or by doing stupid stuff like conducting a phone screen in person. I won't be applying to their open positions in the future.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions: What are your weaknesses? What do you think makes you a good candidate? Blah blah blah.   Answer Question

Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at 3D Systems.

Interview

An application, phone screening by HR, phone interview by hiring manager, and then face to face with multiple people. Some who were so removed from my area they did not know what to ask. After 2 weeks an offer was made. It was so low with less then standard industry benefits that I rejected it.

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at 3D Systems (Golden, CO).

Interview

Sat down with 3 peer Engineers to discuss my background, experience. we talked about culture and work. Seemed pretty easy, they need workers there because of the busy winter season where you will work 12 hour days but only be compensated for you salary. High turnaround so beware!

Interview Questions

• How much design work have you done and can you tell me an example? what types of software did you uses? Auditing questions.   Answer Question