Appian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Appian (Reston, VA) in November 2018.

Interview

School career fair --> Phone Interview --> On-site interview day. All of the interviewers were professional and considerate and the process was incredibly personalized. It was much more enjoyable than other companies in the same industry/area.

Interview Questions

• Mostly personality questions and some logical problem solving questions   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

Typical 30 minute phone call with HR. Went through resume. First questions was to describe what I knew about the company. Passion for tech is a must. Did not receive an invite to the next round.

Associate Technical Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Appian.

Interview

I had 30 minute phone call with a person from HR. Very first question was to describe what I knew about Appian already. Conversation seemed fine, but I did not get an offer for the next round.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Appian (Tysons, VA) in March 2020.

Interview

First round was a 30 minute phone screening - fairly straightforward resume review and some questions about my interests. Heard back very quickly and scheduled the second round for a week or so later. Second round was a 60 minute phone interview - typical behavioral interview with a consultant, touched on a lot of my past experiences and how they have prepared me for the job. Heard back from the recruiter later that day to begin scheduling final round interviews. Final round interviews were supposed to take place on-site in Tysons Corner, VA, but due to Covid-19 the format was changed to be a series of virtual interviews. Final round interviews consisted of four consecutive 30 minute video interviews - spoke with two consultants, a manager, and an upper level executive, more extensive behavioral interviews as well as a deep probing about why this company. Received a phone call from the recruiter within a week with the feedback.

Overall - The process was quick and about as pleasant as an interview process can be. The HR department was delightful to interact with and every employee I met with was very kind. A hiring freeze caused by Covid-19 prevented me from receiving an offer, but I probably would have accepted It had things worked out.

Associate Technical Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Appian in March 2020.

Interview

2 Phone calls, almost entirely behavioral. 1 with recruiter 1 with a principle consultant. Process was outlined in the first call with the last step being an on-site interview. Recruiter seemed great and that went well. The second call was kind of all over the place with vague questions where I wasn't sure what they were really asking for and the interviewer didn't seem interested. It threw me off with the shift from the friendly conversation to the cold interrogation so be prepared for that. I could tell I didn't give a good interview so I wasn't surprised (but was disappointed) when I wasn't asked to do the on-site interview. The recruiter wanted to make sure that you are interested in technology and adaptable. I don't know what the second one was looking for. They seem to have a great training program if you can get your foot in the door. There were absolutely no technical questions asked.

Interview Questions

• "Give an example of a time you were creative in a project?" followed by "How exactly was that creative?"   1 Answer
    • When have you taken on a role that was critical but would not receive recognition for?   Answer Question
    • When in the past year have you taken work home with you and worked late?   Answer Question
    • How have you handled work taking longer than you expected?   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Appian (Reston, VA).

Interview

1. HR interview
    2. Technical phone interview with one of the consultants
    3. Flown in to headquarters to have the in person interview which included a presentation, behavioral interview, executive interview, technical interview

Interview Questions

• Cultural interview was mostly about personal motivation and why you chose to go in a certain path in your career or your studies.
      Technical interview was about SQL table design and the workflow of a online food ordering website   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Appian.

Interview

It's a good experience. The interview has three rounds. First, HR asked several questions about background and why appian for about 30 mins. After that, a technical person asked questions about resume and some database related.

Instructional Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Appian in February 2020.

Interview

It was like a weird first date. The recruiter asked me for a good time to call for a half-hour interview. I gave them a date/time. They called me 22 minutes late. They said it was unprofessional and inexcusable of them. That's how the interview kicked off. I agreed to still take the interview then. I went in a little unsure about Appian. From what I could gather from the website and other reviews here, it seemed like a lot of flash but maybe not as much substance behind that veneer. In any case, I was still earnest in wanting to learn more about the company and the job position.

The recruiter got very hung up on why I would leave a job without having another one lined up. I said it was for professional reasons, wanting to advance my skills or broaden them into other areas. They pressed some more and I offered that the work conditions were not great. They asked me if leaving was an "emotional decision." Now there's a loaded word. Leaving my job was not a decision I made lightly and the reasons for doing so, well, it would have taken an hour to explain the full extent. I felt judged by the recruiter and made to feel like I was a lesser person for not sticking with it. The recruiter said they wanted to hire people with "grit." To me, that is coded language for "we want to hire people who can put up with a lot." I put in 6 years with my last employer. I think I have "grit." But there may be a time when circumstances push us too far beyond anything reasonable, and I found myself in one of those situations. You are fortunate if you never experience anything like that. If you do though, I hope you have the courage and means to walk away from that situation. We deserve better. Anyway, over the course of the interview, we learned I don't have all the skill set/qualifications that Appian is looking for. That is the point of an interview after all. Perhaps this could have been deduced over an email though.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your last job (asked in three different ways)?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience level for writing processes for a software/technology?   Answer Question
    • Do you have an aptitude for learning new technology/software (e.g., coding/programming experience)?   Answer Question

Senior Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Appian (Tysons, VA).

Interview

Rigorous and Difficult interview process overall. I had a phone screen with the recruiter first and then she decided to move me forward in the next round. The next round was a 1 hour technical white board screening session. I cleared it and was called onsite for 4 back to back in person rounds -
    1. Presentation (30 mins)
    2. Behavioral (30 mins)
    3. Technical (1 hour)
    4. Executive (30 mins)

I fared well in all except the technical round (at least that is what I felt and was conveyed by the recruiter as well). The technical interviewer was pushy and was presenting challenging questions. Apparently, I was rejected based on this one round. I did ask the recruiter over email on feedback from the other interviewers but did not hear back. Looks like she was only interested in responding till the time I was a potential hire. Once rejected, she didn't care to respond. Highly unprofessional.

Though the process is streamlined and professional, if their selection criteria is so rigid, I wonder how on earth will they find the right candidate!

Interview Questions

• How long will you be with Appian?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Appian.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, had a personality interview, and then completed a phone call with a software engineer for the technical interview while I shared my code.

Interview Questions

• Write a constructor for a class that takes in 2 integers   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Appian.

Interview

the first stage of the process is a phone interview or an on campus interview. If you succeed, you go to their office for the next round in DC. The phone interview is like a typical leetcode question

Interview Questions

• Given a phone number, generate all the letter sequence that it could represent   Answer Question