Age of Learning Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Age of Learning (Glendale, CA) in March 2019.

Interview

Like mentioned in other posts, the interview consisted mostly of conversations over the phone with team managers.

In the initial phone screens, they really look more for whether the candidate will be a cultural fit with the team with a few questions about the candidate's background and experiences.

Once invited to the on-site interview, it was more technical to see whether candidate knows basic JavaScript knowledge. The on-site interview was very pleasant to go through compared to other interviews in the past. The interviewers were very genuine and super nice and really wanted to know more about the candidate and never put pressure on the candidate for whatever reason.

The company is very mission driven and everyone at the company is onboard with the mission. The company really makes you feel at home even during the interview.

At the end of the interview, the candidate is given a tour of all the floors in the office.

Interview Questions

• Fundamental JavaScript questions needed to know for every interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Age of Learning (Glendale, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

interview consists mostly of conversations with team members about past experience, I would recommend asking a lot of questions about how the specific team you are interviewing for operates, because each one has a slightly different culture. this should help you decide if it's a good fit

overall the culture is more corporate (not quite like a small startup as other people say)
    everyone goes to lunch at the same time. the management view is that this makes scheduling meetings more efficient, but this struck me as a bit much

they are growing very quickly and some members indicated that they hired too fast but it seems they are aware of the issues and addressing them. everyone I would have worked with seemed nice

one person I interviewed with kept me waiting for almost an hour and did not apologize when she finally did arrive. had a lukewarm impression of the management team based on this interaction

ended up receiving a not very competitive offer ($70k) - took some time to think about it and when I reached out a week later they said they had hired someone else.

the team seemed really great but the overall company culture felt lacking by the end of the process. it could be the right fit depending on what you're looking for in a company

Interview Questions

• the team gave me some code to debug on the spot
      also had to read code and determine the output without running it   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Age of Learning.

Interview

Recruiter brought this position to my attention earlier this year, and I had two phone interviews (with a lead developer and the other with the VP of engineering.) Both of these guys are A-OK and I enjoyed the conversations. After a very long interview (at least 3 hours) they made a terrible offer -- I declined -- and then they countered with a generous one, at which point I already accepted one elsewhere.

The company seems intent on getting talent at a discount, and if I had a shortage of options, I may be working there today. Tips:

1. Brush up on all of your web skills, my buddy interviewed and was ousted in 15 mins. after forgetting extremely basic JavaScript materials.

2. Show ambition. Most talented developers have side-projects that demonstrate passion and independence. Bring yours.

3. Kiss some H.R. booty. Seriously, it seems like H.R. runs the show over there. Once I had their stamp -- and boy, they wanted to stamp me -- I knew the offer was on its way.

4. Let it be known you're there to tackle their mission. Product development is a team sport.

5. Be cool. Small companies are intimate, and that means they want to work with someone they can get drinks with at 7:00pm.

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Age of Learning (Glendale, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online, then got a call from the recruitment for Age of Learning to talk about open positions and accepted the technical interview. I did the technical interview over Skype and passed that (this was a casual non-coding interview). Silence for about a week or two. Got a call again from the recruiter and did a coding interview. I passed that interview and had a on site interview that lasted about 3-4 hours. Everyone I talked to during the face to face was very attentive and answered all my questions I had. They were super nice and genuinely was curious about my skill realistically and finding if I would be fit for the job. I had a lot of fun with this interview and really felt I would be a great fit here.
    A week later I got a call with an offer and generously accepted!

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Age of Learning (Glendale, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

First was a phone screen. Then a skype interview. Finally they flew me to CA for a face-to-face interview with several senior managers. VP of engineering and CTO. Did not meet with perspective team

Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Age of Learning.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview with the Art Director, then was asked to come in for a test. Had to finish about 4 different assignments in about twenty minutes. Afterward, the Art Director came in to critique my test. Spoke to three separate people in the course of about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions

• All pretty standard questions, and nothing out of the blue.   Answer Question

Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Age of Learning (Glendale, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

The interview process was great we met over lunch, at the studio, and talked about my experience, how many years in the industry and what I've worked on, and the animation industry as a whole. I met with someone from senior management and he told me everything I needed to know about the company and how it was run.

Interview Questions

• Why did you stop working at the big studios?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The process was easy, they didn't seem like they were trying to low ball me.

Middle Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Age of Learning (Glendale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Long process, slow response rate. Multiple interviews with multiple people. Requires taking time off from current position in order to manage the demands of the process. Interviewers give a very rosy picture of company that does not match glassdoor reviews at all.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Age of Learning.

Interview

It was a strange one-way interview. I had to respond to questions that were pre-recorded. It was hard to get a feeling for what they wanted. The video also lagged. So it was hard to understand her.

Interview Questions

• Very generic questions. I felt it was lazy of HR to use such a system.   1 Answer

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Age of Learning in March 2017.

Interview

Best interview! Be ready to meet with several people, asked the same questions over and over, you will be there a few hours, and wear comfortable shoes for the tour of the office.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself? What do you want to do? What do you have to offer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interview

Process was the usual series of interviews with various colleagues. Most had not reviewed my materials prior to meeting with me, which left the individual conversations feeling shallow. Several asked me what position I was looking for, which struck me as odd.

Entire atmosphere was of a disorganized tech sweatshop-startup, where personnel are worked hard for little reward either in the short or long term. The lack of benefits or appropriate respect for work/life balance should turn off any more experienced potential employee.