Avant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Avant

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avant in December 2017.

Interview

Amazing experience. I'm a scientist from academia trying to transition into a data science role in industry. The data scientist interviewing me gave extremely good feedback. I received a follow up email with tips for improvement and books to read. Interviewer asked straightforward questions related to the job.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avant.

Interview

It is first a takehome coding challenge and the question is sent directly in the email. After completion, I sent back a zip file. About two weeks later, I received an email saying I can go onsite or interview on Google Hangouts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Avant (Chicago, IL) in April 2019.

Interview

Had a typical initial chat about the company and myself. Was asked to do a technical screen and coding challenge the next day. The call started with a single interviewer and the same exchange of this is what we do and tell me about yourself. Then proceeded to coderpad with fairly simple problem . I was notified 2 business days later they would not move forward at this time.

Interview Questions

• Create a hash from an array.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Avant (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Was contacted recruiter and asked to consider the position. Had a phone interview, followed by an in person interview. I was sent a programming assignment in Ruby, which I had completed.

Interview Questions

• I was interviewed by a bunch of kids fresh out of college. At times it seemed like they didn't know what questions to ask or understand what technologies I had previously worked with. Interview focused on disorganized programming/architecture questions, where what they asked for kept changing what they wanted. Interviewers were very disorganized and unprepared.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Avant (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Had an initial call going over my experience and background on the company, after which an appointment was set up for a technical coding challenge for the next day. The coding challenge was online and live with one of their engineering managers. The task I was asked to perform was fairly simple and involved looping through and transforming a collection.

I completed it, but was nervous and blanked on a few things which made me take longer than I should have. The next day, I heard from an HR rep that they wouldn't be moving forward.

It sounded like a neat place to work, it's just disappointing to learn that they place such a high value in a practice that is pretty widely accepted to be a poor way to gauge technical ability.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of objects , transform that array into a hash arranged in a particular manner.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Terrible experience. First of all they butchered my name spelling multiple times. Then they blew off the google hangouts interview THEY set up.

Huge waste of time. Do not bother with this company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Avant.

Interview

External recruiter cold called me to set up an interview time. After playing phone tag back forth we finally connected and set up a time. Then they didn't call during the time scheduled. Reading the interviews experiences here it seems like they're trying to assess the market..

Wasn't allowed to answer any questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Avant (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

About 4 hours long. Three engineers did a technical interview with me back to back. All were white boarding questions- algorithms. Two of them asked me the same question. I wasn't sure if it was a "character" test or if they sincerely didn't plan this out ahead of time. Turns out they didn't plan it out ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• I can't remember the algorithm question, but they did ask a conceptual question: "Walk me through building an elevator".   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Avant in May 2017.

Interview

I was reached out to by an engineering manager and scheduled a phone call. This call was the typical pre-screening call for questions like: tell me about yourself, what your development experience has been, languages you know etc. I was told that I would hear back with time/date for a technical interview.

The date for the technical interview came and I waited, and waited. The interviewer did not bother letting me know they were running late or that they couldn't make it at all. Around twenty minutes of waiting I emailed my contact and they got back to me 50 minutes after the interview was supposed to begin.

I was told the interviewer had to run out and had to reschedule. This told me two things: 1) they did not care abut me and 2) they did not care about my time. I should have seen this as a clear sign that they were not interested but instead let my contact know that rescheduling would be fine.

The rescheduled interview finally came. I was able to answer both their questions, the interviewer and I had a good back and forth of questions and answers. I was able to answer their questions, one of which the interviewer let me know was okay if I didn't get to finish answering (I did). I thought the interview went great. I was wrong, as about 3 hours later I was told they did not want to continue, with absolutely zero feedback.

Interview Questions

• Create some class such that you can call the following: two().plus().two().equals()   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Avant.

Interview

It was really good. First a phone call to talk about my background and technical skills. Then I was sent a coding exercise that I had a week to complete. It wasn't too difficult. I could complete one in my own language and the other in Ruby. Then I came in for an on-site with 5 people in a row. Some of it was behavioral and some of it was technical (very easy stuff though).

Interview Questions

• Given a object that represents a car, sort the objects into a list according to the cars color.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avant in May 2018.

Interview

The only thing that happened to me was the phone screen with a VP. There was no talking about the company or the position at all. Pretty much the first thing I was told was "Here's a coderpad link, go do an exercise" It was incredibly awkward. Next day I got the rejection notice(and was very happy to get it too)

Interview Questions

• Coding exercise that revolved around generating specific data structures and then analyzing them   Answer Question