Arnold Clark Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arnold Clark Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2017

2.8

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arnold Clark.

Interview

I sent my application away and got accepted for the first stage and got sent a design document. I finished it in approximately 1 week and sent it back and it took the company about 3 weeks to respond, then I got a Skype interview with the senior developers and it was just an overview of my approach.

The work I produced was very well written, I had a senior from my current team who has 8 years javascript experience look over my work and he told me it's perfect. So I got an email back telling me I was unsuccessful with a contradictory "your code and testing was satisfactory but we think that your javascript skills are not too standard"

Just to note that I used node which is standard, I wrote selenium testing, everything was done very efficiently.

I had to constantly chase this company as I was told they would get back to me in a day or so.

I probably avoided a bullet. I will post the github repository

Interview Questions

• What was your approach and why?   1 Answer

Arnold Clark Response

Jul 11, 2017 – Community Manager

Thank you for leaving a review of our recruitment process, and for your interest in working for Arnold Clark. Firstly, I’d like to offer my sincere apologies for the delay in assessing your... More

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)).

Interview

Questions based on my sales experience and my personal life. Just a general chat based on my work and personal life. Job was offered to me there and then. I don't know what else to say, i just need to build up my 50 words minimum.

Graduate Branch Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark in April 2017.

Interview

Comunication a bit poor. They have tried to call few times but ignored them as unknown number.eventually I call them back and found out the interview was the same day. At the interview they asked me questions about my cv and what did I know about Arnold Clark. Overall very pleasant and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example when you had to deal with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

The recruitment and selection process took around 3 weeks from being called for an interview to being offerred the position.

The recruitment process consisted of 2 interviews . Both interviews were in front of 2 members of the Arnold Clark HR department. The staff were lovely and made me feel really relaxed and able to answer their questions honestly. I thought the questions asked were fair and not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• How would you say you would handle a difficult employee?   Answer Question

Graduate Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stirling, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Stirling, Scotland (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Relatively straightforward, send CV and AC gets back to you to arrange an interview if successful. The only problem was there was a lot of going back and forth with HR to supply different documents etc. The interview itself was simple with an Area Manager asking questions about yourself, a couple technical questions, what you know about the company etc. It lasted roughly half an hour to 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• What is the journal entry for a prepayment on rent?   1 Answer

Senior Ruby Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online directly via the careers section of the website and received an email containing the instructions to complete a technical test which was attached.

I believe I submitted a perfectly good attempt at this but after two weeks of no updates I emailed the person who sent the initial technical test email and then called a week later after still not having received a response.

The recruiter asked if I hadn't been contacted and I said I hadn't received anything and then a few days letter I received an email from a new recruiter telling me that I had been unsuccessful.

When I asked for more information the feedback I was given was that the solution I provided wasn't deemed to be at the correct level for the senior role.

Personally I was a bit disappointed as I would have liked to have the opportunity to reach the interview stage and discuss any questions they might have had about my solution or any approaches and decisions I made.

The lack of communication and useful feedback is also quite disappointing considering the time and effort that goes into completing the test itself.

Interview Questions

Arnold Clark Response

Aug 5, 2016 – Community Manager

Thank you very much for leaving a review of our recruitment process, and for your interest in working for Arnold Clark. Our award-winning Digital Product Development department has... More

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Arnold Clark.

Interview

1st interview over telephone. 2nd interview followed by competency based questions and a test asking for current legislation matters like maternity etc..the one to one interview before the final stage was geared more towards highlighting how busy it is rather than what the job actually entails.

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Manchester, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview, 2nd interview with senior HR advisor which involves competency on things like maternity, redundancy etc. 3rd interview presentation with a board of people HR Director, Senior HR advisor once more and HR Advisor. The HR director will speak with you first the. You must give a presentation to the panel. Please go off your gut instinct with this as you will be working with two of the panel.

Interview Questions

• All HR aspects. You must know current legislation pay, redundancy process etc   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Premise: I applied for a Software Engineer position from outside Scotland, passing through a talent recruiting company.

I don't want to judge the final decision. I just want to say that it was a very awkward experience that I have never had in my life and I hope I will be able to avoid in the future.

The interview process took almost two months, partly because of the time I took to develop their technical test, mostly because of their slow working rhythm (which is some way I consider positive).

I had my first interview with the talent recruiter on the phone and then I received a technical test to work on. I put a lot of effort in the test as I wanted to impress them with my code skills, completeness of the solution and testing coverage. The test had been made available on github for them to review in full. On that I had a technical interview. I had the impression that they did not look at it until the moment we started the conversion (it can be just an impression though).

After that, everything looking great, I was invited to their Development Center in Glasgow. My communication was only with the recruiter, to whom I immediately asked whether some part of my trip was paid by the company (accommodation, transportation...). They told me that unfortunately everything was out of my pocket. At the beginning I did not want to embark in this, an employee does not really feel drawn by such behavior.
    Then I talked with the recruiter, which was confident that I would get the job and that it was worth risking, and, with substantial investment on my part, I went there.

The morning of the face-to-face interview, at their headquarters, I had another conversation on my test, explaining and detailing again why I made this or that choice, what I would change if I had to implement it "for real" and highlighting that after all that was just a test I had fun with.
    It was a bit weird that we went over the test again, but they had just hired another person for the position (they were slowly building the team) and they wanted him to judge my work. I then discovered that they hired this person even if he did not submitted a complete solution to the test.
    Afterwards I started pair programming with him on a real problem. He described me very clearly the issue at hand and we started discussing about the solution. All the decision were taken together, as a sort of mini-team. At the end we agreed that the solution would be "on these lines".

I was not selected. They wrote me some feedback on why they decided not to (and by the way I am grateful for that). This is the most difficult part to describe and I will try to be objective.

Objectively the company does not do anything to lure good and skilled workers to them. The fact that I had to pay my trip to Scotland is an example of how a company should never behave if it wants to improve its talent store. Not that I was that talent, they did not select me after all, but then why inviting me? Why not rejecting me directly after the test (in the feedback they said one of the reasons was that I had done "too much" in the test, I had not been YAGNI, and they invited me to take it again) ?
    This might also mean that they are not financially strong enough to do it (I was a "final stage" candidate after all), and this is kind of scary as well.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Arnold Clark (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

i filled in an application form, i heard back from arnold clark recruitment (GTG) about two weeks later, they asked me to come into the branch for an interview where i gave them my CV and they asked me a few questions of why i would be suitable for this job.