Appian Reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2020

3.9
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins
Pros
  • "The Monday morning breakfast turns the Monday blues into woohoos(in 17 reviews)

• "From my experience, Appian offers a great work-life balance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Professional Services (PS) has limited input/ say over product roadmap (owned primarily by the engineering team)(in 13 reviews)

• "It did seem like many of the full-time employees were under pressure to put in long hours, but this obviously wasn't an issue as an intern(in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hard to believe how much I've grown in my short time here"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people! Highly intelligent, passionate about what they do, and VERY collaborative. Employees here care about excelling at their individual jobs, but they also genuinely care about and support teammates (or even people from other departments you didn't know) to ensure others are excelling as well. The extras, of course, are nice: - Flexible PTO - Moved into a new HQ in Tysons with state-of-the-art tech and facilities - Renovated full-gym (w/ golf practice cage) - Running track around a lake (appx 1 mile) and separate koi pond - Basketball & Tennis Courts, Bocce Ball, Horseshoes, Ping Pong, and others - Free snacks & drinks, breakfast, and a lot of random catered meals - Several team, department, 'affinity groups', and company events throughout the year - Too many others to list here...

Cons

Tysons location w/ traffic. Fortunately, the building provides numerous options (including Uber!) for those looking to get to the Metro or mall.

December 16, 2019VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We’re thrilled to hear of your positive experience thus far, and appreciate you highlighting some of the exciting perks our new headquarters has to offer. As always, if there are any areas in which you believe we can improve, come talk to me! I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great to work for over the globe. Apply and find out.

Cons

There are no downsides I would suggest, come work here.

August 11, 2020Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share and write a review. Please continue to share your feedback with us, as we’re continually auditing and finding new ways to learn and grow as an organization.

3. "BDR"

4.0
    Current Employee - BDR in McLean, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good product, good organization, good opportunity for growth

Cons

Bad leadership (BDR), pay constantly changes, alignment changes

4. COVID-19

"Grateful to be at Appian"

Current Employee - Corporate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been with Appian for almost a year now and have been extremely impressed. The company is run by smart and capable leaders who have a strong vision for our continued growth, even during a pandemic. I feel fortunate that Appian continues to thrive during a time when many companies are crumbling under economic pressure due to COVID-19. Our CEO Matt Calkins has been increasingly transparent while we've been working remotely. He holds company wide livestreams every two weeks where he shares updates with the entire Appian community. Lately, these have been focused on ways our product is helping organizations get back to work. These livestreams also garner a sense of security that Appian is remaining stable during these difficult times. Matt has also shared a few ideas around how the Appian community could do more to help with social injustice we are continuing to see in the US. I am appreciative of the efforts that have been made so far and I am confident that more will be done. I hope to see a continued commitment from Appian to do what is right.

Cons

I think we could do more to become more diverse, faster. Speed is a major selling point in most things that Appian does, so I'd like to see us pick up the pace in creating a workplace that employs people from even more diverse backgrounds. I've liked seeing efforts amongst individual teams in the company, so I'm hoping to see that become more commonplace. We are getting there, but candidly, I think it could be higher on the priority list.

August 11, 2020VP, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful review. We are happy to hear you have found value in the company-wide livestreams. Ensuring there is a strong communications channel across the organization has been top of mind, especially during these unprecedented times. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is a journey and high on our priority list. Aside from our employee-led affinity groups that have been a driving force for our efforts over the past few years, we have increased our efforts to support and recruit from organizations fostering technology careers for people of color, and there are community outreach initiatives currently underway. If you have any additional feedback, are interested in getting involved in some of the outreach initiatives, or simply want to connect, I would love to hear from you!

5. "Good & Bad"

Former Employee - IT Intern in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Appian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great department, you learn a lot, quite involved

Cons

Literally didn’t hire me because I was pregnant. The worst.

August 11, 2020VP, Human Resources

We are very concerned by the issue you have raised, as Appian has a policy of zero tolerance when it comes to all forms of discrimination. We encourage you to report your belief as to why you weren't hired to Appian's Human Resources team for investigation and follow up. We would never allow an employment decision to be made on the basis of pregnancy, parental status, or any other status related to gender or family situation.

6. "Considering a BDR role? Read this."

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Product provides real value, market leader, and an impressive customer base - Great leadership in the BDR organization - Experience selling to Enterprise level customers - Opportunity to progress into an Enterprise AE role - Appian does a great job hiring quality people, I've enjoyed working with 98% of my co-workers while here - Appian has strategically positioned itself to have a bright future and great upside - Lots of opportunity here for growth

Cons

- BDR to AE training program (promotion bridge) was questionable in planning and execution. (I do think this will be fixed way before a new BDR would get to this point because of the new BDR trainer) - Growing pains and theres gaps that need to be filled - Benefits aren't bad but they could be better

July 23, 2020Chief Revenue Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for your continued support of Appian the past three years. I appreciate the feedback you shared regarding our Business Development team as well as the areas you feel we could improve. Please continue to share your feedback with us, as we’re continually auditing and finding new ways to learn and grow as an organization.

7. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunities for mentorship and learning. Smart, talented and driven co-workers.

Cons

The commute can be brutal

July 1, 2020Senior Vice President, Customer Success

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate it. If you ever have any feedback and/or suggestions please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly. My (virtual) door is always open.

"Not for me"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful location and office, free snacks.

Cons

This is not a company that values diversity and furthermore they have no idea what inclusivity really means. Leadership is this company is afraid to offend the majority with a minority's perspective. If you're looking for a company that truly values diversity and inclusion this is not that company! Look some where else.

June 10, 2020VP, Human Resources

Thank you for your review, and we are sorry to hear you feel this way. Appian strongly believes in both a diverse and inclusive work environment. We acknowledge that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and that we always need to be moving in the direction of a more diverse and inclusive organization. Some of the steps that have taken place thus far include employee-led initiatives by our internal employee resource groups which play a vital role in building and supporting the needs and goals of various communities and educating allies; we have made specific outreach to HBCUs in the past and are increasing our efforts to support and recruit from organizations fostering technology careers for people of color in the tech space; and there are community outreach initiatives currently underway. As an employee of Appian, I encourage you to assist us with our efforts by referring friends, classmates, and former colleagues. My door is always open if you feel comfortable sharing any additional feedback.

9. "Great company with great culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ work/life balance + smart and generous people + product vision

Cons

- hard to find interesting projects

"Chaotic and with zero planning"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at Appian full-time for less than a year

Pros

None really. They try to make you friends with your coworkers, but even that is coming before professionalism and responsibilities

Cons

Office politics, multiplied by a factor of tten by the fact that they primarily hire college students

May 12, 2020VP, Product Development

We value all of our current and former employees’ feedback, however I do think it's important for anyone reading this to understand how atypical this experience was. We take employee satisfaction, professionalism, planning and efficiency very seriously and we frequently assess employee engagement and solicit ideas for how to do better. Everything from our flexible leave policy to our dedicated learning time, our social events, conferences and training budget, meeting-free work periods, and our time allotment for code health and maintenance all came about as a result of employee suggestions. We are proud of our ability to recruit and retain top talent both with industry experience and from some of the best universities in the country. I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you, but I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Found 225 reviews