Arnold Clark Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Arnold Clark

2.4

Car Valeter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Had my interview for the job which was a fairly standard set up and a pretty relaxed environment. This was over a week ago and still haven't heard amything, now I don't mind if I didn't get the job but they just leave you not knowing at all. Bad practice in my opinion.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Premise: I applied for a Software Engineer position from outside Scotland, passing through a talent recruiting company.

I don't want to judge the final decision. I just want to say that it was a very awkward experience that I have never had in my life and I hope I will be able to avoid in the future.

The interview process took almost two months, partly because of the time I took to develop their technical test, mostly because of their slow working rhythm (which is some way I consider positive).

I had my first interview with the talent recruiter on the phone and then I received a technical test to work on. I put a lot of effort in the test as I wanted to impress them with my code skills, completeness of the solution and testing coverage. The test had been made available on github for them to review in full. On that I had a technical interview. I had the impression that they did not look at it until the moment we started the conversion (it can be just an impression though).

After that, everything looking great, I was invited to their Development Center in Glasgow. My communication was only with the recruiter, to whom I immediately asked whether some part of my trip was paid by the company (accommodation, transportation...). They told me that unfortunately everything was out of my pocket. At the beginning I did not want to embark in this, an employee does not really feel drawn by such behavior.
    Then I talked with the recruiter, which was confident that I would get the job and that it was worth risking, and, with substantial investment on my part, I went there.

The morning of the face-to-face interview, at their headquarters, I had another conversation on my test, explaining and detailing again why I made this or that choice, what I would change if I had to implement it "for real" and highlighting that after all that was just a test I had fun with.
    It was a bit weird that we went over the test again, but they had just hired another person for the position (they were slowly building the team) and they wanted him to judge my work. I then discovered that they hired this person even if he did not submitted a complete solution to the test.
    Afterwards I started pair programming with him on a real problem. He described me very clearly the issue at hand and we started discussing about the solution. All the decision were taken together, as a sort of mini-team. At the end we agreed that the solution would be "on these lines".

I was not selected. They wrote me some feedback on why they decided not to (and by the way I am grateful for that). This is the most difficult part to describe and I will try to be objective.

Objectively the company does not do anything to lure good and skilled workers to them. The fact that I had to pay my trip to Scotland is an example of how a company should never behave if it wants to improve its talent store. Not that I was that talent, they did not select me after all, but then why inviting me? Why not rejecting me directly after the test (in the feedback they said one of the reasons was that I had done "too much" in the test, I had not been YAGNI, and they invited me to take it again) ?
    This might also mean that they are not financially strong enough to do it (I was a "final stage" candidate after all), and this is kind of scary as well.

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Waste of time for everyone involved.

"Interview" consisted of myself answering a series of vague and unrelated questions to the job I was applying for.

I can't remember the interviewers' names as they were both completely unremarkable, one of them actually never spoke throughout the entire interview. The one that did was so out of his depth, it was obvious after only 1 question he didn't know what he was doing. He had zero confidence in conducting such an important task.

I was invited back for a skills test after the first interview, after a week of radio silence I was then rejected.

Feedback was I failed my first interview. If that was the case, why was asked to return for a second interview and skills test?

Totally amateurish setup.

Arnold Clark has since asked me to re-apply.

I've politely asked them to never contact me ever again. I made my position very clear on this.

Interview Questions

• They asked various vague questions that were not relevant to the position I applied for.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online following a email from my Lecturer at Uni advising me of the opening. The job was advertised on s1Jobs.com in the UK, but AC do promote their openings within the University and as such I thought I had a decent chance at an offer at least... Boy I was wrong!

The emailed me to confirm some personal details and asked me to complete a technical test within a day of submitting my application, and subsequently requested a technical test to be completed.

I sent everything back within the agreed timescale, but never heard back from Arnold Clark... nothing at all. I emailed them a couple of times to ask for some feedback, but they never bothered replying.

I submitted my code and files to my Curriculum Lecturer at Uni (I am a 4th year honour Student in Mobile and Web Development) and he told me that all my code was pretty good and there was not much to add to it really... He told me that it was above what he would expect to receive for such task.

I never actually spoke to anyone at AC so they only really have my code to rely on... which makes it even more disheartening to not hear back at least...

Interview Questions

• I was contacted within a few days of my application being sent. The first email was to confirm that was aware of the location (Glasgow, Hillington) and the hours. They also wanted to confirm that I was eligible to work in the UK.

Once I sent my reply, it took a day for them to send me a technical test to complete. They did not mention any timeline for completion however they suggested returning the completed files within a week. The test was completely open and they only provided very little guidance as they mention wanting to see the best you can do, and as such they let you choose which language to use.   1 Answer

Internal Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Manchester, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Interview Questions

• The process involved a telephone interview then coming in for a first stage interview face to face then a 2nd stage which involved meeting some of the team. The process was ok and quite relaxed not very intense or nerve racking.   1 Answer

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

First contact via email then face to face
    Panel interview with hiring manager and one other.
    Competency based questions
    Why Arnold Clark?
    What do you know about Arnold Clark?
    Where do you see yourself in 2/3 years?

Interview Questions

• Why Arnold Clark?
      What do you know about Arnold Clark?   1 Answer

Service Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elgin, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Elgin, Scotland (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Casual. The manager pretending to be a friend, badly, to get me in the door due to there difficulty in keeping good staff. I was told repeatedly how good a place it was to work.

Interview Questions

• Did I have a driving licence.   1 Answer

SERVICE ADVISOR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stirling, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Stirling, Scotland (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

Got called back fairly quickly after applying and invited for an interview. Interview was very informal. The person interviewing me was very chatty, so much so I felt I couldn’t get my personality across.

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in December 2018.

Interview

1. Phone interview, focus on basic skills and experience.
    2. Group interview, a show round of the office followed by a group task/presentation. (some members of the panel were clearly not interested in being there)
    3. One-to-one with 3 team leads and a serious of quickfire questions. Mostly good questions to gauge your personality. Feels like some of these were pulled from a "how to interview" manual rather than being thought out.

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Arnold Clark's career pager and received my offer for Marketing Executive one month lather.

Overall, it was a very thorough process, but that's to be expected if you want to work for one of the biggest automotive companies in UK. The salary is competitive and you get to work on some awesome projects. If I wasn't selected for the role, I would feel like my ideas were "farmed", but you have to "roll the dice if you want to play the game". I had a strong resume, backed by very relevant previous experience, and nailed every one of my interviews with good documents/followup.

Interview Questions

• The creative approach is what really separates candidates for this role. This is the point where a good candidate stands out from the rest.   Answer Question