Appian Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Appian Interview Questions

Updated Jan 19, 2017

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Appian.

Interview

6 interviewers (30 minutes with each). Fairly easy questions asked about my career goals and about quality assurance in general. Interviewers shared information about quality assurance and about the different teams I could be in.

Interview Questions

• Q: Given an online form for customers to submit requests, what sort of things would a programmer need to test to make sure the form is working correctly? What test cases would you recommend?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Appian (Reston, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter within a few days. After an initial phone screen with the recruiter and a follow up discussion with a VP of Product (45 minutes), I was invited to a final on-site interview. Prior to that visit, I had a quick call with engineering recruiting who helped to prep me on what to expect for the day. During the on-site, I had 5 one-on-one interviews with fellow product managers as well as engineering directors/VPs (45 minutes/each). Each interviewer had a different way of how they ran things, but they were all generally experience/job fit questions - No business cases, logic challenges, wireframing/storyboarding, etc. In my case our discussions went up to the time limit and I did not have much opportunity for follow up questions. Other than that, everyone was great (especially recruiting!) during the process and all follow ups were very timely. Ultimately the role was not the best fit for me since their product managers serve in more of a software engineering hybrid capacity.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe the business value proposition for a product you manage and whiteboard its architecture
      2. How do you document detailed application/API specs?
      3. Tell me about a product trade off that you had to make and how did you manage expectations with the stakeholder
      4. Tell me about a great project/product that you delivered that makes you proud
      Answer Question

Consultant (Business Process Management Solutions) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Appian (Reston, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I started with a quick phone screen with a very helpful recruiter, and that was followed up a few days later with a phone interview with a business consultant in the company. The questions were fairly average and pretty much all behavioral, and the people I spoke to were good to talk to. However, after telling me that they would get back to me shortly (1-2 weeks) it took them over 5 weeks to get back to me with a rejection, even after I sent a quick follow-up email after 2 weeks. After hearing similar things happening to other people that applied from my university, it seems like their HR department is a little disorganized.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Appian.

Interview

Multi stage interviews. Poorly organized. Didn't know who I was meeting with and when. But made it through the process relatively easily. Final interview was an 1-on-1 with a C-level executive. I found it a little degrading to put someone through so many stages, when many of the questions were elementary and hardly showed any effort. Maybe the interviewers were having an off-day though. Many were late or seemed uninterested in meeting with me.

Interview Questions

• Lots of brainteasers and "out of the box" thinking questions. Very cookie cutter, imho.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Interview

The reviews that mention lack of communication from HR/recruiting, poor follow-up, misleading progress throughout interview process, and so on are all true. Many reviews mention mixed messages communicated by interviewers which I experienced. 5 interviews - three phone interviews and two in-office interviews. One in-person with seven individuals. The other was a business case presentation. Throughout process, very positive feedback (from all levels, even a founder). I received emails from interviewers expressing surprise and disappointment that I wasn't extended an offer. The HR contact was not helpful and also implied on more than one occasion an offer would be extended. She said the last interview was just formality and I was the only one being considered. No offer was extended.

For a company that consistently mentions being "transparent", they were far from this during interview process. Very unfortunate they preach it.

Be prepared to be put through entire process with zero respect of your time and energy. Other companies respect your time and will be honest and truly transparent each step of the interview process.

Interview Questions

Appian Response

Jun 13, 2016 – CTO & Co-founder

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the interview process at Appian. Senior Account Executive roles are highly competitive and highly compensated. The process typically begins ... More

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Appian.

Interview

It was terrible. I heard great things about the company however the day of my interview they decided to let me the position has been filled. You might want to be weary of this.

Digital Marketing Campaign Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Appian (Arlington, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the position and after two days the recruiter contacted me by email asking to schedule a phone interview. The interview had the duration of 20 minutes, where she could explain about the position and also she asked me about my work experience. She was really nice.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Appian (Reston, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I did a half hour call with a recruiter. To be honest, I was very impressed. She was one of the best recruiters I have ever worked with. She went above and beyond to make sure all of my questions were answered and I had a good grasp on the opportunity. Another member of the recruiting team reached out to coordinate the next step which was a phone call with the sales manager. After that I got invited to come to the corporate HQ in Reston to do a presentation and meet with more people including the CEO of the company. I was very impressed that he took the time to meet with me (and indicated he interviews as many people as possible.)

Interview Questions

• What do you do in your sales process that you don't think your competitors do?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Appian (Arlington, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

20 minute phone call. Most ridiculous experience of search to date. Interviewer was clueless on selling style of company, would not divulge any information for me to determine f it was even a company I should consider . She asked NO relevant questions then sent a "dear john " letter on how may "skill sets" didn't match "their requirements. Since she never asked anything about my skills nor did she provide any information on their selling styles, I found the experience a COMPLETE waste of my time

Interview Questions

• Are you looking for a new position   1 Answer

BPM Consultant (All Levels) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Appian (Reston, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for a BPM consultant (all levels) position over the course of a few months. The company is flexible about scheduling interviews – I chose the pace of my interviews. The recruiter told me the company is always hiring.

I went through three rounds of interviews. First round was a phone screen with HR, second round was a phone interview with a BPM consultant, and the third/final round was an in-person interview with several consultants at the office in Reston, VA. They tell you in advance who and when you’ll be interviewing with your final round interviewers.

The final round interviewers primarily asked about past project experience, why you’re looking to leave, etc. One interviewer failed to read my resume beforehand (I gave the interviewer a copy of my resume, which this person proceed to scan through before starting the interview), but the other interviewers came prepared.

I did not receive an offer – I was notified via email. They do reimburse travel expenses for interviews for both local and out-of-town candidates.

A few things to highlight about my interview experience –
    1) There were no brainteasers during any interview. In other reviews the reviewer indicates there were brainteasers during interviews, but I was never asked any.
    2) There were no question about the product itself e.g., what does the product do. There weren’t really any questions about the company itself.
    3) I did not talk to the CEO. Past reviewers indicate that they did, but I did not.
    4) There were no questions about how much I made at my last position. I found this refreshing.
    5) I was told they wanted people with technical implementation experience. My resume doesn’t list any technical implementation experience, so I found it a bit odd that I made it all the way to the final round.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions - describe past project experience, why you're looking to leave your current company, etc. They want to get to know you as a person.

Nothing out of the ordinary. No brainteasers.
      Answer Question