Ascend One Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

Sort:

Network Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ascend One (Columbia, MD) in December 2009.

Interview

Got a call from their HR department to come in and meet with the hiring managers. I first met with the CIO and Development manager and had a get to know you interview which lasted about 20 minutes. I then met with the Networking director, and the IT manager. This interview was somewhat technical.

People seemed nice, office was nice, and seemed to be cool culture. AscendOne was voted as one of the top places to work in Baltimore area.

Interview Questions

• How many bits do you need for a subnet size.   3 Answers

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Ascend One (Columbia, MD) in November 2009.

Interview

Had a conversation with the HR Director. She was pleasant, but I was coming off the flu and frankly did not put my best foot forward. They declined to continue, which was a shame as it was a great position and I think I could have nailed it. Lesson to me, when sick, delay a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to describe my experience working with C level executives.   Answer Question

Certified Credit Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ascend One (Columbia, MD) in February 2010.

Interview

I got this job from a friend who referred me in. I filled out an application on the website first, then my friend sent my resume to the company. I received an email informing me of a phone interview with a recruiter. I then was required to take a test of simple data entry.I was called for a second interview at the office face to face .

Customer Care Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ascend One (Columbia, MD) in April 2010.

Interview

Initially rec'd a phone call from HR recruiter who never introduced herself, the company or the position. She simply started with, "this is Tina, I'm calling to schedule an interview with you". Very unprofessional, I actually did a backsearch on the phone number to ensure it was legitimate.

Actual interview was with 2 managers, who frankly I'm not sure I'd hire to work for me, let alone manage people. Interview went about an hour with no surprises or challenges. At the end, one of the interviewers simply got up and left the room and the other one said, "I guess that's the end of the interview". I asked about next steps and was told I'd hear back within the week on next steps. I asked both interviewers for business cards and they claimed they couldn't give me one.

Never rec'd any follow-up so I reached out at about the week and a half point and 2 days later rec'd a generic "you weren't selected to proceed" e-mail.

Not at all impressed by the organization, frankly not sure I'd have accepted an opportunity there given how unprofessional everyone I met was....

Interview Questions

• How do you handle employees with performance problems?   Answer Question
    • How did you interview to ensure the right candidates are chosen?   Answer Question

Customer Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ascend One (Columbia, MD) in February 2013.

Interview

The interviewers begin with "Tell me a little about yourself and why you are applying for this position." They are really big on the "Tell me a about a time when..." questions. Make sure you describe the situation, explain how you handle the situation and the end result based on how you handled the situations.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Ascend One.

Interview

I had several interviews for different position before actually being hired at the company. All interviews were telephone interviews only. I never got any follow up to the interviews, or had my calls returned. The exception was when I was notified I was offered the position. One of the interviews I had, I was never contacted and after calling them several times, they let me know that the person had some sort of mix up.

After being hired, I was informed that I would have 4 weeks of onsite training, after I would be working at home. 2 days we spent half the day on the phones. All of us informed them we were not ready to be on the phone & had NO clue what we were doing. They sent us home to start "on the job training" after 2 weeks. While we were taking calls, we could ask questions (via IM) to any manager in our department or a mentor, but no one was really available to assist us because the managers were in meeting & the mentors were always on other calls.

The job description said they paid between $16-23/hour. Based on my 15 YEARS of experience, I was confident I would be on the higher end. When offered the position, they said the position actually paid $15 and some change. They explained some LENGTHY process on how they determine pay rate based on each year of experience, so they couldn't actually negotiate she said. They said that the online pay rate was an error (but it was on every job posting for that position for over 6 months). I accepted the job because they would not negotiate, it was a work at home job (I did not have reliable transportation), and I hadn't been working for a while so I needed something.

Once hired, they gave me a set schedule that I was required to work for at least 6 months. I was told after that, I could stay on the schedule or change if I wanted and that neither would be any issue. She said they are about work/life balance and would work with me. While in training I was informed that every 3 months they have mandatory shift bids based on seniority. They were actually between 4-7 months. The shift bids were fine AT FIRST- there were MANY options (same schedule each day, different schedule through the week, split shifts, day, evening, and mid shifts). When the company decided they needed to cut cost due to financial problems the hours changes & the shifts to choose from were pretty much ALL undesirable. They were never willing to work with you either. If you got a shift you couldn't work, you had to figure it out or get a new job.

When hired I was told that it was not typical customer service (call center type). They said you manage accounts and help customers (being a coach). You need to take the time to ensure the customer gets the help they need. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was EXACTLY like a typical call center, if you don't meet 1 of the 8 quotas (by even .5%), you will be at risk & threatened to lose your job. The main priority will ALWAYS be the bottom line (numbers). Its more like an assembly line of calls, the length of the call (and your call time) is what they treat as MOST important.

Week 3 of employment, they had a company wide layoff which concerned me considering how much they had been recently hiring. They laid several people off in our department, none of which were new hires. We had MAJOR layoffs about every year I was there. But continued to hire more workers at the same time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No Negotiation. The pay was less then the job description despite 15 years of experience, they said they would not negotiate AT ALL.

Creditor Negotiator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ascend One (Columbia, MD) in August 2011.

Interview

I received an email asking when I would be available for a phone interview. I received an email from an HR rep, but someone else conducted the phone interview. I was asked various questions about my resume. The phone interview was significantly unprofessional because the interviewer conspicuously laughed; nevertheless, I never stated anything facetious. What exactly was it that she found so zany? The next day, I received the rejection email.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position? Why are you looking to leave your current position? What kind of position are you interested in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend One (Columbia, MD) in June 2011.

Interview

Multiple Phone Interviews

The final interview was with two hiring managers and last for about 50 minutes. They had me answering questions about my sales strategy and asked my to role play a sales situation.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend One (Columbia, MD) in August 2010.

Interview

the interview was quite lengthy to get a feel for your sales ability. there were not a lot of technical questions about finances. there were just questions about how would you respond to various hypothetical situations from a sales standpoint

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there was not a negotiation

Solutions Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ascend One in February 2010.

Interview

There were two phone interviews since the company is headquartered in Maryland and at the time they were seeking to hire in North Carolina. Two managers conducted each interview. The interview process was pretty easy, standard questions. Once the interviews were complete, an offer was presented quickly and a training class was set-up locally. The 4 week training class was helpful but more recent training classes were all virtual and only 2 weeks which could explain why a majority of the new hires performed below expectations.