Atomic Object LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Atomic Object LLC

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Atomic Object LLC

Intern Interview

Interview

The process that I took to get an internship with AO was atypical... My adviser had emailed my resume to several different companies, one of which being Atomic Object. The owner of the company, Carl Erickson, quickly initiated emails back and forth to determine when would be a good time for us to have a phone interview. Within a week or two of my resume being sent off to the company (if I recall correctly), I had a 30-minute chat with Carl about my previous experience, what sort of interests I had in the field, and how I envisioned an internship going. He also explained their work culture (which is fairly relaxed-- jeans and t-shirt acceptable when not working with clients; work days start as your team requires or by the 9:00 daily stand up meeting; the office does not have designated seats or cubicles, and employees are encouraged to interact with each other both with technical questions inside the office and hanging out casually outside the office). The conversation ended with him directing me to the online application for interns and me agreeing to come to the office for another interview; the day/time would be scheduled later. I did not hear anything for several weeks and ended up emailing Carl back asking about the visit to the office. He quickly responded and indicated that things were getting rather busy with the company, but he still wanted to do the interview. A couple weeks later, he asked me to come in early on a Friday. (All potential interns were coming in for an interview that day so that they could call everyone back that afternoon with a final decision. I was to be one of three interviewed, and they would select two for an internship.) The interview lasted about 30-45 minutes and took place with Carl and another employee who had graduated from the same university I was attending. They asked a number of basic questions, some being similar to questions that were asked during the phone interview. It was a very pleasant conversation, and I enjoyed my visit. That afternoon, they called to inform me that I had gotten the internship.

Interview Questions

• No question seemed exceptionally hard or out-of-place. Most of the interview was spent getting to know me and which classes I had taken instead of asking a lot of programming questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atomic Object LLC (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2016.

Interview

They give you a lengthy questionnaire to fill out. This could be a negative for some people because you don't get to talk to anyone about atomic before you spend several hours trying to put together answers. I got a first interview I though was super simple except for one question. "Describe your first year at Atomic Object". Just seems like an odd question to me. I suppose they are looking at behavioral things. So after a straight forward easy interview I did not get an offer. I inquired why because sometimes it may be just some misunderstanding or can be resolved by explaining something better. I got no response to that. That's not the way I expect small companies to behave. Additionally they oversell themselves. They try to make a point to say all there positions are excellent for someone who is creative. I am aware of some of the places they are in and know that can't possibly be true. It seems like they do mostly small projects. If you want to build something big and complicated I think this is not the place for you but I could be wrong on that point.

Interview Questions

Atomic Object LLC Response

Jan 14, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time to apply at Atomic Object. We're very sorry that nobody responded to your request for feedback after your interview. We make a point to provide feedback to candidates when... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Atomic Object LLC (Ann Arbor, MI) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online and very quickly received a lengthy questionnaire, which I filled out the next day even though it took me an unreasonable amount of time considering I hadn't even spoken with an employee at that point. After about 3 weeks they finally called for the next step of the interview. After such a long time I already had several offers on the table and was planning on cancelling, but I figured why not, I may as well use the interview practice. What followed was one of the least attractive/competitive interviews I have ever done. I got the sense that they thought they were gods because they have jobs and everyone must kneel before them and beg for employment. In this competitive environment for software developers, we don't need to take crap like that, but as I said I did it for practice and to see what the company was about. Needless to say I will not be applying here again. Let me explain:

We scheduled a 1-hour phone interview, even though I live in Ann Arbor and would have happily (and preferably) come on-site for an interview. Before the interview, and before I had ever spoken with an AO employee, they sent me a document describing the work environment. I would compare it to a set of preconditions that are designed to filter out people who do not agree with their methods. I strongly disagreed with most of the items, but again I did the interview anyways and lied about my agreement just to see how far I could get (I imagine lots of people are doing the same thing just to get an offer even though they would turn it down).

Their work environment description contained such items as:
     * Paired programming (yuck, I'm an industry professional, not a student!)
     * Hourly pay, not salary
     * "Average" 40-45 hours per week. Are you serious?
     * Noisy environment and they discourage headphones (which would make me productive in a noisy environment)
     * Actively invest your own time attending conferences and workshops, makes it sound like unpaid work.
     * Every 40 days you have to write a blog post for their corporate spin machine (would this be unpaid also?)

Anyways, I outwardly agreed to all these items even though I actually disagree with them, but it seems that's the homogeneous attitude they're cultivating at AO. Then came the phone interview.

I spoke with two engineers over the phone where they quizzed me on code and database topics, and had me write code on a certain website that allowed them to see what I was typing as I was doing it. That part was all straightforward and I kind of liked the exercise. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I didn't get to the next phase of the interview because most of my experience is with C/C++ and they want C# and MacOS gurus. But at the end I was left thinking what kind of developers do they have working there, that all acquiesce to these wholly uncompetitive terms (or who will do/say anything to get a job)? I guess when you're hiring students straight out of college they don't know any better, but I have been working already 5 years and I know that the grass is greener elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Design a database to represent an airport system with flights, airplanes, baggages and customers   Answer Question

Software Craftsman Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Atomic Object LLC (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

Atomic's interview process started with a phone call. The interviewer walked through Atomic's values and expectations, and talked a bit about how the company works day to day. There weren't a whole lot of questions for me, I basically gave my reaction to what was discussed and a bit of information about my background.

Next came a "homework assignment". On Friday at 5pm, I was given a problem to solve over the weekend with a cutoff at 8am Monday morning. The assignment was fairly challenging - it required solving an NP-complete program in Clojure, a language that I hadn't worked with at the time. I was told to expect that it would take me 8 hours to complete, and probably spent closer to twice that before submitting my solution.

Next came a full day interview. The morning was split into 3 sessions. Two of the sessions were fairly technical, and the third session focussed more on communication and interpersonal skills. I had lunch with a few people, and then an afternoon pair programming session writing a web application.

All in all, I thought it was a fairly thorough and useful interview process. I got to meet a ton of the people I'd be working with and got a pretty good feel for the level of technical talent (very high) at the company.

Interview Questions

• The question I left regretting my answer to was "give us an example of a situation where you feel that you were asked to do something outside of your job role, and how you reacted to that". There were all sorts of times when I was asked to do things outside the traditional job role, and I never thought twice about it. I should have picked one of those instances to talk about rather than the one instance where I really wasn't well equipped to handle what was asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was sent to me via email. I probably could have scheduled an in-person meeting to negotiate but I thought the offer was fair and accepted it as it was.