BYD Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at BYD

2.3

Sort:

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BYD.

Interview

Two people one manager one hr asking questions in turns. Very friendly people and fairly easy questions. They do ask you your expecting salary and your experience in your field. Overall it was fairly quick and painless.

Interview Questions

Interview

Painless process, single interview, to the point. Interview with HR and engineers. Be ready to talk about experiences and items on resume in detail. Expect technical questions pertinent to your field. Communication is an important factor. Good benefits and salary and right in the heart of the city. Know the companies products and know why you want to work for them.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BYD.

Interview

There was even no interview for engineer position. Someone only talked with you for several minutes and try to make sure you can work then you will be the candidate for this position.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BYD (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

In person interview with VP and Chief Engineer. I simply described my relevant projects. Not very a technical interview. Only one technical question was asked of me. The in person interview was only about 30 minutes long. Knowing chinese is VERY necessary in getting this job. Being able to speak, read and write english and chinese is probably the best skill you can have in this company.

Interview Questions

• Describe some of your projects   1 Answer

Negotiation

After a follow up email, they immediately made an offer within the same day.

Project Management Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BYD.

Interview

3 Interviews in total. The first two were normal, one with the HR, one with the manager. Third interview with the director through skype. The reception was bad, delayed, cutoff several times in middle. Since it's a Chinese company, you should expect their English may not be very good for some of their employees assigned from China to US branch . The director asked me if I graduated from "arts"? I totally did not know where did that come from. So I responded to him no. Then he asked me why there is "Bachelor of arts" on my resume? Aren't you graduated from arts major? I then explained to him what that means. Then spent some time to explain my resume and what some words stand for. Feel like a cross culture education class. It was overall an unique and interesting interview experience.

Interview Questions

• No technical requirement, but required lots of negotiation, risk mitigation, communication, etc.. All soft and people skills.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BYD (Lancaster, CA).

Interview

Was led into a conference room and interviewed by five people. One of the interviewers was working on a laptop the entire time and did not participate at all during the interview process. English was not the primary language for a majority of the interviewers and resulted in questions only being asked by two people. Interview was fairly simple and only a few technical questions were brought up.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the pros and cons of using aluminum versus steel?   Answer Question

Procurement Analyst Interview

Interview

I don't live in Lancaster, I only got phone call interview. The interviewer asked more about my past experience, it is a nice phone call interview experience. I obtained this valuable interview experience.

Electrical Installer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at BYD (Lancaster, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Straight and to the point because the person who interviewed me was kind of pressed for time and did want to give me any false hope and I didn't want him to so I really appreciated him being so candid

Procurement & Logistics Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BYD (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

It was a phone interview. The hiring manager basically ask me to go through everything on my resume, from education to working experience. And she randomly picked a few questions and asked me to answer. The interview ended up with she answering my questions. Very typical phone screen. Nothing special. But I never heard back. I guess it's because I was not qualified for the working experience part.

Open Engineering Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BYD (Lancaster, CA).

Interview

Had an initial phone interview with the team in Lancaster, CA. HR told me, I will be talking to 2 electrical engineers. I ended up interviewing with 4 mechanical engineers, a bit tricky because their first language was not English. They invited me for a face to face interview in Lancaster the next week. Initially HR told me that I have to pay for my own traveling expenses. I politely refused then HR agreed to pay for the flight, hotel and car rental, which is pretty much standard for all big companies. I was supposed to be interviewed by 2 engineers. The on site interview started at 9AM finished at 6PM, with break for lunch and waiting for interviewers, I ate outside alone because they told me to do so. I initially had a Catia V5 test on a laptop, I had to ask it to be switched to English, it was initially Mandarin or Cantonese. Then I got interviewed by 4 engineers. It was mainly 2 guys talking because they were the most fluent of the 4. They asked me a lot of technical questions, all of them were easy for me because I am working for one of their competitor. They even gave me a 3 pages with 14 questions translated from Mandarin or Cantonese to English. It its when I realized something is not normal here, it is not a typical interview, they were trying to get as much information as possible from the product I was currently working on. I still behaved professionally. In the end, one of the engineer asked me what kind of position I can see myself doing, it was an open position interview. Then he organized a phone interview with one of their bid manager at their LA office. The manager was very keen talking to me because he needed somebody with a strong engineering background. To finish I met the VP of sales. He understood my background and he said something like “With your background, it is clear that you have more technical knowledge than the 4 engineers that interviewed you this morning…they are hard working and good engineers but sometimes when I talked to them even if they don’t fully understand they behave like they do, it is a language barrier…the biggest issue I have now is the design is done in China but when we try to assemble parts ,like the dashboard, to the structure it doesn’t work, it doesn’t fit….” So he proposed an Industrialization/Manufacturing Manager position so I can lead a team and re design some parts to make them work. The interview switch to a point where he was selling me the position, he even asked “how much does it take for you to take the position”. He even joked a bit, the interview switch to a point where it was an exchange between 2 professionals. We concluded by agreeing that he will work with his team and send me a salary package very soon, he even said “I will start working on it during the weekend”. He walked me out and we shook hands. Back home I sent a thank you email to all interviewers and at the same time I wrote a quick summary of why I believe am the best candidate for the position proposed by the VP of sales.
    Few days later I received a generic email from HR saying something like “As you know, we interviewed a number of candidates for the Mechanical Engineer position, and they have decided to offer the position to another candidate…” I was a bit shocked because I did not even interview for this position. It was clear that HR and the team that interviewed me did not communicate with each other. I emailed the VP of sales, no reply. I figured out he was busy, few days later I called him, voicemail. I couldn’t leave a message because his inbox was full, so I texted him. He texted me back saying “Ignore the email from HR, we will talk tomorrow”. I felt better but I never received that phone call. Few days later I follow up with him, no reply. I have decided to move on. I don’t know exactly what happened but I have the feeling that I have been played, the Chinese engineers just wanted to get as much information as possible from me.
    I think it is a company that has great potential but they have to be careful the way they do business in NA.

Interview Questions

• I got interviewed by 4 engineers. It was mainly 2 guys talking because they were the most fluent of the 4. They asked me a lot of technical questions, all of them were easy for me because I am working for one of their competitor. They even gave me a 3 pages with 14 questions translated from Mandarin or Cantonese to English.   Answer Question