Backstop Solutions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 4, 2017

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was called by a recruiter who told me about the open Software Developer position. Very informative person and easy to talk to, he followed up with an email with more information on the job. I agreed to do the technical phone screen. Phone screen was done by two Software Developers who asked a serious of questions including, implementing Fibonacci, a Software Design exercise, and file parsing. A week later I was taken in the office for several interviews done in pairs. The first part was programming a bowling game, then a design problem using the Monopoly board game, and finally a database design question. The developers interviewing in the design parts asked challenging questions, but I was also given the chance to ask my own questions. There was also a pair that interviewed me on my resume. The entire process was 5 hours in the afternoon with a few brakes in between including going down stairs for ice cream.

Interview Questions

• Implement the Fibonacci equation in the language of your choice   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roselle, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Roselle, IL).

Interview

When speaking with Andy Santos he was a great help. He took the time to talk about the company and my current background. He was very professional when he said he will follow up on the next process. Keep up the great work!

Interview Questions

• Was asked to briefly explain how to test a situation with little information given   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL).

Interview

First had phone interview where they asked about some java algorithm and design questions. After that they called me onsite where i was asked to implement bowling game where you would have to use one class and implement junit to test the code. for each frame you would have to create new instance and keep track of score from previous frame.

Interview Questions

• In phone interview they asked about how to implement fibonacci algorithm, difference between equals and ==. Also asked me how to design hotel reservation. onsite they ask me to implement bowling game. The weird part the onsite bowling game implementation is kinda peer to peer so, first 2 people will come and you explain what are you doing and the second group of people will come and write the code and you would have to tell them the implementation. During this you dont have much time to think as they constantly talking with you.   Answer Question

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Very engaging phone interview process, HR recruiter was nice, seems there is disconnect between the job you are applying for and the job they want you to take. The interview process was very easy if you have a personality.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain what I currently do as far as UI design
      Was asked to make a resume for Visual Designer however, that was after I had interviewed for UI Design - their website has the job descriptions almost identical but I think they are actually looking for a graphic designer who can handle the Visual mobile app design and UI as well
      1 Answer

Backstop Solutions Response

Jan 25, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback about our interviewing process. We are actively hiring, and pride ourselves in delivering a positive candidate experience no matter what the hire decision is either way. Our ... More

Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I interviewed at Backstop Solutions in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online. A few days later someone from HR called me and set up a phone screen. That went well and I was scheduled for a phone interview with the manager. She asked about my previous experience and how it applies to the role. She said she was impressed with my background and my responses. HR then followed up to set up an in person interview. I met with 4 different people for 30 minutes each, mostly standard interview questions. Lastly, I met with the manager. It was a complete 180 from our phone interview. She said my background and experience wasn't really what she was looking for and that she was very busy and did not have time to train anyone. She seemed very averse to me right from the get go and I spent the remainder of the interview trying to defend myself and why I thought I was qualified for the role. I knew during the interview that I was not getting this job. It was very disappointing because I took off from work to come in and I believe she knew all along she would not be hiring me. I would have appreciated more respect for my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

Found the job through a career fair. Talked to a HR over the phone for a casual check on the status of the candidate. Next there was a coding challenge which was very easy but the question was very poorly framed and the input explained in the question was completely different from the actual input which was being fed to the function that you write. This was the only issue with the coding challenge. One Heads up to everyone giving this round just submit the code as soon as you start the interview so that it will tell you what is the expected output from which you can identify what the input is otherwise the question is really misleading and you will endup coding for a different logic altogether. The company should be more careful with such things else they can miss out on good candidates.

Ruby Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

Phone interview. Two people on the call. Briefly introduced themselves and got straight to the technical questions. Spent 30 minutes on the call going through the three principles one by one, then being asked situational questions relating to those principles.

Interview Questions

• What are the three principles of Object Oriented Programming?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions.

Interview

Frustrating interview process. The recruiter is really annoying. Called me at 9pm at night to schedule the interview well knowing I will probably be sleep. Recruiter kept on taking on how awesome it is to work there and got me excited about the place. I could only throw one or two few words during our conversation but I felt I should still check out the place if recruiter places them on a pedestal. Had the interview and the interviewers were really condescending. Interview question was to implement an algorithm to print if a number is divisible by 3 without using division or modulo. The interviewer had me to literally say each line of code. After saying every single line, he wouldn't get a couple lines and then tell me i forgot to reinitialize or something like. I had to explain it several times. He kept on talking and i couldn't even hear what he was saying. The other questions were simple OOP questions.

Interview Questions

• implement an algorithm to print if a number is divisible by 3 without using division or modulo   2 Answers

Software Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Aside from applying, this position requires a 90-minute skills assessment test, a phone interview (wherein you must demonstrate your client support skills, in addition to the typical questions regarding your resume), and a 3-stage interview: 1-on-1 (then if you pass that) a 2-person interview, (then if you pass that), a final interview with the VP.

I made it all the way to the 2-person interview, which went well. However, they then explained that, while the interviews are all conducted in one day, HR had made an error, and the VP was in a meetings all day. So HR would contact me to set up the final interview with the VP. Instead, I was sent a rejection two days later. The first in-person interview conducted by the same person who conducted my phone interview. Over the phone, he told me that I was exactly what they were looking for. Then in the interview, he had a total flip. He was rather unpleasant. Still, he passed me on to the 2nd stage, which went great. So, I speculate that if I had gotten an opportunity to speak with the VP, I'd have gotten the job. Thanks HR!

Interview Questions

• What is it about alternative investment management that interests you?   Answer Question

Product Owner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Backstop Solutions.

Interview

No Thrills - spent half a day meeting people from different departments. Each had their own list of questions. Can't say the questions were extremely hard, but some of them are tricky as you don't know what the interviewer expects to hear.