APM Terminals Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 10, 2017

2.9

Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elizabeth, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at APM Terminals (Elizabeth, NJ) in May 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by three people simultaneously, and they took turns asking questions.

In my case, I was personally asked by an APM Terminals executive to interview with this company, even though I am employed and am not looking for a new job. As I respected this person, I agreed. However, both he and the interviewers knew that I work in the construction field, and was coming directly from a jobsite. I even reminded them of this during the interview. So... two weeks later, the ONLY feedback I get was that I didn't represent myself well because I wasn't dressed fancily enough. I was dressed pretty well, but apparently they expect a full suit and tie, even if that's not appropriate for the position you're trying to get.

To make matter worse, the way I got this feedback was the following - this executive who I respected, and who personally asked me to interview, sent me a nasty kindergarten-style email in the middle of the night. He berated and insulted me about not dressing well enough. It was extremely childish and immature - and this guy holds a top executive position at the headquarters in The Hague.

Long story short - expect schoolyard immaturity, rent a tux even if you're interviewing to clean the toilets, and vanity matters more that job ability!

Interview Questions

• What would your last boss say is your biggest weakness?   1 Answer
    • They will grill you about every single day you spent unemployed between jobs on your resume, getting way too personal and inappropriate.   Answer Question

APM Terminals Response

Jun 15, 2016 – Head of HR - NAM/EUR Portfolio

Some sound advice for all candidates on how to dress appropriately for interviews: Dress One or Two Levels Up.

"The rule of thumb is that you dress one or two levels higher than the job that... More

Operations and IT Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at APM Terminals in April 2014.

Interview

It was very easy it was over the phone. They ask you a bunch of questions relating to your personal background and your interests. Very simple nothing to stress about.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at APM Terminals.

Interview

Straight forward process. Asked about prior work history. Strengths and weaknesses. Process now has gotten a bit more involved with panel interviews with directors and manager level. Usually a few rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. Interviewed seven years ago so process has changed slightly.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at APM Terminals (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Great interview process with professional people. It was an easy process if you have good experience and a great background. Looking for qualified people with excellent work ethics and sound judgment.

Assistant Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at APM Terminals (Charleston, SC).

Interview

Received call for current operations manger to schedule phone interview. I called into the interview and immediately he got down to business. No introduction, no causal chat like most interviews, no tell me about yourself, no anything! He began to tell me EVERY NEGATIVE aspect of the job and that this job is nothing like the description. He told me that the days are very long, sometimes up to 15 hours. You are outside 90% off the time under a crane directing movements. He advised that that the last "college degree" person quit on him after two years so he may be reluctant to hire another. He was rude and at the end of the interview told me to "try APM Terminals in Portsmouth, Va. They are more white collar than us" Needless to say, I had nothing to ask/say after that.

Interview Questions

• Will you be ok with telling someone the age of your father what to do?   Answer Question
    • Why should I hire you and you're just like the person I fired?   Answer Question

Head of Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at APM Terminals (New Delhi (India)).

Interview

I was called for an interview stating that there are 3 positions that the role can be fit into. I was called at 9:30 to their Lower Parel office but the office staff themselves turned up later than the scheduled time. They then put me to a test which started almost around 10:10 as the system on which the test was to be taken had some issues. There were two tests which were completed around 11. This test is important to be cleared, failing which the next round of interview will not happen. After about few minutes I was told that though I have cleared the test, the interview cannot be done as the interviewer was scheduled for 10 and all this is delayed. I was told that I will be called again.
    After a gap of 10 days, when I followed up, I was told that the position is on hold.

APMT, When you are hiring for senior positions, please have some basic HR manners in place.
    - Send out an acknowledgement when the resume is mailed directly by the candidate to HR
    - Respect candidates time as well. Ensure that the right interviewing mechanism is in place. It is not candidates fault that the test machines are slow or wrong internal scheduling with your own internal stakeholders.
    - Ensure that the timings for tests and interviews are paced well.
    - Have a clear communication on the results even if it is negative. Don't keep mum and provide an input, only after the candidate follows up.
    - Lastly be clear on which positions you want to fill. It reflects badly on APMT when you initiate the process and then tell the candidate that the position is on hold. Are you really that indecisive?

Project Specialist Global Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at APM Terminals (The Hague (Netherlands)) in April 2017.

Interview

CV + letter of motivation, numeric & cognitive tests, video interview. After reaching the video interviews I didn't hear anything for a month. I decided to give them a call, they told me that my profile was to technical and to specific in the maritime industry, which they could've seen on my resume (the requirements for the role were very general). Instead, they let me do the tests, video interviews etc. and changed the criteria half way through and didn't seem to bother giving me any response/feedback.

Interview Questions

• Your relation to the Maerks core values with examples, can be found online.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in The Hague (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at APM Terminals (The Hague (Netherlands)) in July 2016.

Interview

cognitive and personality Tests, that must be usually completed before the scheduled phone interview, phone interview of about half an hour which was very general, your background, why would you work for APM Terminals, your strengths and weaknesses, etc; if you get through the phone interview stage, you will be invited for a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• your background, what is the link between your previous experience and the current position; a lot of technical questions about basic financial concepts, what are the components of a balance sheet, P/L statement, how to conduct a company valuation, market cap, etc..   Answer Question

Operations Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at APM Terminals (Mumbai (India)).

Interview

Negatives
    -Terrible in terms of selection of Candidates for interview for a specialized position.For a post of Port Operations - Field one of the busiest port in India a BPO exp candidate was called,later was reject after two rounds saying this was not his field.
    -No proper communication regarding the various shortlist round results
    -Way to much preference given to Locals.

Positives
    -Proper facilities for travelling to the location for the interviews

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to change your field?
      What if we give you the opportunity in your field itself ?Will you change your job   1 Answer

Operations Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Apapa, Lagos (Nigeria)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at APM Terminals (Apapa, Lagos (Nigeria)) in June 2015.

Interview

A test followed by interview. the 1st is a test compulsorily for all applicants irrespective of the position., if passed, then the interview which is about the position applied for. The interview process usually takes 15 - 20mins. leadership skills are tested as well as credentials presented are vetted. it is basically professional on the role applied for, nothing else and its not a hard process at all

Interview Questions

• Two sets of 50 questions in 12 minutes.
      If passed, followed by Physical interview   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, salaries were fixed