3D Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3D Systems President & CEO Vyomesh Joshi
Vyomesh Joshi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management difficult to work with (in 11 reviews)

• Not much room for growth or advancement (in 6 reviews)

1. "Product Marketing Manager"

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The marketing team has great worldwide opportunities.

Cons

As with all large companies, there is a ton of red tape and the ratio of management to employee is way too high.

Jan 2, 2018 – Director, Culture and Engagement

Thank you for sharing your experience at 3D Systems and I'm thrilled that you see worldwide opportunities to learn and grow. I hope you grab hold of many opportunities in 2018! Regarding your... More

"Awesome"

I worked at 3D Systems full-time

Pros

Awesome company to work for

Cons

way too much travel. no time for a family life

Advice to Management

Hire more people your killing the ones you have with too much travel

3. "Better future"

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time

Pros

The company has changed a lot ever since the new CEO took helm! Excellent technology. Fast growing company

Cons

Some colleagues just don't wanna be part of change and are dragging the team morale down!

Advice to Management

Recognize the talented and hardworking folks n retain the experienced with tribal knowledge.

Jan 2, 2018 – Director, Culture and Engagement

Dear Anonymous, this is great feedback - thank you! I'm glad you see the changes since VJ took the helm and that you're excited by the technology. Those are definitely both big positives... More

"Could be Worse I Guess.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, interesting, and rapidly growing

Cons

underpaid, management is the biggest cause for stress.

Advice to Management

Stop making promises you can't keep to customers and employees.

"Biomedical Designer"

Current Employee - Biomedical Designer in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Biomedical Designer in Littleton, CO

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

they are trying to do better by us

Cons

i'm not sure their efforts are really working

Advice to Management

comparable pay please

"Massive Disruptive Changes - and not good ones..."

Former Employee - Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Former Employee - Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I worked at 3D Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chuck Hull, the inventor of 3D Printing, is still active at the company.
    They still have the broadest product portfolio of all major 3D Printer manufacturers.
    Some of their printers are the best in their class - SLA, SLS, & CJP technologies.
    There are still some great people working in the non-executive levels of the company that care deeply about the company and their products.

Cons

The company is still working to repair damage caused by the former CEO (Reichental) during a wave of mostly unintegrated M&A activity several years ago.
    The new CEO (Joshi) has, in effect, moved the corporate HQ and some R&D from Rock Hill to San Diego and has spent millions of dollars to do so.
    The new CEO has spent millions of dollars to hire his former colleagues and staff from HP, many of which have failed in their new roles.
    Their product portfolio is too broad to be able to compete with single product-focused companies and start-ups due to lack of sufficient R&D budget.
    Company morale is very low. There has been significant "brain-drain" from the company due to the new CEO's replacement of most of the senior leadership team with former HP employees and an overall failure of the new CEO and his HP team to listen to advice from 3DS employees.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees - really listening, not acting like you are listening and then going ahead and doing what you were planning anyway. Stop hiring and overpaying your former HP staff because you don't want to take the time to get to know the current employees. Stop wasting company and shareholder resources/money by building redundant facilities in San Diego when you haven't fully utilized your existing footprint. If you are going to move the company HQ or shut down other global sites, get on with it and stop wasting company resources and spending money. Rationalize the product portfolio to be competitive - make hard decisions, kill off some products, and exit some markets so you can better pool and allocate R&D dollars.

"Challenging Interesting Work Well Worth Doing"

Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At 3D Systems I do Systems Engineering research in how to 3D print human organs such as the lung. It is very interesting and highly challenging, but it enables working toward making a valuable contribution to people's health and people's ability to living a full life.

Cons

The only downside to working at 3D Systems is the same one I would experience in any job - spending some of the best hours of every week working rather than being with family and children, or pursuing adventures you've always wanted to do but never had time.

Advice to Management

Continue to fund 3D printing research in many new areas such as health care and printing of metals and other new materials, and make 3D Systems the leader in innovation.

Nov 17, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

First, thank you for sharing your personal and professional experience at 3D Systems. I'm thrilled to hear your perspective of "challenging and interesting work that is well worth doing" because... More

"Mechanical Designer"

Pros

Great technology and great people

Cons

NO at all all all

Advice to Management

more clear strategy

Nov 17, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

Thank you for your feedback. I agree with you that we have great technology and great people! And I appreciate your request for more clarity on our strategy. I'll share that with the leadership... More

9. "New"

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time

Pros

Great flexibility in the hours you work.

Cons

May have limited room for career growth

Nov 7, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

Welcome to 3D Systems! I encourage you to talk to your manager about your interests and career aspirations from the beginning so that he/she is aware and can help you develop in your new role. We... More

"Customer Innovation Center - Denver (Metals)"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Littleton, CO

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my facility, the average employee age is less than 35 and that 'youthful' energy reflected in the work culture. The facility location is great (right by the mountains) and the work atmosphere is generally optimistic. My team works very well together and we get many opportunities to test the machines to their limits. My work is technically challenging and I get to work on project in a different industrial sector nearly every few days. As a metallurgist by training, I personally enjoy the exposure to a myriad of structure ferrous and non-ferrous materials.

Cons

I work with sales representatives a lot; because they do not understand the technical aspects of additive manufacturing, sometimes we are expected and pressured to complete impractical or unnecessary printing jobs. Regarding the company on the whole, it is very obvious higher management cares mostly about numbers and making money.

Advice to Management

Allow the 'little people' to have a say in planning and requesting resources that are needed to expand and grow. In less than a year I have seen many situations in which we needed more equipment or manpower but the ones who make those decisions never consult the employees who need the resources.

Oct 31, 2017 – VP, Culture and Engagement

Hello and thank you for your feedback. I share your observation about the vibrant energy at our Denver location.

Regarding your comments about resources, I encourage you to be proactive and talk... More