Backstop Solutions Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

"Quality Engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Backstop Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* "Unlimited Vacation" - You don't need to worry to accrue vacation like in many companies that bean count your accrued vacation.

* Weekly company meetings that alternate between a breakfast theme (Bagels, etc.) and Beer.

* Engineering culture that encourages collaboration and test driven development (TDD). Pairing to solve problems is encouraged.

* Very thorough interview process that ensures the quality of engineers is high, which ensures that you are working with great people.

Cons

Documenting legacy software is something that can be improved on ...

"A great company to learn about the Alternative Investment Industry"

Former Employee - Director Or Institutional Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director Or Institutional Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Backstop Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work life balance (unlimited PTO)
    -Professional sales training
    -Detail oriented and thoughtful management
    -Great culture of smart people that understand the industry
    -Driven employees but a relaxed environment
    -Exposure to a vast portfolio of successful clients (GPs, LPs and Fund Admins)

Cons

-Turnover of staff
    -Salaries are below industry standards

Advice to Management

Focus on innovation

Mar 22, 2017 – SVP, Field Operations

Thanks for your feedback. The smart and driven people of Backstop are definitely part of the reasons why it’s a great place to work and learn. It’s encouraging to hear you’re finding benefit from the ... More

"Great people in a growing company undergoing changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Backstop Solutions full-time

Pros

The best part about working at Backstop are the smart and caring people. Everyone is genuinely nice and are more than happy to help when they can. The company also provides resources for continuous learning and pays for conference trips as long as it's aligned to your professional goals. The company also holds fun outings like Whirlyball, paintball, and picnic. The unlimited vacation policy is pretty good.

Cons

As the company grew the past few years, there have been changes in management and some of the people who were with the company for many years left. It took time to get used to the changes, but the company is moving forward and listening more to employee feedback. There are also other things that could be improved like more sick days and getting paid biweekly instead of once a month.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employee feedback. Hire more people, especially for understaffed departments.

Mar 20, 2017 – People and Development

Great tagline, and an appropriate description of where we are on our journey. We appreciate your acknowledgement that we listen to feedback, and are psyched that you recognize how smart and caring ... More

"Great Place To Work!"

I have been working at Backstop Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Cohesive management team with zero politics.
    * Recent management changes have brought new life and excitement into the company.
    * The company values entrepreneurial experience and the attitude that our past failures move us closer to future success.
    * Freedom and latitude to call the shots. We are held accountable for the results, but we get to determine the game plan to get there.
    * Comprehensive benefits plan - the best I've ever seen for a company this size (401K match, medical, dental, commuter benefits, unlimited PTO, etc.).
    * Fun, collaborative, NON-TOXIC environment that has me waking up energetic and excited to go to work each day.

Cons

* A fully stocked kitchen brimming with snacks means gaining 15 pounds in the first month is inevitable.

Jan 25, 2017 – People and Development

Wow! Thank you for all of the positive feedback, it’s always wonderful to hear when our newer employees take such a shine to our company and culture. We appreciate the time you took to share your ... More

"Work hard - Get chances"

Current Employee - Client Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Backstop Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chance to take outside classes for new skills
    beer and games
    work with really nice and smart people

Cons

software is difficult to learn and takes time
    culture is changing which is sad
    Lots of smart people have left after a few years

Advice to Management

Let us decide how to get the job done - give us clear directions and prepare to be dazzled. Micro managing and interference slows us all down and creates frustration

Jan 27, 2017 – VP, Client Services

Thank you for your feedback. We do tend to be a work hard and play hard culture, and you captured that well. Backstop also prioritizes career development and growth, so we’re happy to see that is ... More

"Growing pains make it a difficult environment"

Pros

The people at Backstop are some of the best humans you will ever work with. Bright, driven, and friendly. They are the heart of the company. The software is good for the field, and if you have a passion for finance, you're in the right spot.

Cons

Upper management has done an incredibly poor job addressing the very real morale issues, and reductions in staff have made it a tough place to work. Staff is treated as a budget number, which completely counteracts the great group they've assembled. They are losing people every week, and are not taking staff feedback seriously enough to stem the blood loss.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. They work so hard for you, so treat them as more than a budget number. Until you do that, they will continue to leave in droves.

Jan 25, 2017 – CTO

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feedback. We appreciate that you recognize the great Backstoppers that you work with and how great the software is for the alternative investment industry. We ... More

"Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Backstop Solutions full-time

Pros

A lot of smart people working here

Cons

Company pays lip service to employee development and career paths are defined on paper but completely ignored by managers.

A lot of institutional knowledge walks out the door on a weekly basis, but the company ignores that and calls it "regular employee churn".

The Professional Services group management acts like its running a proper consultancy with an obsession on utilization goals, rather than being a customer success engine for the company. This is completely disconnected with the overall goals of the company and is causing a lot of strife with other departments. Turnover in this group alone is huge.

Advice to Management

Provide ongoing leadership development training to new managers, both formal and informal - this is essential because for the most part, most employees don't trust their direct managers here.

Feb 8, 2017 – VP, Professional Services

Thank you for the feedback. We agree that intelligent people are our most valuable asset. Yes, it’s true we have a lot of first time managers of people, and professional services has been a ... More

"Technology company for people who don't like technology"

Current Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Backstop Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The actual workers that are still around are kind, caring, and intelligent people.

-The company would occasionally spring for fun outings

-"Unlimited" time off.

Cons

-Blurry low definition computers, blurry low definition monitors, terrible phone headsets. Management is too cheap to even get the customer facing teams a password management program or a decent video making program.

-Crusty old vanilla people in every position of power in the company. It is a good ole boys country club environment. So many Vice Presidents whose only job is justifying their continued employment.

-Benefits nowhere near what other tech companies are offering in Chicago. Go ahead and try to take advantage of that "unlimited" PTO.

-The software is really outdated. I can't see how anyone with a modern taste and aesthetic can work on these glorified excel spreadsheet programs linked together with a Windows 98 feel. This might be cool for boring old finance people, can't see how anyone under the age of 35 can be happy with the product that gets put out.

-Horrible company wide meetings where you are forced to sit and listen to the CEO (with the charisma and presentation skills of a wet blanket) spout corporate marketing buzzwords trying to act like he knows what he is doing in this role. Protip: He doesn't. Take a look at his SEC filings (all public record) for his own hedgefund.

-Company has lost all feelings of a startup company and does not care about the individuals they employ. Company sets unrealistic growth expectations, then lays off a bunch of good people, and you see these disgusting corporate damage control responses talking about the "Realignment" that happened. You laid off actual people due to management incompetence and I am not going to let you get away with dehumanizing them as being cast aside as part of a realignment instead of what actually happened.

The bottom line is that if you can get hired here, you can get hired somewhere better. Don't waste your time.

Advice to Management

Clear out the country club retirement community you have amassed as senior leadership and stop thinking that some magic entity is going to come along and buy this convoluted mess and save you all from your own incompetence.

Feb 7, 2017 – VP, Client Services

We genuinely care about each employee’s happiness at work, and our employees are our number one concern. When working in a challenging technical and rapidly changing environment, we realize we can't ... More

"If they put the effort they're spending gaming Glassdoor into running the company..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Backstop Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They gave me a place to learn and level up over three and a half years
    Decent enough benefits, though not comparable to startups in the area
    The people who are still left at the company are generally kind and smart

Cons

They put up fake Glassdoor reviews to try to paper over the toxic culture that's grown as the management that has any experience working for a software company has all either left or been forced out and replaced by people who couldn't hack it in finance. The Peter Principle applies to just about everyone above the IC level in the org chart.

The fake reviews talk about a lack of politics and a feeling of accountability. Maybe they should hold people accountable for the bad decisions of the Board of Directors, like the nightmarish outsourcing process and the terrible code they're producing, or the lies that the CEO of the company told us to our faces about that process.

They're hemorrhaging people from the most technical and hard to hire roles and don't seem to understand why so many of us left, often not even bothering to schedule exit interviews with us.

There's a lot of duplicity and lack of accountability throughout the management structure. The company's goals seem aimed at appeasing the CEO's ego instead of actually making a product people want to use and helping them learn how to use it. Development priorities were rearranged after he discovered people were making fun of him and his software company on a private mailing list.

The new CTO wants developers to own their code, but organizational dysfunction means you're too busy putting out fires for the largest clients to ever spend time fixing past mistakes. They are too afraid to let you ship anything remotely risky in an innovate or die space. When everything is priority one, nothing is a priority.

Tech stack is Java and Oracle. Nothing is clustered, and the project that was working on that was shuttered and that team all left. There's barely any validation on anything in the back end, though this may be changing.

We went through a whole process of developing and articulating values, and then the company reneged on them in the space of a year.

If you're desperate for a job, and can make it through their unnecessarily stringent US interview process, you could also just get hired at a place that will pay you what you're worth and treat you with respect.

Advice to Management

Go back to finance, and make sure your replacements understand how software development happens.

Jan 25, 2017 – CTO

Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad that you found Backstop to be a good place to participate and learn for three years, and I’m sorry that you have negative feelings towards the company that ... More

"Sales"

Pros

Good people on each team

Cons

Outdated software, very small deal sizes (1/10th of what is advertised in job postings)

Advice to Management

look at the product and don't just hire more and more people

Feb 2, 2017 – SVP, Field Operations

Thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear your praise for people on the team as that echoes what we hear from our employees as one of the great parts of our culture. We’re truly fortunate to ... More