KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 284 of over 311 reviews

4.1
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins
Pros
  • "exciting moment, new tech, work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "I've never worked with such a high percentage of super smart people(in 15 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Professional Services (PS) has limited input/ say over product roadmap (owned primarily by the engineering team)(in 16 reviews)

• "HQ located in Reston Town Center -- not the most central location so for a lot of people it's kind of a hike(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great place to work

Jul 4, 2021 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Full of smart people who are great to work with

Cons

Organization still can seem siloed at times

SVP, Customer Success

Thank you for taking the time to share how your experience is going within Appian and the Customer Success department. If you have any additional feedback or suggestions please let us know!

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Disorganized & Political - Not a Meritocracy

May 26, 2021 - Staff Software Engineer in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Appian inherently teaches its developers a great deal about how businesses function, from a process-based perspective. Most (but not all) of your colleagues will be a pleasure to work with - smart, innovative team-players with an eye for high-quality, valuable application development.

Cons

Compensation is low, and sizeable raises are hard to come by. Things vary wildly between departments - policy decisions, developer workflows, team sizes, expectations of output, communication channels, etc. are inconsistent from department to department. Hard work often goes unnoticed and unrecognized. Some employees who strive to exceed expectations are met only with greater expectations, rather than with recognition or monetary rewards. Politics play a major role in employees' career trajectory at Appian - often supplanting merit and technical achievements. Performance evaluation lacks transparency - employees have little say in the process. and no room for negotiation.

5 people found this review helpful

VP, Product Development

Thank you for your candid feedback, although it sounds like your experience wasn’t as good as either of us would have liked. While I’m happy to hear of your feedback on being surrounded by wonderful peers, it’s unfortunate to hear your thoughts on recognition and long-term career growth. Providing a space for growth opportunities for our team members, horizontally and vertically, is something that we pride ourselves on. Recognition has also been a huge focus area for us for quite some time, and even more so recently with several newly rolled-out recognition programs and initiatives. I wish you all the very best in your future endeavors.

3. 5.0

I love my job!

Jun 30, 2021 - Software Engineer II in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Appian is rapidly growing, has opportunities to pursue work that interests you personally, flexible time off, a great promotion schedule, and phenomenal salaries.

Cons

Depending on what department you're in the company culture can still feel a bit like start-up culture which has its pros and cons.

VP, Product Development

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience so far at Appian. I’m happy to hear things are going well. As always, my door is open if you ever have any additional feedback, suggestions, or just want to connect. Wishing you a great start to Q3!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Growing company

Jul 6, 2021 - RVP%2C Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Innovative technology. Cool culture. Attitude of helping others succeed.

Cons

Company going through growing pains. Conflicts between Legal, Contracts, and Revenue teams.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

May 21, 2021 - Corporate Employee in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Appian has a fantastic company culture with many growth opportunities. They've been voted as a Top Place to Work by the Washington Post for 8 years & ranked as a #1 software company by Gartner.

Cons

Senior Executives seem to be fairly disconnected to the employees but this isn't necessarily uncommon for corporations.

Senior Vice President, Human Resources

I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! I’m happy to hear your thoughts on our company culture, and overall opportunity for growth at Appian. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you’d like to discuss your feedback further - I would love to connect.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

great place to build your career

May 20, 2021 - Consultant in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work is very interesting, and the culture is great.

Cons

Starting fresh from college, the pay is good. However, after two years or so, the pay discrepancy between appian partners and appian customer success is vast.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Amazing People, Engaging Work

Apr 19, 2021 - Principal Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people who work here are both incredibly talented and always willing to help out. - Work-Life balance is strongly encouraged and easy to achieve; there is no pressure to work long hours or skip vacations for the good of the company - The work is engaging and, depending on the client, feels like you are really making an impact

Cons

- In the past the Consulting side of the business seemed to be getting overlooked in favor of Engineering, but steps are being made to fix this

SVP, Customer Success

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your experience, and for your continued support at Appian for the last 5+ years. I am happy to hear things are going well. As always, if you have any other feedback or suggestions please do let us know!

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Grateful to be at Appian

Jul 21, 2020 - Corporate in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with Appian for almost a year now and have been extremely impressed. The company is run by smart and capable leaders who have a strong vision for our continued growth, even during a pandemic. I feel fortunate that Appian continues to thrive during a time when many companies are crumbling under economic pressure due to COVID-19. Our CEO Matt Calkins has been increasingly transparent while we've been working remotely. He holds company wide livestreams every two weeks where he shares updates with the entire Appian community. Lately, these have been focused on ways our product is helping organizations get back to work. These livestreams also garner a sense of security that Appian is remaining stable during these difficult times. Matt has also shared a few ideas around how the Appian community could do more to help with social injustice we are continuing to see in the US. I am appreciative of the efforts that have been made so far and I am confident that more will be done. I hope to see a continued commitment from Appian to do what is right.

Cons

I think we could do more to become more diverse, faster. Speed is a major selling point in most things that Appian does, so I'd like to see us pick up the pace in creating a workplace that employs people from even more diverse backgrounds. I've liked seeing efforts amongst individual teams in the company, so I'm hoping to see that become more commonplace. We are getting there, but candidly, I think it could be higher on the priority list.

11 people found this review helpful

VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We are happy to hear you have found value in the company-wide livestreams. Ensuring there is a strong communications channel across the organization has been top of mind, especially during these unprecedented times. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a journey and high on our priority list. Aside from our employee-led affinity groups that have been a driving force for our efforts over the past few years, we have increased our efforts to support and recruit from organizations fostering technology careers for people of color, and there are community outreach initiatives currently underway. If you have any additional feedback, are interested in getting involved in some of the outreach initiatives, or simply want to connect, I would love to hear from you!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Washington post best place to work

May 20, 2021 - Account Executive in Tysons Corner, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It has been a fantastic experience working at Appian over the last few years. The tone from the top is one of caring, inclusivity, openness and collaboration

Cons

We could make it easier to do business, perhaps more solutions

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company. Difficult sales role

Dec 13, 2020 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company is growing rapidly and stock keeps going up. They typically pay a fairly high base salary. And you’ll need it. Appian has a ton of very smart people who are hard working — including sales and sales management. I’ve worked with some of the best sales managers in my career here— and some of the worst. If you want to be successful, sell in financial services or federal verticals Many customers are raving fans. If you can get an existing customer territory you’ll do well.

Cons

Appian is structured so that lawyers approve all deals and the company can make its Wall Street projections while 10% of its sales people close business. most of whom are selling additional licenses to existing customers. Sales reps have been in territory for 4 years and not closed a deal. Plan to live on your base salary for a long time. Very little pressure to close deals in first 2 years. But if you like to close business regularly and win, you may want to find another place to work.

20 people found this review helpful