Avaloq Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Avaloq

2.9

Sort:

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avaloq.

Interview

online application, followed by some rounds of interviews. The overall experience was positive and it definitely had a role in my final decision to accept the offer. The interviews were held in part in italia and in part in english. The interviewer was friendly and careful in making me to feel comfortable.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Makati City (Philippines)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Avaloq (Makati City (Philippines)) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview is extensive and very technical. It has a lot of technical questions required for the job. It is divided into 2 types of interview. 1- HR interview, 2-Technical interview.

J2EE Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Avaloq (Zürich (Switzerland)) in March 2016.

Interview

The first stage of the screening process was a phone interview, they asked me some generic questions about my background, my skills, strengths and weaknesses.
    The second stage of the interview process was to complete an online test, the test consisted in several small questions to answer within 60 minutes, questions covered number sequences, pseudocode debugging and logical reasoning in general.
    The third phase of the process was an on site interview, for this stage I had to prepare a presentation of a project I previously worked on. After the presentation I was also asked to implement a small java program.

Interview Questions

• How would you distribute tasks among a small team of software developers ?
      How would split big tasks ?
      How would you implement a filtered Collection using java 7 ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by Eden Scott, a recruitment agency who found my CV online. They wanted to represent me for a role as a Software Engineer at Avaloq Innovation Ltd in Edinburgh. There were 2 interviews; one at Eden Scott, and an assessment day at Avaloq's Edinburgh office.

Initial Interview

The initial interview was with Eden Scott, and consisted of 3 tests, each just under an hour long. I was wary at first, as they didn't sound too professional on the phone, and their office reminded me of something from 'The Real Hustle', particularly because they asked for my Passport up front. However, I got to know my recruiter over the following weeks, and they've offered an exceptional service (despite giving a poor first impression). Don't be put off by them!

The first test was a multiple choice skills test with 'basic' computing questions, and some mathematics ones too. The questions ranged from simple boolean satisfiability problems, to algorithm complexity/efficiency. You have to get 6/10 to progress with the interview, and they expect 8/10 from good candidates.

The next test is a bit harder. You are given some concepts, and asked to write a paragraph on each of the topics. They include passing by value/reference, multi-threading, databases, and OO principles. They also give you a sheet which asks you to rate your competency in each of these fields. Tip: this competency sheet actually gives a short description of each concept, which can help you when filling out the concepts sheet.

The last test is a competency based interview with a non-technical recruitment officer. They ask you to describe 4 things you've done such as "Describe a time when you contributed effectively in a team". It's quite vague, but they help you answer the questions by following the STAR format (which you can Google beforehand). Just remember to talk about things you've done as an individual, and use real life examples of things you've done.

They got back to me within a week. I was successful, and we arranged a date for the assessment day.

Assessment Day

The next stage was a 4-hour assessment day at the Avaloq offices in Edinburgh. If you get to this stage, you will be going through the assessment with 3 other candidates. You get a presentation at the beginning and meet the people assessing you; 6 senior members of staff (as well as the receptionist, who was very welcoming). You will do four 45-min tests, and they revolve the candidates round each test in a round robin fashion. There will be a final presentation at the end. (You will only be with the other candidates during the briefing, break, and debriefing).

One test is a presentation. You will have 15 minutes to prepare a presentation on a project you've worked on, and 30 minutes to 'present' it. It's nothing major, you will just sit at a table and explain a project to 2 of the managers. A good tip is to give an overview of your project first, don't dive right into the technical details. They're looking for clarity, and to see if you can communicate ideas effectively. I don't think they're too interested in the technicalities of the project.

Another test is technical. You will be given 15 minutes to look over 3 coding questions, and 30 minutes to explain your answers to 2 managers. Speak your thoughts out loud. They're interested in how you solve problems, and will guide you if you get stuck. There will be a simple problem like "Write a function that examines an array of integers, and checks they're all even". There will be a more complicated problem solving style question, and a final question which requires you to know about databases and 3-value logic. Remember coding basics like primitive data types and modulo/integer arithmetic, and look over 3-value logic.

One phase is less of a test, and more an HR interview. You will be interviewed by an HR manager and your potential line manager. They will ask what your strengths are, and ask you questions like "How would you cope if you were stressed and someone was annoying you?". They will try to pick weaknesses out, and turn your positives against you. I would advise you to be up front with your weaknesses; don't pretend you have none! Make sure the conversation focuses on your strengths and how you plan on dealing with your weaknesses. They will allow you to ask questions at the end. Ask a couple of HR questions (training, support), but make sure you ask a couple of technical questions. For example, what languages they work with, version control, tools, etc.

The last test will be a design test. You will be given a scenario such as "A system needs to deliver messages between two offices. Messages can be payments or receipts... etc." You will need to propose a software solution, and create class diagrams and sequence diagrams to illustrate your solution. It's quite straight forward, but there's nobody to ask for help or guidance, so you just need to try your best and hope it's what they're looking for.

Interview Questions

• Three children aged 16, 13 and 8 are given an allowance by their father. Their father has £200, made of only £10 bills. The allowance is based on the child's age; the 16 year old should get double the 8 year old. How can the father distribute the £10 notes fairly?   1 Answer

Negotiation

(I ran out of space in the above field!)

Impressions

The offices were immaculate! The equipment was brand new, and the facilities were really impressive. They had a pool table in the communal area for staff (which they really try to sell you on). The people are genuinely very nice. No middle management; we were interviewed by several members of the senior management team. They are enthusiastic, and mostly Swiss, which gives the workplace a very European feel. They contacted me within an hour, and offered me a position (which I accepted).

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I found the job through an agency, the agency put me through a pre-interview test that tested knowledge on Computer Science and Maths. The interview with the company was split into four separate sections, each of which brought me into contact with one or two of the managers that worked at the office.

Interview Questions

• A mathematics question that focused on splitting money between three children equally when only able to give them notes.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq in March 2015.

Interview

They asked me to introduce myself based on the CV: from the educations til the current experiences and the motivation of application.
    They asked what is the role I played in the development team and how we carried out the scrums.
    How do I process a new requirement from customer as a technical lead. Did I participate the development and do the code review work,
    They asked me to give an example about how I took responsibility to choose or manage the architecture of the project and my contribution.

Interview Questions

• What's the differences between the Java Entity beans & session beans,
      How to deploy the Java beans in the container   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq.

Interview

I applied for Java Software Engineer.

Three part exam(multiple choice, essay type and coding) after passing the exam, you will scheduled for a panel interview(technical and regular interview questions).

A week after the exam and interview job offer will be given.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Avaloq (Zürich (Switzerland)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through an external recruitment agency, as I understood that is a standard procedure at Avaloq. The person that I met at the agency was really pleasant and professional, he explained the interview process in detail, as well as the job position and the company in general.

The interview process was organized in three stages. Of these stages, I think the first one is not common practice of Avaloq; I believe it was introduced by the recruitment company in order to provide a first screening of the candidates (that is to say, different recruitment companies might have different procedures at this stage, or skip it completely). The second stage is instead usual for Avaloq and every candidate will go through it. For this step you are invited to an Avaloq office to have a talk with a person from the HR department as well as the potential leader of the team you are applying for. The last stage also happens at an Avaloq office and it consists of a more technical interview. The details of this interview, however, are left to the team leader and he can organize it as he prefers (again, candidates applying for different teams might face a different interview from mine at this stage).

Interview Questions

• For the first stage I was asked to solve an online test consisting of 30 questions in 60 minutes. The test was divided into three parts that I believe were called: numerical thinking, programming, and analytical thinking. Be careful because the time for each question is roughly two minutes, and if you are not fast you might not have time to solve the later questions.   Answer Question
    • In the second stage I went to the Avaloq office and met a person from HR and the potential team leader. They asked me usual HR questions of the sorts of "tell me about yourself" or "what are your strengths?". One question that I believe was important was "What do you understand Avaloq does?" that was asked to test how interested I was in the company and what effort I put in researching it.   Answer Question
    • For the last stage again I went to the Avaloq office for an hour and half interview that was divided in three parts of roughly half an hour each.

In the first part I met a software engineer of the team that I would be working with and we discussed details of some software modules and the general architecture of the product. There were not many direct technical questions, but from time to time the interviewer would ask question like "why do you think it is a good idea for the software to be organized in this way?".

In the second part I met the rest of the team, introduced myself and they introduced themselves to me in a friendly and conversational manner. After the introductions they asked me some questions to get to know me better, for example about my background or my motivation to work at Avaloq.

The last part was a discussion with a manager. As I understood the goal was to get a feeling of my intentions in the company, what kind of commitment I am willing to make to it, and my long(er) term goals.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq (Zürich (Switzerland)) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 2 interviews - a behavioural interview with a HR manager and the team lead of a software engineering division, and a technical interview with a few software engineers. The technical interview was easy as the only question I was asked was to describe a past system I have been working on.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avaloq (Zürich (Switzerland)) in January 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed in Zurich for this position. The process was rather fast. The first interview lasted for 75 mins with the HR and the team leader. As they said an even more technical interview would follow. The technical interviewer was rather unfriendly and seem to have some issues with people that were more educated than himself. He was showing off knowledge he gained over the years which is rather easy to get but he didn't seem to be very smart. It is pity but this person was looking for a robot rather than a person with critical and creative mind. I bet he wouldn't be able to answer one similar question himself. The company is a nice place to work with a lot of opportunities unless you have to deal with a superiority complex syndrome. The HR person was very professional though.

Interview Questions

• Which are the Software design patterns you know?   1 Answer
    • How would you implement bubble sort with a heap?   1 Answer
    • All the typical HR questions have been asked. Why you wanna leave your current job? why you think you are perfect? why you wanna join this company? what you know about this company etc. Also where you see yourself in 3 years? what was a tough moment at work? strengths? weaknesses?   1 Answer