Appian Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a great work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Close to a meritocracy, smart people, interesting work (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Wish HQ was in a different location then Reston Town Center (in 8 reviews)

• Turnover is relatively high in professional services, which can occasionally affect project morale (in 9 reviews)

1. "Unique, Rewarding and Challenging"

I have been working at Appian full-time

Pros

* Intelligent, dedicated and generous coworkers.
    * Engineering department moves quickly and stays current with (+ sometimes ahead of) industry trends.
    * Culture promotes meritocracy, openness, and quality. You can grow as quickly as you're able to take on more difficult projects.

Cons

* Few seasoned software engineers.
    * Limited resources, so large projects have to prioritized carefully and have to be deferred sometimes due to staffing/recruiting constraints.

Advice to Management

Preserve Appian's outstanding culture and selective hiring practices even as the company grows significantly.
    Find ways to attract more top talent, especially experienced engineers.

"Engineering is Great"

I have been working at Appian full-time

Pros

You will be given all the opportunities to grow you can. I read a lot of other reviews and I can tell they do not work in Engineering. It is almost like engineering is a different company than PS and Sales. In engineering things are amazing. Your voice is always heard and you have opportunities to drive real change.

Cons

The benefits are very poor for a software company. It is hard to get talent to jump ship to Appian with the cost of things like our health insurance. The 401k matching could be better and with a better company.

Advice to Management

As we grow we need to improve our benefits. You say you want to compete for engineers with Amazon/Facebook/Google/etc. but you can't do that on salary alone. Benefits really matter.

"Unorganized Department but Great Culture"

I have been working at Appian full-time

Pros

Appian in general is a great place to work, feels vibrant, energetic, people are nice and the culture is great. I feel totally relaxed when it comes to my work dynamic with others and my ability to properly balance work/life.

Cons

It is incredibly frustrating to see good people leave because of unfair compensation/unclear growth. The team as a whole does not feel organized, it seemed like there was movement towards that but no real improvements.

The floating holiday policy is very limiting, never seen that before at any other companies I've worked at where you can choose when to take your floating holiday. At Appian, you only get to choose between 6 pre-decided holidays unless they fall on a weekend. You can use it for your own birthday but only on the day it is happening and if it's on a weekday and for cultural/religious reasons as long as the manager approves. This is so incredibly limiting and I don't understand the reason behind it.

Advice to Management

Figure out the structure/roles/salary of employees here and what work they do because the severe differences in pay/expectations between associates, experienced associates, and non-associates doesn't make sense and will lead to more turnout than retention as we are starting to see.

"Working at Appian Professional Services will make you a Appian Ninja in a matter of months."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Becoming a pro at Appian
    New projects in new locations in the country
    Rotational programs
    Yearly company retreats
    Commuter benefits

Cons

Tight deadlines
    super long hours of work
    No sick leave policy
    Vacation approvals are very stringent
    No company bonuses
    Not enough focus on individuals career growth, yearly reviews not done on time

Advice to Management

Spend money on employees career growth instead of parties and getaways.

Sep 1, 2017 – CTO and Co-Founder

Thanks for your positive feedback. We're always looking for ways to enhance the benefits experience so I'm happy to hear you like the (relatively new) commuter benefit. Appian provides a bucket of... More

"the marketing emperor has no clothes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company. Aims to make businesses better. Strong product and sales team. It cares about its customers.

Cons

Marketing is completely dysfunctional. 80% of the department is a director or VP. They spend more time fighting about who gets to sit in what office, money or why they need more staff than actually producing valuable output for the company. Our engineering department is better at marketing than our own marketing department; which is just a baffling scenario. It is pretty ridiculous the quantity of staff and money that keeps piling into this operation without any accountability. Company just IPOd and still near zippo success at "marketing" or creating a "brand".

Advice to Management

Time to clean house in marketing or make them accountable. Pile money into successful operations and starve those that aren't producing.

Sep 1, 2017 – CTO and Co-Founder

Thank you for your feedback and for recognizing the company's strong focus on our customers. As for marketing, let's separate fact from hyperbole. We wouldn't be growing if things were like you... More

6. "Current Appianite"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

By far the best-cultured company I've worked at.

Cons

There are no downsides to working at Appian.

Sep 1, 2017 – CTO and Co-Founder

Thanks for the kind words!

"Wait and see"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Appian full-time

Pros

Great product that keeps getting better. Existing customers are growing.

Cons

Winning new logos is the big challenge. The sales strategy needs to evolve.

Advice to Management

Trust new hire talent. Loosen the reigns and let things happen.

Sep 1, 2017 – CTO and Co-Founder

Thanks for your feedback and for noticing how much work goes into the product. Winning new customers is always challenging, that part never changes. Feel free to contact me and my team directly if... More

"Best place to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever met. Great work environment & benefits.

Cons

None. I love this place.

Advice to Management

Keep doing an awesome job & listen to your people.

Aug 16, 2017 – CTO and Founder

Thanks! We love it too. We're always interested in listening to suggestions on how to make Appian even better.

"Strong Culture"

I have been working at Appian full-time

Pros

Appian has a high achieving employee population, without being populated by Type A egomaniacs. Appian' software provides a great value and has great potential. Employees move easily between departments and often people wind up in better roles doing great things.

People generally happy at Appian and feel like they make a difference at the company and with customers.

The Reston HQ office is beautiful with great views and good snacks and drinks.

Cons

Inconsistency. Management appears to change its mind too frequently.

Aug 16, 2017 – CTO and Co-Founder

Thanks for noticing the strong culture of collaboration and the virtues of our investment in a great location in which to work. Our CEO Matt deserves a great deal of credit for championing both... More

"Overall a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Learning and Development in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Learning and Development in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in the Talent Management department at headquarters in Reston, VA and really enjoy working for Appian! I've worked at many other companies and of course there are always things that can improve, but overall my experience here has been very positive. Here are the things that make me enjoy coming to work:
    - The people. Hands down this is the best company culture I've experienced. Everyone that works here is smart, driven, friendly, and excited about their work. They are also not afraid to have fun while getting work done, which is really important to me.
    - Work/life balance - I rarely have to stay late or work on weekends, which I had to do every week at my last job. Obviously, we stay when there are big projects/presentations or deadlines, but most of the time we work a standard workweek in my department.
    - Celebrations/awards - A lot of companies hit milestones and forget to celebrate all of the hard work that went into hitting those goals, but Appian does not. We recently went public and had a party for the entire company. Also, at every quarterly meeting several employees are recognized for doing amazing work with awards, which can sometimes include a plaque/trophy, stock options, or a trip! It's very cool to see people recognized for doing great work.
    - Free parking - I used to work in downtown DC where parking costs are outrageous, so it's nice to pull in the garage and not have to think about what it will cost to be at work that day.
    - Breakfast every Monday! I think no matter how much you enjoy your job, Mondays can suck so it's awesome to have breakfast waiting for me in the kitchen Monday morning. Small, but makes a big difference.
    - Successful company - It's nice to feel like you're a part of a winning team and Appian is doing really well!

Cons

As with any company, there are always a few things that could be better. I recently moved out to Reston because my commute from Alexandria was such a pain. I didn't trust the metro because it was so inconsistent and took forever and driving was a nightmare because of the traffic and if you choose to use the toll road (which is a lot faster) you end up paying $5.00 a day to get to work and home. I miss being closer to DC, but I got over 2 hours of my day (or 10 hours of my week) back.
    I also wish that the health insurance options were more affordable. My monthly costs for health insurance doubled from the last company I was with, so that is frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I appreciate that you've all stayed visible and available throughout the major changes we've been going through.