American Public University System Interview Questions | Glassdoor

American Public University System Interview Questions

Updated Nov 3, 2016

2.7

Academics Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System.

Interview

Called me for an in person interview. I Interviewed with a manager and a coworker, it was pretty standard. She answered all of my questions and seemed very knowledgable. Very friendly and approachable. The experience was positive.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Interview

The interview process consisted of a combination of online tests (writing screen) as well as a group interview with the department director. In order to move to the group interview, you were required to pass the writing screen. Overall, it was a pretty lengthy process and took about a full month (or a little longer) from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• How would you keep the online students engaged in the classroom?   Answer Question

Liaison Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charles Town, WV

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Public University System (Charles Town, WV) in April 2016.

Interview

Sent in my application, received a writing screen request that was easy and just required answering a couple additional questions. Then I had a phone interview, which was easy, and was invited for an in-person interview. The in-person interview was a little strange, and there was no opportunity for me to ask questions; they just asked their own questions and then showed me out. They told me I'd hear "early next week" but it took three weeks to finally tell me that I didn't get the position (by e-mail).

Interview Questions

• What have you disliked about people you've worked under in the past?   Answer Question

Test Examiner/Education Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System (Lancaster, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had about 3 interviews one on the phone with the hiring manager, another with the director of the program and one face to face with the hiring manager, I also had to do a written sample for the job. They asked pretty basic questions the first time, the second time they asked me questions about scenarios that I had to deal with at my previous jobs and how I would react to certain things that may be asked by my supervisor and how I would react to certain students.

Adjunct Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Public University System.

Interview

Interview process was long, but thorough. It took approximately 4 months to complete the process. The people I interviewed with were experts in their fields and had been with the university for years, so they asked pointed questions, direct questions to hone in on experience.

Recruiters were very helpful and resourceful.

Interview Questions

• Ability to work in an online environment? What did I think would be the most challenging aspect?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy. The terms are the terms as for an adjunct.

Adjunct Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at American Public University System.

Interview

Multiple telephone interviews, an initial screening, followed by a typical interview by the program director to determine if you are a fit with the department. Once that is done they will get back to you with a written offer of employment, and you begin training.

Online Instructor Interview

Interview

Unpaid training is illegal in the US, yet the application asks if you are willing to participate in it, and it seems they do require it. One is entitled to report illegal practices such as unpaid training to the DOL, as well as report retaliation for applicants or employees unwilling to participate in illegal practices such as unpaid training. I'm not sure how they've gotten away with this for so long, but the DOL clearly states that and there have been plenty of court cases to back it up. This is true federally, even in right to work states. I believe this information is on-topic and meaningful to a person who is seeking to understand what it is like to work or apply at this particular company.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to participate in unpaid training for several weeks?   1 Answer

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Public University System (Virginia Beach, VA).

Interview

Online teaching position.

Phone interview initial screening with HR to meet minimum requirements which include sending official transcripts directly to American Public University System (APUS) then assuming they want to move forward, HR schedules an interview with the department head. Phone, no face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Prior teaching experience at the college level?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. $130 per student with a min of 15 and a max of 25 per class. Classes last 8 to 10 weeks.

Online Instructor Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online and received an email a couple weeks later. Did a phone interview with a faculty director and another online instructor. Was offered the job a few days later. Went through several weeks of unpaid training before beginning work.

Interview Questions

• How would you maintain rigor in the classroom with adult learners who have busy lives with family, work, and other obligations?   Answer Question

Worker Interview

Interview

I reviewed the job on CareerBuilder.com and applied. I received an email indicating I was chosen for an interview about three weeks later. I was interviewed by two people, HR called me and offered me the job two weeks later and I accepted. Orientation class began on day one.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really comes to mind. It was a good interview, the questions were fair and standard.   Answer Question