Found 373 of over 416 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about Avant
Got a burning question about Avant? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Avant employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The last 2 years have been chocked full of ups and downs,mainly because of poor management." (in 20 reviews)
- "3 out of 4 managers I had were great." (in 15 reviews)
- "Low pay (…but this is relative to other fintechs/banks/lenders." (in 15 reviews)
- "Upper management does not care about the ooerations employees just answer the phones!" (in 12 reviews)
- "Frequent layoffs that leave you in a constant state of fear for your job." (in 9 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Avant and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0FEATURED REVIEWAug 18, 2023AnalystCurrent Employee, less than 1 yearChicago, IL
Lots of great benefits: daily food credits, lots of PTO, OT opportunities, career growth, good coworkers, great office.
Lacks job security, not always great communications from upper management, lots of economic uncertainty in the industry as a whole.1
- 3.0Jul 29, 2023Refuse to AnswerFormer Employee, more than 3 years
Direct team was wonderful and always there for you. Good at giving feedback when doing well on a project and allowing you to stretch your skills.
Frequent layoffs that leave you in a constant state of fear for your job. Lack of transparency and communication from upper management. Constant changes that makes it difficult to know what to prioritize.8
- 3.0Nov 11, 2023Data AnalystFormer Employee, more than 1 yearChicago, IL
Great work environment. Hybrid work mode.
Impacted by layoffs without proper reasons when they had no projects.
- 2.0Nov 1, 2023Anonymous EmployeeFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsChicago, IL
Nice people, unlimited PTO, good office amenities
Poor communication, little to no direction provided on initiatives
- 4.0Aug 22, 2023AnalystCurrent EmployeeChicago, IL
Great team members - smart, driven and good work ethics
Bad leadership decisions - frequent strategic direction changes due to not having good market outlook, not managing non-revenue generating teams well2
- 2.0Aug 11, 2023Senior AnalystFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsChicago, IL
- Unlimited PTO for salaried employees - Colleagues, Avant has always had a knack for finding talent that are intelligent, resourceful, and are genuinely good people - Stocked kitchen with, fresh bagels, cold brew, and beer on tap in Merch Mart - Lax direct management - Summer Fridays
- Salary is not competitive, the majority of my team was paid dozens of thousands less than the average salary for Chicago, asking for a salary increase will often be met with weeks of pushback, back and forth, or flat out denial. Salary bumps during mid years are virtually unheard of and managers are given a limited pool to distribute between your team during end years, which results in very few promotion opportunities and lackluster salary increases if you are not the lucky person to receive the promotion. End of 2022's cost of living adjustment was between 3-4%, nowhere near the actual cost of living change in the US. I have heard of one instance of an equity adjustment at Avant and that was back in 2017 - Less holidays than a typical finance company, there is no reason Avant should not follow bank holidays. Juneteenth is acknowledged but is not a corporate holiday - Forced hybrid. Chicago based Avantees were told they must return to office 3 days a week at the beginning of 2023, and 4 days if you want a permanent desk. While collaboration is the reason leadership provides for this mandate, most teams are filled with remote employees, which results in Chicago based employees commuting to the office just try to find an available room every couple of hours to take their regular team meetings - Lack of career growth, since promotions are limited, employees often get stuck in roles and get silo'd to a limited set of responsibilities. Though Avant boasts a culture of internal growth, recent years have proven that the way to receive a semi competitive salary on a different team is to apply externally or through referral. Employees that have been with Avant for years have been shunted to roles below their experience and worth in favor of new external hires, or hiring back ex Avantees from the "old days" - Workload, theres never been a time that Avantees have not had a massive workload (excusable in the right circumstances), recent years have seen that workload double, if not triple. With two rounds of layoffs within a calendar year, and Avant's overly ambitious goals to move to from startup culture to enterprise, the past two years have been a constant balancing act of trying to satisfy dozens of team and business requests weekly, changing directions at the drop of a hat, and being pushed by leadership to complete projects more efficiently, but dont forget we need to constantly cut costs for services if they can be handled internally! Sprints turn into marathons with no end in sight, there is never a "good" time for a vacation and the lack of cross training leads to many feeling obliged to work during their vacation time (on top of constant off hours work in order to keep up with the workload) - Leadership and transparency, Avant presents this image of transparency and valuing employee feedback, quarterly anon employee satisfaction surveys and monthly town halls seem great, but the value is lost when our feedback is either ignored or we are given non answers. When Avantees voiced concerns of the financial trajectory of the company and the likelihood of another round of layoffs, we were kept largely in the dark about the company's obvious negative financial trajectory and given false confidences that a RIF was "not being considered at this time". Looing past the unfortunately extremely prevalent topic of layoffs in our current economy, employees and team managers alike have been consistently unheard and undervalued. When employee satisfaction rates rapidly started to decline, we were asked what our managers could do to improve satisfaction, when the truth of the matter is that the managers are often stuck between trying to treat their team well and expressing their ideas or concerns to deaf leadership, leading to internal tension between the team itself and nowhere to release that. Time and time again Avantees have expressed their concerns with leaderships choices, the direction of the company itself, and what should be prioritized, and time and time again, leadership has not taken responsibility for their own bad decision making and decided to try to place blame on those below them. Good people work here, but beign a good person doesnt inherently make you a good leader.10Avant Response4mo
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. The experience you describe is certainly not one that we want any Avantees to have, especially not at the end of a 5+-year tenure like yours. It sounds like you are pretty clear that Avant was no longer the right match for your career needs at this point. We are sorry to hear that but glad that you were able to move on to something new. We thank you for your time with Avant and wish you success in your next step and beyond.
- 1.0Sep 11, 2023AnalystFormer Employee
If I were writing this last year then I would have pros to add. Currently this place is only good as a short term stepping stone to another company.
I'll preface this with most Avant employees are good people and fun to work with. This list stems from my experience in Avant's IT department, I cannot speak for other areas of the company. If you're looking at Avant in the IT field, be it helpdesk, engineering, or administration, walk away and apply just about anywhere else. Give them 1-2 years to straighten it out and apply then if you really want to work here. If you're looking to be an IT manager here, you've likely got a nice challenge ahead of you. - Lack of growth and transparency, even though they claim to promote it. - IT Manager left and nothing but awful decision making followed. Management and productivity were moving along fine before that but now it is beyond saving for a multitude of reasons that I could write a novel about. However, Avant does not care about this review so I won't waste my time or yours with a wall of text. (Sorry HR/PR I know you're just doing your job with the comments here) - That brings me to my next note! Wonderful HR representatives that listen, ask the right questions, and take detailed feedback, but that only goes so far when the people they hand those reports to ignore it. If you just ignore crucial concerns, you're wasting the time of both HR and whichever employee raised the concerns. This review won't change anything at Avant, but hopefully it tells you what you're getting into if you're thinking about applying. - Underpaid roles, workload is high and pay is not competitive. End of year increases are anemic. The company recognized less holidays than it should. - Benefits are okay if you're in IL, if you're remote then they are pathetic (yes that was brought to their attention, no change) - C suite leaves more to be desired in transparency, experience, and leadership skills. I could keep going but if you want more there is another hefty review already on here that is perfectly accurate with far more details about a month back. Please read that.8Avant Response2mo
Thank you for this feedback. Even when it’s not what we want to hear, we really value hearing it. If there’s anything more you want to share about your experience or continue discussing, please feel free to get in touch with the People Team (firstname.lastname@example.org). If any current Avantees are reading this review and feel similarly, we encourage you to come talk to the People Team so we can see how we can address your pain points now, and hopefully improve your experience. Please let us know what support you need (you could also use our confidential monthly pulse survey or our anonymous hotline to share your thoughts). We appreciate you. We want to offer some more information, which we believe is useful, on a few specific elements of this review. First, Avant has practices in place to provide fair market compensation. This includes regular benchmarking and adjusting compensation against our industry, similarly sized companies, and internally across teams and departments. We offer a consistent, comprehensive benefit package to all full-time employees across the country, which does not vary based on whether they are remote or hybrid. The only differentiation is in-office perks that hybrid employees have access to and a remote worker subsidy that our remote employees receive. While we cannot act on every employee suggestion we receive, we value that feedback highly and read every single comment Avantees submit via monthly confidential survey, monthly Town Hall Q&A, People Team emails, etc. We are always aiming for continuous improvement, and openness to constructive criticism is a big part of how we get better. Reviewer, we thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and we wish you well in your future endeavors.
- 2.0Apr 23, 2023Workforce Management SupervisorFormer Employee, more than 1 year
Coworkers are friendly and understand the mindsight the company operates in. Unlimited PTO for salaried employees. Snacks in the chicago office.
I can't say this enough. Avoid working for this disaster of a company. All levels of management are unprofessional and see very little value in their employee base. The culture was absolutely terrible. Unorganized, chaotic days non stop. Benefits are subpar at best. There is absolutely no work life balance. I enjoyed my coworkers and working with certain leaders but for the most part, the other leaders had zero call center operations experience. There is no defined KB (Knowledge Base) for employees to reference regarding operations, products or business plans. Communication is nonexistent from the top down. I was left daily scrambling to "get sh!t done" as the company likes to reference in their mission statement. This job and the stress from having to do my job and essentially run the call center as its management was unable to, greatly brought down my mental health.4Avant Response7mo
We appreciate you taking the time to leave this review and share your concerns. This is not reflective of the experience we want our employees to have, and we take feedback like this very seriously, as supporting Avantees is our highest priority. If you are willing to discuss your feedback with the People Team, please get in touch with us at email@example.com. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Avant Reviews FAQs
Avant has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 416 reviews left anonymously by employees. 61% of employees would recommend working at Avant to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.
61% of Avant employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Avant 3.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.2 for career opportunities.