Appian Reviews | Glassdoor

Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins

"Yes, yes, yes."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I didn't really think all the glowing ratings could be true when decided to accept the offer. THEY ARE. It is an exciting time to be in a growing company that cares so much about people and transforming business/government. The product is the real deal, powerful and fast. Leadership is passionate about the success of people and the amazing product. Everyone I've met is dedicated, bright, excited about the role they play. Bright people that you want to spend time with -- Best idea wins -- Management is highly accessible -- Team atmosphere with accountability -- Highly collaborative -- Lots of energy. Folks are allowed to be themselves, not a corporate drone. Appian is unlike any other company around the beltway. Way too many awesome things to list.

Cons

There are no cons. I respectfully disagree with the 'cons' from the other posts. Definitely a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Best company I've worked at in a decade. Bravo. Senior leadership is inspirational, accessible and engaged. Continue to do what you're doing.

Jan 17, 2017 – CTO & Co-founder

Thanks for taking the time to share your kind words about your experiences with Appian -- especially in comparison to other company cultures. If you do find something that doesn't meet your ... More

"Dysfunctional Leadership, lack of empowerment."

Former Employee - Chanel Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Chanel Leader in New York, NY

Pros

Great vision, great product, cool founders

Cons

dysfunctional leadership especially worldwide sales leadership. Screaming and demeaning.....drives very talented people to leave and sub-optimizes the collective talent of the organization.

Advice to Management

You could be so great.....you are doing so many things right.....you have a central problem in sales leadership and this is stiffling the greatness of Appian. Also, there needs to be a greater respect for sales as a function.

Jan 17, 2017 – CTO & Co-founder

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate your kind words about our vision and product. We founders (and other executives) have always spent a lot of time in the field helping ... More

"Good coworkers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with on a day to day basis. Company focuses on a single platform/product line so there is strong alignment across the firm. There is always competition for priorities, but much less so than software firms with many different products. Appian's product is built from ground-up rather than bolt-on acquisitions.

Cons

Low company profile. Hidden gem, but it means you often need to explain more to your friends/family about where you work as the name recognition is not there.

Advice to Management

Increase company profile

Dec 8, 2016

Thank you for the feedback and constructive criticism! I agree we are a hidden gem and am working with our marketing team and founders to build a stronger employment brand in the DC area and ... More

"Anyone else seeing a pattern here?"

Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The hours are normally reasonable
    -They do give occasional lunch and breakfast
    -The work is challenging and there is a collaborative environment to solve problems in teams

Cons

-I saw a review posted previously that Appian posts fake reviews to Glassdoor. This is indeed true and I encourage you to take the positive reviews here with a grain of salt. Notice how there is always a positive review or two every time a negative review is posted. Obviously, the CTO will vehemently deny this allegation.
    -The culture used to be great and everyone knew each other's names. As the management became increasingly overconfident, the company struggled to keep it and its culture dissolved. Now, it's becoming more of a place where you just show up, put in your hours, and leave. The old timers have a sort of cult here where they do not welcome the new employees as warmly.
    -The Professional Services side is struggling. While not all consultants can be expected to be on projects at all times, it's unreasonable for a significant portion of them to not have meaningful work.
    -The best idea absolutely does not win. Your supervisor's opinions win. In all of my seven projects here, I've had to do work according to my supervisor's wishes, which are often inefficient and erroneous. The hierarchy is in fact not as flat as they claim. Again, you have to see it for yourself and the CTO will be expected to post a rebuttal to this claim. However, have real chats with people in various departments and you'll start noticing a pattern.
    -The management does not provide transparency. With the addition of the recent Quick Apps feature, the need for professional services decreases. In addition, clients are increasingly hiring contractors to do the work of PS because they are cheaper. To go in tandem with this trend, Appian is focusing more on the sales and engineering side. This all points to a future with a significantly cut PS department. It's not surprising why so many people are leaving. Their work is becoming less important and being replaced.
    -I do plan on leaving soon as every day feels completely repetitive and working here has become unenjoyable to say the least. The work you do often feels really insignificant and does not make an impact beyond a web page that someone may look at a few times for several minutes. However, you often spend hours and days perfecting that page and application. Appian is not what it used to be. I would agree that it used to be the place that the CTO touts but it is heading in a direction that should be avoided. They give high starting salaries to new college grads to allure them to join over taking other competing offers. I would advise against this as the skills here are non-transferable the longer you stay, the more pidgeon-holed you get into the Appian ecosystem. True, some skills such as project management and Agile methodology are commonplace but overall, there are better places to start your career, learn more and obtain useful skills, and do impactful work that feels that way, not the way the management wants it to feel.

Advice to Management

Stop deceiving potential employees on here with rebuttals that are only in your best interests. Stop treating employees with policies that are only in your best interests. As management, it is your duty to retain high quality employees but I can confidently state that those types of employees are seeing the lack of genuineness pervading the company. Admit some faults that you need to improve and stop portraying Appian as this perfect place to work, because it is not.

Nov 21, 2016 – CTO & Co-founder

Thank you for your feedback. Myself and the executive team try to create a culture that is open and transparent. The reality is that occasionally employees will have a different experience and I ... More

"Fun Internship"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Reston, VA

I worked at Appian (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are all friendly and helpful. It's a very forgiving place to have your first or second internship. The company is growing really quickly, so it's an exciting time.

Cons

I didn't like GWT, which is what I used almost exclusively for development during my internship.

Oct 4, 2016 – CTO & Co-founder

Thank you for taking time out to provide your feedback. We used to use GWT to enable us to leverage Java's strengths in managing diverse Javascript UI's. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like working ... More

"Spectacular Organization to work! Would and do recommend to all my friends!"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was excited to work for a young company with a strong product that is growing at amazing rate. The potential to grow within this company was a key factor for me. My favorite part about working for Appian is seeing how the product can help solve the most complex challenges in a manner that is significantly quicker then our competitors due to our simplicity and strength of our solution, PS organization and partners.

It is unlike any organization I have had the opportunity to work for in my career. It is a team made up of young go getters who are always willing to collaborate and make sure that we are all able to succeed as a team not just individually.

Cons

In comparison to other organizations that I have worked for as a Business Development Rep I can not name one.

Advice to Management

Continue to value you the hard workers and culture and I believe we will continue to be one of the best Software companies to work for in the region and industry!

"Great Corporate Culture"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Reston, VA

Pros

I've enjoyed my time here at Appian because of the corporate culture, and the drive for growth. Everyone here has been very helpful to make sure that each employee is meeting their goals.

Cons

I have not seen any real negatives thus far. The company is in high growth mode and is experiencing some growing pains, but every company goes through that. It's worth it for what is on the other side.

Advice to Management

Make sure to remain competitive with benefits and compensation. Appian HQ is in the DC metro area where competition for employees is very tight.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Appian has a strong, positive culture - open communication is encouraged, my team is very supportive, and management treats employees very well. Also, It is extremely motivating to work for a company that rewards success with opportunity. There are a lot of ways you can take your career at Appian if you do well.

The people here are intelligent, hard-working, and a lot of fun to be around. Work-life balance is perfect. We are in the heart of Reston Town Center, which is a great place to walk around at lunch and has many different restaurants and shops.

Cons

To be honest, I can't think of any downsides to Appian at this point. It is definitely a great time to work for this company. No complaints!

Advice to Management

No advice - everything is running smoothly, management is supportive and interested in their employees, great culture and opportunities for company bonding, and wonderful building (HQ) to work in.

"The Best Ideas Win"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Appian is a great place to work. The company offers incredible opportunities including the chance to do meaningful and valuable work, move to other departments, spend time in an international office, join continuing education sessions on a multi-week basis and work with brilliant colleagues. The product is a market leader in multiple spaces and it's clear that stakeholder are taking this company and product in the right direction.

Cons

Very few. Some enjoy the fantastic Reston Town Center HQ location but for others its distance from DC (or any other major city) is considered a con.

Advice to Management

Keep doing more of the same! Continue being transparent and hiring people that fit our company culture.

"Sales Organization"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Sales organization here is an open floor for discussion. Everyone's opinion is valued and the entire organization can be leveraged throughout the entire sales cycle, all the way up to the executives of the company. This makes selling here very unique, and rewarding. As a member of the BDR team I feel like I am learning great skills to continue my education about selling in the software industry.

Once you are hired at Appian they want to make sure you are happy, to the point where even if you want to try a new role, they can facilitate that transition within the organization.

Head quarters is also in the Reston town center which has a plethora of its own perks.

Cons

So far I have no cons about working here.

Advice to Management

It would be great if management would plan more team building events. We have a couple a year but more outings would definitely make for some fun experiences and the chance to build relationships with other departments of the company.