Austin Energy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 6, 2017

2.5

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Austin Energy (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through the City of Austin website. Within a few days I received an email from an IT-Administrative Assistant with an interview slot. I just had to confirm. The interview was a panel of four including the hiring manager, the IT manager and two others. It lasted one hour and consisted of a series of 12 questions that were posted in front of me. It was a mix of behavioral and technical questions. I had practiced these questions so the interview was not too difficult. I received an email about a week later that the position was canceled for the time being but would be reposted later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a team you took a leadership position in a project. Walk us through us it.   Answer Question
    • How do you differentiate the differences in browsers using CSS?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time you had a difference of opinion with your boss? How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Austin Energy (Austin, TX).

Interview

Be prepared for 1-2 rounds of panel interviews with behavior-based questions peppered with technical questions about the position. Be prepared by knowing who the interviewers are, and what the hiring manager is looking for by digging online or calling the AE HR or asking a professional colleague who works at the City.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your professional experience as it relates to the requirements of this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little wiggle room available.

Conservation Specialist Interview

Interview

Phone interview with group panel. It was very comfortable speaking with the interviewers. They went down their list of 4 questions. The first couple of questions dealt with the minimum and preferred qualifications for the job. The end portion of the interview allowed for question on my part, which gained some insight into the group.

Interview Questions

• How do you meet the minimum qualifications listed for the job position?   Answer Question
    • Example of a time you experienced good communication?   Answer Question

Power Production Workgroup Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Austin Energy (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

I interviewed through Skype as the plant was pretty far from where I live. The interview started off with the "Tell me about yourself" question, and it progressed to questions about certain workplace related scenarios and how i reacted/handled the situation. After the interview was over, they allowed me to ask question. After about a week or so I got a call back to get feedback on the questions to help me do better the next time around.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you had a conflict with someone you worked with and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Austin Energy (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

After applying online, there was a single interview with mostly generic behavioral questions mixed with a few technical questions. There was one FERMI questions along with one programming question. The behavioral questions are pretty easy but a few of them are worded a bit weird, but they're looking for an answer that tells some specific information about your traits (strengths/weaknesses)

Interview Questions

• Who is a person who likes you least in the world? What would they say about you?   Answer Question

BSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Austin Energy (Austin, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I had a great, casual interview with the entire team. The questions were good questions regarding my wide base of knowledge, and wide range of experience, competence and ability to bring new ideas, new workflows, innovations that bring modern efficiencies to bear on established, weary, and outdated processes. It was OK.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been in your current field?   1 Answer

Senior Account Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Austin Energy in April 2014.

Interview

Submitted application online about 4 days before listed posting close date. I was contacted via phone the day before closing date to schedule a phone interview. First interview was about an hour of questions with a three person panel including the hiring supervisor. Questions were basic about experience in the field and utility experience. Not much detail was asked about why I personally wanted to join the company or selling the company to me. It also started with me being told no relocation reimbursement was allowed for the position.

I was contacted via email for a second and final interview about 3 days later. They called 15 minutes early knowing I have a job currently and pulling me away from a meeting. This interview was exhaustive with a panel of 5 people asking canned questions. It became clear during this interview that I was simply a placeholder finalist as the person for the position was likely an internal applicant or had some other personal relationship with the decision makers.

Once again I had to inquire about the offer timeline and was told they'd have a decision by next week. It's now been two weeks and I've heard literally nothing from them. I even emailed to admin. Person who set up the interview and she said she'd check with HR and get back to me. It's been a week and a half and I've heard nothing.

Not really a ver professional or respectful process.

Interview Questions

• Describe what your last supervisor would say you need to improve upon   Answer Question

Utility Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Austin Energy.

Interview

Three person panel interview. Basic canned interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a difficult professional situation and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Austin Energy.

Interview

I was approached and asked to interview (via phone) for a position with the company through a 3rd party firm. I interviewed with the 3rd party over the phone and the person I interviewed with said I seemed a fit. The next step was to fill out a questionnaire, which would then go with my resume to the interviewers manager. I filled out the assessment (mostly a repeat of the phone interview) and was told that I would hear back, but never did

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Austin Energy (Austin, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

I submitted the on-line application, received a call 4-5 weeks later. Asked to report to their Barton Springs Rd. building for an interview. Had interview with the hiring manager V. Gonzalez and his contractor PM lead [?]. Questions were fine, but the hiring manager seemed very uptight. Kept looking at his watch, telling me how many minutes we had left (I did not go over at all on questions, so he wasn't trying to shut me up--I took it as him being very controlling). Clearly my questions to him he did not like (see below), and I knew when I left the room I would not be hearing back. But I wouldn't have accepted the offer anyway--at this stage in my career, a compatible boss is VERY important to me.

Interview Questions

• "How do you create a Work Breakdown Structure"   1 Answer