AES Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.9

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AES Corporation (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I was strung out, told I was the favorite/final candidate, brought on site, told I did well. Then told I was too young (they knew my age on day 1).

Senior Financial Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AES Corporation (Indianapolis, IN) in November 2016.

Interview

In total, the process took about two weeks from the time I applied until they made an offer. I submitted my resume via Indeed.com for a different role. However, they called me about the Systems Analyst role. The interview was with the Manager and Controller together.

Interview Questions

• Questions were focused on my experience and how it fit with the role I was interviewing for. It was relaxed and very straight forward. No odd or behavioral based questions.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at AES Corporation.

Interview

Phone Interview for one hour, asked about some basic behavior questions.The interview was only scheduled for about an hour, and finished in about an hour. mainly walked through resume and explained accomplishments to them, and answered a few questions. I asked some questions as well. I received an offer a few days after the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at AES Corporation.

Interview

The interview was only scheduled for about an hour, and we were finished in about an hour. I mainly walked through my resume and explained my accomplishments to them, and answered a few questions. I asked some questions as well. I received an offer a few days after the interview.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AES Corporation.

Interview

The first interview was via telephone with the HR rep. The second interview was also via phone, and was with a panel of three interviewers. The third interview was face-to-face, and consisted of five people. The fourth interview was another face-to-face, and consisted of four people. At the last interview I was told that it was between myself and another applicant, and they would be making their decision within 3-4 days.

I believe it was five days later, I telephoned the HR rep to follow up, was told that they were discussing it right then, and I could expect a call shortly. I called two days later after receiving a call from AES (no message was left), and spoke with the HR rep and was told I would be called "right back". About a week after that, I received a very generic email saying that they had received my resume and that other candidates better fit their needs. I thought this was extremely unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioral questions, why do you want to work here, those types of things.   Answer Question

Administration Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AES Corporation.

Interview

Initial communications were very streamlined; I knew where I was going, when and who to contact. The entire process was very simple and straightforward. I was notified of with whom I would be interviewing in advance, so it gave me an opportunity to do some background research on the people who would be interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I wanted to stay in the position I was being considered for long-term. Mind you, the position was entry-level and when previously been asked what my 5 and 10-year goals were, they would not be in line to answering this question as 'yes.'   Answer Question

Technical Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AES Corporation (Arlington, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

Following several rounds of over-the-phone interviews, I came onsite for two full days of in-person interviews. Once we cleared the technical hurdles, I felt AES put a tremendous amount of effort in determining if I was an appropriate cultural fit (hardworking, sense of humor, honest, multi-cultural, mission driven, safety focused, etc.) By the end of the process, it was obvious I fit right in with their culture, and I was offered a job.

Interview Questions

• How do you emphasize a safety-first attitude in your own life?   Answer Question

Sales Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AES Corporation (Roanoke, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process is a three step process. The company seemed to be very friendly and my professional, however it was not a position that I desired.

Location and position not desirable

Senior Financial Analyst, Corporate FP&A Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AES Corporation (Arlington, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Contacted by Hiring Manager (VP) for telephonic conversation. Standard questions on resume, example of an analytical experience, why AES, what are the commercial and country challenges organizations like AES face. Next, I was called for on site interview (full day - 7 hours). No information was given on the people who will interview or the format. After I insisted on the format, I was told that there will be a test (modeling).

On site interview: 45 mins with Hiring Manager face to face. Behavorial questions on different situations and current trends in energy industry.

Moved to the next room and given a laptop with Financial Modeling case and 2 hours to prepare (case given in the unexpected question below).

After that, 45 min lunch interview with two other team members from the Corporate Development/Acquisitions group. Experience based and why AES, Energy etc.

Back to office for another 45 min interview with the Managing Director. Values and Mission of AES? Tell me why I should NOT hire you? Failure that changed your life and how? Best course and why in MBA program? Company investing in $500M project in Columbia (current equity stake at 70%), shall we maintain, reduce or increase the stake? Tell me about a complex assignment/learning experience as if you're telling this to a 5 year old? A time were not able to meet expectations and your managers feedback?

Next -- Case presentation (totally unexpected).

Next - HR interview.. Skills and Behavioral.. Salary discussed

Next - Final interview with Global Head of Corporate FP&A

Interview Questions

• Initial Investment = $200 M (20 Years – Straight Line Method)
      Capacity = 200 M MWH
      Total Production = 1795 MWH
      Expected Production is 60% = 1051
      Revenue for Gas = $40/MWH (No growth – For Simplicity)
      Revenue for Diesel = $45/MWH (No growth – For Simplicity)
      Fixed Revenue based on Reliability = 100%  $10 M, 95%  $5 M, 88%  $0.0 M
      Cost for Gas = $20/MWH
      Cost for Diesel = $25/MWH
      Average Cost = $20.5/MWH
      Growth for Average Cost = 1%
      Fixed Cost = $5 M
      Maintenance Cost = $2M (5, 10 and 15 Years – Straight Line Method)
      Tax Rate = 35%
      Repayment = 20 Years (Pay down to zero)
      Interest Payment = No interest in 1st Year

Debt Options:
      Japan - 80% - 8%
      Japan - 90% - 8.5%
      USA - 80% - 9%
      USA - 90% - 9.5%

Answer Below:
      1) Prepare income statement. Mix of Gas Vs. Diesel in the Average Cost
      2) NPV of the project and whether you should go ahead with it or not. What Financing option to use?
      3) IRR?

Other Questions:
      1) What should be the numerator and denominator of Free Cash Flow (After Tax Deduction)? What rate of return is important for the Equity holders?
      2) How would you get the cost of capital? Beta and risk free rate?
      3) What does the Repayment schedule look like?
      4) What is the methodology behind finding the mix of fuel sources? (Date Tables?)
      5) Why choose a bank in USA or Japan?
      6) What Financing option should be considered? What happens when the Debt goes up to 90%?   Answer Question

Administration Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at AES Corporation.

Interview

I interviewed for a different office in Cumberland, and was not hired for that position. However, and different division was hiring and was contacted to interview. The interview process and hiring process was painless.

Interview Questions

• What is my knowledge of wind turbines? (which was nothing at the time)   Answer Question