Arthur Murray Dance Centers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 26, 2017

2.4

Dance Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers (Roanoke, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

I had interviews over 2 days a total of about 4 hours. They asked me about my work and dance experience and a lot of different questions to figure out my personality. At the end they told me I would do well at AMDC, but that particular studio was looking for a different personality. Then they gave me tips for applying to other AMDC studios: different cities to apply to, some of my strengths to develop and capitalize on, and some questions to expect in interviews. Studios will be more willing to hire people who want to make a career out of it.

Interview Questions

• What is your ideal career path and what steps are you taking to get there? Why AMDC? Why this city? How do you act in different social situation? Describe your personality   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers.

Interview

The first interview included several people applying for the same job at the same time. You all waited in the waiting room until you were called back. The initial interview was a one on one with basic questions. Then there was a second interview with the studio owner who couldn't be bothered to dress appropriately for the interview. Once offered the job, the job title was completely different and the schedule/hours completely different than advertised

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Bait and switch. Was told I was interviewing to be a instructor, they told me the only position available was a secretary. They did not care I had 15 plus years of dance experience, but only wanted to hear how well i could sell. Gross company.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hayward, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers (Hayward, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

-They post everywhere for receptionist position, but everyone gets interviewed to be a dance instructor instead.
    - Went to one location close to home, they moved me to a second interview (different further location) and did not ask questions regarding a receptionist position only for a dance instructor.
    -They are only ever hiring new dance instructors so they can put more money in their pockets. They move dance instructors to a receptionist position if they don't meet the skills of an instructor after an intensive 6 week training process.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to be an instructor?
      What are your teaching skills?
      What is your sales ability like?   Answer Question

I declined because I was interesting in an administrative role like they had posted for, and have no interest in being a ballroom dance teacher. After i declined they did not offer me a receptionist even after they tried talking me into the instructor role.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers (Portland, OR) in November 2015.

Interview

All four PDX studios are owned by the same people. They put ads out on Craigslist saying no experience is necessary. I responded, and was promptly invited to an orientation/audition at the Vancouver location. Due to weather, only three others showed up. We filled out a simple registration form, had a brief introduction in the office, and did a sampling of some dances including the waltz and salsa. They watch you from the moment you walk in. What is presence like? How do you interact with others? Follow directions? Respond to learning the dances? Comfort trying new things and touching other dancers? They watch for all of this. They want it to be a good match. At the conclusion, the owner and her partner had a brief powwow. When they returned, two of us were to go with the fellow, one gal the owner wanted to talk too, and one gal was excused for the evening. The two of us were invited to phase two of the interview process in a couple of days. And that was that. Personally, I liked all the instructors I met and had a blast.

Interview Questions

• They don't want you if you just want to dance as a hobby or have a job. They want people with passion, sales abilities, personality and the ambition to make dancing your life. Let it be your career and passion.   1 Answer

Arthur Murray Dance Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers (Alpharetta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

I went in to speak with the assistant manager, who is very nice. After talking for about 15 minutes, we went on the dance for to test my skills as a leader and follower. We danced no more than 5 or 7 minutes. Afterwards, she asked me to come back to speak with the studio owner. On my second interview, we discussed at length the pay scale. When you begin, you are paid to learn the dances, and you are paid approx. 330 per week. After training, you still receive the base + $9-$10 per lesson. After you aquire a lot of students, the base pay is removed, and pay is solely from commission of lessons taught. This job is full time work with part-time pay! I had to decline the job offer. This is definitely not a job for anyone who has to support themselves, and as they knew that I was trying to relocate to the ATL area, they should not have even wasted my time!

Interview Questions

• How long have you been dancing?   2 Answers

Because the job pays next to nothing. You will not be able to afford an apartment, groceries, etc on peanuts!

Dance Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers (Denver, CO) in August 2015.

Interview

I had to do a dance demonstration. What they are mainly looking for is someone who has a kind and welcoming personality. My manager would say that it's a lot easier to train someone to dance than to train them to be nice. They also look for punctuality and professional dress. They are pretty focused on looks, so if you're a female I recommend wearing a lot of make-up. Dress like you are going to a wedding, but make sure that your clothes aren't too revealing. Make sure you smell clean, but avoid wearing perfume or cologne. Make sure you're exuding confidence (even if you're faking it!)

Interview Questions

• The only question that I was asked was if I had any questions.   1 Answer

Dance Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers.

Interview

One on one interview: meh.
    Three day "training": Kind of all over the place. The owners didn't involve at all, maybe a few min. I though this was odd since I think they would be making the final decision about who to hire, they seemed kind of childish and condescending.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers (Naperville, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I had to go to three different interviews. I had to meet my immediate supervisor get the okay from him. Then I met with the Owner got the okay from him and lastly I met the Owners wife who also Owned the Studio at the time to get the final okay.

Interview Questions

• They didn't have any specific questions for you to ask. They just wanted to get a feel for you as a person...how you dressed...were you professional...are you personable...what skills do you have. If the three people that interview you liked you and thought you would be a good fit then you got the job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really was no negotiation phase. I was told I would be paid weekly and I would be making x amount of money an hour. No sick days, holidays, or health or dental.

Dance Instructor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arthur Murray Dance Centers in October 2014.

Interview

Took about 30 minutes. I met with the manager as well as the Owner. Over all, good interview experience, however it took forever to hear back from them afterward. I kept asking for updates and no one ever knew anything about the status of my interview. Took about 7-8 weeks to get an answer.