Appian Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a great work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Close to a meritocracy, smart people, interesting work (in 13 reviews)

1. "Marketing"

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people! Growing company with lots of opportunity, access to management and the ability to contribute strategically.

Cons

Benefits could be better but company tries to make up for it with other perks.

Advice to Management

Find the right opportunities for the talent you have and grow the workforce at the same pace of the business to avoid burnout.

"Overall a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Learning and Development in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Learning and Development in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in the Talent Management department at headquarters in Reston, VA and really enjoy working for Appian! I've worked at many other companies and of course there are always things that can improve, but overall my experience here has been very positive. Here are the things that make me enjoy coming to work:
    - The people. Hands down this is the best company culture I've experienced. Everyone that works here is smart, driven, friendly, and excited about their work. They are also not afraid to have fun while getting work done, which is really important to me.
    - Work/life balance - I rarely have to stay late or work on weekends, which I had to do every week at my last job. Obviously, we stay when there are big projects/presentations or deadlines, but most of the time we work a standard workweek in my department.
    - Celebrations/awards - A lot of companies hit milestones and forget to celebrate all of the hard work that went into hitting those goals, but Appian does not. We recently went public and had a party for the entire company. Also, at every quarterly meeting several employees are recognized for doing amazing work with awards, which can sometimes include a plaque/trophy, stock options, or a trip! It's very cool to see people recognized for doing great work.
    - Free parking - I used to work in downtown DC where parking costs are outrageous, so it's nice to pull in the garage and not have to think about what it will cost to be at work that day.
    - Breakfast every Monday! I think no matter how much you enjoy your job, Mondays can suck so it's awesome to have breakfast waiting for me in the kitchen Monday morning. Small, but makes a big difference.
    - Successful company - It's nice to feel like you're a part of a winning team and Appian is doing really well!

Cons

As with any company, there are always a few things that could be better. I recently moved out to Reston because my commute from Alexandria was such a pain. I didn't trust the metro because it was so inconsistent and took forever and driving was a nightmare because of the traffic and if you choose to use the toll road (which is a lot faster) you end up paying $5.00 a day to get to work and home. I miss being closer to DC, but I got over 2 hours of my day (or 10 hours of my week) back.
    I also wish that the health insurance options were more affordable. My monthly costs for health insurance doubled from the last company I was with, so that is frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I appreciate that you've all stayed visible and available throughout the major changes we've been going through.

3. "Appian Corporation"

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The positive and welcoming community spirit was what I had heard about before coming to Appian, and I can say I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was true.

Communication between departments is encouraged and "the best idea wins" promotes creativity and thinking outside the box.

Appian encourages its employees by rewarding them with benefits like movie nights in Reston Town Center and outside activities where employees are urged to bring their families, like the winter party and the Spring Getaway. They also provide many catered lunches and breakfasts which are great perks throughout the work week.

Appian also promotes growth within the company, and employees are encouraged to find a position they are happy with. Appian realizes happy employees work hard and make for a better company.

Cons

Could use more PTO/paid holidays.

Advice to Management

The "best idea wins" should remain at the core of Appian, no matter which idea that department comes from, and please continue to be competitive with benefits--this area of living has very high standards!

4. "Exciting time at growing company"

Current Employee - Corporate Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Corporate Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive Salary
    - Smart coworkers
    - Ability to pivot and grow throughout company
    - Meaningful work

Cons

- The Town Center... the commute is far from DC
    - Inconsistent culture between different areas of the company

Advice to Management

Appian is a great place to work (especially as a recent grad). The biggest drawback, for me, is being so far from DC- where most young people prefer to live/work. The commute to Reston by car is variable, and by metro unreliable.

Jun 30, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I know Reston isn't ideal for everyone but the campus feel and access to amenities to improve work/life fit was a big part of the decision... More

"Yes, yes, yes."

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I didn't really think all the glowing ratings could be true when decided to accept the offer. THEY ARE. It is an exciting time to be in a growing company that cares so much about people and transforming business/government. The product is the real deal, powerful and fast. Leadership is passionate about the success of people and the amazing product. Everyone I've met is dedicated, bright, excited about the role they play. Bright people that you want to spend time with -- Best idea wins -- Management is highly accessible -- Team atmosphere with accountability -- Highly collaborative -- Lots of energy. Folks are allowed to be themselves, not a corporate drone. Appian is unlike any other company around the beltway. Way too many awesome things to list.

Cons

There are no cons. I respectfully disagree with the 'cons' from the other posts. Definitely a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Best company I've worked at in a decade. Bravo. Senior leadership is inspirational, accessible and engaged. Continue to do what you're doing.

Jan 17, 2017 – CTO & Co-founder

Thanks for taking the time to share your kind words about your experiences with Appian -- especially in comparison to other company cultures. If you do find something that doesn't meet your... More

"Dysfunctional Leadership, lack of empowerment."

Former Employee - Chanel Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Chanel Leader in New York, NY

Pros

Great vision, great product, cool founders

Cons

dysfunctional leadership especially worldwide sales leadership. Screaming and demeaning.....drives very talented people to leave and sub-optimizes the collective talent of the organization.

Advice to Management

You could be so great.....you are doing so many things right.....you have a central problem in sales leadership and this is stiffling the greatness of Appian. Also, there needs to be a greater respect for sales as a function.

Jan 17, 2017 – CTO & Co-founder

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate your kind words about our vision and product. We founders (and other executives) have always spent a lot of time in the field helping... More

"Good coworkers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with on a day to day basis. Company focuses on a single platform/product line so there is strong alignment across the firm. There is always competition for priorities, but much less so than software firms with many different products. Appian's product is built from ground-up rather than bolt-on acquisitions.

Cons

Low company profile. Hidden gem, but it means you often need to explain more to your friends/family about where you work as the name recognition is not there.

Advice to Management

Increase company profile

Dec 8, 2016

Thank you for the feedback and constructive criticism! I agree we are a hidden gem and am working with our marketing team and founders to build a stronger employment brand in the DC area and... More

"Anyone else seeing a pattern here?"

Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The hours are normally reasonable
    -They do give occasional lunch and breakfast
    -The work is challenging and there is a collaborative environment to solve problems in teams

Cons

-I saw a review posted previously that Appian posts fake reviews to Glassdoor. This is indeed true and I encourage you to take the positive reviews here with a grain of salt. Notice how there is always a positive review or two every time a negative review is posted. Obviously, the CTO will vehemently deny this allegation.
    -The culture used to be great and everyone knew each other's names. As the management became increasingly overconfident, the company struggled to keep it and its culture dissolved. Now, it's becoming more of a place where you just show up, put in your hours, and leave. The old timers have a sort of cult here where they do not welcome the new employees as warmly.
    -The Professional Services side is struggling. While not all consultants can be expected to be on projects at all times, it's unreasonable for a significant portion of them to not have meaningful work.
    -The best idea absolutely does not win. Your supervisor's opinions win. In all of my seven projects here, I've had to do work according to my supervisor's wishes, which are often inefficient and erroneous. The hierarchy is in fact not as flat as they claim. Again, you have to see it for yourself and the CTO will be expected to post a rebuttal to this claim. However, have real chats with people in various departments and you'll start noticing a pattern.
    -The management does not provide transparency. With the addition of the recent Quick Apps feature, the need for professional services decreases. In addition, clients are increasingly hiring contractors to do the work of PS because they are cheaper. To go in tandem with this trend, Appian is focusing more on the sales and engineering side. This all points to a future with a significantly cut PS department. It's not surprising why so many people are leaving. Their work is becoming less important and being replaced.
    -I do plan on leaving soon as every day feels completely repetitive and working here has become unenjoyable to say the least. The work you do often feels really insignificant and does not make an impact beyond a web page that someone may look at a few times for several minutes. However, you often spend hours and days perfecting that page and application. Appian is not what it used to be. I would agree that it used to be the place that the CTO touts but it is heading in a direction that should be avoided. They give high starting salaries to new college grads to allure them to join over taking other competing offers. I would advise against this as the skills here are non-transferable the longer you stay, the more pidgeon-holed you get into the Appian ecosystem. True, some skills such as project management and Agile methodology are commonplace but overall, there are better places to start your career, learn more and obtain useful skills, and do impactful work that feels that way, not the way the management wants it to feel.

Advice to Management

Stop deceiving potential employees on here with rebuttals that are only in your best interests. Stop treating employees with policies that are only in your best interests. As management, it is your duty to retain high quality employees but I can confidently state that those types of employees are seeing the lack of genuineness pervading the company. Admit some faults that you need to improve and stop portraying Appian as this perfect place to work, because it is not.

Nov 21, 2016 – CTO & Co-founder

Thank you for your feedback. I actively participate on Glassdoor in part to dig into areas of the company that we may have overlooked as we’ve grown. Investigating complaints provides an opportunity... More

"Fun Internship"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Reston, VA

I worked at Appian (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are all friendly and helpful. It's a very forgiving place to have your first or second internship. The company is growing really quickly, so it's an exciting time.

Cons

I didn't like GWT, which is what I used almost exclusively for development during my internship.

Oct 4, 2016 – CTO & Co-founder

Thank you for taking time out to provide your feedback. We used to use GWT to enable us to leverage Java's strengths in managing diverse Javascript UI's. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like working... More

"Spectacular Organization to work! Would and do recommend to all my friends!"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was excited to work for a young company with a strong product that is growing at amazing rate. The potential to grow within this company was a key factor for me. My favorite part about working for Appian is seeing how the product can help solve the most complex challenges in a manner that is significantly quicker then our competitors due to our simplicity and strength of our solution, PS organization and partners.

It is unlike any organization I have had the opportunity to work for in my career. It is a team made up of young go getters who are always willing to collaborate and make sure that we are all able to succeed as a team not just individually.

Cons

In comparison to other organizations that I have worked for as a Business Development Rep I can not name one.

Advice to Management

Continue to value you the hard workers and culture and I believe we will continue to be one of the best Software companies to work for in the region and industry!