Avaloq Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 9, 2017

2.9

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Firstly I had to pass the online exam, which was 30 mins Maths and Logic and 1 hour Technical questions such as what is the process you follow as a BA during the projects you're involved etc.

HR contacted me after my answers were reviewed by a Senior colleague and they advised I passed the initial test.

I was invited to an interview in their Edinburgh office. The office and people were very nice.
    the first 45 minutes I did my presentation and answered technical questions about BA role and my experience, which I thought went very well. The second 45 minutes was problem solving, it is the questions about siblings aged 14, 7 and 5 and £300. Then the oldest one has a birthday and the ages are 15, 7, 5. this is to check whether the logic I applied works. They ask you to descrieb this as if you're asking a developer to develop it.
    I failed during this session because apparently the interviewer felt I wasn't picking up the hint. The hint was " so is it fair though"

The last part was with the MD, who didn't say a single word during the interview and just listened, which I found a bit odd and unnatural / disturbing.

Interview Questions

• ATM in the UK that offers EUR option, what do you need to consider.
      Aother one was the ages and £300, you can see the details in other reviews, no need to repeat.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Advertised through external recruiter. Had a one hour conversation over the phone around my skills and experience and why it matched the role. Had a two hour interview with Avaloq (another BA and software lead) which again went over my skills and experience. There was also a 30 minute pop quiz on superannuation. A positive experience overall and very casual . I was called for a second 2 hour interview with the product manager and software lead. Very negative experience as the questions were all focused on delivery manager and iteration manager duties and not so much BA responsibilities. I felt they did not internally themselves know what they were looking for

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Avaloq.

Interview

Online interview with 15 questions
    On-site programming interview with 2 medium-difficulty Java algorithms
    Same day Technical interview - Unix + Oracle development - all went well ok up to this point
    Same day Consultancy interview - they wanted to test your resilience to stress and made sure to ask same questions two or three time to see how you react. They emphasized the questions and concepts that you were unsure off. At some point they made a point that I am not getting the hints, but mumbling a couple of related words cannot be considered a hint in my opinion. The atmosphere during this part of interview was deliberately conflictual.

The overall atmoshpere in their office was cold and there was lack of friendship from beginning to end. The impression I was left with was that they were not even aware of me coming, as one of the interviewers asked me at some point if I am from Denmark.
    At the end, they did not even have the minimum respect to send a formal message whether I was successful or not.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Two technical interviews.
    First one was simple database and logic questions. And general questions about experience. It took about 1 hour.

Second one was technical too. It took 2 hours. Basically he showed Avaloq system and explained about it. Asked a few questions in between. This was dragged for 2 hours.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

An online coding test, followed by a three-stage on-site assessment, including an HR interview, a presentation, and a technical interview. The only thing worth mentioning is the technical interview. The questions will be easy, so don't trip yourself up by implementing complicated solutions, because you don't need to. I made this mistake, and I soon found myself getting asked about things I wasn't 100% comfortable with. One of the interviewers was very unprofessional and kept making snide remarks when I got something wrong. The mistake I made was getting annoyed by his remarks. I guess they could see I was annoyed and moved on. But the reason I did not get an offer was because I was getting annoyed by the interviewer being rude. That made me feel quite uneasy about working there in the future anyway.

Please respect people putting their time and effort into applying for a role, and handle your interviews professionally.

Interview Questions

• Design a 3-table database system, sum up an array, write a function to compute a cube root, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq.

Interview

I applied for Java Software Engineer.

Three part exam(multiple choice, essay type and coding) after passing the exam, you will scheduled for a panel interview(technical and regular interview questions).

A week after the exam and interview job offer will be given.

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview with recruiter and competency test. Followed several weeks later by an interview with several pairs of interviewers. During this process the tone was professional and positive. I was informed I had scored the highest (by a significant margin) on the test. I was told to expect a decision in a few days.

Instead I was summoned back to a second interview with the managing director who hadn't bothered to attend the first scheduled interview. He made a point of arriving late and then behaving in a way that can most charitably be described as childish and confrontational. He slumped in a chair and repeatedly interrupted my answers to any questions or comments. He was utterly unprofessional and inexplicably aggressive. Asking few questions but preferring to play mind games he came across as a really awful human being. In retrospect I should have followed the impulse and called an end to the proceedings immediately.

Everyone I met at Avaloq other than him was lovely. Unfortunately such toxic leadership cannot produce a collaborative or enriching professional experience. I would recommend to anyone considering a role at Avaloq to steer well clear.

Interview Questions

• If you're any good why were you made redundant?

You say you feel a strong impulse to help people so I guess that means I should just make you work with unhappy, frustrated people all the time. (No question, just a comment on his management approach).

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaloq (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

After you submit your CV you might be invited to do an online test. It's not patronising like a lot of them. Following that you might be invited for an interview at the office. The whole process lasts a couple of hours as you will see different people from different areas in the company. You might be to complete some tasks. You'll get a break half way through and get the chance to have a coffee and informal chat with you interviewers in the Oasis.

Graduate Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Avaloq.

Interview

Three part online test including a multi choice questions section. The multiple choice questions cover simple maths, coding and general computing knowledge and vary in difficulty, some being very straightforward while others didn't seem to have a correct answer. You can only afford to get four wrong and there is no way to see which you had answered correctly.

Interview Questions

• Given an SQL query and two example tables, what is the correct output.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Zürich (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Avaloq (Zürich (Switzerland)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through an external recruitment agency, as I understood that is a standard procedure at Avaloq. The person that I met at the agency was really pleasant and professional, he explained the interview process in detail, as well as the job position and the company in general.

The interview process was organized in three stages. Of these stages, I think the first one is not common practice of Avaloq; I believe it was introduced by the recruitment company in order to provide a first screening of the candidates (that is to say, different recruitment companies might have different procedures at this stage, or skip it completely). The second stage is instead usual for Avaloq and every candidate will go through it. For this step you are invited to an Avaloq office to have a talk with a person from the HR department as well as the potential leader of the team you are applying for. The last stage also happens at an Avaloq office and it consists of a more technical interview. The details of this interview, however, are left to the team leader and he can organize it as he prefers (again, candidates applying for different teams might face a different interview from mine at this stage).

Interview Questions

• For the first stage I was asked to solve an online test consisting of 30 questions in 60 minutes. The test was divided into three parts that I believe were called: numerical thinking, programming, and analytical thinking. Be careful because the time for each question is roughly two minutes, and if you are not fast you might not have time to solve the later questions.   Answer Question
    • In the second stage I went to the Avaloq office and met a person from HR and the potential team leader. They asked me usual HR questions of the sorts of "tell me about yourself" or "what are your strengths?". One question that I believe was important was "What do you understand Avaloq does?" that was asked to test how interested I was in the company and what effort I put in researching it.   Answer Question
    • For the last stage again I went to the Avaloq office for an hour and half interview that was divided in three parts of roughly half an hour each.

In the first part I met a software engineer of the team that I would be working with and we discussed details of some software modules and the general architecture of the product. There were not many direct technical questions, but from time to time the interviewer would ask question like "why do you think it is a good idea for the software to be organized in this way?".

In the second part I met the rest of the team, introduced myself and they introduced themselves to me in a friendly and conversational manner. After the introductions they asked me some questions to get to know me better, for example about my background or my motivation to work at Avaloq.

The last part was a discussion with a manager. As I understood the goal was to get a feeling of my intentions in the company, what kind of commitment I am willing to make to it, and my long(er) term goals.