Appian Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance is sadly rare in the tech space" (in 10 reviews)

• "Close to a meritocracy, smart people, interesting work" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "It did seem like many of the full-time employees were under pressure to put in long hours, but this obviously wasn't an issue as an intern" (in 7 reviews)

• "Work/life balance isn't always great" (in 4 reviews)

"Patience, my friends."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for a little over three years, and it's been exciting from day one.

+ Rapid growth
    + Invested leadership
    + Improvements on improvements
    + Ongoing training and support from management
    + Upward growth opportunities

I suggest taking all of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Similar to Yelp, people tend to go to review sites to 'vent.' After reading some of the unhappy reviews, I wanted to chime in as to why I've been so happy here and remain engaged.

We are a rapidly growing organization, and with that comes growing pains. Find me a company who isn't going through them... I'll wait.

If you enjoy a fast pace environment, you'll enjoy Appian. If you're never satisfied with the status quo, you'll enjoy Appian. If you want to have the ability to make a lasting footprint within an organization, you'll enjoy Appian. If you're willing and motivated to go the extra mile, you'll enjoy Appian.

If you put in the work, you WILL get awarded. During every company quarterly meeting, I watch colleagues get awarded MVP and Nexus Awards. The MVP Award is given to someone on your team (nominated by their peers), and the Nexus Award is when you nominate someone from another team -- a person who has played a part in helping YOUR team to be successful. Teamwork makes the dream work! Don't let me forget the Pillar Award, an award where leadership votes to extend recognition to an employee who has made a substantial contribution to the culture and the company. To see a co-worker get sent on an all expenses paid trip to Europe (his dream)... the best! It's reassuring to see fellow friends get recognized, and it's ever more awesome have the chance to nominate others to get recognized for activities that other departments may not know about.

Cons

One con that I've read and would agree with is there could be an improvement with Benefits. It's becoming more and more competitive in the space.

"Supportive Company Culture"

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From my experience, Appian offers a great work-life balance. Work-life balance is sadly rare in the tech space. Yet, Appian's flexibility with the support of colleagues has allowed me to go back to school part-time for my Master's degree while working at Appian. Overall, Appian employees are helpful, engaged, and passionate.

Cons

Be sure to keep compensation competitive across departments.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Appian full-time

Pros

Engineering department has great culture and is run very well. Great place to work and learn. Expectations are high but you’re surrounded by very intelligent people who are also great listeners.

Cons

Other departments outside engineering seem to vary in terms of culture. Everyone in engineering seems to be happy and motivated but can’t say the same for other departments.

4. "Ok but not great"

Pros

Work-life balance, friendly employees

Cons

Unorganized management, inconsistencies in culture between departments, low compensation

Appian Response

Jun 12, 2018 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time to leave a review. We are in the process of launching our first company wide engagement survey (1 week away!) to understand the employee experience... More

"Future Focused"

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is positioned to be the next hugely successful enterprise software company and senior leadership seems to be making many right decisions every day to get the organization there.

The engineering organization functions like a well oiled machine and will continue to scale well.

The best aspect of this company is the people. You find brilliant, hard-working people across every department - Engineering, Sales, Pre-Sales, Professional Services, Recruitment, Finance, etc.

Appian is a meritocracy where employees are empowered to speak up for what they believe in and the best ideas win.

Of the tech, bottom line is the platform is superior to anything out there.

Cons

There's a unique company culture that is perfect for many but not right for everyone.

The platform is powerful but can be very easily misunderstood when messaged poorly. Marketing is still finding their way.

Advice to Management

Get back to being maximally involved in talent acquisition and don't let the company's culture or talent get any more diluted.

Make sure your leaders continue to empower their teams to speak up and function as the meritocracy the company was built on.

6. "Pay not worth the loss of quality of life"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Reston, VA

I worked at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays like a NYC or Bay Area company while being in Northern Virginia

Cons

* Alternative opinions are only valued so long you've curried the favor of your managers
    * The tons of recently graduated employees who don't know how not to be taken advantage of encourages a culture of "work harder not smarter" and sycophants. Drink the Kool Aid and play the game, and you'll be ok, I guess.
    * Specializing in their proprietary, in-house low-code solution means acquiring no transferable technical skills
    * No work/life balance means unless you give up your personal life, you're not going to be advancing

Advice to Management

Learn to value

"Heavy branding; Immature company that might struggle in the long run."

I worked at Appian full-time

Pros

Cool location. High base pay.

Cons

As a company, they hire too quickly. Please research the evaluation, the company's financial position before you make your decision. They're very much into branding themselves but, stay there a while, the shortcomings are pretty apparent

benefits - the base pay is high. However, health insurance etc are below standard.

clique-ey engineering organization. not inclusive. Best idea does not win. The one that shouted loudest, or, put forth by the popular person does. some smart people but very oblivious to their own weaknesses. this is the first job for many out of college and they think this is the best place to work at. in a sample space of 1. And so,
        1. they have a hard time retaining experienced people.
         2. the general workplace interaction is immature to put it mildly.

Might be a good company for first job out of college, but if this is not your first rodeo, best stay away

Appian Response

Jun 18, 2018 – VP, Product Development

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback even though things didn’t work out for you here. While we are scaling rapidly, our hiring plans are heavily scrutinized and planned in a way to... More

"Sales - Run Away!!!!!"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big on social activities at corporate but zero pros anywhere else.

Cons

The solution ( PaaS/BPM) is pretty much dead in the marketplace. IT hates it, the LOB's don't understand it and Appian is clueless on how to sell it. As a rep you'll be given 3-5 accounts( which more than likely have already been picked over by the previous 3 or 4 reps) and it's your job to overcome all of these issues. Expect no help from sales mgt., most talk a good game but have made their numbers at Appian by answering RFP's which were fed to them. FYI< Nepotism runs rampant in this company and all the sales leaders are either friends of the SVP of Sales or the owners themselves. They "feed" their favorite reps while the 150+ new reps get the garbage and micro-managed to death. Unless you're new to tech sales run away as fast as you can from this place, you have zero chance of making any money and it will be a big stain on your career.

Advice to Management

look for a buyer

"Nice for a time, but not great long haul"

I worked at Appian full-time

Pros

Great pay, nice perks in the office, good equipment and a laid back culture

Cons

The rate of growth was so fast there were hires made without really understanding what those hires would do.

"OK company..nothing great"

Current Employee - Architectural in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Architectural in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Been here for over a year..they promote themselves as the next big thing but leadership does not know where they are leading the company

Cons

Upper management is a closed group