KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 402 of over 437 reviews

4.4
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins

What people are saying about Appian

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Rapid growth in number of employees also comes with challenges but management is aware of this and does their best to ensure the growth does not impact quality and company values.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Manager will have 1 on 1 with you every other week but it’s useless they just want to get rid of the people who are genuinely trying to fit it... all they care about is the people who are quick learners(in 9 reviews)
  • "Upper management is a closed group(in 5 reviews)
  • "People are expected to put in long hours often; some of the management is trying to change this.(in 5 reviews)
  • "There is no training after the intro academy or planned free time.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Appian and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year
    Featured Review

Fantastic Place to Work

Jan 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers. Great benefits. Great people. Great place to work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Great Work Culture

Sep 22, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employees all want to be there, do good work, and support each other. Management is set-up really well, and I felt like the managers I have had genuinely had my best interests in mind.

Cons

It feels like a lot of opportunities to move up are filled with external hires and the quality of the people hired isn't as high as it used to be; however, there are still opportunities to make an impact and be recognized for it.

3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent place to work if you don't have to interact with anyone above an SVP.

Jul 11, 2022 - Sr. Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, great colleagues, smart people, collaborative environment, free food on Mondays and Thursdays, free snacks and soda, everyday.

Cons

Completely out of touch leadership. Senior executives here believe their title makes them a leader. None have any idea how to motivate a team to follow. The CEO does not have any concept of strategic thinking, long range planning, empathy, or what it means to be customer focused. He links strategy to mean "the product we sell." He thinks empathy...well...he doesn't think empathy at all. He's a billionaire with zero connection to real people, real struggle and real life. So he has zero ability to actually attempt to step into someone else's shoes for a different perspective. Nor does he care to try. He thinks being customer focused is going to a meeting with a customer or taking them to dinner. Not a hint about ease of doing business, listening to a customer's needs and problems, understanding what a customer values, versus what he thinks he should be able to tell the customer to value. For the rest of the company that actually understands all three concepts, we know we are successful in spite of our executive team, not because of it.

19 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Frustrating and disappointing

Jul 25, 2022 - Sales in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The platform is great and was often chosen when evaluated for low code workflow / case management. There were a lot of smart and high achieving people. They're in good financial standing (based on public information) going into a potential recession and recently won a big $2B lawsuit against one of their biggest competitors.

Cons

A lot of the company is falling apart. It seems like every department is losing their top performers. The CRO was doing great and even he left. The equity they offered is a joke and made it easy to leave. Sales had some disasters this year - they had a failed reorg and an even worse commission plan rollout. Communication continued to be lacking when I left. Poor performance was tolerated and in some cases even led to promotions. Legal and deal desk were difficult and took too long. Customers were telling us they don't need or like the acquired RPA and process discovery tech but we were still told to push them with a message that didn't work. Selling Appian was very very hard, some really great salespeople have failed there. The partners and the prebuilt apps should've made prospecting easier but neither helped us. I found the founders arrogant and condescending whenever I worked with them. Not a very diverse company especially leadership.

15 people found this review helpful

Appian Response

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your candid feedback, although it sounds like your experience wasn’t as good as either of us would have liked. Appian greatly values feedback of current and former employees. We are proud of the investments we've been making towards our sales organization including changes to our training, career model and compensation, and look forward to continuing to enhance our employee experience. We wish you all the best on your new endeavors.

5. 5.0

Great Company

Sep 22, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cares about your career growth and making you happy

Cons

Has potential to be more innovative

6. 5.0

Great Leaders, Great Culture, Super-Smart Coworkers

Aug 30, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s collaborative and everyone is committed to succeeding and helping others succeed.

Cons

Remote working can impede developing strong relationships with coworkers. Not enough opportunities to get together with teammates in person.

7. 4.0

Great Product, Great Opportunities, Misaligned Management

Aug 26, 2022 - Director, Customer Success in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

--Very strong product, improving rapidly. --The low code market has great potential. The company is in the right place at the right time --Happy customers --Collegial culture.

Cons

--Management turnover and a poorly executed sales methodology is causing turnover of high-performing sales people. --The company is rapidly outgrowing the management systems, meaning many jobs suffer a greater admin burden than they should. --comp is not competitive for the software sector. Incentive and career management processes are immature. --conflicting incentives across groups make getting anything that requires cross functional collaboration very difficult to get done.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 1.0

Horrible leadership

Sep 20, 2022 - Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good product and customers seem to respond positively to the solutions. Nice HQ. Involved in the community. Very heavily focused on Federal market.

Cons

Terrible sales leadership. There is none. People are leaving in droves and Appian can't keep the ones they have in place. Expectations unrealistic with little or no thought to strategy

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Great place to work

Sep 6, 2022 - Technical Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance Pay Benefits Great office

Cons

Office is a bit isolated

10. 5.0

Fantastic Organization

Aug 29, 2022 - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture - Work life balance - Recognition - Colleagues - Product Quality - Services Quality

Cons

- Growing pains - Lack of strategic alignment (at times) - Lower comp

Viewing 1 - 10 of 402 Reviews

Appian Reviews FAQs

Appian has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 437 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at Appian to a friend and 80% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Appian employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Appian. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

87% of Appian employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Appian 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Appian to be career development, culture, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, management, benefits.

Popular Careers with Appian Job Seekers